Does Evangelion ever make you depressed?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

purplewig
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby purplewig » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Evangelion makes me feel melancholy, and while it fuels my depression it isn't the cause. It ends happily but there's also a ton of sadness there. In EOE
SPOILER: Show
even though Shinji realizes that he treasures his friends and that they are there for him and that he cares about them, when he gets out of the LCL Asuka is the only person there with him. In the end we have no idea if the other people Shinji cares about come out of the LCL at all. Even if they did, what's left in the world for them now that it's been destroyed?
Happy Platypus Day!

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:13 am

It did, for a little while post-"first viewing of EoE".

Now, I'm better. Can't you tell? :tongue:
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:29 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:It did, for a little while post-"first viewing of EoE".

Now, I'm better. Can't you tell? :tongue:

As if EoE wasn't bad enough, try quadrupling it with Rebuild 3.0. Talk about MAJOR DEPRESSION!! -o-;
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:38 am

^ Meh...as the saying goes, "been there, done that" (specifically just month or so after its release). A downer, certainly, but nothing I haven't experienced before.

Honestly, I find myself caring less and less about Rebuild. Not that it's bad, just...I dunno, I can't explain it. Call it a gut feeling, instinct, etc.

Still going to wait around 'til after Final, though. Just in case Rebuild!Shinji snaps out of his 'episode' and pulls a "no gods, no masters" (Fallout: New Vegas reference) moment and tells the world and everyone in it to go fuck themselves. At this point, I'd be okay with that.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:47 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:As if EoE wasn't bad enough, try quadrupling it with Rebuild 3.0. Talk about MAJOR DEPRESSION!! -o-;

The only glimmer of hope is that there is still one movie left, and that the preview promised that things will get better for poor Shinji.

But now imagine that Khara kept their original intention to make it a trilogy, and that Q was really the end of the story, a really open-ended story which would them tell the story of the fall from grace of a boy drafted against his will in a war that way beyond him, and his fall even further into complete darkness and despair after an hopeless attempt to atone for his sins...

Yeah even Elfen Lied would be a fucking kid show compared to it!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:25 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Just in case Rebuild!Shinji snaps out of his 'episode' and pulls a "no gods, no masters" (Fallout: New Vegas reference) moment and tells the world and everyone in it to go fuck themselves. At this point, I'd be okay with that.

So Eva 01 is Hoover Dam? Hell yea I'd pay good money to see this. Shame Anno'd never let it happen in a million years.

Though to be fair that's kind of what happened in 2.0. "Fuck you guys, I'm taking my waifu and leaving."
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:28 am

Nope. 2.0 Was more along the line "She deserves to live. Better if I die and I don't care who the rest of the world use as a meatshield then"
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Kid
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kid » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:40 pm

nah I've never gotten depressed by Evangelion. Most of the sad moments are tragically beautiful and the ending of the show was happy and bittersweet.

Rebuild just doesn't make me feel like NGE did so that's not even a factor. Well, maybe thinking about how long it'll be until 4.0 comes out makes me depressed.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:30 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:^ Meh...as the saying goes, "been there, done that" (specifically just month or so after its release). A downer, certainly, but nothing I haven't experienced before.

Honestly, I find myself caring less and less about Rebuild. Not that it's bad, just...I dunno, I can't explain it. Call it a gut feeling, instinct, etc.

Still going to wait around 'til after Final, though. Just in case Rebuild!Shinji snaps out of his 'episode' and pulls a "no gods, no masters" (Fallout: New Vegas reference) moment and tells the world and everyone in it to go fuck themselves. At this point, I'd be okay with that.

Ah, I think I've figured out what you're suffering from Bardy. Tv Tropes would call it "Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy". I think it fits a lot of our feelings towards it. :lol:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:54 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:The only glimmer of hope is that there is still one movie left, and that the preview promised that things will get better for poor Shinji.

The preview is ambiguous enough to be a total bait and switch. Like, what if Shinji 'finding hope' is what directly leads to Final Impact? :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:23 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The preview is ambiguous enough to be a total bait and switch. Like, what if Shinji 'finding hope' is what directly leads to Final Impact? :p

Then I'd totally endorse Misato and the Wunder crew blowing his little head off.

:nyao:

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:38 pm

You guys are just warm bunches of Sunshine, aren't you? :rolleyes: :lol:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:01 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The preview is ambiguous enough to be a total bait and switch. Like, what if Shinji 'finding hope' is what directly leads to Final Impact? :p

His emotions already led him to trigger two Impacts, having him repeating the same thing a third would turn these tragic moments into running gags! :lol:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:55 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:His emotions already led him to trigger two Impacts, having him repeating the same thing a third would turn these tragic moments into running gags! :lol:

It already is a running gag, more or less. Remember that "Oh boy, I can't wait to start an Impact today!" picture?

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:You guys are just warm bunches of Sunshine, aren't you? :rolleyes: :lol:

Always look on the bright side of death, just before you draw your terminal breath!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:01 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It already is a running gag, more or less. Remember that "Oh boy, I can't wait to start an Impact today!" picture?

I remember it quite well, that's why there isn't any need to and yet another occurrence to the gag chain. :tongue:

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:
Always look on the bright side of death, just before you draw your terminal breath!

Monty Python references aside, I may have to take it, but I don't damn well like it. :lol:

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:03 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Ah, I think I've figured out what you're suffering from Bardy. Tv Tropes would call it "Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy". I think it fits a lot of our feelings towards it. :lol:

Well, I gave up trying to predict where it was headed as far back as after 2.0 (actually, before it was even over). Based on 1.0, I though 2.0 would be another "pretty but only slightly altered retread". Yeah, that one wasn't that far off, but there were definitely more changes than the first. And after 2.0's ending, I had no clue where it was going. Not where we ended up heading, I knew that much (apart from the obligatory Kaworu-specific stuff). Now, in the wake of 3.0? Not a frickin' clue. Final could go in any direction. But given how it's already gone, I don't think it will end well. Probably another ambiguous final scene, if I had to place any sort of a wager.

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:09 am

Yes I'm sad.
I basically did a marathon of the original TV series and EoE.
I'm extremely sad.
I'm sad for the characters and I'm sad for myself because I see similarities between myself and Shinji.

I have no family whatsoever. Storylines involving long lost mothers really get to me because I yearn for my mommy.
And I am like the hedgehog, scared of relationships.
So the show hit me pretty hard.

I'm also extremely sad for the characters because, wow, it's just such a sad story.
Some people might be comforted by the fact that Misato or Ritsuko were part of the Instrumentality and can come back to life if they choose, but I'm still sad because in their first true life they were so sad and miserable and their lives ended so unfulfilled.

Shinji lost his mom, Asuka lost her mom. Misato lost her father.
The storyline is just sad in general.
Last edited by MisatoCrush on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:14 am

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:
I basically did a marathon of the original TV series and EoE.

I did it too, but not when I watched it for the first time. I hope you're okay. :huh:
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 am

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:I did it too, but not when I watched it for the first time. I hope you're okay. :huh:

I'm sort of ok. I've been walking around kind of in a daze. Moving very slowly and deliberately. Observing people a lot. Doing a lot of self reflection. Regretting a lot of past mistakes and missed opportunities for relationships.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”