Rebuild shipping goes here.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:46 am

And trust me, most Americans have not seen Q. Most don't know a damn thing about Eva, because they aren't anime fans. Anime has very little penetration in the U.S.

Seriously there is no english dub for Q??

IMO, he is talking about the americans who watched EVA, but I cannot take seriously the way he talks in the name of all americans. Just making up data to fit his wishes. I can say most europeans ship Asushin, and probably it's true, at least taking my inner circle as an example, but that doesn't make it official, because it's impossible to know. And as you said, it's only official what the movies show us. Of course, as with NGE, there are other official materials wich enhance the knowledge when they don't go against canon. Of course, a poster showing two characters together don't make them a couple.

And like many other animes, being the most shipped couple is not the same as being the "canon" couple. It's just part of the fan community. One thing it's what the fans wish and another what the movie shows us. Usually not the same.
Last edited by Jäeger on Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:52 am

There's a whole thread about the English dub, and the fact that shortly after it was briefly shown, the announced release date was deferred sine die; it is at least partly being redubbed, apparently with prompting or input from Khara.

Here, and also the later part of here
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:04 pm

I don't care deeply about having Shinji be in a relationship in the series or movies. I mean, yeah, it's cute and all, but I won't die if I don't see it. All the fanfics and fanart fill that hole for me quite nicely.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:05 pm

^ That can be said about most ships. At least for me. I don’t know if I ever really thought I wanted Mari+Asuka, but if I ever did, the fan art would have been enough to appease that shipping urge.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:16 pm

The ships have all been sunk in the rebuild-verse (except maybe Kaji and Misato)!

We, like Shinji need to move on!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:16 pm

The possibility of Marisuka didn't even cross my mind until I saw the fanart, I'm ashamed to say. -o-;

ThanatosII
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThanatosII » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:22 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The ships have all been sunk in the rebuild-verse (except maybe Kaji and Misato)!

I've always found it humorous that Anno named the girls after battle ships. I know it's because of Anno's military obsession, but it's like he used it because he knows how the otaku community has "best girl" or "shipping wars" to pit these characters against each other like a ship battle.
"Understanding each other one hundred percent is impossible.
Of course, that's why we spend so much time trying to understand ourselves and others.
That's what makes life so interesting."
-Kaji Ryoji
"I got confused and I killed my sister... egh I can't help the way that I feel...." - Sorrow
Once you're regularly active on EGF, you get an idea of who is using the "Hidden" feature. Irony, eh?

Ticklemaster621
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ticklemaster621 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:21 am

Guess either Kaworu/Shinji or Rei/Shinji shippers will be rewarded at the end. Not that I care too much about it, but I hope its Rei/Shinji, cause Asuka and Kaworu have always had the nod over Rei (excepting Sadamoto´s manga, which I just ended reading)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:47 am

Dunno why you'd assume that, since both Rei and Kaworu are dead. Of the three Asuka's the only one left who's an actual candidate.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:13 am

Considering that we still haven't solved the moon coffins, it's entirely possible that there are more Kaworus waiting in the wings. As for Rei, we don't know what her situation is in this film. My opinion is that it's a little too early to write them off.

Ticklemaster621
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ticklemaster621 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Exactly. Rei has been simply too important to write her off so quickly and without further explanations, while Kaworu promised they would see again (I don´t think that´s metaphorical). I assumed those two had the biggest chances of ending with Shinji because he has been clearly more attracted to them than to other characters in Rebuild. Of course, its only speculating, by what the movies have shown.

I´m quite sure, however, that they won´t stay dead. They have played essential roles in 2.0 and 3.0 (half of the total material) to let them go just like that.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:45 pm

View Original PostTicklemaster621 wrote:I´m quite sure, however, that they won´t stay dead. They have played essential roles in 2.0 and 3.0 (half of the total material) to let them go just like that.

People said that about Poka!Rei before Q, and we saw how that turned out. Anno's pretty good at shifting gears on us.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ticklemaster621
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ticklemaster621 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:42 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:People said that about Poka!Rei before Q, and we saw how that turned out.

See, that´s exactly what I´m trying to explain. We haven´t seen how that turned out. We don´t know exactly how Rei is, and we still have Rei Q starting to develop feelings. 3.0 was kind of a "stand by" for Rei/Shinji, one moment you had both of them embracing, and then Rei was said to be dead or missing. Kaworu taking up all of the space didn´t help to clarify things. Something has to be done about them.

The only real obstacle for them happening is the clone thing. And that would still need to be clarified to Rei, who would probably do something similar to what Asuka did in 2.0, something to make him happy in spite of her feelings.

I think after posting this crap now I´m starting to care more about Rei/Shinji. Which is probably useless cause Anno won´t lose many minutes looking to establish an official couple. In fact, it wouldn´t surprise me at all if he revived all of the characters and made Shinji end up alone.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:51 pm

View Original PostTicklemaster621 wrote:Exactly. Rei has been simply too important to write her off so quickly and without further explanations

Rei's thematically tied with Yui. Shinji going after Rei is basically following in his footsteps all over again like he did in 2.22.

View Original PostTicklemaster621 wrote:while Kaworu promised they would see again (I don´t think that´s metaphorical).

I wouldn't expect anything more than a cameo like in the vein of EOE. After playing up his death like that in 3.0, it would be rather weird for him to show up as a main character.

Ticklemaster621
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ticklemaster621 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:57 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Rei's thematically tied with Yui. Shinji going after Rei is basically following in his footsteps all over again like he did in 2.22.

I´m not denying Rei´s connection with Yui. But I don´t see how that relates to Shinji´s relationship with Rei in 2.22. Their interactions on that movie weren´t based on familial bonds. Rei clearly had romantic feelings, at least judging by what they show us, as Asuka´s thoughts on her emotions were never denied in any sort of way (if anything, they were confirmed, as Asuka stepping aside was the right choice that kept the plot moving). Also, it wouldn´t be normal for a mother to blush when her son offers her Bento.

Shinji´s side is debatable, as he could have been interested in her because she unconsciously reminded him of his mother. However, his reactions to Rei seem different here. For example, he blushes more often, including when she smiles, and also while complimenting her on her outfit . And there´s always the groping scene, in which Shinji stares at her naked body for a few seconds (I REALLY don´t see that as a typical interaction between child and mother).

How the fact that Rei is a clone of Shinji´s mother will affect their relationship remains to be seen, but it doesn´t change the nature of their feelings. Just as I see Shinji ending up alone, I can also see him with a clone of his mother (who is not the same person). I mean, they showed us a guy masturbating over a comatose body, it wouldn´t be too crazy as long as she isn´t his mother (in soul).

View Original PostNa7e wrote: I wouldn't expect anything more than a cameo like in the vein of EOE. After playing up his death like that in 3.0, it would be rather weird for him to show up as a main character.

Couldn´t agree more on that. Now that you´ve mentioned it, I can totally see Kaworu helping Shinji on an important final decision over the fate of humanity.

Pen-Pen02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pen-Pen02 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:41 pm

^

Rebuild is really a lot different from NGE. In NGE (it's just mi POV) Shinji had more sexual tension and attraction to Asuka. And for Rei a similar affection like a familiar. In Rebuild, Shinji has more attentions to Rei (he cooks for her, he wants to talk with her in more opportunities, he's worried for her and they have more interaction). Also, he risks his life for her. I couldn't see anything similar with Asuka in 2.0, there's nothing like this. Since my POV, Rei II was her best friend or love interest (?) and Asuka just a good partner. And about bed scene: Asuka went to Shinji and he was ashamed because of the situation, but that was all. And about Bardiel's incident : yes, he was sad because of her, but he felt worst because his father became him in a murderer. Even he didn't stay at NERV for visiting her.

And Kaworu... I really think he won't come back. He said good bye to Shinji and hopes that fate could guide him (maybe this fate guides walking hand in hand by the red desert).
I just wanna a happy end for Asuka

I only speak Spanish. Sorry for grammatical mistakes in my posts...

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:19 am

View Original PostTicklemaster621 wrote:I´m not denying Rei´s connection with Yui. But I don´t see how that relates to Shinji´s relationship with Rei in 2.22. Their interactions on that movie weren´t based on familial bonds. Rei clearly had romantic feelings, at least judging by what they show us, as Asuka´s thoughts on her emotions were never denied in any sort of way (if anything, they were confirmed, as Asuka stepping aside was the right choice that kept the plot moving). Also, it wouldn´t be normal for a mother to blush when her son offers her Bento.

Shinji´s side is debatable, as he could have been interested in her because she unconsciously reminded him of his mother. However, his reactions to Rei seem different here. For example, he blushes more often, including when she smiles, and also while complimenting her on her outfit . And there´s always the groping scene, in which Shinji stares at her naked body for a few seconds (I REALLY don´t see that as a typical interaction between child and mother).

How the fact that Rei is a clone of Shinji´s mother will affect their relationship remains to be seen, but it doesn´t change the nature of their feelings. Just as I see Shinji ending up alone, I can also see him with a clone of his mother (who is not the same person). I mean, they showed us a guy masturbating over a comatose body, it wouldn´t be too crazy as long as she isn´t his mother (in soul).

Clone of your mother = incest. Not the same person, but incest. And sorry, but if something did 3.0 was to point the sister direction. More than NGE did. You're mixing a lot of things. As long as we know, Rei didn't know she was Yui's clone, of course she is not gonna act the same way, the mind is not cloned. But that doesn't denies what Rei is. And after introducing Rei Q, I don't think Anno will waste a character which needs more development. It's Rei II/III again

Ahh, most of your references about blushes took place in NGE too. And as people said before, Asuka stteping aside was her mistake. aND SHE PAID FOR IT, she fell in Gendo's trap, That dinner never was a romantic dinner. It's the moment were Rei acts more like a sister.

Anno gave people their Rei fanservice and developed the character more than she did in NGE. Now it's time for other bussines.

(excepting Sadamoto´s manga, which I just ended reading)

Sadamoto's manga is not a very good reference :lol: And the funny things it's that as long as the story advances, it has more Asushin details that don't fit well after we've read. Maybe to fit better with the series canon?? Who knows?? Sadamanga is not a very good example of storywriting and I hate the way it applies the archimides principle : to develop a character and her relationship with Shinji (which was fine for me) we sacrifice another one. Tha one he had the most complex relationship with.

Even he didn't stay at NERV for visiting her

Uhmmm because he thought she was dead?? And as people have said before, the problem about 2.22 and Shinji and Asuka's relationship it's the time constrain of the movies. One movie of advantage it's a big difference when you try to develop relationship, even in a sibling/friendship way. IMO, REBUILD develops a lot more Rei and Shinj's relationship, but not it's nature.

IMO, I would expect more a forever alone Shinji that paired with Rei. If that's your hope, IMO you're gonna get disappointed. AS Bagheera said, there is only one player left in the game. And the infamous eva course and her mixed feelings are good hints. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's what the movies have shown us. I'm expecting a "forever alone", FYI

I couldn't see anything similar with Asuka in 2.0, there's nothing like this. Since my POV, Rei II was her best friend or love interest (?) and Asuka just a good partner. And about bed scene: Asuka went to Shinji and he was ashamed because of the situation, but that was all

And what did you expect?? That was the beginning of Asuka's feelings. There are not romantic intentions in her behaviour.

I´m quite sure, however, that they won´t stay dead. They have played essential roles in 2.0 and 3.0 (half of the total material) to let them go just like that.

And what if part of their role is just....die?? Of course they are gonna show themselves again, but not as a main character. There is a new Rei in town and she has new bussines :lol: . Poka Rei out for a full movie and Kaworu main character only for 3.0 (except for 2.0 ending)
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Pen-Pen02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pen-Pen02 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:06 am

Uhmmm because he thought she was dead??

Well Jäeger, precisely if Asuka was dead, Shinji had to know about it and go to the hospital. After all, she was in coma because of EVA01. C'mon, it's assumed that she was her friend. Maybe not his best friend, but she was his comrade in fighting. Also, I remembered (I think so) Misato told Shinji why he didn't go to see her and he didn't answer her and left his home. Finally, Shinji shows us that he doesn't have a big connection with Asuka and -in some way- left her (maybe this is one of the reasons why she's so bitter with him). Uhmmm, I'll gave him the benefit of the doubt about he was so depressed that he didn't want to see her in coma.

And what did you expect?? That was the beginning of Asuka's feelings. There are not romantic intentions in her behaviour.

I really didn't expect anything... it was just an example about Shinji is not so close to her than with Rei... In NGE, you could feel chemistry between Asuka and Shinji since they met... It could be the same in Rebuild, using just a minutes... Now, in that scene in bed I felt so far of all of this (personally, I felt cold). There was no friendship or connection by Shinji in that time, less romance... (just my opinion) Now, shipping with Asuka 14 years after I don't think possible...

And about shipping: I don't know... I think Poka Rei could come back home for Shinji and be in front of ReiQ... again (don't forget ReiQ saw her in 3.0... was really Rei II?... I think so). Rei II had an important rol in all this story so she had to final the same. Kaworu is dead, I think definetly he didn't come back... but Rei II... Uhmmm, always there is her soul and her clones for all ocassions.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:12 am

View Original PostPen-Pen02 wrote:Even he didn't stay at NERV for visiting her.

He didn't stay at Nerv for Rei, either, and she was still alive and well.

Pen-Pen02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pen-Pen02 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Yes, of course. But my point is this: Rebuild is more about Shinji and Rei II. This thread is about shipping and in my posts I want to show you there was more connection between Shinji and Rei II than Asuka. I like S/A, but in Rebuild I don't see it anywhere. I'm realist. Probably I think Shinji will stay with Rei II at the end because it has more sense respect all the story. Even, I believe Shinji isn't worried about Rei's clone condition. Now, Shinji is depressed and desperate. He needs urgently a friend or love and Rei II is this person. Sadly, Asuka never showed him directly her sweeter side and do it now will be more difficult. Maybe, it's too late for her. So, if Rei II comes back, Shinji will stay with her because he needs some love (I don't want to say necessarily stay with her as his girlfriend, but as a person who loves him despite all). Asuka will have to change if she wants to be with Shinji and this is difficult, because she's angry with him (well, if she wants stay with him 14 years after of Bardiel's incident). She will have to forgive him. Maybe Mari could help in this relation (ok, finally I know the purpose for Mari's character)...

One more thing: Reifans will kill Anno if she doesn't stay with Shinji at the end in Rebuild. All this character's development on Rei II could be nothing if Shinji will stay with Asuka at the end. (Just my opinion: In NGE and films, Shinji is closer to Asuka. She reciprocates him and I think they have big feelings between them. Also in manga, because it starts with more R/S, but it finally went to S/A. I don't have doubts of this. But now Rebuild could be a big bastion for R/S, so Anno would become this relationship come true)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”