Your Game of the Year 2014

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Your Game of the Year 2014

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:11 am

With 2014 soon coming to a close, December is the month of thinking back and reflecting on the year. And while most people tend to reflect on life events, this is a game topic, so we'll reflect on the games that came out this year!

2014 was a very interesting year. It was the first full year of current gen systems being out on the market and it was also the year of many anticipated AAA titles. Interestingly enough, most of these big games disappointed. With the exception of a few of them being broken to a point of unplayability, most others were simply not the next gen titles we all expected. As such, I feel that 2014 was the year of the smaller games! Non big budget titles and handheld games.

I'm surprised that this year I would pick Child of Light over Titanfall, Tales of Xillia 2 over Watchdogs, Freedom Wars over Destiny, Pokemon over FarCry4 and Persona Q over AC-Unity. I honestly enjoyed the smaller less mainstream games (aside from Pokemon, it's still rocking the top charts) over these big cinematic experiences. Perhaps these big titles forgot what people play games for, which is simply fun.

So lets hear it, what are your favorite games of 2014? (note: game had to have come out this year)
Feel free to have up to 4 honorable mentions and 1 GOTY.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Sad it is. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:01 am

I guess Pokemon, as it's the only '14 game I've played. -o-;
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:15 am

I'd go with alien isolation for being the best alien game to come out in a while and being a solid single player experience. Oddly enough 2013 had some of the best single player experience. GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, and Last of Us. Also ive haven't played it yet but super smash bros 4 or whatever its called would probably at the top, if id ever get around it and get a wii u
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:39 am

Smash Brothers 4, hands down. I went from being depressed to feeling like my life had meaning again when I got that game. It also pulled the miracle of being good enough to make me not only forgive but embrace its lack of transforming characters and also pull me into online gaming for the first time ever. Not that I'd never played online before, but I'd never played a game online consistently before, nor enjoyed it and far more than its single-player to boot.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:45 am

And this is where is would post shantae and the pirates curse.........IF I HAD IT! (damn you america, been waiting two months now)
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:50 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:And this is where is would post shantae and the pirates curse.........IF I HAD IT!

Your sexy dancing Shantae avatar lives on in our hearts.

And my hard drive.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:52 am

Oh don't worry im going back to that after christmas.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:41 am

I had to check lists of games released this year to remember whether I had actually played anything released this year. I'm spending more time catching up with releases of the past 5 years than actually playing (instead of just checking) new titles. The only ones I have played are Walking Dead's 2nd season and The Wolf Among Us - of which I preferred Walking Dead because I enjoyed its writing much more than The Wolf Among Us' awkwardly linear storyline. I also played Broken Age's Act 1 which was quite entertaining too, but I refuse to consider it a 2014 game, given that it is a game that has not yet been finished (damn you, Double Fine and Tim Schafer).

In any case, I've just bought a bunch of games released this year, but I won't be playing them until I have my new PC (which might take a week or two).
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:48 am

View Original PostOz wrote: The only ones I have played are Walking Dead's 2nd season ).

Bah, dragging myself through that 'grimdark for grimdark's sake' travesty was a horrible experience compared to the first game.

I can't settle for just one favourite game this year, but my top 4 would be Dark Souls II, Super Smash Bros. 4, Bayonetta 2 and Alien Isolation.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:10 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Bah, dragging myself through that 'grimdark for grimdark's sake' travesty was a horrible experience compared to the first game.

The first season was certainly better, but I think the second season was quite solid (and not guilty of unnecessary grimdarkness) right up until the end that forced you to choose between two overtly simplified choices. But even that was somewhat saved by the final thematic punchline that followed the choice and was satisfying in that it let the player choose how to interpret the season's main theme (relying on other people).
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:33 am

Dark Souls II.

Other games I played this year: Bayonetta 2 (Amazing), The evil within (Mediocre), The wolf among us (Great), Rayman legends (Great).

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:45 am

Smash, Pokemon, Tales of Xillia 2, they were kinda the only games that came out 2014 that I really cared about, 2015 looks way better.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:17 am

Dark Souls 2.

I haven't been playing video games as much, compared to a few years ago. But even if I did I bet DS2 would still be my favorite game of the year. Maybe if I'd played MGSV: Ground Zeroes, but I doubt it.

Also, I regret buying Watch Dogs.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:30 am

Dark Souls 2 is the next big item on my list and it may supplant Smash 4 if I play it in time.

You regret buying Watch Dogs? Uh oh! That bad? I was seriously considering getting it once it goes below $30.
System Administrator

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:55 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:You regret buying Watch Dogs? Uh oh! That bad? I was seriously considering getting it once it goes below $30.

Everything I have read and heard about it suggests that it is a huge disappointment.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:23 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Everything I have read and heard about it suggests that it is a huge disappointment.

Also, given the system requirements, can only be installed on some mid- to high-end PCs. But for the most part bugs and a neutered graphics engine were the primary negatives.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:52 am

Massive disappointment. Waste of time and money.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:23 am

The Waling Dead Season 2. Such an emotionally powerful game.
Everyone should play it!

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:13 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:The Waling Dead Season 1. Such an emotionally powerful game.
Everyone should play it!

Fixed that for you.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:28 am

^Yeah i sort of lost interest in season 2 after episode 2, partially because even though i made all the right decisions i got the feeling if i didn't look up what to do more people would die than needed, and i really dont want to get spoiled by a guide but i also want the best ending.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”