Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Went to go see Ender's Game. I loved the books, including the character spinoffs that Card wrote in his career. I was expecting something amazing when I walked into the theater.

The film was a steaming pile of shit.

It managed to keep the most basic elements of the plot while throwing everything else out the window for suckier versions of the original. I don't think two minutes ever went by without me seeing something that had been adapted incorrectly or just didn't make sense. Putting the adaptation facts aside, the movie still doesn't make much sense. It's far too fast-paced, and it doesn't bother to explain things on more than just a few occasions.

The movie of Ender's Game was crap. 2/10

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:58 pm

^ i sincerely hope you didn't pay to see that movie, Nuke.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:41 pm

Sadly, I did pay to see it. I was expecting something awesome, but it wasn't what I got. It's kinda like a WonderBra or a bag of Lay's.

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:50 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Sadly, I did pay to see it. I was expecting something awesome, but it wasn't what I got. It's kinda like a WonderBra or a bag of Lay's.

:lol: Wonderbras: nothing wondrous about them

Well, as long as you didn't enjoy the movie, i suppose you can be forgiven for supporting anything related to Orson Scott Card. seriously, fuck that guy

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:53 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:i suppose you can be forgiven for supporting anything related to Orson Scott Card.

Actually, I loved the crap out of all of his books. Bought all of 'em too. There are many things that I have reservations about, but buying the books was not one of them. I'm able to separate his homophobic behavior from his literature. (If this was Hitler, then I would be thinking twice about it.) It also helps that I met the guy and had a one-on-one chat with him for half an hour.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Watched Being John Malkovich on Thanksgiving.

Hilarious.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy

It's actually pretty decent. There isn't really much to offer for people who've already seen the original, but stepping back and taking a less personal view of it, it's still a solid film, and people who haven't seen the original will probably enjoy it.

But they should still see the original.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:I just saw John Frankenheimer's Seconds.

Goddammit chee, I want to see Seconds.

Next time invite me.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:00 pm

I saw Gravity a few days ago...

For the first time ever, the 3D didn't give me a massive headache. I still don't think it really added anything though, and I actually found it kind of distracting. I think I would've enjoyed it more in 2D but still...

... it was an absolutely spectacular movie! Aesthetically it was incredible, with the roving long takes and such, and I found myself really caring for the characters. I really need to see more from Cuaron. This and Children of Men are all I've seen so far.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:58 pm

While Meet the Fockers is and always will be my favorite of the whole Focker trilogy, i get a little peeved with how much of a douche nozzle Greg comes across as every time he tries to convince his sex crazed parents to simmer down in an effort to impress Psycho Jack.

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Akira

i remember putting off watching it for the longest time because i wasn't fond of the animation style used for the characters... little did i know...

Anyways, it was a damn good film, but i much prefer the graphic novel since there is a lot of story that didn't make the cut to the silver screen. The animation was very impressive for its time though.

Dr. Talos
Adam

Postby Dr. Talos » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Didn't plan to but saw Akira on Toonami last night. Totally worth staying up till 3:00am for. Second time seeing it and first time watching the dub which wasn't too grating. The film holds up as well as I remember and is visually gorgeous. I really have to get around to reading the manga one of these days.

Saw Catching Fire today. It was better than I expected and I found myself rather enjoying it. It's a far more solid film than the first entry in the series and the doubling of the budget really shows. Now I'm wondering how they are going to manage Mockingjay as if I recall correctly 80% of the book was Katniss wading around hopped up on morphine and hiding in closets suffering from PTSD.

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:32 pm

National Lampoon's Animal House

i forgot how much i enjoyed this movie. And John Belushi. He was a great physical comic. (Dammit why couldn't have the lesser Belushi died?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :wife: )

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Lars and the Real Girl - 9/10

This might top Drive as my favorite Ryan Gosling movie. So many people make jokes about him being autistic or socially-inept, and he cranks the awkardness up to 11 in this movie.

If you haven't heard of it, Gosling plays Lars, a reclusive and awkward man who lives in his brother's garage, who, after falling in love with a life-size 'love doll', gradually begins to come out of his shell. I don't wanna write out the whole synopsis but there's more to the story than just that. Often funny, with many cringe-inducing moments, but some serious heartfelt scenes as well.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see an unconventional love story.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Pacific Rim - I hadn't seen it since the theaters so on my second go ahead, it held up awesomely but maybe not as awesome as i remembered it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie if you're into robots punching the crap out of monsters but if you're looking for something deep on the emotional level, you won't find it here. Plus the special effects didn't hold up well and were for the sake of having special effects. On the plus side, the scene with young Mako hiding from a Kaiju nearly had me in tears because of how authentic she pulled off her fear.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:46 am

Fight club
Man, loved those final 30 minutes of the film. O__o
Didn't expect that Tyler (Brad Pitt) would be something like that.

9/10

EDIT: Next film I'm going to watch: A Clockwork Orange.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Fudoh: The New Generation - Well that was overall exceptionally weird but then again, it's a Takashi Miike movie so i shouldn't be so suprised. Teens taking on the underworld with interestingly strange gadgets like the hermaphrodite girl's vagina dart gun which once shot off during her period was an experience i don't think i could accurately convey into words. Speaking of which, is it weird that i got a hummer from her sex scene with the female teacher? :huh: Also, what is it with bullies in Japan having a thing for shoving dildos up male victims' asses?! Visitor Q had one such similar situation except it was a microphone.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Putting aside the ridiculous romantic subplot and the needlessly long climax, it is a pretty good film. But, Jackson, you don't end a film with such a nasty cliffhanger.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:43 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Putting aside the ridiculous romantic subplot and the needlessly long climax, it is a pretty good film. But, Jackson, you don't end a film with such a nasty cliffhanger.

What about The Empire Strikes Back? :lol:

i saw the first one last year, hoping to do the same before xmas time

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:17 pm

The Empire Strikes Back wrapped up things nicely even if the story was still in motion. Desolation of Smaug's cliffhanger is a huge tease.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Return to “Film and Video”