What anime are you watching right now? Nov 2013

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:16 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Selector Infected WIXOSS: I don´t know if I´ll watch the second season, this one felt a bit mediocre.

I didn't think it was that great either, although the ending did interest me enough to want to see what happens next.

SPOILER: Show

Well, mainly I want to know why Iona replaced Tama, and whether Ruko's actually going to have to fight with Iona as he LRIG or just lock her away and BSOD. Probably the latter, but the former would be interesting to see.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Black Bullet Episode 12: Cough, hold on a second...(various noises)... Ok, ok, I got it. Ready?

SPOILER: Show
CAT GIIIIIIIIIIIIRL!!! WHY, OH WHY DID YOU HAVE ONLY 5 MINUTES OF SCREEN TIME AND WERE THEN KILLED FOR CHEAP FEELINGS! WHYYYYYYYYY!?

Yeah, that came out right, kind of...

So yeah, the last episode is going to be fun.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:17 pm

^Yeah, it's a leadup to what was earlier shown about Enju's corrosion rate. I disliked Kagetane at first but came around to him. Way for Yasuwaki to get his revenge, hopefully he gets bitten in the ass.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:20 am

Pupa
Trainwreck series overall: Pacing was awful and relationship/plot/rule establishments were almost nonexistent.
I haven't read the manga, but I've heard that it's a lot better, so read that instead of watching this garbage.

2/10

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:07 am

Finished Ping Pong last night, what an amazing ending that was. Smile's "humanization" and the symbolic shedding of his robotic shell were both touching and exciting to watch, all that emotion, all that energy, the series as a whole is great but it really peaks in the finale. I highly recommend this one.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:24 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Pupa

2/10

You've given it a higher score than most of the reviews I've seen - e.g.: "I've only given it 1/10 because I can't give it 0/10". I've been (just briefly) tempted to have a look at what has been described as "the worst anime ever made"; but I shall resist.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:41 am

I think we need one of the brave souls who've watched Mars of Destruction and other such "worst anime ever made" for a better idea of quite how bad Pupa was.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:53 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I've been (just briefly) tempted to have a look at what has been described as "the worst anime ever made";

It's definitely worse than School days, so.....It might be.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Mars of Destruction

I need to see this now.

EDIT: Just saw this. It's like shittier version of Eva. :asuka_happy:
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:56 am

I dropped Pupa after 1 episode.
Soooo booorring....
------------------
Also Samurai Girls is another horrible anime. Don't watch it, please don't

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Eleven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Eleven » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:26 pm

I am in the mood for some slice of life anime, something funny but not stupid. Unfortunately, I have no expertise in this genre. Any suggestions?
You can recommend even the best known titles, as I won't know them anyway. (Except Welcome to the NHK!, if that counts as slice of life).
I apologize for any grammar mistakes, as I am not a native speaker.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:42 pm

View Original PostEleven wrote:I am in the mood for some slice of life anime, something funny but not stupid.
For feel-good SoL I would recommend Aria the Animation and sequels.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:08 pm

View Original PostEleven wrote:I am in the mood for some slice of life anime, something funny but not stupid. Unfortunately, I have no expertise in this genre. Any suggestions?
You can recommend even the best known titles, as I won't know them anyway. (Except Welcome to the NHK!, if that counts as slice of life).

The first season of K-On! is quite funny without getting into too much drama, and Hanasaku Iroha is probably the best slice of life I've seen yet but some bits get dramatic, not a lot though, and it is somewhat funny, though not very.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Azumanga Daioh
Auira
Sora no Woto

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Does NieA under 7 count as SoL?
Nichijou is liked by a lot of people (it ends up too repetitive to my mind);
Uchouten Kazoku (The Eccentric Family) is a recent favourite of mine;
Girls und Panzer - there's nothing quite like it...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Paranoid » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:44 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Azumanga Daioh
Auira
Sora no Woto

While SnW undoubtedly falls under the SoL tag, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who's just looking to watch an SoL. Most of the times that means they're looking for a certain sort of comfy, and I feel that it's better not to go into it expecting anything specfic. Either way it's one of my all time favorites so I can't really disagree. Thumbs up on the other two recs as well.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Does NieA under 7 count as SoL?
Nichijou is liked by a lot of people (it ends up too repetitive to my mind);
Uchouten Kazoku (The Eccentric Family) is a recent favourite of mine;
Girls und Panzer - there's nothing quite like it...

I'd say NieA counts in the technical sense as it really does portray a slice of Mayuko's life, but if I wasn't sure I'd recommend SnW to someone just looking to watch an SoL, that goes doubly for NieA. It's just way too somber for that.
The rest aren't SoLs, though. Nichijou isn't one unless your life consists of riding goats to school and wrestling deer. It's a surreal comedy that just happens to be in a high school setting. Uchouten is a drama, and GuP is a sports show (sooort of).

Now, to mention a couple that haven't been listed:
On the drama front - can't go wrong with Honey and Clover. It's a wonderful sweet (but sometimes sad) tale of growing up. Similar warning to SnW and Niea - it's not always fluffy.
On the comedy front - Minami-ke. Just finished marathoning all the seasons myself, and it's one of the funniest SoLs I've seen.
On the just plain comfy front - can't go wrong with Hidamari Sketch. Quite possibly the pinnacle of SoL, as far as I'm concerned (although I'll admit that I shamefully haven't watched Aria yet, which might be a contender). If you just want to kick back and relax, this is the one for you.

Other very notable mentions:
Non Non Biyori
Gj-bu
Usagi Drop
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Heh! I find some of the genres very ill-defined (or I don't know enough examples yet to get the idea). I actually considered including Honey and Clover, but decided it was less SoL than the others (also it makes me cry whereas the others make me laugh)! Nichijou I suggested as it seems to me that a lot of people find it presses the same buttons for them as Azumanga Daioh. And although Uchouten Kazoku is drama in the end, it's really very relaxed getting there.

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Paranoid » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:33 pm

For what it's worth, they really are rather ill-defined. MAL does list Nichijou and Uchouten as SoLs, though I cannot agree to that myself. You can see a sizable sample of what MAL considers SoL by clicking on the SoL badge here.

For me, a slice of life is just that; a show whose main goal is to portray the daily lives of the characters, or formative events therein*. It also needs to have a sense of realism, not in the sense that the setting has to be realistic but in that it has to be consistent and have believable characters. In other words, a slice of life is a bit like a documentary; any other aspects like drama or comedy should evolve naturally from within these events, rather than the other way around where the events are portrayed for the purpose of producing comedy or drama. That's why I don't think that either Nichijou or Uchouten pass, as portraying the lives of those involved is a secondary goal at best.

*By formative events, I mean events that a viewer may identify with from his/her own life. For example, a show centered around a girl growing up and falling in love for the first time might very well be a slice of life whereas a show whose plot is about being caged and almost eaten by the woman that ate your father isn't**.

**Don't get me wrong, though, I absolutely loved Uchouten Kazoku. One of the better shows from the last year or two.
Last edited by Paranoid on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:36 pm

View Original PostEleven wrote:I am in the mood for some slice of life anime, something funny but not stupid. Unfortunately, I have no expertise in this genre. Any suggestions?

CLANNAD and CLANNAD: After Story. I still very much recommend them despite not liking the very end of After Story.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Shocking truth. Chaika over. waiting season 2.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:42 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Shocking truth. Chaika over. waiting season 2.

It has been an enjoyable action anime so it´s nice to have confirmation of a second season so early.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Return to “Old Stickies”