[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:56 pm

Saw Gorguts live last night. Absolutely flawless performance; they even played Orphans of Sickness

:woohoo:

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 am

upcoming Arcade Fire album now has a name
and that name is Reflektor

For the first time in a while, I am actually hyped about something
Voluntary Illusion.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:32 pm

I'd been wanting some strong feminine vibes so i decided to listen to Evanescence today. Man....I just love Amy Lee's voice. Haven't listened to the band in months and it's so refreshing. I'll probably be repeating this playlist for a couple days :headbang:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:14 am

Listened to all of Random Access Memories twice in the past couple of days. It's definitely an album which gets better tne more you listen to it.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:15 pm

The past week's rotation:

SPOILER: Show

Oathbreaker are amazing and are another band that's hard to believe I've slept on for so long (considering they're on the Deathwish Inc roster), nor am I usually partial to female vocalists in metal/hardcore acts - But it works here.

Can't yet tear myself away from Hesitation Marks; goes down too smoothly - And user Madonna's incessant worship has made me turn to some of my favourite Bowie records, haha.

Palm gig only three weeks away now as well...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:04 am

Previously on In Utero  SPOILER: Show

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:@In Utero re-release
[s]Just as planned[/s] I'll wait to see the track listing before I say maybe or no to this, though as I already have the boxed set I anticipate that a fair few tracks on the re-release will have been lifted from there. Still a great album, of course, just not sure if I want another copy of it so soon

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Okay so something interesting about In Utero vinyl that I was actually formerly unaware of; the two OG pressings (US and UK) are supposedly both cut from a different set of master tapes with a significantly (un)altered mix of the album - The big differences being with the "radio-friendlies" 'Heart-Shaped Box', 'All Apologies', etcetera.

It's never been confirmed but these versions are widely accepted as the "Albini mix" of the album.

You got the right of it. I can't even comprehend how they'd get 70 tracks worth of extra content, original/alternate mixes considered. Maybe there's even more (read: shit ton) unreleased music than commonly thought, and With The Lights Out was only the tip of the iceberg.

Like you said, will have to scope the track listing to see if this warrants a purchase for anyone who already owns the album regardless of format; CeeDee, digitale, bynilz.

The full track listing for the upcoming In Utero Super Deluxe Box set can be found on the album's Wiki article.

Overview:
- In addition to the 'remastered' original album (see the Nevermind reissue), Disc One will also contain 'Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through the Strip' (that appeared on some UK and Australian pressings), as well as 'Marigold', 'Moist Vagina', 'Sappy', 'I Hate Myself and Want to Die' which are from the With the Lights Out boxed set. New additions are a 'Litt mix' of Pennyroyal Tea and the original Albini mixes of 'Heart-Shaped Box' and 'All Apologies'
- Although the original tracks are not explicitly labelled as remastered, the reissue paragraph mentions both remastered and remixed tracks. I would wager that, as with the Nevermind reissue, the original mix could be a new victim of the loudness war.
- Disc Two contains the '2013 mix' of the original album (I don't know how it is different), as well as demos and rehearsals from before the album was recorded - among which are two possibly- unheard of rehearsal tracks: 'Forgotten Tune' and 'Jam'. It is also worth noting that although songs from these sessions appear on With the Lights Out, the songs here appear to be different songs from the same session - suggesting that these are recordings which were not selected for that boxed set.
- The Super Deluxe Edition also contains a booklet, a poster, a third audio disc and a DVD.
- Disc Three contains seventeen songs from a concert on the 13th of December, 1993 entitled "Live & Loud: Live at Pier 48" from Seattle, WA. It may or may not have appeared in bootleg form before, but this is the first time it has been released.
- The DVD contains the full recording of the aforementioned "Live & Loud" concert, and also contains 'bonus' footage from the "Live & Loud" rehearsals, the 'Heart-Shaped Box' music video, three songs performed at 'Live on Nulle Part Ailleurs' from Paris, France; one song from 'Live on Tunnel' from Rome, Italy; and three songs from Live in Munich, Germany (which was the final concert appearance by the band)

Pre-release Verdict
As the remastering process for the original tracks is not going to be publicly known until release (or leak), it still isn't possible to say whether you'll be buying the same album over again or not. On a similar note, it is also possible that the 'remastering' process is being done the same as the Nevermind reissue in other words, it could become another victim of the loudness wars.
But on the bright side, you're not going to buy this Super Deluxe Box set for another copy of the original album (nor the re-released tracks from With the Lights Out). You're buying it for the previously unreleased rehearsals, demo tracks, and the live recordings.
However as with the Nevermind Super Deluxe Edition, you can expect your wallets to bleed: the amazon.co.uk page for it is set at 82.99 GBP. If I am right in guessing that Blue Monday is about to throw his money at this, even with the amazon currency converter turned off he can expect this to be an import worth 142.46 AU (give or take a few dollars due to currency fluctuations). Our preferred Australian retailer, JB Hi-Fi, is selling the ordinary deluxe edition at $21.99 AU (a few dollars steeper than the import) but is selling the Super Deluxe Edition $174.99AU. It's actually $40 AU cheaper than their current price for their Nevermind super deluxe blah let's move on

All of this in mind, I'd like to offer that although I have found a stronger appreciation for the band in recent years, I don't believe I am going to spend up to one hundred and fifty dollars for a booklet, poster, and some unreleased concert materials. I did, after all, find a bargain on the With the Lights Out set... so it would be nice if the DVD had its own, separate release.

Oh, hold on-
It is - and with the 'bonus material' to boot, all for the steady price of $21.99 AU

FINAL PRE-PURCHASE VERDICT
In Utero 20th Anniversary re-issue - YOU DON'T ALREADY OWN THIS??????
In Utero 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition - you already own In Utero, so go buy With the Lights Out instead
In Utero 20th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition - HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA BLUE MONDAY WILL BE BROKE FOR WEEKS

Nirvana: Live & Loud DVD - An affordable release that, if it has not been mishandled by audio-visual folk, is set to provide a fine recording of a good, if not solid Nirvana concert material from height of the In Utero era. Bonus footage from Paris, Rome, and Munich should seal the deal if the recording is of respectable quality.
Voluntary Illusion.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:22 am

Oh man, no way would I fork out that much for a record, and the "2013 mix" is a joke - Would just be nastily compressed indeed for The Loudness Wars. I could just buy someone's OG copy off of Discogs instead, which I might do when my tax return hits my account later this week.

Otherwise your verdict sums it up perfectly, EF.
Warren Peace, #643919

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:17 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Oathbreaker are amazing and are another band that's hard to believe I've slept on for so long (considering they're on the Deathwish Inc roster), nor am I usually partial to female vocalists in metal/hardcore acts - But it works here.

Gotta thank you for posting this. That band is pretty awesome. Whenever I see a band I've never heard of I usually sample them to broaden my horizons. I will definitely be adding this to my library :D
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Really I'm surprised how dynamic their new album, Eros|Anteros, is - The vocalist's raspy, abrasive shouting contrasts with her singing on some of the more interlude-type tracks, creating more of a diverse spectrum their first LP doesn't really possess. The whole record just has that really nice flow of a story as opposed to just being a collection of individual blasts of aural shrapnel.

'As I Look Into The Abyss' and 'Condor Tongue' are probably my favourites so far.

In other news; Anne are the new Depeche Mode:
http://youtu.be/TL5IxDzAuvM
Warren Peace, #643919

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Geoffrey O'Connor is back to release more sexy pop songs and release album covers with pictures of himself wearing cool shades.
[URL=http://s842.photobucket.com/user/icannotredo/media/526863_10151906376971202_860358109_n_zps68c77acd.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/09/geoffrey_oconno_1.html

He released one of my favorite albums of 2011 named Vanity is Forever(one of my favorite album titles too), and if you're into "guys that play synths" he's definitely worth checking out. Apparently he's coming out with a new album soon, so I'm pretty stoked.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:36 am

Okay, so backpedaling on my previous statement on the In Utero 20th anniversary rerelease; I just found out that Steve the-man-himself Albini was at the helm of the 2013 mix. Hence it definitely will not be brick-walled.

Honestly, It could be really fascinating and sounds like they've created a really interesting mix with a slew of subtle differences, ranging from alternate guitar parts to unused vocal harmonies. Albini even gave some insight during a recent podcast:
http://vishkhanna.com/2013/08/16/ep-24-steve-albini/

Will still snag myself an OG some time soon (as this release is far too fucking rich for my blood), but I will definitely be getting my hands on the digital files of this as well. A glowing review on the 2013 mix here:
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/absolute_nirvana_new_steve_albini_mixes_push_in_utero_anniversary_set

New Pelican leaked too. I haven't given it a deep enough listen through yet but I do like what I'm hearing. It isn't The Fire In Our Throats... But it certainly is better than WWACTN.

'Threnody' is a choice cut.

"Guys that play synths."

Speaking of which, Anne have a new EP out in three weeks:

:tentacles:
Warren Peace, #643919

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:53 pm

This song helps people through their day.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ueT6h6qMtFo

Eric Clapton's Unplugged album is getting a remaster!
Also new unseen rehearsal footage!

Fucking love that guy and the album so much

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Just realized Abandoned Pools came out with a new album last year and a single this summer. I thought they broke up after the second album but just seems like they took an extremely long hiatus. I'm a very happy girl. I shall be analyzing Sublime Currency (2012 album) and the LP Somnambulist tonight. ^_^

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:04 am

Only three more sleeps 'til Palmageddon.

Most stoked!
Warren Peace, #643919

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Here's some organ for y'all.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Last night I went to the Queen Elizabeth Hall for a concert.

First up - Stockhausen's Gesang der Jünglinge. This was one of the first records I had, in 1962 or so (a present from my older brother); last night was the first time I've heard it in the intended surround form in a hall, and it was, as expected, a revelation. (Well, not quite the intended form, as the original tapes were lost, so it can only be played in a reconstituted four-track form, without the original overhead track.)

Then - Stockhausen's Kontakte, in the version with piano and percussion. My son Nic played the piano (and some of the percussion), as he did when I heard it a few years ago in the Albert Hall at a Prom. It's a much longer piece, and I don't think it wears its length very well; I prefer Gesang.

Then we had dinner with my son (we skipped Boulez's Le marteau sans maître - naughty; but there you go).

Anecdote: Before Stockenhausen died, the BBC organised a festival of concerts of his music, and booked my son to play some of the piano pieces. Stockhausen demanded that his wife play them instead - but the BBC stood their ground and said they had a contract with Nic, and so would use him. In the end, they split the pieces between the pianists (and Nic got the more prominent billing - and his full agreed fee), and Stockhausen was actually somewhat complimentary about his performances. Nic's played some of the pieces elsewhere, and I have my own recording of a couple he did at one Cheltenham Festival.

Further anecdote: In 1969 I was working at the BBC, and was operating the tape machines for the rehearsals and performance of Treffpunkt from Stockhausen's Aus den sieben Tagen. Parts of the BBC SO were placed around the BBC's Maida Vale studio, and asked to improvise to the guidance of a text that Stockhausen read to them first. Each group had some microphones, and in between the groups were speakers. Stockhausen sat in the middle with a mixer desk which enabled him to take the miked sound from each part of the orchestra and direct it to any of the speakers, or any combination, to guide or disrupt other groups of performers. Each part of the orchestra had another mixer desk at which an acolyte determined the combination of the microphones that was sent to Stockhausen's mixer. The live broadcast performance took place in darkness, and lasted about 20 minutes (in final rehearsal, it had been 30 minutes, and with more form). I met Stockhausen during these events.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:54 pm

During the Halloween season, I constantly spin my all-time favorite grindcore/death metal album. Not sure if anyone else here appreciates this style of harsh audio, but if you do, I highly reccomend you listen to Impetigo- Horror of the Zombies.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhOZCMm0PE[/url]
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:43 pm

^^^This is an emotional album for me. It speaks to me and my life experiences. My parents were both killed by zombies that broke into my home when I was 7. It's something that still haunts me today; how my parents were taken from me, how I barely escaped... all the blood, all the horror. All the pain.

Gonna relisten anyway though.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:13 am

Palm were ridiculously fucking good last week - Faces were adequately melted. Right up front and almost blew my voice out completely within the first song; Toshi (the vocalist) kept shoving the mic in my face, haha. Neck was also sore the following couple days from indulging in a bit of headbanging.

The other band on the bill was A Secret Death (stylised: asecretdeath) and they definitely had me leaving as a fan. I can recall checking them out when their debut s/t album dropped back in 08 but couldn't get into it at the time. Don't know what was wrong with me, hey - Their blend of metal, progressive, rock and hardcore is really distinct and infectious, all the while maintaining a maturity and dynamic most accessible "core" bands don't have:
http://asecretdeath.bandcamp.com/

Here's some shots from the Palm set anyhow:

SPOILER: Show

Also came away from the merch table with a copy ASD's s/t CD-R and Palm's My Darkest Friends on the vinyl (translucent red, limited to 500). Hung out, chatted to some dudes - Was a pretty sweet night overall. Hopefully this could be the start of more quality bands hitting up Cairns for shows, but I'm doubtful.

Rolo Tomassi from the UK are actually playing here on Sunday night. Completely not my kind of thing but was thinking off going out to support, and just as something to do of a Sunday night.

:smirk:

Listen to Palm, yo:
http://palmjap.bandcamp.com/
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”