Question about Music in Chronological Order of Usage

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

Question about Music in Chronological Order of Usage

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:25 pm

This is a question that has both a self-serving reason behind it as well as one that could benefit the wiki. For the self-serving end of things, I am attempting to arrange a playlist of all of the music that appears in the original series and movies, in (roughly) the order it first appears in. To start, this page has been incredibly helpful, but it only goes up to episode 6. And looking at the unfinished commentary episodes, they do not include music cues either. So, my question is this: Does there exist a full extensive list of all the music in the series in chronological order, or has it not been fully compiled yet?

I suspect that the answer is that it does not exist, and this is where the part that might benefit the wiki comes into play. My plan if there is not already a list is to rewatch the series and compile the list myself. In doing so, I would share my findings with the wiki, which would complete the list on the page linked to above, and also be an addition to the unpublished commentary episodes. If this is the endeavor I must undertake, would there be anyone who would be willing to help out with this? I know I could get most of the more obvious tracks, but for things like the quiet background Masami Okui tracks that aren't on any of the EVA soundtracks, I know I personally would have trouble compiling that info. So, if there is anyone with some extensive Evangelion music knowledge out there that would be willing to lend a helping hand, I would be quite grateful.

Unless the list I'm looking for actually does already exist. In which case, I'd be all set.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Not 100% sure this is completely but here's what's in one of the LD inserts:

It doesn't list them in chronological order but it lists which episodes they appeared in and how many times throughout the series.
SPOILER: Show
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am

That will definitely be useful in sectioning things off more or less into their respective episodes, but looking at it, I definitely need to rewatch the series now, because that list includes a lot of tracks from S2 Works that I can't recall appearing in the series, unless it was as faint background music. So, I'll have to check that out at some point. All the same, thanks for supplying that list!

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Question about Music in Chronological Order of Usage

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:To start, this page has been incredibly helpful, but it only goes up to episode 6.

That page is based on Reichu's original S² Works page, cross-linked to the Commentary pages. It only includes the first 6 episodes because, well, that's where the Commentary project is currently stuck at. All the storyboard pages up to #24 are already uploaded on the Wiki, I've pretty much completed the last two episodes but I haven't uploaded them yet.

View Original PostSephizim wrote:My plan if there is not already a list is to rewatch the series and compile the list myself. In doing so, I would share my findings with the wiki, which would complete the list on the page linked to above, and also be an addition to the unpublished commentary episodes. If this is the endeavor I must undertake, would there be anyone who would be willing to help out with this?

If you're interested in completing that page, I'd be more than happy to help. Unfortunately, the DVD scripts don't contain any note about the music, so the only way to time the tracks correctly is to rewatch the entire series. Keep in mind that Renewal introduced a few changes in the timing of the soundtrack. For example, Reichu noted a few of them in Episode 1 Scene 6. The DC episodes go even further, of course, but we have separate pages for that.

The markup used in that page should be quite straightforward. The Commentary templates are more of a challenge, but they're relatively easy to work with once you've learned the basics. Feel free to ask any questions about them. You'll probably need to ask on the Scribes thread to get the permissions needed to edit the Commentary pages - the FGC namespace requires different edit permissions than the "regular" Wiki pages.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Yeah, a re-watch of the series would need to wait until after Otakon, when I get my free time back. I already made some notes for episode 7, but some peculiarities have arisen. Plugging tracks from S^2 Works usually isn't that difficult, but I've come across some discrepancies regarding the two versions of B-16 (Misato). The wiki lists the "Rhythm Only" version as the one used in episodes 2 and 5, though the LD Insert linked to above says it isn't the one used in episode 5, the one from the first OST is apparently the one used there. The difference between these two tracks is so very subtle (basically, one just doesn't have strings playing for part of it), so when I get a chance, I'll have to watch episode 5 to see which is the real one.

Otherwise, most of the tracks are from the main OSTs, and aside from a few anomalies I mentioned in my previous post, most of the ones that are on S^2 Works insrtead are various mixes of songs that appear on the main OSTs. (Although one exception I never understood is why B-5 Requiem, Sorrow (The Soft Sound of Bells) was never on one of the main OSTs. It featured pretty prominently at the beginning of episode 22, and its omission always struck me as odd).

The only other thing that bugs me from the "trying to compile a playlist" end is that some of the versions of Fly Me to the Moon that are used in both versions never got any type of commercial release. Ideally, I'd have a playlist that includes all versions of that song in their proper places, but I suppose that won't happen. I'm more or less supplementing those with the various versions that have been released on the different CDs through the years.

Anyway, I think I already have scribe status, but I'll look into all that after Otakon. In the meantime, I'll reflect deeply on how I'm going to approach this whole thing. The version I own is the American Platinum release, so most of my timing cues will be based off the Renewal version. I'll see if I can figure it out for the original version, but if I recall correctly, the music cues in the commentaries are based on the ones used in the Renewal version, right?

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:52 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:Plugging tracks from S^2 Works usually isn't that difficult, but I've come across some discrepancies regarding the two versions of B-16 (Misato). The wiki lists the "Rhythm Only" version as the one used in episodes 2 and 5, though the LD Insert linked to above says it isn't the one used in episode 5, the one from the first OST is apparently the one used there.

Thanks for the info.
I've checked #02 and #05 right now and I'm almost 100% sure that both of them use "B-16 Misato (Rhythm Only)". As for the LD insert, in all these years spent on the storyboards I've learned not to trust too much every "official" production info about the TV series (hell, they never bothered to fix the official scripts they included on the DVDs, not even for Renewal!)

By they way, while both "B-16 Misato" from S² Works and "Misato" from OST I might seem identical, I've just found that if you check them in an audio editor, the latter is slightly slower than the former. I've seen that happen with the different versions of the OP while I was preparing AMVs back in the day, I guess the masters where originally recorded on analog media before mastering them on CDs at a later time.

View Original PostSephizim wrote:I'll see if I can figure it out for the original version, but if I recall correctly, the music cues in the commentaries are based on the ones used in the Renewal version, right?

Right, the Commentary follows the Renewal/Platinum version (we'll see what to do if we ever get to the DC episodes), but we can write about the few differences between it and the "original" version in the comments. The old FGC site has a list of some of the changes between Video/LD and Renewal, but nobody has started to migrate it to the wiki and complete it yet.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:54 am

My absence for the past 5 months may have led some of you to believe that I had given up on this project. As it turns out, I always planned on actually setting out to complete my goal, I just got rather distracted by life for a while there. In fact, it was my sudden overwhelming desire to complete that playlist that got me back into the idea of doing all of this.

And in fact, I've already started the process. I've re-watched the first 6 episodes to verify with my own ears that the information in the "Music in Chronological Order of Usage" page was in fact correct. And I am glad I decided to use do so. It is very minor, but that page is actually missing a music cue. In episode 3, scene 5, there is a short bit where Kensuke is checking the news stations, and the broadcast has some music playing along with it. The commentary lists this as a sound effect for "easy listening music" but I actually recognized it as track C-1 off of S^2 Works. After listening to it a few times, I am fairly certain that the small snippet is of the "Without Latin Percussion" version. (Surprisingly, this wasn't even listed on that LD insert). I plan on updating that page later, when I upload all the information about the music for the other episodes. (Other than that, the page is pretty much good as it is. Just want to switch the order of the ED and Preview for the first episode, and then list all of the "Fly Me to the Moon" tracks as ED instead of Preview.)

As for the rest, I've got the entirety of tomorrow with nothing else to do but watch EVA, so I plan on compiling as much data as I can, if not all of it. I'll report back with my findings.

EDIT: Well, due to some unexpected computer issues, I fell short of my goal. I only got up to episode 13 today. I'll take care of the rest over the next few days, and upload everything then.

EDIT 2: So.... I just realized that the old S2 Works page linked to earlier in this thread has the list I've been working to compile... already completed. So... yeah. Um. I guess that invalidates my work, for the most part. I mean, I guess I'll migrate that info over to the wiki. Plus, I've noted some differences between my list and that one, so I'll be factoring those changes in, too. Plus, I notated the scenes that each track appears in, so there is that, too. Still, I guess I should have just checked out that page first and saved myself a lot of trouble. *sigh* All the same, it was nice to rewatch the series like that again. I still have to watch the last 6 episodes and the movies again, but I'm close to finishing this list up. (Also of use is that the S2 Works page has the names of the GYUU and Lilia songs I didn't have the titles for, which is incredibly useful.)

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:29 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:And I am glad I decided to use do so. It is very minor, but that page is actually missing a music cue. In episode 3, scene 5, there is a short bit where Kensuke is checking the news stations, and the broadcast has some music playing along with it. The commentary lists this as a sound effect for "easy listening music" but I actually recognized it as track C-1 off of S^2 Works.

Feel free to fix it, or fix any other episode page if you need to. I haven't listened to those tracks that closely yet... or to the entire S² Works, for that matter.

View Original PostSephizim wrote:(Also of use is that the S2 Works page has the names of the GYUU and Lilia songs I didn't have the titles for, which is incredibly useful.)

I sometimes seriously wonder how much time Reichu spent on those details back in the day :)

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Listening to S2 Works all the way through doesn't take too long, so I would recommend it as soon as you can. Anyway, all I have left to notate (other than a few odds and ends) is the movies, and tomorrow I will update the page.

View Original Postath wrote:I sometimes seriously wonder how much time Reichu spent on those details back in the day :)

I know, right? Just this alone took me a whole week, and it would have taken longer to figure out some of those GYUU and Lilia tracks on my own. Truly, a most remarkable woman, that Reichu.

EDIT: More computer issues, so those updates will be delayed a bit. Plus, I just noticed that the actual page includes links to the cuts that the music begins playing in. I had not notated that because I only realized it halfway through the process, and by the time I did, figured that since those episodes don't have commentary, and the music timing differs from version to version, I was justified in leaving it alone. But I since saw a note that the commentary uses the timing used in the Renewal episodes, and since the pages are already on the site... well, I might as well just go back and grab that info. Which will be a lot easier and faster than just rewatching the entire series. So yeah, it'll be a little while still before the final update.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”