EGF: Has It Changed? How? [split]

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:21 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It disintegrated shortly thereafter, reformed, and fell apart again within ten hours. I wanted no part of what came next, so I don't know what they're doing now.

Uh, chat never disintegrated, and is still alive and well.

Also, Reichu, it's not like the Skype group is the EGF Illuminati, anyone can join, just as long as they don't spam the chat, or go out of their way to be assholes and cause problems.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:22 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:And it certainly does suck, especially if you (like myself) have to hear about said groups constantly and know for a fact that people are talking dirt about you there. Then you can never look at anyone who partakes in that group the same ever again; its participants are ruined forever. This includes more EGF members than I care to list, honestly. It gets a bit tiresome being around lots of people whom I know relish the opportunity to not be around me. Probably one of the reasons I'm getting disenfranchised with this place.

There was a period where people in a Skype group expressed disdain over locking threads we thought needn't be locked, but never were they against you as a person. The only one who (to my knowledge) expressed actual vitriol was kicked out of the Skype group permanently after telling another member to kill himself because he disagreed on a social justice issue. Not sure about other groups, but the one i'm in will accept just about anyone, provided they have not been especially disruptive in the past. We have had two moderators in it, and one is still a member, and i'm certain that if you wanted in, we'd make a place for you.

The chat began for the Gifsound thread, and was primarily for discussion of ideas for gifsounds. Other people came and went, and it evolved into a chat that is mainly EGF members, but has people who did not visit the site until after the group began. Kazuki Fuse is one of them, iirc. While disdain towards certain policies and decisions here is openly voiced, as is dislike of certain posters, neither are the main focus. The main focus is simply a coalition of bros shooting the breeze.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:24 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote: so I don't know what they're doing now.

Popping bottles, smoking the finest cigars, and mindbreaking bitches.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Do people seriously think that the EGF chat can agree on anything for long enough to try and enact some kind of evil conspiracy? We have vicious arguments over whether Ranka or Sheryl is best girl for christ's sake.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:27 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Consider how we feel about the discussions you have backstage, then. I know for a fact that a lot of people with access to the place deeply dislike me, but I have no way of knowing who (and thanks to Las Vegas rules have no hope of ever finding out). It's the same thing, only these people have power over me, or at least my participation in the forums.

And I'd be happy to include you in any chat I was a part of if you actually wanted to talk to me, but I'm fairly sure you don't. But FWIW I've only seen you specifically badmouthed in one, and it so disgusted me that I quit the chat (after raging at the one who made the comment for a good half hour or so). It disintegrated shortly thereafter, reformed, and fell apart again within ten hours. I wanted no part of what came next, so I don't know what they're doing now.

There are people in the chat who dislike you, but that is not a position held by even the majority of the group.

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Popping bottles, smoking the finest cigars, and mindbreaking bitches.

You're really not helping our case.

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Spoilered for being not at all as mature as you claim. -NemZ

Not removing the spoiler, but the blatant immaturity really should hint that i was being very tongue-in-cheek.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:29 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:There are people in the chat who dislike you, but that is not a position held by even the majority of the group.

Probably true for Bags, but I'm relatively sure I'm still disliked by the majority of the members. :lol:

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:30 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Probably true for Bags, but I'm relatively sure I'm still disliked by the majority of the members. :lol:

Nah, i wouldn't go that far either.

I am willing to be open about what goes on, unless the majority of other chat members express discomfort with that. I don't want this to devolve into "Do they like me?" from a multitude of posters, but i certainly don't mind answering questions.
Last edited by TehDonutKing on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/hj

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:31 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Consider how we feel about the discussions you have backstage, then.

You don't have to get permission to go into the IRC chat rooms, you know. From what I understand, you don't go to IRC because you don't want to, not because you can't. And you wouldn't have missed a whole lot besides my pitiful tsundere venting. "To be honest, Bagheera isn't always so bad, BUT RIGHT NOW HE'S REALLY PISSING ME OFF, CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SHIT ARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH DFPOAJERPOGMADLNMVIOADNV OIADSGOIJDAGPOJAST[OEK;L [O AGJAIPOGJPOAERGH" My audience generally seems apathetic about you, which is probably for the best.

If you're talking about the Inner Sanctum -- well, there's a good reason that's hidden, and it's not to protect people's feelings. :p

But FWIW I've only seen you specifically badmouthed in one

From what I understand, I was ripped on quite a bit when I was still actively administrating. Now that I'm nobody, I only know of one person who's managed to hold a grudge -- whom I anticipate is the same one you raged at. (Wouldn't mind seeing those logs with a bag of popcorn in hand, but that's my masochistic side talking.)

[EDIT: Ninjaed excessively on some points.]

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:34 pm

There was disagreements with your policy on certain things, but no genuine ill will that i know of (at least among people who still participate in chat), and i highly doubt there's anyone who wishes actual harm on you or intended for you to be depressed or driven away.
/hj

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:38 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:Uh, chat never disintegrated, and is still alive and well.

It did, actually. I was part of it when it happened. It went down twice before the third and (presumably) current iteration came up.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:43 pm

It really didn't. We're still going strong to this very day. We can manage without you Bagsy-boo, believe it or not.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:43 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:Also, Reichu, it's not like the Skype group is the EGF Illuminati, anyone can join, just as long as they don't spam the chat, or go out of their way to be assholes and cause problems.
*cough*TDSA*cough*

That's the truth, though. As a general rule, the Skype chat is basically just an unmoderated backchannel. What happens there, by and large, stays there. We aren't the EGF gestapo, though.

I will go so far as to say that in the big chat (the one I run that June used to run), you aren't exactly well liked, Reichu. It's not that we are exclusive, but we add and remove members more or less along the lines of popular vote, because of the size of the group. Naturally, this leads to a lot of interpersonal political bullshit. For example, CJD refuses to be in the same chat as Paranoid (not that he wants to be part of the chat, anymore). Nobody wants Nuke-kun in chat. It's not because they aren't allowed it's that if they were to join people would leave. It's quite the catch-22 and is a delicate balance of deciding if it is worth it for some people to leave for other people to join.

View Original PostReichu wrote:You don't have to get permission to go into the IRC chat rooms, you know. From what I understand, you don't go to IRC because you don't want to, not because you can't.
There isn't a list of people who are banned from being in the chat, it's that there are so many people that adding more people will inevitably piss someone off. You're not exactly special, in this regard. There's just a larger group of people that don't like you. I'm not your biggest fan, but if you wanted in and the rest of that chat was okay with it, I would just put up with it.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It did, actually. I was part of it when it happened. It went down twice before the third and (presumably) current iteration came up.
Not really. There was chat version 1 that I ran, that died. There was chat version 2 that June ran for a year. June wanted control changed over and I created a new one that's the new big chat. I mean, there's the branch-off chat, but that's it.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:44 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It did, actually. I was part of it when it happened. It went down twice before the third and (presumably) current iteration came up.

So was I.
It went down so we could give more people mod powers, and the first time so we could keep Katana and AlexSoryuu out. It's the exact same as it was before, just with more mods, and thankfully, less Katana. It didn't break up because we hated each other so much we devolved into shit flinging chimps.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:48 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:It went down so we could give more people mod powers, and the first time so we could keep Katana and AlexSoryuu out. It's the exact same as it was before, just with more mods, and thankfully, less Katana. It didn't break up because we hated each other so much we devolved into shit flinging chimps.
At the moment, there are only two mods, excluding myself: Xard and Merri. June was pretty laissez-faire about making new mods, but I'm more anal about who becomes mods and who doesn't. We used to have a lot of problems with people kickbanning each other.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:49 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:It really didn't. We're still going strong to this very day. We can manage without you Bagsy-boo, believe it or not.

Squig, I watched most of the chat leave on two occasions before I joined them. If it goes from 27 or so down to five that counts as it falling apart, and if it forms under a new name that's a new chat even if it includes all the same people. That happened twice when CJD had his meltdown. I realize you probably got everyone back, and I wasn't implying it had anything to do with me. Just noting that it happened.

Edit: unless Skype counts it as a different convo if you leave and are added back in later. That might account for the confusion.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:05 pm

The "chat group" is no monolith and has gone down like Phoenix many times along the way for multitude of reasons and dramas. I think at the moment there are 2-3 different chats with partly overlapping memberships and I'm part of one of these. They're also strictly speaking not "EGF chats" due to starting in other context and for having members who are hardly members of EGF at all. Reichu too is welcome there if she wants to join. It's just that these chats haven't been stabile in memberships and the like in general people have adopted the "no additions unless everyone agrees" party line more often than not. There's only so many times you can kick out guy like TDSA before getting pissed off and insular after all ("we have group dynamic that works, don't rock the boat"). There are many members I'd personally like to call and have some of these on skype for one-to-one chats but it hasn't really been high on my list of priorities, especially since I've been basically waiting for slow death of latest chat for a long time by now. Also not all of these members are interested in the least so I haven't really been selling the idea over the place. :lol:

Anyway, the chat I'm part of has only like half of its long-going membership and those who have left have made others. It's more like mushrooms popping up and withering away than anything else. So to speak of "EGF chat" as if it is anything more than informal collective of groups is misleading.

Also these chats have had minimal effect on what I delineated as the changes in EGF so they can't really be held to have a lot responsibility. Apart from lessening OT activity of some regular chat members it has only ever affected forum when some of the drama has spilled over from there to shitposting on EGF, something I've stressed many times should be avoided under all circumstances. That's about it, really.

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Do people seriously think that the EGF chat can agree on anything for long enough to try and enact some kind of evil conspiracy? We have vicious arguments over whether Ranka or Sheryl is best girl for christ's sake.

Last time yesterday I think. :hahaha:

But yeah place I have at times avoided for weeks because I've been busy and not interested in some inane bullshit blabber going on is severely overestimated when treated as some sort of EGF Illuminati full of rebels planning a coup. At least they can't do it in chat where I am present, not sure about others. :tongue:
Last edited by Xard on Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:36 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:This place is full of people constantly disagreeing; even disagreeing on when it's okay to disagree. A bit of chit chat about their lives in the off-topic, but mostly disagreements.

I see people who disagree a ton still getting along just fine with each other (e.g. Bagheera and NemZ). The staff roster alone is a mosaic of differing opinions even on fundamental elements of how to interpret fiction let alone the particulars of the series, and yet we get along just fine. Disagreement alone is no cause for concern.

I assume what you mean is that you see a lot of people disagreeing and not getting along with each other. Well, that's a natural result of us not being exclusive: People who naturally rub existing members the wrong way are going to show up.

If you think the place is full of too much friction, be the change you wish to see. Be better than what you expect of other people. Turn the other cheek, and all that. People might start following your example. And even if they don't, at least you're being part of the solution and not the problem.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:02 pm

Applause
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:09 pm

All this discussion about Skype and whatnot has me wondering what other people think of me and the kinds of things they say regarding my activity, if anything. I think Mugwump described me best back in the day: that guy who everybody recognizes but nobody really knows anything about. I'd like to think I'm well-regarded considering there have only been maybe three or four active posters I've had contentious relationships with in the past but at the same time, I've never really been close buddies with anyone here either.

On that note, I've thought about asking to join an EvaGeeks chat occasionally but I never felt like I was involved in the community enough to get the full effect. And also time constraints.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:15 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote: I think Mugwump described me best back in the day: that guy who everybody recognizes but nobody really knows anything about.

Yeah, i think that's consensus.
/hj

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”