Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:26 am

Beat Castle Crashers. Cute game. Hope to play with friends.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:45 pm

Playing Gods Will Be Watching, fucking frozen camp level.
Guys, I told that in 23 little days we will get rescued, we already found a cure for a deadly virus in less than 27 hours while we were being infected by it, so why you play pansies now! :fistshake:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:46 am

I just completed Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. Now that was one hell of a cliffhanger ending with a scenario that seems downright impossible for the protagonists. If I had played the game back when it was released and would have known that it would take 8 years for the story to continue, I would have been mad as hell.

Anyway, the game itself was pretty entertaining although it certainly didn't live up to the high standard of the original Longest Journey. Visually it was some inconsistent as the quality of the character models and textures were spotty here and there and most obviously the character animations really stood out as dated. The original Longest Journey was at least consistent in its graphics so it has aged a bit better than Dreamfall. The control scheme was also quite clunky and tough to get used to and it was even more irritating when it was combined with a very crude (and pretty much unnecessary) action and stealth elements. Puzzle solving was streamlined to the point that it didn't really feel like a classic point-and-click puzzle adventure game in the vein of the original. While I'm not missing the insane inventory puzzles of the original, I was somewhat disappointed to find that the gameplay didn't really prove to be challenging at all and some of the puzzles were replaced with silly minigames.

While the gameplay was disappointing, it rarely got in the way of enjoying the writing. Just like the original Longest Journey, Dreamfall delivered a genuinely rewarding and mature story although it sometimes played around with rather naive extremities when it comes to its exploration of cultural and religious conflict, but in the end it handled the issues decently enough. What I like about both games is how they gradually develop the central protagonist that comes across as a one-dimensional teenager at first, but ends up turning into a character with very tangible emotions and motives that feel genuine.

Oh, and Dreamfall had really awkwardly placed insert songs that felt really jarring at times.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:16 pm

Finished Gods Will Be Watching and truly, being Sergeant Burden is suffering, and after seeing the end, I think I get it:
SPOILER: Show
we are the Gods that keep watching and making him repeat! :bigeyes:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:21 am

Oh God Hyrule Warriors is addicting, I need more DLC.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:39 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Hyrule Warriors

:crybaby: All these games! ALL THESE GAMES I must finish! I'm not sure I can even list them all.

But I'll try  SPOILER: Show

Alice: Madness Returns
Alien: Isolation
Assassin's Creed 3
Bastion
Bayonetta 2
Bioshock Infinite
The Bridge
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Dark Souls 2
The Darkness 2
Disgaea 4
Dishonored
DmC
The Evil Within
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Frozen Synapse
GTA: Episodes from Liberty City
Hyrule Warriors
Lightning Returns
Mirror's Edge
Nihilumbra
Papers, Please
Persona 4
Recettear
Resident Evil: Revelations
Scribblenauts Unmasked
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux
Shadow Warrior (the remake)
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Syberia
Tomb Raider (2013)
The Walking Dead (still on Season 1!)

...And that's just games I've at least started, which aren't replays, and that I actually at least kind of care about finishing -- meaning, excluding things like Far Cry 4 where completing it wouldn't matter that much to me, and Saints Row 4 which I've dropped in disgust, but also things like Fallout: New Vegas that you don't "really" finish.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:55 am

^
To be honest Good Sir, the only one that I want to play on your list is Scribblenauts.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:07 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote::crybaby: All these games! ALL THESE GAMES I must finish! I'm not sure I can even list them all.

Assassin's Creed 3
Bastion
Bayonetta 2
Bioshock Infinite
The Bridge
Dark Souls 2
The Darkness 2
Disgaea 4
Dishonored
DmC
The Evil Within
Frozen Synapse
Hyrule Warriors
Lightning Returns
Mirror's Edge
Nihilumbra
Papers, Please
Persona 4
Recettear
Scribblenauts Unmasked
Syberia
Tomb Raider (2013)

...And that's just games I've at least started, which aren't replays, and that I actually at least kind of care about finishing -- meaning, excluding things like Far Cry 4 where completing it wouldn't matter that much to me, and Saints Row 4 which I've dropped in disgust, but also things like Fallout: New Vegas that you don't "really" finish.

You can run through Bayonetta 2 pretty quickly; each chapter isn't really that long, just really action-packed.

I wouldn't bother playing The Evil Within if I was you.

Alien Isolation does suffer from a bit of Ending Fatigue towards the end so you'll need stamina for that one.

I would have finished Scribblenauts but I was having too much fun testing out different weapons and engineering gun fights with giant robots and Cthulhu.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:45 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote::crybaby: All these games! ALL THESE GAMES I must finish! I'm not sure I can even list them all.

Assassin's Creed 3
Bastion
Bayonetta 2
Bioshock Infinite
The Bridge
Dark Souls 2
The Darkness 2
Disgaea 4
Dishonored
DmC
The Evil Within
Frozen Synapse
Hyrule Warriors
Lightning Returns
Mirror's Edge
Nihilumbra
Papers, Please
Persona 4
Recettear
Scribblenauts Unmasked
Syberia
Tomb Raider (2013)

risky's revenge is like 4 hours at most dude, hell you get an achievement for speedrunning the game in under 2.
it really shouldn't take that long to beat :P
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:34 am

Assassin's Creed 3
Bastion
Bayonetta 2
Bioshock Infinite
The Bridge
Dark Souls 2
The Darkness 2
Disgaea 4
Dishonored
DmC
The Evil Within
Frozen Synapse
Hyrule Warriors
Lightning Returns
Mirror's Edge
Nihilumbra
Papers, Please
Persona 4
Recettear
Scribblenauts Unmasked
Syberia
Tomb Raider (2013)

Pro tip: you can finish Recettear in one day, if all you care about is the story and you don't really intend to beat it 100%.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:34 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:risky's revenge is like 4 hours at most dude, hell you get an achievement for speedrunning the game in under 2.
it really shouldn't take that long to beat :P

*looks at 111 hours logged into Dark Souls 2 (on my account)*

You understand the concept of opportunity cost, right? :lol:

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:You can run through Bayonetta 2 pretty quickly; each chapter isn't really that long, just really action-packed.

I know. I was burning through them at a prodigious rate but I've since paced myself on purpose because the game is so much fun that I don't want it to be over too soon.

I wouldn't bother playing The Evil Within if I was you.

That bad? Yyyikes.

I would have finished Scribblenauts but I was having too much fun testing out different weapons and engineering gun fights with giant robots and Cthulhu.

I liked Unlimited better because I'm not a big DC fan, in fact the DC aesthetic kind of grates on me. For me it was the Scribblenauts part of the title that drew me. Methinks the dichotomy will keep me moving along the game at a healthy pace and also discourage me from sticking around too long after the end.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:51 am

^I am having a similar experience in being torn between Wind Waker, SSB4, Dark Souls: PtD Edition and the ongoing DoTA free-untradeable-item-sets kerfuffle.

But I prioritise Dark Souls, of course.

And I'm nothing like you

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:06 pm

BioShock Infinite

Like the story, like the characters, like the themes and the setting. Still 'meh' on the actual gameplay though. Why can I only carry two guns? Such bullshit. This is not reality, I want to be able to carry an entire arsenal on my person. Hell, I could just have Elizabeth store in some other dimension or whatever.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:57 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:This is not reality, I want to be able to carry an entire arsenal on my person.

I have never gotten used to and never liked the Halo-esque "only two weapons" philosophy in any game that uses it. What inevitably winds up happening is that far too many weapons I might otherwise give a try go largely unused because I want to stick with safer bets. And it's annoying to be in a situation where a certain weapon would be really cool to use but "oh! I traded it out for this other one".
System Administrator

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:23 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:BioShock Infinite

Like the story, like the characters, like the themes and the setting. Still 'meh' on the actual gameplay though. Why can I only carry two guns? Such bullshit. This is not reality, I want to be able to carry an entire arsenal on my person. Hell, I could just have Elizabeth store in some other dimension or whatever.

It is very jarring that a game can portray interdimensional travel and time travel and yet won't let you access hammerspace.

And I'm nothing like you

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:12 pm

Gemini Rue turned out to be a slightly disappointing point-and-click adventure. Published by the same company that delivered the brilliant Blackwell series, Gemini Rue is set in a sci-fi world with very heavy noir overtones. The best things about the game are the gloomy atmosphere and the cyberpunk setting, but its thematic adventures fall quite short of their ambitious goals. It ends up being a rather superficial take on memory and identity and its entertainment value depends on its many twists, most of which can be seen coming in advance. It was compelling and short enough for me to finish the game, but it didn't live up to the expectations set by the company's other work and the press.

I also managed to start playing the Gabriel Knight series and have already finished the first game, Sins of the Fathers. While exploring old adventure classics that in some cases I don't really have a thing for the puzzles and in some cases that disappoints me even if the game is great otherwise. Gabriel Knight featured just the sort of puzzles that I don't like: they often rely on small details found only with pixel hunting (and in this case you can't even see the points of interaction unless you click on everything) and the logic of some of the puzzles is rather bizarre. While Gabriel Knight didn't delight in bizarre inventory puzzles, it was often very hard to figure out what I was supposed to do next. However, checking the hardest parts from a guide didn't actually hurt the experience even though it does so in many other games. The writing itself was so damn good and even learning the answers of the puzzles by reading made them fascinating enough. So for me the game was more of an interactive novel than a proper adventure game, but it was entertaining and impressive nevertheless. I look forward to playing the other two games of the trilogy and hope they have a more straightforward interface and not as obscure puzzles.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:56 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I have never gotten used to and never liked the Halo-esque "only two weapons" philosophy in any game that uses it.

You know, apart from the 2 weapon limit, the original 3 Halo games, multiplayer wise, really aren't responsible for most trends that are in modern FPS games these days, they had classic arena-like setups, the changes in 4 'modernised' the series, a la fun removal.
Last edited by Tankred on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:06 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:You know, apart from the 2 weapon limit, the original 3 Halo games, multiplayer wise, really aren't responsible for most trends that have are in modern FPS games these days

I noticed as much back when I played the first 3 games.
View Original PostI wrote:Gameplay-wise, I obviously haven't played nearly enough to judge, but it struck me even this early how ... um... unlike modern (cover-based) shooters this game is, which I find to be ironic because for some reason for the longest time I just naturally assumed that Halo was the one to blame for introducing everything about modern shooters that I hate (except for cover mechanics, which I already knew Halo did not have).
System Administrator

Lu-Cuss
Adam

Postby Lu-Cuss » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:51 pm

I've been playing Soldier of Fortune 2 lately. It's got glitches, a boring story, and unskippable cutscenes. Despite all that the gameplay is awesome if you like FPS. There's plenty of guns, lots of gore, and a great shotgun which is something I'm a stickler for. I hear that the multiplayer's great too, but I wouldn't know because the game was released almost 13 years ago and I doubt anyone's even online anymore.
Mountain... Heavy mountains. Things that change over time.
Sky... Blue sky. What your eyes can't see. What your eyes can see.

"You gotta be you. Only one in the world." - Hideki Kamiya

Dr. Talos
Adam

Postby Dr. Talos » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:28 pm

Gonna be picking up Homeworld Remastered today. Homeworld is one of my favorite games of all time and just about the only one that manages to do justice to combat in space. Nothing quite like watching your strike craft strafing a battle cruiser through a hail of flack and point defense system fire or jumping literally on top of an enemy fleet and watching them attempt to reorient themselves.

For an RTS and really for any game when it comes down to it Homeworld had an excellent story. It had such a perfect combination of story, sound and visuals that came together to make a sweeping yet personal epic where you travel the endless expanse of space in exile searching for home.

I was really concerned that Gearbox would screw up yet another series but from all sources it seems they really put a huge amount of effort into it and it seems to have come out great. Cannot wait!

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”