The Gainax Cash Cow, or, Why The F*!& Did I Buy That?!

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:46 pm

I swear I've seen that before... Am I imagining it or is ANN just slow on reporting on this one?
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:36 pm

ANN is incredibly slow. If you watch the feed in the chat the ANN article comes up ~2 days after the Japanese blogs post something.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:I swear I've seen that before... Am I imagining it or is ANN just slow on reporting on this one?

I swear I saw it at least 2 years ago. Amazon.jp says it became available March 2010.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:32 am

Thought so. Must have been a slow news day or something.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Kid
Embryo

Postby Kid » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:07 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-01-16/monolith-yourself-with-a-full-zip-up-evangelion-seele-hoodie[/url]
seele monolith zip up hoodie

personally if I saw someone walking around in that I would feel a urge to run them over (not a seele fan)

Now I'm wondering how an Eva fan would react if a bunch of robbers showed up to them wearing those jackets.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 am

I told myself again and again you DON'T need to buy
Eva: death and rebirth. It's just a recap of the whole series
and a little bit of EOE thrown in for good measure
Why would I want to have it if I already own the complete tv series?

Guess what I bought today....
(no, really take a stab in the dark)

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:17 pm

^ You're not alone. I own it too, but mainly for the reason, that I'm kind of neurotically obsessed with completing everything I do. (In this case I needed to own a "complete" EVA-DVD-Set) But it's nearly useless, if I remember rightly I watched it one time, when I was ironing some shirts. :uhh:
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:26 pm

I got Death in a set with EoE, partly because I found the set cheaper than EoE on its own, but partly in the ignorant assumption that it was a summary of the show that could be watched as a quick substitute for the whole thing. The best thing I can say for it is that it didn't actually put me off getting to know the show properly.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:15 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I got Death in a set with EoE, partly because I found the set cheaper than EoE on its own, but partly in the ignorant assumption that it was a summary of the show that could be watched as a quick substitute for the whole thing. The best thing I can say for it is that it didn't actually put me off getting to know the show properly.

Did you watch Death and EoE before the series? I can't imagine how confused you were. Death does work well as a summary though, as long as you have seen the series previously it can be used as a quick refresher before going into EoE.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Yes, I did. Confusion's hardly the word for it!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Joy Evangelion » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:45 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Why would I want to have it if I already own the complete tv series?

Guess what I bought today....
(no, really take a stab in the dark)

I think there's much worse things an Eva fan could buy instead of D+R :tongue: ...Obviously Rebirth is pretty useless if one owns EoE, but I think Death is pretty sick(and I know I'm not the only one here who thinks that). It's pretty cheap too, I think mine was about five dollars or so, and if one has the Manga Ent. releases of both they look good on a shelf together.

Also,
--The poster art for D+R was one of Sadamoto's nicest Evangelion pieces. It's a little kitschy but the Children look great.
--The redrawn scenes of Rei's smiling in Ep. 06 and Shinji deciding not to get on the train in Ep. 04 are head and shoulders above the original animation.
--The credit sequence with the headless angel, the sunset and Kanon in D playing is a nice lead into EoE if one wanted to marathon both films.
-- The summary of Shogouki's battle with Sachiel is pretty cool, with all of the things flashing all over the place.
--It's NGE.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Yeah D+R is a great piece especially for any collectors or even completionists (though I don't consider myself either). I even intend to use it in my next rewatch of the series sometime this year: Watch the OA version of NGE including EOTV, take a break, then watch D+R, another break and then finally EOE.

I agree with Joy too; love that cover art!
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:25 pm

Animation on Display moved out of San Francisco and came down the Peninsula to Burlingame. I have no interest in going to this con since it's not a strictly anime con, but they did have a swap meet on Friday that was unbadged. Very few Eva pickings but I did find this promo flyer for the Docomo SH-06D Android phone.

Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:23 am

I just love how in any advertising poster had Evangelion 3.0 on it, but only put images from 1.0 and 2.0!
I guess that the Wunder's fleet and NERV HQ in ruins aren't really photogenic to sell cellphones and other merchandises! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 am

Maybe it'd be difficult to just include images from the first 8 minutes of 3.0 while anything from the rest of the movie would be too much reveal.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:05 pm

I think that by now everyone interested in Evangelion in Japon knows about 3.0's surprise time skip and post-3I apocalyptic Earth twists.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:09 pm

I meant pre-November 2012. Now the thing with 4.0 pre-release merch and promos, 3.0 imagery?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Oh, that poster was pre-November 2012? Then I guess that explains everything! -o-;

Now for 4.0 pre-release merch they'll certainly put images from 3.0, since it ties better with what will happen than images from the previous movies, but for all the rest of the merch(cellphones, food...) I think that they'll stick to 1.0 and 2.0 images, still more photogenic than the Wunder's corridors and the ruins of Tokyo-3!

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Evangelion Spoons and Jelly: (only scanned the thread, maybe we already had this one)

SPOILER: Show
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:19 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:still more photogenic than the Wunder's corridors and the ruins of Tokyo-3!

You know what would hook people? Alternate version of Kaworu suggesting he's back.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”