If the house is a-rockin'... [RML Thread 3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:10 pm

It's quite a pleasant feeling- just stick around for another 500 posts. It gets even better. I would recommend switching to this, when the time comes. ;)
SPOILER: Show

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:09 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:^ That post's a week old, mate. :lol:

I was out for three weeks earning the couple of A's I just found out about.

(This concludes the plotline last detailed here. Yes, I did get the A in the end. An A-, but close enough.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:12 pm

I arrived home from my morning run to see that the raws for KLK 24 came out. IT ENDS TODAY

Also, I just got my SATs back. 2020! :jiggy:

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:32 pm

We had to move our router today and now I'm getting an average of 20 Mbps download speeds on my laptop instead about 10.

Yaaaaaaay.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Went out for ice cream and found a bread shop next door with a sale. French baguette gooooood.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:43 pm

KlK finale  SPOILER: Show

ARIGATO, TORIGA.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm

There's nothing like slaving almost two days in a row on research paper because I don't understand the meaning of starting right before deadline. I didn't even know what I'd write about yesterday! :lol:

Still, what's done is done. I still had 1½ hours time to finish, even.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:42 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:There's nothing like slaving almost two days in a row on research paper because I don't understand the meaning of starting right before deadline. I didn't even know what I'd write about yesterday! :lol:

That was my experience last quarter -- starting at the last minute, except I got a terrible grade on the project that I'd started late on but still walked away with an A for some reason. After such a near-death experience I'm taking a completely different tack this quarter, to such an extent I actually read the entire syllabus for once, before even the first day of class.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm back home, now. I'm really lucky I flew in today and not tomorrow. Lufthansa employees are striking and some of my coworkers' flights were canceled. FML for them, lucky-as-fuck for me.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:46 am

Huh, seems kinda weird that no one's posted here in over a week....

Anyway, through a very fortunate series of events I am now in a position to move all of my personal data off of my old hard drive! A student I met happened to have a laptop of the same model as my broken one. He lent it to me, I swapped in my hard drive, and the computer booted (basically) as it did before. My friend let me borrow his external hard drive to act as a go-between, so I'm now ready to start the process. Speaking of which, I have just one question to ask about all this:

Anyone know if it's safe to move my "User" folder off of the computer? I like to organize my files by timestamps, so I'd like to somehow move the original files off of the hard drive instead of just copying them. Would making a copy and then moving the originals work?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:06 am

Move is copy and delete if not on the same drive, so will still lose timestamps. To keep timestamps when you move to a different drive, you need to use a program that will transfer them explicitly - Robocopy is the free MS one.

I would actually take an image of the drive so that I could sort out details at leisure.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:26 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Huh, seems kinda weird that no one's posted here in over a week....

I hadn't even noticed! I guess that pops the cap on my hesitation to post this.

I'm a huge World of Darkness fan. When the original World of Darkness line (oWoD for short) ended, it was in favor of birthing a new one, known, of course, as the nWoD. I was extremely excited for it, because, hey, new WoD, anything can happen! Maybe it'll be even better!

Only problem was, it sucked. Not everyone agrees with that, obviously, and hey, even I found a lot to like about it during my time with it. But the Vampire reboot in particular (Vampire: the Requiem) seemed like little more than a stripped down version of the original (Vampire: the Masquerade). They cut the clans down from 13 to 5 without really making them any broader to compensate, and even the Disciplines (the name for the vampire powers) were either little more than the same as before or often even cut down.

My group and I played it for a while but before long we all just kind of agreed that it wasn't worth it and we went back to Masquerade and never revisited Requiem.

Fast-forward to just a few weeks or months ago when I was getting a bit of a bug about revisiting Requiem. For all the problems it had, there was still something in it that I longed for that I wasn't getting out of Masquerade. The entire oWoD was infamous for its overbearing metaplot and rigid, overbearing structures. A lot of things were essentially impossible: You could never credibly run, say, a story where the two major sects live in any kind of peace or cooperation (unless it was like an apocalyptic chronicle or otherwise very straining of normal circumstances). The sect and clan alliances and animosities were essentially fixed. The whole game was very restrictive, and I felt this frequently as compared to the freedom I remembered having (as a Storyteller i.e. GM) during my time with Requiem. I had at the time recently been rereading old plot material from our run with Requiem and was nostalgic for the freedom I had to construct the history and alliances of my custom city, because in Requiem everything is local, there is no backdrop of a huge globe-spanning war between a mere two major vampire sects. Even though Requiem was basically a cut down Masquerade, I found a lot to like in what was missing.

Fast-forward to just the other day when I finally got back around to reading an RPG.net tab I'd left open from that time a few weeks/months ago when I was nostalgic (it was a thread of people's opinions of the oWoD vs the nWoD), and discovered therein a reference to something that was described at the time of the thread as "up-and-coming": the "Strix Chronicle". At first I thought it was just this one poster's personal pet project because that's how the writing of his posts came off. But I noticed that these posts were old, and so I figured, why not google this thing and see what became of it? Maybe I'd get a laugh if nothing even turned up and the guy was just full of hot air talking about the great thing he was working on.

Turns out, I had no idea what I was going to stumble upon.

This thing -- "Blood & Smoke: the Strix Chronicle" -- isn't just some guy's pet project. It's not the work of any one person at all; that was a complete misconception. Nominally, it's a sourcebook for VtR, but it isn't even just that. It isn't even just the new version of VtR (which is basically what it is, and it's a little surprising it's not billed that way). It is, in essence, the true successor to Masquerade: it is Requiem fixed and expanded to be what I thought it would be back when I got hyped for it all the way back in 2004 or 2005. It is the concept of VtR perfected.

It. Fixes. Everything.

It's amazing. It's incredible! It's the most inspiring piece of tabletop RPG reading I've ever read. Stories and characters instantly swirled throughout my mind with each section I read. They finally broke free of the shackles of Masquerade's legacy, changing the very fundament of what it means to be a vampire in a World of Darkness game, while still retaining enough of the formula to be familiar and using those elements wisely.

The changes that have me so enamored number pages long, but to cite just one example, the Disciplines have been changed in such a way that they feel like much truer expressions of their underlying ideas than even their originals in Masquerade. The individual powers within them have been reorganized so that the coolest and most immediately useful and most clan-lifestyle-essential ones come first (e.g. the ability to meld into the earth to slumber in safety away from the day's rays no matter where you are is now the first level of the wilderness-wandering clan's signature Discipline, whereas in VtR it was level 2 and in VtM it was level 3 despite its utter base necessity to the clan's lifestyle!), and many have been changed or combined or expanded into a broader concept with greater applicability, and some of the new high-level powers are very distinctly "elder" in their atmosphere.

And now I'm utterly spoiled by these reworked Disciplines and have a difficult time imagining going back. The clans, thanks to these changed Disciplines, are now likewise versatile enough that as I read them I was easily able to imagine largely replicating certain VtM clans within them, as well as entirely new concepts; finally, the five clans of VtR, with much broader powers and broader clan weaknesses, have become the extremely broad archetypes they were always meant to be. This has everything I loved about Requiem and nothing I didn't, and absolutely none of it harkens back to or rides the coattails of Masquerade; the stuff that makes it so much better now is all new.

And -- blasphemy of blasphemies -- I like it better than Masquerade. And I say that with no hesitation or reservations.

This isn't the kind of thing I'd normally post in RML, or even on EGF. I keep my roleplaying life pretty separate. But I have no other outlet right now :lol: and this is easily the single biggest thing to happen in my roleplaying life since I discovered the WoD.

Why, why, why did this have to find me on a critical week before the due date of difficult homework?! :hitthetable: I can't stop reading this thing and daydreaming about what hosting it would be like. Worse, my player (yeah, I have only one) has been MIA for over a month now and I continue to worry that he might have killed himself and I'll never see him again, let alone ever be able to convince him to reimagine his current undercover elder Tzimisce (masquerading as a fledgeling teen girl goth-club-princess Toreador from Romania) as a Blood & Smoke Gangrel. :sigh:
System Administrator

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:58 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Move is copy and delete if not on the same drive, so will still lose timestamps. To keep timestamps when you move to a different drive, you need to use a program that will transfer them explicitly - Robocopy is the free MS one.

Not too good with the command line, so I'm going to try TeraCopy instead. From what I've seen, the only timestamp that changes when I move things is the "Date Modified", not "Date Created". I think I can live with that.

That wasn't the most important part of the post though; I'm more interested in knowing if it's actually safe to move my "User" folder off of the drive.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:06 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I'm more interested in knowing if it's actually safe to move my "User" folder off of the drive.
On Linux, yes. On Windows, not so sure. I've moved subdirectories of my user directory off to another drive with some reparse-point-fu, like Download and Pictures. I'm not sure if it's possible to reparse off the user directory wholesale. I think Windows does some boot-time stuff with it before it starts acting on reparse points and that would break things. I could be wrong, though.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:14 am

I was actually looking into this earlier this week. It is possible to move the whole User directory off C: using a junction point. However, the best procedure to implement this is painful, involving using the repair interface on an install disk so that no one is logged in during the move. MS also state that doing this may break Windows update, and will break update installs of later versions of Windows.

However, you can readily move the Documents or Music folders of an individual user to another drive using supported methods (which set a junction point at a different level of the tree).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:25 am

Can I assume that this means that moving the User folder would cause problems only on startup? If so, would it work if I made a copy of the folder in the "Users" directory, then moved the original, then renamed the copy so that it has the same name as the original?
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:06 am

The user folder is held open by the system, and so cannot be moved in a running system. The instructions for moving it run to a whole page of command-line stuff in the repair environment.

What you actually want to do is this. (That article also has a link to the MS advice about moving Users causing problems with upgrades.)

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:17 am

I guess I should also mention that this hard drive is getting wiped after I move all my stuff off of it anyway, so I don't really need to worry about not being able to upgrade. :tongue:

I'm in a chat with the Microsoft Answer Desk, and according to him my "copy/move/replace" procedure should work. I figured there might be some problem with moving files that might still be in use, but apparently there is not....

EDIT: The guy on the other end of the chat seems kinda sketchy for some reason....
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:19 pm

If what you are doing is, in essence, a backup and restore, then a simple bulk copy of all the user files (i.e. not per-user system files like the per-user registry hives) is just like any other part of the file system.

@Monk Ed
20-odd years ago when I ran Vampire:tM, I simply ignored the bits of the over-plot that I didn't care for, in favour of my own secret history of London.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:33 pm

I FOUND A HIGH RES FRECKLE MOD FOR SKYRIM Asuka is going to look so pretty now I love freckles.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”