Top 10 Films of 2013

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Dunno about the DVD release, haven't checked it.

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Xard how do you get to meet all these cool important filmbros, let alone talk to them?

Oppenheimer was quest at Helsinki International Film Festival in which I saw the film. He held before and after screening Q&A's (yes, it's okay to laugh at it, people in Indonesia laughed the hardest in fact :lol:) and after that he got ambushed outside theatre for almost hour by adoring viewers. I went to speak with him and editor after most of the masses had disappeared so it was only me, my friend (not Oz) ando ne other guy so it was really nice privateish little chat.

As for editor, he happend to be in Helsinki because he's also editor of Pirjo Honkasalo's first fiction film in ages, Betoniyö/Concrete Night and the film premiered at HIFF during the same day (in fact only reason I didn't get to see film then was screening overlap with Act of Killing screening I had bought tickets for).

Anyway, Betoniyö - going by reviews and footage I've seen- seems godly as expected from Honkasalo so I might be even more hype for it than Gravity. The problem is it only had short stint in my hometown and I missed it because of being too busy with my uni studies so I probably have to wait for DVD/BD release. :(

View Original PostOz wrote:We also went to see The Grandmaster, too. But what the fuck is Betonimylly? :lol:

Fix'd already :tongue:
Last edited by Xard on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:57 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Fuse you best be trollin'. OGF wasn't even entertainingly bad. It was just bad. N.W. Refn = hack of the forever.

I realize this might be bait, but I'll bite. OGF is on my top 20 movies of all time. I fell in love with it instantly. It was one of those movies that at the end, I thought to myself 'Ten, fifteen, probably even twenty years from now, I will still be able to rewatch it.'

Did you hate it because you didn't get anything out of it? You at least understand the symbolism behind everything right? Or is that why you disliked it, because you labelled it as being pretentious?
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:05 pm

I don't make Top 10 lists because mine changes too often. I'll write one, then disagree with it in about a month.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:24 pm

I don't think I even saw 10 new movies this year. But I liked The Grandmaster and Gravity.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:14 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Oppenheimer was quest at Helsinki International Film Festival in which I saw the film. He held before and after screening Q&A's (yes, it's okay to laugh at it, people in Indonesia laughed the hardest in fact :lol:) and after that he got ambushed outside theatre for almost hour by adoring viewers. I went to speak with him and editor after most of the masses had disappeared so it was only me, my friend (not Oz) ando ne other guy so it was really nice privateish little chat.

Shit, I really need to start planning stuff like this. I live an hour away from New York, so I don't even have an excuse. I just... don't really get out, ever.

@Fuse: Yeah I got the symbolism that Refn was going for, it just isn't even remotely as profound as he seems to think it is. Refn is a director who makes 2edgy4u exploitation flicks masquerading as arthouse dramas, which I usually don't mind because the stylistic window dressing is top-notch, but OGF, unlike Drive, committed the mortal sin of being not only trite and pretentious but boring as hell. The visual richness carries it for all of maybe 15 minutes before it turns into a monotony of aesthetic and thematic overkill drawn out to literal slow-motion and populated by a cast of hilariously affectless man-robots and crude misogynist caricatures. If it were more energetic it might have been an entertaining clusterfuck, but as is it's just not fun to watch, and it sure as hell doesn't have any kind of valid intellectual payoff for being a tedious chore to watch.

With all that said I didn't hate it, but I did think it was a massive pile of mediocrity that just so happened to look very pretty.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:54 am

Frances Ha was shot & had it's festival premiere in 2012 but played absolutely nowhere until mid-2013. Since I saw it for the first time in theaters in 2013 that puts it on my list as a 2013 release.

Anywho - 2013 was a fantastic year for cinema. Anyone who tries to say otherwise clearly is not a cinema buff who goes to the theaters often.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:49 am

I honestly can't name as many as 10 films that I REALLY liked that I saw in theaters, so I'll just do this:

Best Highbrow Film:
The Wolf of Wall Street

Runner Up:
Gravity

Best "Popcorn" Film:
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Runner Up:
Iron Man 3

Unexpected Gem of the Year:
Spring Breakers

Worst Film of the Year:
R.I.P.D.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:52 am

Iron Man 3 was the most highbrow film of the year.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:33 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Number 1 Untintentionally Hilarious Film of the Year:
Spring Breakers

Fixed.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:34 am

Iron Man 3 made me really wish they'd just never even bothered making any sequels to the first one.

Also, I dunno if I'd consider Gravity "highbrow". However you make that distinction. Not any morseo than, say, Castaway anyhow.

I honestly would like to know what people enjoyed about The Wolf of Wall Street. For me it was just a few decent scenes punctuated by hours of mind-numbing repetition. The film literally could've been half as long and lost nothing of substance. Hell, by the end of the film I'd learned nothing about the characters or narrative that I couldn't have inferred from watching the trailers.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:28 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Spring Breakers

Spring breeeaaakkkk.....spring breaaaak......

spring break?

Spring break!

spriiiing BREAAAAAK

Break spring....

spring break..... spring break....

spriiiiiiing breaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak

Honestly, the worst 2013 I've seen easily but I can't say I hated the experience all in all. It was too intentionally and unintentionally ridiculous for that.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:19 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Honestly, the worst 2013 I've seen easily but I can't say I hated the experience all in all. It was too intentionally and unintentionally ridiculous for that.

I think one of the Red Letter Media guys said it best. Something along the lines of: "It may not be a 'great' film, but you really can't take your eyes off of it. It's very colorful and very watchable."
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:57 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Honestly, I don't think I've even seen 10 new films this year.
Just nothing that really interesting to me.
but my top movie this year was Pacific Rim

Same here, I absolutely loved Pacific Rim.

I was also quite fond of the new Superman movie and Anchorman 2 as well.
Set phasers to thrill.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:07 pm

View Original PostChainsaw Owl wrote:I was also quite fond of the new Superman movie.

Really now? I stayed as far away from this one as possible because I
heard from (both reviewers and fans) that it sucked.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Yeah Man of Steel looked terrible and I've heard only bad things about it.

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 pm

Really? I can see where some people might have taken offense with it. I mean, they took away Superman's heroic red underwear for no good reason...

And it's true, most of the characters are fairly flat. But I thought Michael Shannon played an impeccable General Zod, and the final battle was a real treat to watch.

Admitedly, I was never a huge Christopher Reeves fan, so the bar was perhaps a little low for me. -o-;
Last edited by Chainsaw Owl on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Set phasers to thrill.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Man of Steel is actually a metaphor for the process of making a movie about Superman. The creators must constantly struggle with the fear that the audience will misunderstand and reject it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:00 pm

I don't trust Zack Snyder to make a movie with any kind of metaphor in it more subtle than "sword = dick".

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:35 am

Not my top ten, but rather the films I quite enjoyed seeing last year:

The Counselor - loved how the violence was handled in this, and the particularly hilarious and disgusting scene (you know the one). Like a suckerfish.
The Turning - Incredible collection of Australian short films based off the collection of short stories by author Tom Winton.
Prisoners - Fantastic, edge of the seat slow thriller. Very well made.
Gravity - With the exception of a few scenes this film is amazing and captivating.
The Worlds End - Hilarious conclusion to the cornetto trilogy.
The Wolverine - So freaking cool, the Wolverine movie we'd been waiting for.
The Great Gatsby - I really liked how this was done, Baz Luhrmann's over the top style really works for this film. Also I thought the 3D was used to excellent effect in the film.
Fast & Furious 6 - Big dumb stupid but entertaining action.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Ditto.
Oblivion - I really love Tron: Legacy and Joseph Kosinski did a great job on this film.
Trance - Danny Boyle not doing an uplifting happy ending film, I'm in.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:15 am

I was wondering when someone was going to mention The Counselor. I hated it, but I hated it in unique and interesting ways that I'd be curious to go back and think about some more. It was the kind of disaster that can only be produced by a number of really smart and talented people committing totally to an astoundingly misguided vision.

Return to “Film and Video”