Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:57 pm

It has puzzled me why this con is only for 1 day. Have they addressed expanding the event to the entire weekend?

Momoi has been to FanimeCon before and is one of the most fan-friendly GoHs you will come across.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:56 pm

PRE-SHOW UPDATE

I have updated the opening post with a fair amount of new information. Of key interest are the Convention Schedule and the Floor Plan; also of note is the fact that the advance ticket sale ended last week so if you do not already have one you will have to line up for your ticket on the day.

Guests
- Guest Panels
- Guest Signing
- No new guests have been announced ... though Yuko Miyamura is coming back again for two Voice Acting Workshop sessions, though these will not be on the main stage but in the Hanabee Panels room - from what I understand, their intention is to close the doors once they have filled the room to capacity and leave the doors closed (if they can) until each session is complete. I have confidence that the workshops will be engaging to those interested in that field, however, I advise interested persons to consider whether they actually want to practice voice acting in front of strangers, as I anticipate that is one of the reasons the workshop has been moved to the panel room.

Vendor Hall
- Exhibitors
- Artist Circle
- Clubs & Community Groups

Video Game events:
- Pokemon DS Tournament for Pokemon White 2 & Pokemon Black 2 versions. Registration runs from 11am-12pm, the tournament itself has been scheduled for 2.30pm - 4.30pm in the gaming area. I would have been into this if the tournament had been scheduled for an hour or so earlier - as it is, it isn't in the best time, as I may have to leave earlier this year if my transport plans don't change.
- Street Fighter IV Competition runs from 12pm-2pm in the gaming area inside the vendor hall.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl Competition in two sessions; session one runs from 11am-12pm, session two runs from 2pm-3pm; both can be found at the gaming area.

I guess that is all I have to add for the moment, I'll return for another post once I am certain how I am going to be getting there and back.
Voluntary Illusion.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:56 am

Miyamura is doing the VA workshop but not signing? Bullshit!

Glad I'll be seeing her the week before at Saboten in Arizona.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:22 pm

SMASH is less than 2 days away!

I'll be entering the SMBB tourney as-well as the Pokémon card tournament.

If yous guys wanna meet up with me and EvaFan feel free to come and find us.

SMASH 2013 WOOOOO!
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:05 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Miyamura is doing the VA workshop but not signing? Bullshit!

Miyamura had signing sessions in 2010 and 2012 - see respective threads for more information

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:I'll be entering the SMBB tourney as-well as the Pokémon card tournament.

I thought to ask if you were going to go into that, but you've answered my question...
I suppose you'll want to play in the first SMBB session at 11am-12pm, as the second clashes with Pokemon TCG which runs from 1.30pm-5.30pm. I also don't know how much of these I'll be able to watch, since my the Pokemon vidya games runs from 2:30pm-4:30pm ... but if it really is a double elimination tournament, I'd expect both tournaments would run rather quickly.

Also we could take a moment to show our deck/team to one another, as it'd be better to have an idea of how you're going to play when I spectate

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:If yous guys wanna meet up with me and EvaFan feel free to come and find us.

I'll look for you in the games area around when the SMBB tournament starts (but after I register for Pokemons), if we don't run into each other beforehand.

I'll be arriving in Sydney sometime around 9.30am, and will go to the convention center around 10am or after I've found and had breakfast (if any). I'll have to leave at 4.15pm at the latest to catch the 4.45pm bus back to Canberra. Otherwise it should be good!
Voluntary Illusion.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:14 pm

"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:09 am

It's not too late man, just hop on a plane and you'll be here in no time.

Also, I'll be wearing my hat again this year so that should make it reasonably easy to spot me.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:00 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Miyamura had signing sessions in 2010 and 2012

That was 3 years ago and last year, not this year. Although I'm not going anyway and you folks get to deal with that, I just think it sucks, but her decision. I may be a little spoiled in this department since I am accustomed to not having a signing restriction (official or fan made goods only, nothing like a shikishi board, which is just backwards IMO since not everyone has merch from a series). And if a guest shows up year after year they are invariably signing, even if just for one session, although technically Miyamura isn't a guest this year.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:28 am

Another year, another glorious victory for SMASH!, as I am utterly defeated.
Probably didn't help that I'd been up since 10pm the previous day, or that I stayed up drinking till 3am that night, but whatever.

SPOILER: Show

Anyway, although not much Eva related happened this year, there was still plenty of interesting things that happened. Hidenori Matsubara's panel was the Eva highlight, without a doubt. Most of the fan questions asked were about his work on the series and the films, and had plenty of interesting things to say about both, for example; when he went in to see Anno about working on the new films he had no idea or intention of becoming the animation director, but the job was proposed to him on the spot and he just accepted. He also spoke about the difference of working on the series and the films, as he had different levels of the job for each.

Other than that there was plenty to do; I entered the Smash Bros. tourney and got utterly destroyed (I blame the Wii-mote, Gamecube controller is for real players), then met up with EvaFan at the Matsubara panel, which he could probably tell you more about as he stuck around for the art demonstration. I then went off to the Pokémon TCG tournament and came 3rd (out of 4 people) beating a little kid to secure my awesome Pokémon toys and trainer glove.

Now I truly am a Pokémon master.

Sigh...

Got a photo with EvaFan before he had to leave, grabbed some cool Eva fan art from some of the artist stalls then finished up with some stupid anime trivia.

Great day as always, can't wait till next year. Maybe then I'll have the energy to take a few more photos.
Last edited by Fazmotron on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:57 am

^ People tell you guys you could be related? Glad to hear you had fun.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:42 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:

Specific vest for battling and other Poké-related activities.
Doin' it right.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri May 02, 2014 3:44 am

What's that, EvaGeeks? You want to meet Kotono Mitsuishi?

Go to SMASH! this year.

That is all.
Voluntary Illusion.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri May 02, 2014 2:53 pm

If anybody from EGF goes, are they gonna ask her about Eva: Final or SM: Crystal? :lol: At the very least, there's probably a good question or 2 to ask about how different post time skip Misato is.

Dunno how true this is, but apparently fans on Twitter were worried she wouldn't be able to sign autographs or get pictures taken? I know different agencies might have different policies about that kind of thing, so I hope that's not the case. Would really suck for the fans there.

I hope one of these days I'll meet either her or Ogata at a con... :sigh:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Someone other than Miyamura! Although Miyamura has shown up before, it would be cool to have both of them in one place.

The guest could have a no photo clause in their contract but it depends. Ran into this with Miyamura and Sadamoto last year. Miyamura I paid $20 to get a photo with her that she then signed, Sadamoto I just used my 250 mm lens and stood far away enough that his asshole of an interpreter didn't see me.

I was looking at the FAQ but didn't see something about signing limitations, which are on the strict side IMO.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:35 am

It's getting close to that time of year again Geeks.

SMASH! TIME.

All you aussie EvaGeeks better get your tickets and come meet me (and maybe EvaFan) as well as Misato herself, Kotono Mitsuishi.

This year SMASH! is being held at Rosehill Gardens in Sydney over 2 days for the first time. I will be attending both days so you'll have plenty of opportunities to come and say Hi.

I'll also be making an actual effort to record a bunch of video footage of the event and maybe try for some interviews or just a bunch of random stuff so that I can whack it all up on my new website; FAZMOTRON.com (though unfortunately filming of the main stage events is not allowed).

So come along, or if you can't make it, stay tuned for plenty of photos and videos.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:04 pm

Cool, 1 more day of fun. Still got that signing restriction though. :uhh: But, great to land Mitsuishi while SMC is airing. Why don't these Eva seiyu ever come to my local cons. :|

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:33 am

Bump:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:At the very least, there's probably a good question or 2 to ask about how different post time skip Misato is.

Or ask about Sailor Moon Crystal if any good thoughts come up? Just sayin'.

Please take a picture or two of her if it's allowed.

I just want to meet her one day. She rides a motorcycle and she kicked breast cancer's ass. How badass can you get?

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:35 am

Righto, so SMASH! is almost upon us, or well, just upon me really as it seems EvaFan won't be able to attend this year. So unfortunately your dream of meeting 2 of the coolest Australian Evangelion Fans in one convenient location will have to wait.

Other than that I've set up my stupid Pokemon TCG deck and hope to retain my position of 3rd this year (even though there were only 4 players last year, and the 4th was a little kid who had never played before).

I hope to see some of you there Saturday for some fun!
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:23 am

Yes, as I described to Faz in private chat, I am not attending SMASH! this year as after going all-out for the Pokemon VGC Australian National Championships in Melbourne last month it felt like the new location and two-day schedule would be a bit of a hassle to plan for. That, and I found out from the Facebook page that they didn't organise any Pokemon video game tournaments (odd, considering that there were more players for that than the TCG tournament and yet they brought TCG back for both days) and as that was the main reason for wanting to go back this year it made my choice not go a little bit more comfortable.

I am not feeling too great about not catching up with Faz or meeting other new Evageeks users, and of course missing out on Kotono Mitsuishi is another thing. But for those of you who are going, I hope you have a great time, and I hope you don't ask any Mitsuishi questions about Sailor Moon Crystal because really you should be asking about her roles in Excel Saga and Utena :tongue:
Voluntary Illusion.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:32 pm

Mitsuishi Q & A from yesterday here: https://twitter.com/JPFSydney

I hope more cool stuff is on the way, so jelly of the folks there. :crybaby:

Edit: Oh gawd, Excel Saga... :hitthetable: Wonder if they'll one day do a proper manga-based anime off that. (More familiar with the anime than the manga.)

Return to “Anime and Manga”