Super Smash Bros

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Sadly, can't relate that well. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:12 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I know, right?!

Can't say I do, I do the XKCD thing and play most AAA games in a 3-5-year cycle (and yes, I literally waited until 2012 to play the first Portal). The only one on the list that I *almost* have is Xenoblade, which was a gift to my sister. After seeing her go through it, I have no interest to play myself, as it seems too tedious.

The only game I may pick up this year-end would either be Vanquish or Fire Emblem, besides that, I'm only looking forward to getting the cables I need to play Rocksmith, and finishing my S-rank play through of Armored Core 4 & 5.

I may also finally pick up something in the Assassin's Creed series, but again, it'd be a gift for (a different) sister.

Pity there hasn't been a Warhammer release recently, been getting a hankering for that.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:48 am

^Got the game today. I'm having difficulty using the Wii U Gamepad to fight, though; I'm much more comfortable with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck combo. Other controllers may or may not be better but I for one am not going to waste cash on it. Tried For Glory mode, but got my ass kicked- maybe it was the Wii U controller (I'll be honest, sometimes it's difficult to jump or perform other life-saving manoeuvers with the thing) or maybe I'm just not good enough yet.

As far as characters go, I'm getting a fair bit of mileage out of Zero Suit Samus and Shulk. I tried Ike but found him a bit less effective than the faster characters. I did have the dishonor of fighting a guy who was extremely good at Link and could take me down no matter which character I tried. Link does seem a bit OP to me due to his combination of decent weight, great Smash power with his sword, and the ability to switch from powerful melee (regular and Smash attacks) to ranged Special attacks. I was hoping that regular armored Samus would be better than she was in Brawl (particularly now that she has a kickass Dark Samus colour palette) but she moves like a steam train through treacle and I swear they reduced the hitbox of her shoulder charge. Her weight doesn't make up for how difficult it can be to get her attacks to hit a target with good reflexes, and her Down Special is pretty much worthless because of how little damage it does, how short the bomb range is and how easy it is to block. I like Sheik's new grenade special, but I dislike the fact that her regular attack has been nerfed so it's easier to tech out of it and you can't trap people in it anymore. Zelda is still pretty solid, although her up Smash is a bit weaker. Palutena has a decent special, but good luck getting her regular Smashes to hit, and her down special isn't very good;

I like Zero Suit Samus mainly because of her mobility, ability to stun and her side special is still great. The addition of the rocket heels also makes her Smashes a lot more solid and creates satisfying explosions whenever you land a good hit. Her down special also has a lot more utility now, as it's both a potent attack and evasion move. I am a bit miffed that her up special is just a rocket kick and not a upwards plasma lasso, though, because it reduces her recovery a bit- I'll try and lasso upwards after falling but instead just jump up a bit and miss the platform due to misjudging my distances. It is a bit more powerful, though.

Shulk is a pretty solid character, and his ability to switch forms is useful too. His counter also looks awesome and does great damage is you can pull it off. His up special has the added bonus of letting you do a second short jump if the first fails, which also boosts recovery a great deal. He has much less weight than Link, though, but that can be mitigated because of his counter move, jump form and shield form. All his specials have some merit, although his side special can be difficult to land because of its odd arc which means if the enemy is right next to you it may not connect. His lightsaber Smashes are useful, particularly as they can make his range deceptive. Overall, he's my go-to guy for most matches, unless I want to use ZSS for ranged attacks or Link for tankiness Also, dat swimsuit xD.

Overall, the game is great. The graphics are awesome, fighting is even better than Brawl and the multiplayer system is superb; even out here in nowhere's dense, tropical arse I still find matches fairly regularly with little to no lag.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:01 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Link does seem a bit OP to me due to his combination of decent weight, great Smash power with his sword, and the ability to switch from powerful melee (regular and Smash attacks) to ranged Special attacks.

I don't think Link's OP at all -- rather he's finally competitive. After a long history of being not very good at all, Link is finally a contender.

Whether or not someone is OP probably differs at different levels of play, though.

I like Zero Suit Samus mainly because of her mobility, ability to stun and her side special is still great. The addition of the rocket heels also makes her Smashes a lot more solid and creates satisfying explosions whenever you land a good hit. Her down special also has a lot more utility now, as it's both a potent attack and evasion move.

As time goes on my proportion of playing as her, especially for long stretches, only increases. She's just that good, and as a fan of her from her first appearance I'm naturally quite happy. When I take a break from her it's usually as Zelda (who is fun to teleport around as) or Ike. I can't remember the last time I played anyone else, come to think of it, which has me thinking I need to branch out again. I do like Link...

This one guy I fought online in 4-way For Fun beat us all like 5 times in a row as Sonic, which was quite a surprise. Sonic, succeeding at something post-90s? As a long-time (and arguably lapsed) Sonic fan, I welcomed it.

I am a bit miffed that her up special is just a rocket kick and not a upwards plasma lasso, though, because it reduces her recovery a bit- I'll try and lasso upwards after falling but instead just jump up a bit and miss the platform due to misjudging my distances. It is a bit more powerful, though.

No way, that's my favorite move! :kaos_victory: Hitting someone with it just right is so incredibly satisfying and the highlight of my experience. I also use her flip jump like a boss. I love hitting people with it when they least expect it, either by attacking someone who's otherwise busy or by jumping over someone who's facing me and hitting them from behind. I love both these moves because they're not just powerful, you feel like a super-skill boss when you nail them.

And hey, speaking of differences between versions, I added my first friend that I met randomly playing online. :guitarpunk:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:57 pm

Managed to remedy some of my initial multiplayer woes after discovering you can now easily perform charged Smashes with the right analogue stick. I'm also finding that there's much more balance between the characters now, especially in For Glory Mode- I've fought people who absolutely failed at characters I consider easy, whereas other players strolled up in characters who were weak in Brawl and totally wrecked me. There seem to be some solid favourite characters but there isn't one particular character who everyone can play well, it seems.

And I'm nothing like you

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Painful tactics. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:05 am

I've heard that Zero Suit Samus' still-attack pose is disclocating her shoulder, as she's trying to fire, but keep her breasts pointed towards the viewer at the same time.

But I guess the titilation is worth it... :devil:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: Painful tactics. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:27 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I've heard that Zero Suit Samus' still-attack pose is disclocating her shoulder

I don't know what "still-attack pose" means. First guess: the pose that happens when you push A and nothing else while standing on the ground?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:44 pm

I have no idea of what "still-attack pose" means as well, but I guess you mean she is hawt and kick ass. :heehee:

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:47 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I've heard that Zero Suit Samus' still-attack pose is disclocating her shoulder, as she's trying to fire, but keep her breasts pointed towards the viewer at the same time.

But I guess the titilation is worth it... :devil:

He means when she's firing the Paralyser with her neutral special:

SPOILER: Show

And I'm nothing like you

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Oh, I get it and now I agree Alaska Slim's post. :lol:
Can't believe I haven't noticed such thing, looks very painful... and hawt...

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Im just going to pretend this is NOT an intentional excuse to show tits until the new Retro studios metroid is out and we get badass samus back as opposed to whatever was in other m.

I honestly refuse to play zero suit samus because its the other m version, i know that's petty as all hell but it ruined my favourite game series ever.

rant over......continue on with your day......
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:10 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote: until the new Retro studios metroid is out

keep dreaming :rolleyes:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:11 pm

EDIT 2: oh turns out that new project is NOT a new metroid game.........in good news i just found my gamecube again after 3+ years so i can finally play metroid prime with superior controls again......for the 1000000th time..........and a new star fox game is coming out thats good right?......fuck you nintendo :shinchair:
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:36 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:I honestly refuse to play zero suit samus because its the other m version

It's not the Other M version. It borrows influence from it, but it's pretty much its own thing. The hair is different, the voice is different, and most importantly of all she has a completely different attitude from the Other M incarnation. The Smash Brothers series' take on Samus is the most badass one of all time, complete with a badass voice (and dialogue, in her taunts) worthy of the character.
System Administrator

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:16 pm

You mean they got rid of little ms. whines a lot for her voice?
..........i may consider playing her now.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:43 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:He means when she's firing the Paralyser with her neutral special:

SPOILER: Show

To be fair, if anyone could adopt that pose it's Samus. She's more or less superhuman with the combination of Chozo DNA and years of training after all; it wouldn't surprise me if she's ridiculously flexible. She fits in that Morph Ball after all.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:49 pm

It was actually proven to fit into the morph ball samus has to be able to do a decent amount of contorting so yeah she is a contortionist.
Still that's not a very practical way to shoot a gun.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:57 pm

I'm not seeing a dislocated shoulder or the requirement for impressive flexibility. An unnatural pose (as in, not what one would instinctively do) sure. Not very comfortable either; but not something that requires any real struggle or talent to perform.

The morph ball on the other hand...
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:29 pm

^In Prime there's the heavy implication that Samus actually transforms into energy to use the Morph Ball (hence the glowing energy seen from within it in the 3D games). But I do agree that her Chozo DNA and training makes her unnaturally flexible, tough and strong (to the point she probably could fire in that position); they even lampshade it in Brawl in the optional Codec conversations.

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:You mean they got rid of little ms. whines a lot for her voice?
..........i may consider playing her now.

She has the same voice as her Brawl incarnation (Alesia Glidwell, the woman who voice Crystal from Star Fox, as opposed to Jessica 'Monotone' Martin from Other M). And her taunts are pretty badass.

Rocket-kicks opponent of the stage

Up-taunt

Zero Suit Samus: Is that all?

And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:40 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Rocket-kicks opponent of the stage

Up-taunt

I do that all the time. :devil:
System Administrator

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:27 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:^In Prime there's the heavy implication that Samus actually transforms into energy to use the Morph Ball (hence the glowing energy seen from within it in the 3D games). But I do agree that her Chozo DNA and training makes her unnaturally flexible, tough and strong (to the point she probably could fire in that position); they even lampshade it in Brawl in the optional Codec conversations.

She has the same voice as her Brawl incarnation (Alesia Glidwell, the woman who voice Crystal from Star Fox, as opposed to Jessica 'Monotone' Martin from Other M). And her taunts are pretty badass.

Rocket-kicks opponent of the stage

Up-taunt

Eh its not jennifer hale but close enough, i DID like her brawl voice.
So yeah......new metroid game when?

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”