Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 am

Binbougami ga seems set to end at just about the perfect moment, unlike a lot of stuff that drags on and on and on and on (i'm looking at you, Nisekoi).

Also, has anyone mentioned Nozoki Ana? NSFW but amazing.

Aurelian
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Aurelian » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Any of you would have something (animes, mangas, movies) to recommend to someone who enjoys monsters, aliens, demons, crazy creatures stuff?

Thank you.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:39 pm

^Pandora Hearts, it's nothing short of great.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 am

View Original PostAurelian wrote:monsters, aliens, demons, crazy creatures stuff
Narutaru is a perennial favourite in that space. Claymore has its share of increasingly over the top monstrous transformations.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Aurelian
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Aurelian » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:28 pm

June and Tines, thank you.
After 3 episode of Pandora's Heart, there is still not catch. (I would bet that the one hidden face that Gilbert tried to protect is Oz's father. XD)
Claymore is one of the rare anime I could enjoy, also the demons have a good looking, very animalistic/feral. This anime could touch a number of themes that I find interesting.
As for Narutaru, I will give a try.

Thanks , again.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:30 pm

^ I'd read the manga of Pandora Hearts if I were you, the anime isn't nearly as good. Also the manga is still ongoing (near its end though), same with Claymore.

Aurelian
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Aurelian » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:07 pm

I tend to favor the anime first. It is a subjective blocage; the "bisho" and "loli" style on an anime tend to freeze my interest but at least the rabbit does not look too bad.

Taking a look on Narutaru , (clicked on a page chapter 7 V7) there is an anencephalic monster . XD I guess the story is about him and his asocial (but funny) behavior .

Edit:

June, my guess were good The first episode "mysterious" hidden face guy. XD
I saw all the episodes. The sotry was not too bad, but not more.

As for Narutaru, I enjoyed reading the Chap 7. So I need to be bullied to get my monster?It is social time.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Does anyone else do backgrounds like Nihei?
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Pssh, looking for "like Nihei" when not even started KOS yet.

:um-no:

Shame on you...

To be fair though, that's what he is really known for as a mangaka: His backdrops, landscapes and buildings. He was a architecture student and it really shows through overtly in his work.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:31 pm

I started Sidonia. I'm not sure if I like how it looks yet.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Sleigh Lain Fish
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sleigh Lain Fish » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:33 pm

I'm nearly finished with Uzumaki, and I need another horror manga.. From what I've checked out, the three I've narrowed my choices down to are: The Drifitng Classroom, Panorama of Hell, or Mr. Arashi's Amazing Feak Show. Anybody read any of them? If you've read more than one, which would you pick? And, really, anything you wanna say about these mango or the horror genre would be taken into my consideration.. Thanks folks.

Oh, and is Homonculus available in English at all?
"In the land of a thousand fathers, she was born on the Fourth of July. But that don't mean she was made in America.. She was gone in the blink of an eye. She belongs, but she acts like a stranger. She can laugh, but she ain't free. I am my only devil, because they'll believe what they want to believe." - Josh Scogin.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:51 pm

View Original PostSleigh Lain Fish wrote:I'm nearly finished with Uzumaki, and I need another horror manga..

Oh boy, lots to choose from. Obviously, if you've read Uzumaki, you should also try Gyo, another great series by Ito. You could then read Museum of Terror, Tomie and Flesh Colored Horror, also by Ito. I highly recommend Lullabies from Hell, really good stuff. It's a 70's horror anthology series, really gory and dark. Hino Horrors and Panorama of Hell are good too.

Sleigh Lain Fish
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sleigh Lain Fish » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:15 pm

I've made notes in my 'To-Read' list of the other Ito mangos, but I wanna try another author. I guess I'll make the order for Panorama of Hell. ..Jeeze, I'm gonna need a dedicated bookshelf soon I think. (:
"In the land of a thousand fathers, she was born on the Fourth of July. But that don't mean she was made in America.. She was gone in the blink of an eye. She belongs, but she acts like a stranger. She can laugh, but she ain't free. I am my only devil, because they'll believe what they want to believe." - Josh Scogin.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:32 pm

View Original PostSleigh Lain Fish wrote:I've made notes in my 'To-Read' list of the other Ito mangos, but I wanna try another author. I guess I'll make the order for Panorama of Hell. ..Jeeze, I'm gonna need a dedicated bookshelf soon I think. (:

Yeah, lots of great horror manga, unfortunately most of Hino's work is OOP, I was lucky enough to find Lullabies from Hell at a BMV in Toronto for relatively cheap. Gyo volume 1 also goes for a high price, luckily VIZ has decided to re-release Uzumaki as one whole volume with full color, so there's a chance they'll do the same with Gyo.

Sleigh Lain Fish
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sleigh Lain Fish » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:37 pm

Gee, that'd be great.. Because sometimes finding what you need is impossible. Soo frustrating.

Not exactly related, but speaking of omnibus (that's the Uzumaki volume I own), is Clover really worth reading? I'm not too big on shojo, but I did like Chobits, and I've heard great things. Plus I saw it at B&N the other day.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:01 am

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:Oh boy, lots to choose from. Obviously, if you've read Uzumaki, you should also try Gyo, another great series by Ito. You could then read Museum of Terror, Tomie and Flesh Colored Horror, also by Ito. I highly recommend Lullabies from Hell, really good stuff. It's a 70's horror anthology series, really gory and dark. Hino Horrors and Panorama of Hell are good too.

Of Ito's work, I would recommend:

Hellstar Remina (aka Jigokusei Remina)
The Enigma of Amigara Fault
Black Paradox
Flesh-Coloured Horror
Museum of Terror
Tomie
Voices in the Dark

Gyo was OK, but I felt it was more weird and bizarre than actually scary.

If you have any difficulty buying Ito's work, many of them are scanlated for free online.

As for Clover, I am not a fan of it myself but if you like CLAMP and supernatural themes maybe you could try their other work xxxHolic or its action-themed sister title Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:57 pm

would you guys recommend vinland saga?

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:00 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:would you guys recommend vinland saga?

Hell Yeah. I really enjoyed the first 89 chapters, (I read the published chapters on a yearly basis) mainly because I'm already kind of attracted to Vikings and listen to a lot of Viking-Metal, but the manga itself is just beautiful drawn, just rough enough in terms of action and has really likable characters.

I would rate it 8.5/10 and recommend for "trial-reading" it if you're even slightly interested.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Yeah, I was going to read it anyway but wanted to gauge opinion here. Thanks.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:56 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:would you guys recommend vinland saga?

Pro -- same mangaka who did Planetes; bad-ass Jomvikings
Con -- long interlude of "Farmland Saga"
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Anime and Manga”