Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TeS Hayami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TeS Hayami » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:43 pm

New HD Telecine confirmed.

Life now has a meaning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3nuaeMdH0

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Well at least the worst case scenario is eliminated now.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:17 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Yeah, a series is way too expensive for me to buy from Japan. Once Blu-rays get up over $100 I start feeling as though I shod have spent the money on something else, and I don't enjoy the series as much as a result. $60 BDs are my limit.

Yeah, dropping over 300 beans on a DVD set that isn't region one and doesn't have English subs is far too much of a runaround, especially at that price.

I'd rather just buy it when it gets released in the states if that's how much they're gonna charge for it. I don't wanna have to modify everything in my DVD set after blowing my monthly student loan payment on DVDs, even if it is the BluRay release of my favorite TV show.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:27 pm

For the BD Box, both Japan and North America are Region A.

Why anyone would want the silly, horribly obsolete DVD format box I have no idea.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:34 pm

I've posted this a few times before, but here's a quick history/explanation on WTF Japanese media costs so much, for those who haven't read it: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07

Edit:

Err, you'll want the DVD box if you'll want OA 21-24 and original Death, along with some other things the BD box excludes. I'm personally happy with just the eventual BD box.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Adaminator1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adaminator1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:09 pm

View Original PostTeS Hayami wrote:New HD Telecine confirmed.

Life now has a meaning.

I'll wait for an actual official confirmation before getting my hopes up.
I finally put something here!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:28 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I've posted this a few times before, but here's a quick history/explanation on WTF Japanese media costs so much, for those who haven't read it: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07

Edit:

Err, you'll want the DVD box if you'll want OA 21-24 and original Death, along with some other things the BD box excludes. I'm personally happy with just the eventual BD box.

Don't you mean OA 1-20? I thought OA 21-24 were always readily available (Reiquarium shenanigans notwithstanding).

And aren't we talking the televised Death (true) here, vs. the original Death? My understanding was that the Archive set was the televised stuff, which was Broadcast + Death (true). Death and Death (true) 2 appear to be in the BD set.

Which means I need to get both sets. I am grumpy.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:54 pm

OA 21-24 proper aren't available unless you have something pre-Renewal (Platinum).

The breakdown of what's included is thankfully here (which is good, because those different versions of DEATH just confuse me): http://www.evangelion.co.jp/ng.html

But it's all the "first cut" of the original NGE (1-26) according to the page (so, OA 21-24 too), at least.

So it looks like even the extras on both the DVD and BD sets are different--which makes sense since they want people to buy both. :money: I like how they're including the old specials (including the music videos!) on the Bluray, but the 2 DVD specials sound interesting: "Death and Rebirth Special (Vol 1-5)" and "Everything Evangelion Death and Rebirth Complementation Project". :huh:

I wonder if all the extras will be remastered then? And if the included pamphlets will just be a re-hash of what the Renewal booklets had, or anything brand new?

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:10 pm

I KNEW that region-free DVD player would pay off someday! Now I just need to find the money to buy THIS thing...

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:12 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:OA 21-24 proper aren't available unless you have something pre-Renewal (Platinum).

Wait, aren't the non-DC edits of 21-24 OA proper? If not, what are they?

The breakdown of what's included is thankfully here (which is good, because those different versions of DEATH just confuse me): http://www.evangelion.co.jp/ng.html

I don't speak moon, so I don't know what to make of that . . .

But it's all the "first cut" of the original NGE (1-26) according to the page (so, OA 21-24 too), at least.

In the archive, you mean? Stupid DVD is looking to be damn important in the grand scheme of things . . .
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:00 pm

Oh boy. So you know what the first world's biggest problem since WWII is? Retailer exclusive bonuses:

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3561.html

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:20 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Wait, aren't the non-DC edits of 21-24 OA proper? If not, what are they?

I'm referring to this stuff: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_22_OA_vs._DC So I don't know what it'd mean for 1-26 (excluding OA) though since I didn't watch any of the original releases (LDs, first DVDs, etc).

Moon isn't that hard with translation extensions these days, here ya go:

BD EXTRAS wrote:Planned Extras:
*Developed to include previous software releases
    Imageboard collection
    AR rush video
    Program publicity spots
    No Tel-Op OP & ED
    Genesis 0:0 IN THE BEGINNING Special Feature
    Various spots collection
    Genesis 0:0`THE LIGHT FROM THE DARKNESS
    Movie Version 26' Live Action Part (Special Rush edited version)
    All TV Series 30 second Next Episode Previews
    Movie version news flash and previews
    All AR Scripts

*Masayuki TV Series Promo Video Collection:
    Full Size OP
    Full Size ED
    Soul's Refrain
    THANATOS - IF I CAN’T BE YOURS
    ARMAGEDDON
    Memories of Heaven

DVD EXTRAS wrote:*Special programs from the Rebroadcasting:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion......Reboot - Death and Rebirth The Movie SPECIAL(VOL.1~VOL.5)
    Everything Evangelion The Movie - Death and Rebirth Complementation Project

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:24 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Oh boy. So you know what the first world's biggest problem since WWII is? Retailer exclusive bonuses:

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3561.html

Correct, the reason Hyrule Warriors preorders were so controversial, good thing they became DLC later on.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:55 am

Is there any chance the Japanese release will come with English subs?

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:49 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Wait, aren't the non-DC edits of 21-24 OA proper? If not, what are they?

They're basically the Renewal versions of 21'-24' (redrawings and all) with the NPC scenes excised. It's not the same as the original 21-24 broadcast on TV (and also found on the "Genesis 0:X" VHS/LD release).

And regarding the price, the 2003 "Monolith" DVD box set (KIBA-91001) had a slightly higher MSRP than the upcoming BD box set (JPY 39,800 to JPY 38,000).

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:40 am

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:Is there any chance the Japanese release will come with English subs?

I think the more important question is "If there are English subs, will they be good?" If they just copy the Platinum Edition subs word-for-word that would be great, but the series has had a troubled past with English translation because of all the cryptic jargon that gets thrown around.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:39 am

Much of the special features actually do excite me greatly. Guess I should start saving my pennies for at least the BD version for right now.

Though, even with the translation from Moon, I’ve had no idea what either of the “GENESIS 0:0” specials are until I just googled them. Man, an interview with Anno is gonna be hard to pass up.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:12 pm

The BD and DVD details say nothing about English subtitles (just Japanese audio 5.1 channel surround), so most likely not. Unless that's something that'd be mentioned later on.

It's pretty rare for Japanese imports to include subs or English dubs since it's for a Japanese market, but these days it happens every so often (Ghibli stuff, Madoka, I forget what else).

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:15 pm

As far as I know, no Japanese home video releases of Evangelion included English subs. There's no reason to believe this will be any different.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:48 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:It's pretty rare for Japanese imports to include subs or English dubs since it's for a Japanese market, but these days it happens every so often (Ghibli stuff, Madoka, I forget what else).

Gunbuster vs Diebuster (i.e. the films, but not the series).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”