Official Departures Thread

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:58 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Check Ornette's MAL some time.

......holy shit. I stand corrected.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:59 pm

I think you're missing the point.

The reason they were bored out of their skulls was because of the recent wave of users with a tendancy to be easily offended, and the scramble by certain members of the moderation team to accomodate these new "trendy" and thin-skinned individuals at the cost of sacrificing what EGF was always about (and also the sheer toxicity of the environment, which is the polar opposite of what the EGF of old was like).

Anyway my internet is about to turn off and I'm not doing this all night, but I really think EGF should take a long hard look at itself.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:06 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Anyway my internet is about to turn off and I'm not doing this all night, but I really think EGF should take a long hard look at itself.

I'm pretty sure it already has, and the result is not to your liking. In which case, too bad.

Mr. Tines: Well played, sir. Ornette is the geek we all wish we could be; proud, married, successful on all fronts. If the rest of us could emulate him we'd be much happier people.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:07 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:What's up with all the condescension in this post?
It's just the truth, regarding Xard, who really wasn't a detectable figure (in all the time that I've been here) until the recent thread, and how nothing will change now that he's gone again. That isn't an insult.

As to my comment about energetic posters: I just find it curious with all the comments bemoaning the loss of "energetic" posters[s]---[/s]curiously, from posters who don't get very stuck in during these big eventful topics, themselves[s]---[/s]and how they hate the current environment - instead of creating any energy themselves.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:10 pm

In the case of mugwump, I find it tough to propose that. At least,if you look through his posts, you will find that his tone hasn't truly changed all that much (unless you go to the very beginning, in which the tone is about the same as any new person who joins the forum). This is his departures post, and it was written in April 2013. Did something notable happen at that time?

As for Essel, he still lurks around. He made a post about 20 days ago. It also seems like he's been busy with some stuff.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:15 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:As to my comment about energetic posters
I should have specified that's what I was referring to. It sounds like you're talking about 2 members, in which case you might as well address them directly.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:18 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:It's just the truth, regarding Xard, who really wasn't a detectable figure (in all the time that I've been here)

Then you've been looking in the wrong places.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:18 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:It's just the truth, regarding Xard, who really wasn't a detectable figure (in all the time that I've been here) until the recent thread, and how nothing will change now that he's gone again. That isn't an insult.

...He's coming back in a week.

How many times does this have to be repeated?

So if CJD is going with him I guess that means he'll be back in a week too? :lol:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:24 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote: to accomodate these new "trendy" and thin-skinned individuals at the cost of sacrificing what EGF was always about (and also the sheer toxicity of the environment, which is the polar opposite of what the EGF of old was like).

I don't recognise the change you describe, and you've been here even less long than me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:31 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:at the cost of sacrificing what EGF was always about

EGF was always about discussing Evangelion, and nothing else. Off-topic was added by EM to keep it from being a cancer and attacking the Evangelion discussion-- it was an addition, and not the point of the site.

As to your point about us being hugbox-y: yes, there are restrictions of free speech, but not because we're worried about offending people-- it's to contain thread wars. If you want to talk about something that isn't welcomed here, I guarantee you that you'll be able to find somewhere that you want to talk about it.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:33 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I don't recognise the change you describe, and you've been here even less long than me.

I joined in 2010, and I'm like "WTF, man?" I mean, the only major loss we've had was Reichu, and that was . . . complicated. Actually, we lost Jimbo and Symbv, too, but they were also complex cases. The current row? Not even remotely related to any of them.

Re Free Speech: That only applies in the U.S., and even then only to government censorship of speech. It explicitly does not apply to private entities enforcing their own rules. It cannot, by definition, apply to a private web site. Just saying, and that as a government employee.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:40 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog" wrote:I should have specified that's what I was referring to. It sounds like you're talking about 2 members, in which case you might as well address them directly.
This wasn't the first time members had been talking about old members who brought something to the environment; I didn't just mean in regards to Xard leaving, but everyone who thinks this place has been lacking something, without even attempting to bring whatever it is that they miss so much, themselves.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Then you've been looking in the wrong places.
I've been involved in many of the more energetic conversations since I signed up, and checked every topic with new posts for a significant portion of my stay. Nowhere was Xard really to be seen in a significant way. The occasional comment here or there I did see, but that's hardly a presence that would change much whether it was here or not - which was the point in my first comment on the matter. EGF wouldn't differ significantly without him. That isn't to say that I wish him away.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:...He's coming back in a week.

How many times does this have to be repeated?
I never said anything about when anyone would hear from him again. It was the poster I quoted that made out like it was a significant thing, not me. I stated quite the opposite.
Last edited by Sorrow on Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:40 pm

Okay, there is a big frigging difference in being a 'hugbox' and restricting abusive language. We have been able to have discussions concerning a vast array of controversial topics: the only reasons those threads get locked is not because someone is saying something 'controversial,' it's because someone has decided debating is less fun and they need to be an asshole.

Insulting someone is not debate. Attacking the other person and not their argument is not debate. There is no reason - NO reason - that we can't discuss things without devolving into nasty, pointless diatribes.

That's just common frigging courtesy.

And so what if it's 'hugboxy?' Is there something wrong with being a place people can retreat to when real life kicks them in the teeth? Someplace where people can mutually support each other?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:41 pm

I'm not a fan of hugboxes, personally-- because those truly restrict what people can say on the basis that somebody might get hurt. EGF isn't that, and shouldn't be that, because it would restrict discussion about Evangelion itself (since it delves into tough topics.)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:00 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:And so what if it's 'hugboxy?' Is there something wrong with being a place people can retreat to when real life kicks them in the teeth? Someplace where people can mutually support each other?

For fans of Eva no less.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:03 pm

YOU SHUT YOUR FACE, NUKE!!!

:wife:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:15 pm

I... haven't seen any of what's being described here so perhaps some examples would be opportune.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:17 pm

Who are you addressing that to, Lavinius? Considering the range of conversation, that could be anyone above!

:tongue:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Funny time to announce my formal retirement, i guess. I'm leaving for reasons pertaining both the forum's situation and current character as well as matters dealing with my own life and what i want to do. I'll start with the former as it is related to the currently ongoing discussion. Going to spoiler it so people don't need to suffer throught it.

SPOILER: Show
I've had discussion on the current state of EGF with various members (mostly throught skype) but i think the most poignant was when a friend said (paraphrased) "I think i'm going to leave EGF soon. The conversations i'm interested in, i have to look deep down for them now [because the activity of the current forum is all things i am not interested in]" which was a sentiment i shared. Coincidentally, in that same conversation i said the squick thread (And the terminator one) was a good example of why i wasn't interested in EGF anymore or why i have a very hard time having any respect for the forum or most of the userbase these days. I could talk about how the posting standards have gone way too low or how the userbase is trash, but really it all comes down to the fact that there simply isn't anything worth staying for.

I came here for the interesting members and a level of discourse on animation and films i never found anywhere else, and while i'm sure i can still find that in here nowadays, most of the activity has taken a turn for shitposting or some internet "smart" guy to get into a fight about whatever. To be honest even in this thread, many of the posts just seem to prove my point. It's not even about what's been said but rather the way it's said... Ultimately there is interesting discourse and you get some things out of it (shame it's on stupid internet drama rather than something constructive) but there's just too much banality, circlejerking and condescension to be worth it.

Some (perhaps many) would also mention the staff as another cause of EGF's problems, but i personally believe they're pretty good (and do a good job) nowadays, if perhaps a little too indifferent as to the way they're perceived. Overall, i feel EGF has failed to offer me (and many other members i know) with a reason to be a stakeholder in their society, and the reactions and arguments provided by the userbase and staff (well, Monk in this case) show me that for the most part it isn't worth bothering with anymore. Which is quite fitting, because most likely the replies will go to the tune of "Well, then go away and never come back please" in one form or another :shrug:

On a personal note i have to say it deeply pisses me off how some of you said we're better served elsewhere as if it were us who were in the wrong for not liking this place.

And speaking of personal, some incidents in life have thrown me into a pensative state and among other things i have decided i don't really have anything worth saying so i should do more hearing and less talking, and i feel it has come time for me to move on from forums, skype, and such things. Besides, more often than not checking EGF tends to leave me stressed at whatever stupid post/drama/etc. got cooked up lately. I mean, i get angry because a bunch of people on the internet talk about something. Do you know how silly that is? Very silly.

(By the way, sorry if any of that comes off as too harsh or aggresive. Was too irritated with all the bad shit i avoided for the last months and while i could edit it, i just want to get this post over with by now)

So yeah, i want to move to greener pastures, do something with my life, and i don't think i have anything more to do here. As much as i'd like to just log off for the last time and never come back, i know i'm not going to do that for a variety of reasons. I'll try to keep my time and post count here to the bare minimun. You can contact me throught PM or skype if you want, but i don't check the latter very frequently as of late. Goodbye.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:53 pm

:(

I'll miss you, Dream.

Dream wrote:Overall, i feel EGF has failed to offer me (and many other members i know) with a reason to be a stakeholder in their society, and the reactions and arguments provided by the userbase and staff (well, Monk in this case) show me that for the most part it isn't worth bothering with anymore.

I said what now?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Old Stickies”