[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:10 pm

View Original PostMJL wrote:There's quite a lot of piano stuff on his new album Nightmare Ending. The second to last song, Strange Arrivals, is a nice combination of his different styles (and, I would guess, heavily inspired by Tim Hecker, which is never a bad thing).
Guess I overlooked it, thanks man. I'm always down for contemporary piano.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:17 am

Have a concert of Mozart:

http://cassland.org/Mozart.html

Missa Brevis in F, K192, 'Little Credo Mass'
Epistle Sonata, K145
Round 'Ave Maria', K544
Church Sonata, K336
Solemn Vespers for a Confessor, K339 (includes the famous 'Laudate Dominum')
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:37 am

View Original PostMJL wrote:There's quite a lot of piano stuff on his new album Nightmare Ending. The second to last song, Strange Arrivals, is a nice combination of his different styles (and, I would guess, heavily inspired by Tim Hecker, which is never a bad thing).

Listened to this out of sheer randomness, and now..I think this guy has become my new hero. Probably the first time I've really seriously enjoyed ambient music.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:05 am

Yo, MJL, Aza; finally getting around to checking out some more Prurient stuff but finding it hard to source files/downloads for some records, i.e. Fossil, Rose Pillar, Pleasure Grounds, et cetera - Would either of you be able to PM me links if possible?

As it is, I've only gotten Bermuda Drain, Time's Arrow and Through The Window at the moment.

Also anyone who enjoys decent fuzz-pop/shoegaze stuff should scope Trementina from Chile (Name translates to turpentine, I believe):
https://soundcloud.com/trementinachile/makes-me-think

Was playing over the speakers in Vinyl Junkie, Shimo-Kitazawa and was really digging it. Asked the owner, who was hyping them like crazy, as he's just released their EP in Japan (or what he called a mini-album).
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

MJL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJL » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:50 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Yo, MJL, Aza; finally getting around to checking out some more Prurient stuff but finding it hard to source files/downloads for some records, i.e. Fossil, Rose Pillar, Pleasure Grounds, et cetera - Would either of you be able to PM me links if possible?

I'll upload some stuff and give you the links later today.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:34 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Yo, MJL, Aza; finally getting around to checking out some more Prurient stuff but finding it hard to source files/downloads for some records, i.e. Fossil, Rose Pillar, Pleasure Grounds, et cetera - Would either of you be able to PM me links if possible?

Alternatively, you can just torrent it. That's how I get most of my music.

I'm listening to a lot of stuff by the indie band Stars at the moment. My favourite songs by them are:

Dead Hearts

In Our Bedroom After the War

They also did an awesome cover of 'Asleep' by The Smiths:

Asleep

And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:32 pm

View Original PostMJL wrote:I'll upload some stuff and give you the links later today.

Thanks buddy, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

:thumbsup:

I'm really digging the mid-section of Bermuda Drain currently; 'Palm Tree Corpse', 'There Are Still Secrets', 'Let's Make A Slave' and the spoken word type opener 'Many Jewels Surround The Crown'. Surprisingly addictive and infectious, although I'm feeling a little trepid in going back retrospectively through Fernow's discography, as even this record gets a little extreme for me at times and it is supposed to be one of the most "accessible".

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Alternatively, you can just torrent it. That's how I get most of my music.

Nah, weren't even any decent torrents, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.
Warren Peace, #643919

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:50 am

You guys should check out the band Goblin if you've not done so already; They're amazing

i just saw them live... definitely something worth experiencing at least once

Aquaman

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:31 am

I've revisited Prurient's Bermuda Brain many times over the past couples days - It's incredible - The dark, lush and cascading synths manage to draw the listener in whilst creating a general feeling of unease that is actually addictive yet hard to place a finger upon. Tracks have parts that are disconcerting, yet intrigue you enough to return as soon as done listening through. Really wish more of Fernow's stuff was like this, as I'm too much of a wimp for his pure noise work. Far too much for me to handle.

:um:

Time's Arrow does dabble in the same area for a bit with the first song but quickly goes into the trademark chaos for the rest, with one cut being a non-stop nail-biting screech for the duration. And Through The Window really just doesn't do anything for me either for a more techno/electronic orientated album.

I'll continue to dig at more of his ridiculously large and prolific discography to find the stuff that interests me anyway. MJL mentioned that some of the EPs and minis may be more to my liking. May even scope out Vatican Shadow (electronic) and Ash Pool (black metal) projects too.

Also, I'm getting more and more excited for Nothing's forthcoming debut album set to drop on Relapse early next year. Pretty sure it's going to be the best thing ever. There're some decent videos on YT of new material; 'Bent Nail' and 'Hymn To The Pillory'.

Nothing play a sort of 90s influenced alternative/grunge-ish sound with shoegazing sensibilities, guitar tones that will make your mouth water:
http://wearenothing.bandcamp.com/track/dig

New post: Greatest album of all-time?

SPOILER: Show
Warren Peace, #643919

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:32 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:

New post: Greatest album of all-time?

Not even the greatest album of the 90s :tongue:

[URL=http://s842.photobucket.com/user/icannotredo/media/Pinkerton_cover_zps5240de02.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
(I probably sound like every other person on the internet, but whatevs)

Speaking of the 90s, if any of y'all ever liked Pavement, Stephen Malkmus has a new song Lariat, which I've been listening to pretty much nonstop for a week or so. His new records coming out soon I guess.

Also, here are my favorite songs of 2013, left here for posterity's sake. I wasn't crazy about any one record in particular, but I have high hopes for 2014. The Hold Steady and Fucked Up should be coming out with new records and a few other bands I dig are due for new material.

The Flower Lane by Ducktails
Magic of Love by Perfume
The Mother We Share by CHVRCHES (Their album was sooooo hit or miss, but it was a debut so whatevs).
Doin it Right by Daft Punk & Panda Bear(Only song I liked off the new Daft Punk record. Panda Bear is my boy.)
Pensacola by Deerhunter

My favorite record that I bought this year would probably be the soundtrack to 2001: A Space Odyssey and my most played song of the year is probably Home by LCD Soundsystem

Now, bring on 2014...pleaseeee.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:18 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:You guys should check out the band Goblin if you've not done so already; They're amazing

If you're talking about the progressive rock band that scored Dario Argento's Suspiria, then yes, they are amazing.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:32 pm

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:If you're talking about the progressive rock band that scored Dario Argento's Suspiria, then yes, they are amazing.

Speaking of which, they played they main theme to said movie live in concert. 'Twas magnificizzle

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:45 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Not even the greatest album of the 90s.

:tongue:

Don't be talking trash on SDRE now - I won't have it.

:stubborn:

Heh, but in all seriousness; talking best of 90s would venture more into MBV or Radiohead territory, of course. And having mentioned a 2013 list, that brings us to the inevitable tangent...

Blue's top albums of 2013:

10. Oathbreaker - Eros|Anteros

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Oathbreaker are amazing and are another band that's hard to believe I've slept on for so long (considering they're on the Deathwish Inc roster), nor am I usually partial to female vocalists in metal/hardcore acts - But it works here.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Really I'm surprised how dynamic their new album, Eros|Anteros, is - The vocalist's raspy, abrasive shouting contrasts with her singing on some of the more interlude-type tracks, creating more of a diverse spectrum their first LP doesn't really possess. The whole record just has that really nice flow of a story as opposed to just being a collection of individual blasts of aural shrapnel.

'As I Look Into The Abyss' and 'Condor Tongue' are probably my favourites so far.

9. Touché Amoré - Is Survived By

When it was announced that Touché Amoré were putting out their third album via Deathwish earlier this year, I really wasn't expecting their best release of material to date. Is Survived By is an exact sound amalgam of the previous two records; the raw, emotional grittiness of TTBOADH mixed with the perfect production values and frenetic energy of PTSBBAAM. Stand out tracks include 'Social Caterpillar', 'Anyone / Anything', 'DNA' and 'Kerosene', the former two of which could be lifted straight out of the pages of TTBOADH, epitomising my favourite sounds of the band.

Hands down TA's most realised and accomplished sounding full-length yet.

8. Russian Circles - Memorial

What's to say about the new Russian Circles? It's Russian Circles. Guaranteed to pretty much be great music. I do really like the sequencing/layout on this one though - Kind of like they divided up all the "heavy" and "pretty" tracks. Songs don't progress as per the usual post-rock/progressive rock structures, shunning that to instead explore the sounds and rhythms established, still building up to huge climaxes.

7. Iceage - You're Nothing

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Serious Joy Division vibes with heavy emphasis on the punk aspect and a vocalist that sounds like Robert Smith.

Yes please, three bags full, sir.

6. Nails - Abandon All Life

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:All about 'God's Cold Hands' and 'Wide Open Wound'.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I'm not usually into that grind sound but their song writing is rather dynamic, more based in the hardcore punk side of things.

5. [s]Atoms For Peace[/s] Thom Yorke - Amok

Even though I listened the shit out of Amok it is still a surprise listing for me, considering its understated and insular tendencies, also the fact that I enjoy The Eraser a lot more.

I went through a really difficult few months early in the year - 'Ingénue' was part of the soundtrack. 'Before Your Very Eyes' is a beautiful song too.

:nyao:

4. Modern Life Is War - Fever Hunting

MLIW, along with Verse, are back together and making new music. All's right with the world. I could try and describe how awesome this album is but someone else has already taken those words out of my mouth long ago: http://halifaxcollect.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/modern-life-is-war-fever-hunting.html

"Scrape, crawl
Scrape, crawl
Scrape, crawl"

3. NIИ - Hesitation Marks

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Hesitation Marks is amazing...

I haven't listened to the standard release as a whole but I've compared the prior file I have of 'Came Back Haunted', and there's so much more going on in the audiophile cut - A whole bunch of really minor/subtle sample and chimes I couldn't make out before, a ton of sexy low end bass synth and all with hardly any discernible loss to volume/loudness. The mids still have their bite which is most important in my books.

The music itself is brilliant: 'Copy of A' and 'Various Methods of Escape' are probably my initial favourites. 'Everything' is also a stand-out, a near perfect homage of that token New Order sound (minus Peter Hook's driving bass lines). The album does kind of taper off in the last half but I dig that. Especially seeing how lyrically/thematically heavy it gets with 'In Two' and 'While I'm Still Here'.

It's not TDS but this album is superbly understated while having a lot to explore. Plenty of replay value and a definite contender for my AOTY list.

2. My Bloody Valentine - m b v

I'll just use Bomby's words, if he doesn't mind:

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:NEW %&*&(#$@$%^*$ MY BLOODY VALENTINE ALBUM HOLYSHIT!

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:That. Happened.

Seriously. No disappointment at all. This is an amazing album.

Now excuse me while I let my ears rest so I can get my hearing back.

I couldn't so much as find the words at the time:

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote::fap:

1. Deafheaven - Sunbather

-I'M DYING
--IS IT BLISSFUL?
-IT'S LIKE A DREAM
--I WANT TO DREAM

Great year in music, and I thought it would be hard to top 2012, which had new Verse, Converge, Swans and the awesome Cloud Nothings records, just to name a few. Granted, list is going to change moving forward as there's still a bunch of releases I'm yet to even getting around to checking out.

Others I've really enjoyed: Defeater LP, Flowermouth CD EP, Incendiary LP, The Saddest Landscape 12" EP, anything new from Anne and the Title Fight 7" on Rev that just dropped last month. Loved the new Self Defense album but it is not officially out until January, even though I've had the record/files for almost two/three weeks now.

I'm also really looking forward to 2014. Some artists/acts who have things coming real soon to look forward to include: Nothing, Pianos Become The Teeth, New Lows, Iron Mind, Palm, Death Of Lovers, Foundation, et cetera.

:headbang:

Party on, Wayne.
Warren Peace, #643919

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:07 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:New post: Greatest album of all-time?

Funny, I was just stopping in here to comment that I'd discovered this during my absence. Truly one of the great overlooked albums of the '90s. Seriously, how do you beat starting an album with "Seven", "In Circles" and "Song About an Angel"?
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:31 am

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Magic of Love by Perfume

Do I spy a closet Perfume fan? I thought Bomby, Xard and I were the only people who have ever cared about the trio here.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:08 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Seriously, how do you beat starting an album with "Seven", "In Circles" and "Song About an Angel"?

I know, right? There's not a single wasted moment on Diary - Start to finish brilliance. I'd always thought the album was good but I got hold of an OG pressing in Japan last month, and just sitting down and listening to it, really sunk in how awesome a record it truly is.

There are a bunch of other 90s "second wave" punk bands you should check out too if you don't already listen to 'em: Mineral, Braid (circa 1997-1999 is my favourite), The Get Up Kids, Texas Is The Reason and The Promise Ring.

Also, post your favourite releases of 2013, EGF! Curious to see picks but I know there'll probably be some Daft Punk, Kanye West, so on, so forth.

Edit: Ah forgot to give the Violent Soho album an honourable mention in my list!
Warren Peace, #643919

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:49 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Do I spy a closet Perfume fan? I thought Bomby, Xard and I were the only people who have ever cared about the trio here.

Yea, I'm pretty new to them though... the only reason I even know they exist is because I saw the video for Magic of Love during an episode of J-Melo :bigeyes: that I was watching only because I couldn't sleep(it used to come on at 2:30am here on Sunday nights). I've only listened to Level3 but I really dig it, very poppy and electronic and cute. I'll probably get more into them soon, it's just that sometimes I feel too daunted listening to a new group that has already come out with a lot of material.

@Blue Monday, Sorry for my weak crack on SDRE and nice work on the year end list. Probably going to bite off your style. :bigeyes:
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:00 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:
Also, post your favourite releases of 2013, EGF! Curious to see picks but I know there'll probably be some Daft Punk, Kanye West, so on, so forth.

Umm..

Deafhaven- Sunbather
Eluvium- Nightmare Ending
My Bloody Valentine- m b v
Mogwai- Les Revenants
Sigur Ros- Kveikur
Fall Out Boy- Save Rock and Roll
Celtic Thunger- Mythology
Our Last Night- Oak Island
The Fray- Love Don't Die

I've also listening to a lot of alternative stuff by Death Cab for Cutie and Stars recently, and I'm starting to get into The Smiths as well.
Last edited by Shinoyami65 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And I'm nothing like you

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:26 pm

I don't think I've bought a new release in years, the closest thing was maybe in 2010 when they re-re-released Brubeck's Time Out on vinyl again. But a friend did bring this by as a gift earlier today:

which is a fun album, probably has most of everything that I'd want to listen to from Blondie.

-----------
EDIT: And another new arrival:

That album's got a song by Rollins called "No Moe"

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:51 pm

My Top 5 of 2013:

Jesu- Every Day I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came
Antediluvian- λόγος
The Wonder Years- The Greatest Generation
Machetazo- Ruin
Death in June- The Snow Bunker Tapes
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”