Official Eva FINAL updated NTV Preview thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:44 pm

I think final will get the normal 4.0 treatment to avoid confusion with the hole 3+1. Still, I always question these silly overcomplicated things. Why do that with the title? :facepalm:

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:47 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:. Why do that with the title? :facepalm:

That's just like asking, "WHY ANNO, WHY?" To every aspect of Evangelion that we don't get. And the answer is: "THAT'S LIFE! IT JUST IS! DEAL WITH IT!" XD
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:53 pm

I actually like how that title looks and what it might suggest beyond weird loop theories. Sure, it’s kinda weird to have to type. But whatever. Just type “FINAL” like we always have been. (I generally avoid typing 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 if I can anyway. I prefer to type them as Jo, Ha, and Q. I’ll do the same for 3.0+1.0, calling it “FINAL” instead. It’s much simpler that way.)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:55 pm

We could call it 4.0, as well-- but we've been calling it FINAL for long enough now that it seems the natural thing to do.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:31 pm

The reason for the weird title is the one I posted earlier - the final act of a Japanese drama ends with a "resultant" of what comes before it. "Jo" is the introduction, "Ha" extends and elaborates upon the introduction and sets up the great big change, "Kyu" sets up the shock and tragedy of change, and talks about the pathos of things, while the ending (The "Ketsu" in "Kishotenketsu", the alternate four-part system of Chinese/Japanese drama) is the resultant of the beginning and the change. Reading even Wikipedia's pages on Jo-ha-kyu and Kishotenketsu shows the rationale behind it all.

As for me, I'd just call it "Final" - not because it's accurate, but because I'm quite used to it, and the meaning is already understood.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:35 pm

So like calling NTE Rebuild, then?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:38 pm

^ Well, except that Khara actually called “FINAL” “FINAL” since 2007. They’ve never called NTE “Rebuild.” So far 3.0+1.0 is merely the numeric representation for “FINAL,” just like 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 were numeric representation of Jo, Ha, and Q.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:41 pm

The difference being that we, as a forum, refer to our forums and subforums as relating to "Rebuild of Evangelion". It gets the google results, which is why we haven't changed it even though it's technically incorrect. We now have a title for the fourth film, but we're calling it FINAL for other reasons (in this case, because it's easier. Who wants to type out 1.0+3.0 every time they want to mention it?)

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Much like calling NTE Rebuild, yes, but like Freaky noted, Final is actually more accurate. (And as Guy Nacks pointed out, typing 3.0 + 1.0 repeatedly gets annoying). It's still possible that "Final" and ":||" will find use for something at this stage.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Yeah, as far as calling certain sub forums what they need to be called in order to get views, we’re not 100% what will generate more clicks for “FINAL” until the movie gets and official full title. Right now we only have the music symbol, the numeric symbol, and “FINAL” as these signifiers, and we’re not sure beyond that what will be officially complete and what will generate more clicks.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:55 pm

I think it's either going to be FINAL or, oddly enough, 4.0.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Alternatively, the movie itself will be called 3.0 + 1.0 and "Final" and ":||" may be recycled for something else, like the Blu-ray release. Freaky is right about getting more views - with 3.0 and 1.0 generating enough hits on their own, calling the movie "3.0+1.0" will mess up searching for it nicely and cause a ton of confusion. Given the choice, I certainly wouldn't name either this subforum or the wiki page "3.0+1.0".

SSJ Spartan01
Adam

Postby SSJ Spartan01 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Personally, the subtitle 3.0+1.0 doesn't allude to any form of popular "loop theories" for me; it's literally just an alternate way of depicting previous titles "4.0" and ":ll". With the musical repeat-ending bar sign signifying revisiting the beginning (first act) once more after finishing the piece before ending for good. Sort of like the impression Anno gives us of the beginning and the end being the same; when I say this I think of the vibe we get from the first and last Quantun Rei scenes though.
Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere on this forum before but a popular theory on the title going around the internet right now says 3.0 + 1.0 = Kyu + Jo = KyuJo. Apparently Kyujo denotes a romaji for 救助 which is the kanji for "salvation" or "assisting". I'm not adept at all in Japanese so if someone could shed insight on this then that would be appreciated.
Just to stay on topic with the thread though, I wanna say I'm happy with the little bit of info Anno gave us with this additional title. Whether it's official or not, there's a ton that can be interpreted from it given us. Haha.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:31 pm

:|| is still in the Japanese title...
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:04 pm

I'm just gonna post this here, although what I'm about to say may make a new topic on it's own.
I was thinking about the new title for the fourth movie "Evangelion "1.0+3.0" and I have a idea as to why it is named this. My theory is that the final movie will be two parts a lot like End of Evangelion.

Now anyone can put whatever they think these two parts are going to show, but my idea was that the first part would start off right after 2.0 and this part would cover the 14 year gap in between. This would answer many of the questions including what happened to Kaji? Was there a bigger 3rd Impact after Shinji was trapped? Why did Mark 06 become Autonomous? How'd Asuka react to everything that happen after she woke up, and also how long after N3I did she wake up? How was the Wunder built? How was Gendo's plan revealed? How and When did they launch Unit 01 into space? Basically it would answer some or most of the questions left by 3.0. This would be essentially the Flashback sequence that most want.

Now the second part of 3.0+1.0 would be the actual final end of the rebuild series. This part I cannot speculate on nearly as much since there is a great deal that we don't know about post Q's plot. The only thing I will say is that somehow, and someway Shinji will find hope as stated in the preview for 3.0+1.0/4.0/Final.

Now I already see people asking questions about this theory, like about run-time, and because we got nothing for the new preview it must mean that the last movie is in early production! My reasoning behind this is first, I don't believe they got rid of a lot of the original Q plot and they are going to change it to make it fit in. Secondly it has almost been two years since Q has been release, and I don't think in a two year time-frame they are only in early production. In fact considering how short Q was compared to Jo and Ha I think they have been working on the final movie since before Q, even if then they where only in the beginning stages. Also a flash back sequence would allow the movie to reveal information with the audience getting one huge info dump. Now with run time I could see 3.0+1.0 being 4 hours, 2 for part 1, and 2 for part 2.

It's pretty late at night for me, and I may have not communicated some of this in the best way, but I want to hear someone else's thoughts on this.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dima » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:16 am

Marketing wise the name 3.0 + 1.0 sucks even though i personally like it. Most people will get confused and assume that this is not a sequel but merely something like an expansion. Remember not all people are browsing internet to find more about the movies or reading forums.

Of course the movie will do fine with the sales but i am pretty sure that a simple 4.0 or FINAL would avoid any confusion.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:01 am

As an FYI, the Japanese seem to just be referring to the film as "Shin".

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:46 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:As an FYI, the Japanese seem to just be referring to the film as "Shin".

Well, I think we all know where this is going. "New Century Gospel: New Theater Edition: New (A Novel)"
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:45 am

Evafan has put together another thing at the bottom has a list of potential HAPPENING dates

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3264.html

October 3rd = Eva Store reopening so that might be something

EDIT: The rest we already potentially hyped about but might include it anyway
October = Anno thing at Tokyo film fest
November = Last manga volume
2015 = New Year's card/20th anniversary maybe
January = Universal Studio Japan shenanigans
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

obliterates
Adam

Postby obliterates » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:54 am

Don't forget the new calendar that's coming out in November.
"I do not seek, I find." - Pablo Picasso

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”