Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:21 pm

I think X-Men need a reboot. First Class was limited by trying to fit the continuity of the first film, which was mired in the timidity of the early comic book movie renaissance. I want an X-film that doesn't temper the insanity. I want a whole plotline about how Cyclop's dad left him to become an outer space pirate.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:40 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Speaking honestly I liked X-Men: First Class & The Wolverine a hell of a lot more.

:|

SPOILER: Show
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:46 pm

The more I see The Wolverine the more I like it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:18 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Just watched Pacific Rim.

I loved it, even though its an obvious Rip-Off of Evangelion. Aesthetic wise, its probably the closest we'll ever see to a LAEM. . . y'know what? I'm perfectly okay with that. It's still a good movie. A really good movie.

Pac Rim is terrible, but it's not an Evangelion ripoff. That notion really needs to go away.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I think X-Men need a reboot. First Class was limited by trying to fit the continuity of the first film, which was mired in the timidity of the early comic book movie renaissance. I want an X-film that doesn't temper the insanity. I want a whole plotline about how Cyclop's dad left him to become an outer space pirate.

Haven't seen DoFP, but by my understanding it is a reboot.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:26 am

^
I think it's more of Retcon Good Sir, Reboots tend to have new actors fill previous roles held by other actors. Here's what wiki has to say.

Retroactive continuity, or retcon for short,[1] is the alteration of previously established facts in the continuity of a fictional work.[2]

There are various motivations for retconning. The changes may occur to accommodate sequels or derivative works, allowing newer authors or creators to revise the diegetic (in-story) history to include a course of events that would not have been possible in the story's original continuity. Retcons allow for authors to reintroduce popular characters and resolve errors in chronology.

Retcons are common in pulp fiction, especially comic books published by long-established publishers such as DC, Marvel, and leading manga publishers. The long history of popular titles and the number of writers who contribute stories can often create situations that demand clarification or revision. Retcons also appear in soap operas, serial dramas, movie sequels, professional wrestling angles, video games, radio series, and other forms of serial fiction.

Science fiction writers are occasionally confronted with new scientific developments which disprove assumptions made in a previous story or book. For some of these cases, no amount of retconning could "save" a story – for example, many early works of science fiction assumed that Venus was a watery planet – but in many other cases, clever retconning allows the story to retain scientific plausibility under the new conditions.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:39 am

Reboots can also be retcons (see Star Trek). If you reset history in a franchise you've essentially rebooted it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:49 am

^
True that Good Sir Image Though I refuse to see the new Star Trek movies :lol:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Pacific Rim? Terrible? Blasphemy!

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:57 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^
True that Good Sir Though I refuse to see the new Star Trek movies :lol:

They're not that bad. They're pretty decent if you're familiar with the original source material. It's now just more geared towards the general audience.

If you still want to enjoy the original timeline, Star Trek: Online continues with after Nero's Incursion after Romulus's destruction in the original universe.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:16 pm

The new Star Trek movies have a lot of the feel of the better films/better parts of the TV show without the ponderous heaviness of Commander French Englishman and his crew of misfits aboard a heavily armed outer space minivan.

I like Next Generation and always will but it doesn't really translate to movies and Trek got too full of itself and too fanboyish towards the end.
the prophecy is true

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:24 am

The Big Blue.

-Who won?
-Won what? The asshole award? It was a tie.

The film looks eye-poppingly good in HD, Jesus Christ.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:31 am

@ Chuck and Xander

The only version of Star Trek I kinda enjoyed was Next Generation Good Sirs, I honestly don't have any interest in seeing the new stuff.

Return to “Film and Video”