Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:09 pm

View Original Postath wrote:Side by side for your viewing pleasure: Guides:Episode 23 OA vs. DC
Episode 22 too shows some interesting differences between the DC and the Renewal versions, especially during Asuka's mindrape scenes. Don't forget to read the "Renewal OA" disclaimer at the top of the page.

“Death sex” (lit. “Todd SeX”) was excised from Asuka mind-rape scene in the Renewal version?

“Death sex” was a thing in the mind-rape scene to begin with?

DAMN Anno, you were a sick, sick man!

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:10 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I'll buy the archive version if the original dub for EOE is included, complete with Hyugas hilariously miscast voice.

There is no EoE in the archive DVD set...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:41 pm

I always preferred the OA versions myself. It will be nice to have everything in one set. I could care less about the separate DVD set, although I'm sure the ultra-collectors will buy it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:08 pm

^
The separate DVD set is the on-air versions.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:10 pm

View Original Postvito wrote:There is no EoE in the archive DVD set...

Dangit.

painocus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby painocus » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:35 pm

If this comes out with acceptable English subtitles I'm all over this. (Be it a Japanese, Hong Kong, American or UK release.) Otherwise I'll most likely pass it up, I can make do with the DVDs until I can get a proper English-subbed release of EoE.

If they do redub it copyright-stuff would be the only real reason not to also include the original dub. Blurays here in Europe often have as many as 11 different audio tracks.

So about the Bluray set having 2 very similar versions of Death and two versions of End of Evangelion that are identical save for one having Death(true)^2 playing in front of it: Are they going to do the thing where they only have one version of the identical parts on a single disc and have it arrange the scenes depending on which version you choose, or are they going to have 3 discs for the films alone? I don't know how this stuff is usually handled on BDs so I need someone to speculate for me.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:“Death sex” (lit. “Todd SeX”) was excised from Asuka mind-rape scene in the Renewal version?

“Death sex” was a thing in the mind-rape scene to begin with?

DAMN Anno, you were a sick, sick man!

Possibly a reference to Freud's death-drive and Eros-drive. Essentially Freud believed that all human wants are based on two fundamental drives, the longing for sex (and by extension survival) and the longing for death (be it your own or others).

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Death Sex is the name of Asuka's band.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:48 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Death Sex is the name of Asuka's band.

:fap: :fap:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:59 pm

The only way to go is by coming at the same time. Go out with a bang.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:28 pm

*Looks at old, worn Evangelion set* Well, it's been a good ride. but HOLY JEEZ! That's great news in time for Christmas, even if it isn't released until later next year. It would prove foolish for Funi to NOT do anything about it (hell, I'll even take the goofy Manga Entertainment dub of EoE if it means a legitimate release.)
It's truly an early Christmas present! [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoMG66db9Kg[/url]
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:04 am

You guys must really hate the show to want Funi releasing it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:50 am

What's your problem with them?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:51 am

View Original Postvito wrote:You guys must really hate the show to want Funi releasing it.

Yes, I hate this show so much that I want it competently released in NA for a reasonable price unlike fucking Aniplex. Say what you will about the 3.33 release fiasco, Funimation is generally very good with its releases.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:49 am

I hope this is a proper remaster of the series and that they do some 'cleanup' work as well

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:07 am

I'm assuming they are going back to the original (surviving) materials and using the most modern techniques to improve them, thereby sidestepping the secondary Renewal versions completely (on reflection, this implies that the answer to my earlier question is that the DC version of the Reiquarium will be the one with background images).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:25 am

Funimation is a terrible company that only survived the north american anime industry collapse because they hold some of the most popular licenses and certainly not through quality of their releases. They always cut every corner and are sometimes utterly incompetent at encoding. They always cheap out on the number of discs, cram as many episodes on each one as they can and the video quality suffers. Their Cowboy Bebop BD release has only half the bitrate of the Japanese discs. While for most digital shows and very clean 35mm anime that isn't a significant drop in quality, if they ever attempt to do the same with a grainy 16mm show like Eva, where every tiny bit of bitrate counts, that will be absolutely atrocious. Worse yet they're known for doing their own DNR which is always outright criminal.

The one and only hope for a good quality release of Eva is straight from Japan. Noone in the west, especially Funi can be trusted not to fuck it up even if Japan gives them good masters.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:31 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Yes, I hate this show so much that I want it competently released in NA for a reasonable price unlike fucking Aniplex. Say what you will about the 3.33 release fiasco, Funimation is generally very good with its releases.

While I'm not too fond of Aniplex's pricing, at least usually the quality is good, which is more than I can say for Sentai and Funimation. Both have a tendecy to reduce bitrate in order to cram more episodes per disc (less discs = cheaper). In turn the video quality suffers, especially if it will be a good remaster with grain left intact.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:02 am

The only reason why I stated that Funi should probably get the show is simply because they have a better chance at keeping the release rights to the show for the longest. Maiden Japan, Sentai Filmworks, and and Section23 are all sister companies of ADV, and we should all know ADV’s history of simply being a mismanaged company.

Now, I would absolutely love for NGE to be picked up by one of ADV’s other companies, because they at at least spend their time making a better product. And if they can prove that they’re better at keeping an honest business running and therefore maintaining the rights to whatever show they pick up, then they should also get NGE. (Honestly, more than anything, I would love for RghtStuf to translate the work over. Their attention to detail is astounding, as proven in their US release of Kare Kano. But I don’t think they’re in that kind of business anymore, and have since moved onto selling anime related merchandise. And even if they still translate shows, I doubt they have Blu-ray capabilities.)
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:07 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Sentai Filmworks

Doesn't Sentai have bad luck releasing shows? I read a lot about defected dvd/blu, audio issues and
recalls from them.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:15 am

will a dvd duplicate counterpart be released for these sets or will it JUST be blu ray?

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”