Biggest WTF?! Moment in the Show

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:19 pm

For me two things stand out, but first, some background. I watched like the first 2 episodes of Evangelion with a Friend when I like 13, and that's when I got to know the series proper. But I'd actually seen EoE before that, so when I was younger, some stuff stood out, other stuff, less so.

Shinji getting his jollies off, didn't care, partly cause i didn't understand what was happening at the time, partly cause the contrast on my television didn't highlight the white against his hand, so I was just like "His hand, big whoop."

What I did understand, army of creepy red eyed girls making people physically explode!

I don't know about the rest of you, but the actual implementation of Instrumentality, with everyone seeing different things, seemingly going mad and being reduced to liquid as they're embraced by this wave of smiling soulless creatures disturbed the heck right out of me when I was younger.

When I actually went and watched the series, Eva-01 escapes Leliel. I thought it was awesome, but at the same time, that shit is scary.
Avatar: MAKE WAY FOR THE HOMO SUPERIOR!

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

Nuke-kun: I know not of this "civil conversation" bullshit you speak of.

Tian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tian » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Lance of LoL wrote:Shinji getting his jollies off, didn't care, partly cause i didn't understand what was happening at the time, partly cause the contrast on my television didn't highlight the white against his hand, so I was just like "His hand, big whoop."

haha yeah I watched EoE on a shitty VHS and had the same reaction. I could barely even tell it was a shot of his hand, that's how bad the picture was.

moongyu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby moongyu » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Basically, my first time watching the entirety of End of Evangelion. No probs now but man, the first time was me staring blankly at the screen. Also, I didn't see what was on Shinji's hand due to crappy screen.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Rei I getting strangled.

Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:37 pm

For me two of three moment standout as truly wtf.

First would be Ritsuko destroying the Rei clones. The whole scene was all sorts of disturbing from the vacantly smiling clones to Ritsuko's total breakdown.

Second would be Unit 1 going berserk and consuming Zeruel. The animistic way it moved, the disconcerting heaving and roaring and everyone's horrified reactions made for a pretty disturbing scene.

Finally would be End of Eva. Everything from Shinji's fappy times with comatose Asuka to the end of the world and GNR to Shinji crying bitter tears on the shore of a blood red ocean made for a magnificently disconcerting masterpiece.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Gendo getting chomped in half by the scary looking Eva-01. Everything about that scene. There's Gendo finally seeing Yui again and his last words to Shinji, both of which were a long time coming. There's that bright red background, and then there's Gendo's leg which are still (somehow) standing up. It really is a great scene.

Honorable Mention: When Zero got pregnant, then turned into GNR.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Probably the scene in episode 5, when Shinji is in Unit-01 while they do SCIENCE, and he sees Rei and Gendo. And Rei is excitedly skipping and doing flirtatious girly things while she smiles and giggles. It's the sort of thing you would see when Asuka talks to Kaji.
Last edited by Lavinius on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

bigtotoro
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bigtotoro » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 am

You know, by the end of the original series I expected "WTF moments" from Eva. The true WTF moment for me was at the beginning of the series, during the first angel attack. When Unit 01 quickly went from near destruction to a savage (and apparently pilotless) victory, I remember being truly shocked - only because I hadn't seen anything like it before in an anime. I think prior to that I had assumed Eva was more mechanical than human. But after that I had to know what the nature of Eva was. And it completely hooked me.
...and Catbus too!!!

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:52 am

Mine was Rei's permeable body in EoE, turns into GNR and rising to the stratosphere and later on into space. That whole sequence of WTFs.

Also, finding out that Rei likes garlic ramen with no cha-siu pork.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:40 am

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:
Also, finding out that Rei likes garlic ramen with no cha-siu pork.

Was it because of the garlic ramen itself, or the sheer glee/speed/exprtession with which she slurps it down?

Rei's arm just falling off with neither her nor Gendo actually reacting is also no especially yummy sight...

But what did it for me was everything about Rei IIIs first scenes. Her non-reaction to Shinji, her mysterious comments, her completely intact body beneath the bandages, the empty stare with which she grabbed and squeezed the glasses, just the obvious feelings of... wrongness.
"Oh, dear show, now please tell me, can I stop worrying about my Rei or can'tI? Don't gimme such a painfulb hope spot for it to turn out something uber creepy..."

There's also Ritsuko's true self. She was being helpful and generally doing everyday things with everybody artound her, and it turns ous she was a jellytastic Yandere monster all along. Also, putting things in your mouth that have been in your mom's vagina, such as Gendo'd dick.

The little Rei heads on Shinji's arms (larger ones coming out of the mouths of the smaller ones...) was also... quite mindbreaking, you're thinking, what does that implicate and entail, are there... tiny rudimentary organs in those? What was it like when they cut it off *shudders*
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:49 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Also, putting things in your mouth that have been in your mom's vagina, such as Gendo'd dick.

To be fair, none can resist the sex god incarnate that is Gendo. There is a reason he is known as Teh Uber-Pimp after all. He's like a classier version of Fernando the Manwhore.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:43 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:To be fair, none can resist the sex god incarnate that is Gendo. There is a reason he is known as Teh Uber-Pimp after all. He's like a classier version of Fernando the Manwhore.

I'd totally do him, Yui obsession and all.

There's something awfully, tragically hot about the fact that you can never fully have him, even if you get your love joices all over him.

Clever genderflip and reinvention of an archetype that I don't think there's been much male versions of (and he still looks enough like a classic bastard male for Ritsuko to mistake him for one), much like Q!Misato.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Was it because of the garlic ramen itself, or the sheer glee/speed/exprtession with which she slurps it down?

It was the garlic. Since she preferred things to be plain or just considered things irrelevant most of the time, the garlic was a pleasant WTF surprise to me because it was revealing that she has preferences. Things she likes to eat has depth - it's not just that she likes ramen, she likes GARLIC ramen, a specific kind of flavor.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:But what did it for me was everything about Rei IIIs first scenes. Her non-reaction to Shinji, her mysterious comments, her completely intact body beneath the bandages, the empty stare with which she grabbed and squeezed the glasses, just the obvious feelings of... wrongness.

I actually got pretty sad from that scene, but not a WTF moment for me. That scene reminded me starkly that regardless of what residual feelings she had, her memories were gone, or at least mere echos. And those memories are part and parcel of who she was and experienced. Feelings alone can't replace that.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:32 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Rei's arm just falling off with neither her nor Gendo actually reacting is also no especially yummy sight...

I can't believe i forgot to add both this and the tiny Rei heads growing out of Shinji's hands in ep. 23. I never thought that Nerv would have needed to cut them away though, just assumed that they went away once the angel died.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 pm

View Original PostLance of LoL wrote:Shinji getting his jollies off.

That was the biggest WTF for me too

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:06 pm

I don't think anybody's cited this in a while.
I regret nothing  SPOILER: Show

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:29 pm

GNR's forehead vagina. Which absorbs EVA-01's encased in a "tree". And then grows a giant eye in the middle of said giant forehead vagina.

Just... What The Fuck!

Actually, every moments of GNR is a giant WTF moment!
Last edited by ElMariachi on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Gives "skullfucking" a whole new meaning, right? ;)

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:30 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Gives "skullfucking" a whole new meaning, right? ;)

Indeed it does..

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:26 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Gives "skullfucking" a whole new meaning, right? ;)

Yes, yes it does! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”