Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:41 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Finally finished playing the first Bayonetta so I can go out and buy the second game.

Why didn't you just go out and buy Bayo 2 anyways cause it comes with Bayo 1 y'know?
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:30 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:Why didn't you just go out and buy Bayo 2 anyways cause it comes with Bayo 1 y'know?

Well, I already had the game and was halfway through it before Bayo 2 came out.

Also, it takes ages for games to arrive at my local game store so I figured I might as well finish the first game before the second actually arrives.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Jumped into Dead Space: Extraction on Wii. So far, not recommended for fans of Dead Space or for fans of light gun games. It's not particularly good at either.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Imperialism has been taking up a lot of my free time lately. It's a fairly simple, yet incredibly frustrating turn based strategy game based around resource management, military strategy, and economics. As the name suggests the theme of the game is mercantile capitalism.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:06 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie, also on SNES

My parents bought my brother and I the Genesis version of this game for Christmas '95. Even though it doesn't appear to be the exact same game as the SNES version, I'll just say that I remember my bro and I beating it in about an hour, and I don't think any game should be beaten in an hour by someone who was barely six.

-----------------------------------------------------------
On Monday I beat Majora's Mask after playing it for about two weeks, which I don't think is that bad(I am aware of the people who beat Zelda games in like ten minutes ^_^ ). I had a good time with it, and really enjoyed getting that couple back together. Although I didn't use a strategy guide this time around, I wonder how many of the puzzles in the game I subconsciously remembered from when I beat it in Dec. 2000.

A friend of mine spoke to me about MM about a week before I started my replay and he was saying how when we first played the game as ten year olds we couldn't really appreciate it, which I found to be most true in the design of the moon's interior. Its beauty is so much that it makes you not even want to fight Majora's Mask at all so you could just stay in that field forever.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I've also been playing the arcade version of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 a couple times a week for the last month or so. My team is always Jill and Sakura, and then wither BB Hood or Sonson. I think the whole concept behind MvC2 is really great, with all the characters and moves and combos, but I really really stink at the game. Whenever anyone challenges me I usually get royally whipped. But I still think that's better than playing professionally and thus only being allowed to use a couple different characters, none of which can summon fire zombies.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:42 am

I made a Civ 5 map. It's very rudimentary, but i'll update it further.
[url]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=348952298&searchtext=[/url]
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:02 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I made a Civ 5 map. It's very rudimentary, but i'll update it further.
[url]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=348952298&searchtext=[/url]

I need to keep this one in mind once/if I buy Civ 5 for my new PC.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:08 am

Thanks! It still needs fine-tuning, but it's playable.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

May have played that....B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:03 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Since I recently played through Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on SNES,

Wait, is that the one where you played through clips of Megazord fights, FMV style? And the blue ranger un-morphed looks fat?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Well I acquired yet more games to play, and by "yet more" I mean "2". To be exact:

Fallout 3 GOTY edition (in the most suspicious looking box ever...oh, Game, never change...)
Lollipop Chainsaw

So those should be fun. Can't wait to mod the shit out of Fallout 3.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Bryant
Adam

Postby Bryant » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:51 pm

Finally got around to play Persona Q:Shadow of the Labyrinth after around 5 months of it being on my shelf
Bryant Keitel

Been a fan of Evangelion for 19 years! I hope to continue be a fan till the day I die!

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

Postby ::KL7:: » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Kind of embarrassed to admit it this but I just recently beat Twilight Princess. :facepalm:

I had fallen so far behind on console games. I just recently started playing god of war 3 again after stopping about half ways. And currently have 26 stars on Mario galaxy.

Other than console games. I tried a bunch of different mmo's. The only one I currently still play is Chaos Fighters. It's one of the better ones I've played, lots of different skills and it's simple to understand. What's neat is they've been introducing new "legendary fighters" some of them based off of anime characters.

My character.
SPOILER: Show
ImageSaber from Fate stay night
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:08 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:Kind of embarrassed to admit it this but I just recently beat Twilight Princess.
Embarrassing because you've only just now beaten it, or because you played it until the end?

Either way, there is no shame. Well, not much.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:55 pm

So, Dead Space: Extraction was not terribly good, so I decided to follow it up with Dead Space 2, another game that I failed to complete on two separate occasions. Third time's a charm, I just finished it up this evening. I still liked the first Dead Space better, however I do like that they replaced the zero gravity jumping with zero gravity free-floating.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Having never played any Dead Space games, I wonder, are they actually scary, in any way?
Compared to early Silent Hill and Resident Evil, perhaps?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:21 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Having never played any Dead Space games, I wonder, are they actually scary, in any way?
Compared to early Silent Hill and Resident Evil, perhaps?

Some jump scares, things bursting through things suddenly, as well as some creepy stuff, and of course, a lot of gore.

I can't really compare, I've never played a Silent Hill game (Silent Hill is currently on my short list) and I've only played a little bit of the original three Resident Evil games. Compared to those, I'd say Dead Space is scarier. It's pretty good at creating a tense atmosphere where at any time something could jump out at you, the sound design in particular is excellent. You really feel like you're roaming a real space ship/station.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Dead Space seems to have a huge variety of opinions on whether or not it's actually scary. In my case, I didn't find it scary in the least, because things jumping out at me are not scary on their own. As Yahtzee puts it, "It's not scary, it's just startling".

And yet one of the scariest games I ever played was SCP-087, the defining element of which is its climactic jump-scare. But the scariest part of that game was not the jump-scare -- it was the anticipation of it. The knowing it was coming and you don't know when. The build-up was truly phenomenal; to this day I remember the sheer icy chill that ran through my body as this unexplained high-pitched whistle noise like a tea kettle (which appears only on some playthroughs and not on others) grew louder and louder within the game as I descended the stairs, and the chill I felt rose in proportion with the sound and I just knew that the jump scare I was dreading was going to come when it reached a certain point... and it didn't. The whistle reached a peak and then gradually faded.

That game knows suspense.

Dead Space does not replicate that in the least. It's too well-defined, too scripted, and much too in-your-face. You often know when the jump scares are coming, or, even when you don't, you know what general classification of thing will be perpetrating it -- the basic idea of what it will look like and what it will probably do to you. A game like SCP-087 was different not only for its unscriptedness but for the utter unknowability of the thing you would encounter, a thing running on rules of its own entirely divorced from the surrounding reality. The SCP series in general haunts me more than bio-horror because bio-horror is so well-defined.

Silent Hill with its inherent surreality and psychological focus is therefore more my speed as far as legit scares go.

There's also a lot I'm leaving out in this description about how the directorial style of a game can make or break a sense of sensibility and "rules-following" that takes away a lot of the scare factor of a game, and maybe that's actually more important than everything else put together and if Dead Space had been directed differently (as in, more like a Silent Hill game) I wouldn't have said any of the rest of this, but I think these are all contributing factors.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:38 pm

^The sequels make it even worse by veering more and more towards action territory. Dead Space is gory, sure, but it's not really terrifying because after a while you get used to its basic structure: Go to location while fighting a few enemies. When you get to your objective it will summon more enemies. Proceed to next level and repeat. While they attempt psychological horror with the hallucination sequences, they're pretty mild compared to the sort of mindfucks Silent Hill likes to pull.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Eeexactly. That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of as I wrote it and everything.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:57 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:And yet one of the scariest games I ever played was SCP-087, the defining element of which is its climactic jump-scare. But the scariest part of that game was not the jump-scare -- it was the anticipation of it. The knowing it was coming and you don't know when. The build-up was truly phenomenal; to this day I remember the sheer icy chill that ran through my body as this unexplained high-pitched whistle noise like a tea kettle (which appears only on some playthroughs and not on others) grew louder and louder within the game as I descended the stairs, and the chill I felt rose in proportion with the sound and I just knew that the jump scare I was dreading was going to come when it reached a certain point... and it didn't. The whistle reached a peak and then gradually faded.

That game knows suspense.
I whole-heartedly agree.
Last edited by Sorrow on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”