[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue May 06, 2014 3:26 am

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308392426/first-listen-swans-to-be-kind

New Swans record is streaming on NPR
2+ hours of Gira insanity.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:01 am

Well, here's my brief account of the insanity that was Deafheaven live.

It was all pretty brutal stuff, the closest they came to "mellow" was the bridge parts between each song and the first half of Vertigo. I was kinda disappointed that they didn't do Irresistable, but oh well. I recognised some of the songs from Sunbather including Dream House, The Pecan Tree and Sunbather, but a significant portion of the tracks were ones that I didn't recognize, probably from The Road to Judah. The band 'ended' with Windows, but then did an encore which I didn't recognise. The noise level was pretty amazing; we were advised to bring earplugs beforehand for a good reason. George Clarke's performance was also pretty weird; whenever he wasn't screaming into the mic he would walk around the stage doing strange hand gestures, sometimes with his eyes closed. Sometimes he just stood at the mic with his eyes closed, as if he'd fallen asleep, before belting it out again. It gave a strange, trippy feeling to the performance IMO. The band were all drinking and passing around the bottle because it was very, very warm and poorly ventilated in the venue (basically a small dark room hidden at the back of a shopping mall, rather than a proper concert space). Daniel Tracy (the drummer) actually threw up at one point in the performance, but just kept going without any noticeable pauses. The concert went on for about an hour and fifteen minutes, including the encore.

Overall, the whole thing was an awesome, no-holds-barred roaring rollercoaster of sound and brutality. They never let up. When they switched between songs they'd either bridge it or leave a long, lingering chord until they'd got themselves set up for the next one. Probably one of the best concerts I've been to so far, and it was very impressive considering that the venue was a lot smaller than you'd normally expect.

I also got some pics, although as I mentioned the lighting in the venue is very dim so it's a bit difficult to see:

SPOILER: Show

I had around 15 pics in all but these are the best-quality ones.
Wristband-thingy:
Concert poster I managed to nab:
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed May 07, 2014 7:50 am

I would swoon at 'Unrequited', 'Violet' or 'Exit: Denied'. Glad to hear they played 'Sunbather', too - easily my favourite off the new album.

So jelly, dude.

:smirk:
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:29 am

^Don't worry, I'm sure they'll tour Australia again soon enough.

Did you miss out when they went to Australia in January?

And I'm nothing like you

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed May 07, 2014 3:01 pm

I've been listening to music I haven't really paid attention to before like, Clapton, Bob Marley, Seger, Zeppelin, Classical, Protomen, Dylan, Animetal, Rage Against The Machine, CCR.

I've been enjoying them a lot, especially Zeppelin, they have so many good song, All of my Love probably being my favorite.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed May 07, 2014 7:30 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Did you miss out when they went to Australia in January?

Nearest show was 1680km away in Brisbane. Only time we ever get any shows out here is the rare regional tour and those are very few and far between.
Warren Peace, #643919

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri May 09, 2014 2:30 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I've been listening to music I haven't really paid attention to before like, Clapton, Bob Marley, Seger, Zeppelin, Classical, Protomen, Dylan, Animetal, Rage Against The Machine, CCR.

I've been enjoying them a lot, especially Zeppelin, they have so many good song, All of my Love probably being my favorite.

Some good taste you've got there, man. I'll happily join you in enjoying the hell out of Zeppelin (gotta love those slide riffs from "In My Time of Dying", so fun to play once you figure out how to tune in open A / EC#AEAE).
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri May 09, 2014 2:40 am

^
Oh man you play an instrument? I've been wanting to learn to play the violin, piano, or the drums for a while now but I have so many things I've been trying to accomplish.

By the way have you ever heard this cover to Stairway to Heaven? Roger looks like he's going to cry as sees and hears it. I think it's better than the original.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri May 09, 2014 3:33 am

Oh, that was indeed very nice. But when it comes to Stairway covers, few can match this one in sheer WTF-ness.

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Oh man you play an instrument?

Mainly bass, some rhythm guitar and drums (though I don't own that last one). Ash plays guitar too, and she's much better than I am.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri May 09, 2014 3:58 am

^
That was the oddest cover to Stairway that I have ever heard, it kinda sounded reggae to me.

Did you have natural talent for it and take to it with ease or did it require a lot of hard work?

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri May 09, 2014 4:14 am

Work. And it's worth noting that I can't read musical notation or play by ear, I'm mainly a tablature guy.

I've been at guitar since late 2006, bass since mid-2011 (the time with guitar made it somewhat easier to transition into bass), drum I've just fiddled with here and there when I've had access.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Fri May 09, 2014 3:41 pm

I finally got around to giving "Book Burner" by Pig Destroyer a listen. I can't believe I put this off for two whole years. I should have known I'd enjoy it considering that 'Prowler in the Yard' and 'Terrifyer' are two of my go-to heavy albums.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Reiggae
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Reiggae » Mon May 12, 2014 8:35 pm

I've been listening to a lot of Daniel Johnston recently. His music is really creepy until you watch the documentary on him, then it sounds sad.
We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue May 13, 2014 10:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLg5POTvVzs

This song speaks to me on a profound racial level.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Yes, I was only introduced to it by The Walking Dead game, but Anadel still makes some damn beautiful songs:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taTTt7dH4Ig[/url]

I can't wait until some dedicated fan makes piano sheets so I could maybe do a cover of that song.

And I'm nothing like you

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby heavytread » Tue May 13, 2014 11:27 pm

I don't suppose anyone else here is a fan of Five Finger Death Punch? Personally 5FDP is my #3 top band.

Lately I've been listening to bands I normally didn't before like Seether, Theory of a Deadman and Three Days Graceto name a few.

Reiggae
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Reiggae » Wed May 14, 2014 2:59 pm

My favorite bands/musicians are Andrew Jackson Jihad, Animal Collective, Swans, Sufjan Stevens, The Mountain Goats, Neutral Milk Hotel, Flying Lotus, and Have a Nice Life.
We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

MJL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJL » Wed May 14, 2014 8:08 pm

I only listen to Finnish underground hip hop. I'm just swag like that.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:23 pm

View Original Postheavytread wrote:I don't suppose anyone else here is a fan of Five Finger Death Punch? Personally 5FDP is my #3 top band.

Lately I've been listening to bands I normally didn't before like Seether, Theory of a Deadman and Three Days Graceto name a few.

Lots of people at my school like them, I don't like them personally. I'm not a fan of tuff-guy metal, or redneck metal.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed May 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Went to the record store yesterday and picked up the new LP, "Days of Abandon" from pop rock band, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. It's their third LP after a self titled debut in 2009 and its follow up "Belong" in 2011.

Basically The Pains(I hate their band name) write three - four minute long songs that are catchy and gloomy, and albums that contain ten songs or so and fit onto a single record. Like any good pop rock band they have their hits and misses, but they stand out to me because they're very tongue in cheek and they sound like a lot of the bands I enjoy from the 80's. Young Adult Friction, Belong and Higher Than The Stars are three songs of theirs that I've been listening to frequently over the last few years and which are definitely worth a listen.

After just a couple listens it seems that their newest album has a good chance to be their best so far, and totally worthwhile to check out if you're into their old stuff. The opening track, "Art Smock" is my favorite track on it so far, and sets the whole thing off nicely.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”