Shikinami: Sohryu-contaminated? [Split]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
elemileTLDR
Lilith

Shikinami: Sohryu-contaminated? [Split]

•      
  •      

Postby elemileTLDR » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:11 pm

[Split from here. The original beginning of this post, which was relevant to the original topic, can be found there as well. - Monk]

While on it: are we entirely past the insane possibility of Q Asuka being somehow "Sohryu-contaminated", within the Rebuild-after-EoE hypothesis (i.e. that the "Bardiel"/angelic presence in Asuka might be her own past self in a different continuity)? That could start explaining her eye damage/alteration, the ripping of this one plugsuit as a consequence of the harpies' attack (evisceration, halving of arm and final dismemberment) and maybe, just maybe, her mysterious final claim:

SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/elemile/media/helpherwhen_zps270fab63.png.html]Image[/URL]
Help her when, exactly?
And when did she become so knowledgeable about Shinji's fads?

...or am I sightseeing UFO again?
Last edited by elemileTLDR on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xϵ{0,1} ; PI: x²=x ; PNC: x(1-x)=0 ; PEM: x+(1-x)=1 —Boole
If our gods and hopes became scientific matters, why wouldn't our love as well?...
I offer you a scientific Eve. Chimere by chimere, sin by sin.
—V. De L'Isle-Adam

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:28 pm

The problem with your theory is that Asuka wasn't wearing her usual plugsuit when Bardiel attacked, and the tapped up suit of 3.0's first half isn't even the same than 14 years ago(the collar area is different)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:33 pm

^This. I remember when some of us thought that the taped-up plug suit meant that it was Soryu in 3.0, since the damaged parts matched up with her injuries at the end of EoE. Looking at it now, that plug suit probably got damaged in combat before the events of 3.0, possibly against the 11th or 12th Angel.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

elemileTLDR
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby elemileTLDR » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:35 pm

@ElMariachi
No, those are exactly the foundations for this guess: that the plugsuit is really Sohryu's, not Shikinami's; that Q-Asuka is Sohryu (angel/Q-Bardiel) + Shikinami (human). But laisse béton if it's just too silly.
If our gods and hopes became scientific matters, why wouldn't our love as well?...
—V. De L'Isle-Adam

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Except that Shikinami's tapped plugsuit in 3.0 is also different from Soryu, the collar is also different and there is an additional "button" that Soryu's suit don't have.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

elemileTLDR
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby elemileTLDR » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm

@ElMariachi
Please, my shot might be long but I'm not contradicting myself...

I mean that the plugsuit that was precariously amended sometime between 2.0 and Q might be originally Soryu's; who, as "another possibility" pertaining to another continuity (i.e. a functional angel here, somewhat like Shinji in the RE-TAKE doujin), invaded the Rebuild continuity as the so called "Bardiel" event during 2.0. I'm supposing that Shikinami, together with her test suit, morphed at some degree into Soryu/"Bardiel" together with her old torn off plugsuit as well.

Why would she use precisely that plugsuit again after all those years, during the beginning of Q? probably as some sort of charm or significant item during Unit-1's retrieval, for she might finally meet Shinji again not just since 2.0 as Shikinami but also since EoE as Soryu.

Also, there is the already well known weird face that comes with Bardiel, behind the cross shaped blue light:

If I'm not that nuts myself, this girly thing could be Soryu Asuka's "soul".

Significantly enough, there is this quote about the extended scene about the Bardiel incident on the storyboard (taken from here):

The most shocking scene at the end was not featured in the movie. Inside the Eva-03, the angel takes Asuka's face and says in Kaworu's voice that "a happy Asuka[?] [that] is not like you", then Asuka says that her happy self is scary and tries to put her usual face back.

It's a frail theory, I know, but it caught my eye and wanted to entertain the idea.
Last edited by elemileTLDR on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
—V. De L'Isle-Adam

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:49 am

I doubt that Asuka is contaminated with her NGE-self, mainly because it's not been proven that the sequel theory is correct, and the idea of Bardiel opening a portal to the NGE universe is very far-fetched. Additionally, most of the contamination references in Asuka's character are coloured blue (like Bardiel)- whereas Soryu is heavily associated with the colour red.

Additionally, Soryu could hardly said to be "happy", particularly at the end of EoE. And unless this is freaky Eva!Asuka from Anima trying to take the NME universe as her own, there's no evidence to support an alternate Asuka invading the NME universe, particularly as none of Asuka's many multi-media incarnations ever gain that much power.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

elemileTLDR
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby elemileTLDR » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:49 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Additionally, Soryu could hardly said to be "happy", particularly at the end of EoE.

Precisely: it was Shikinami who was suddenly happy (getting intimate with Misato and shit) and Bardiel told her that such happiness wasn't like Asuka (the real one, the bitter one) at all. I'm being terribly misunderstood over these last posts. Guess my english really sucks and/or I understood that quote incorrectly myself.

About the rest: OK.
Last edited by elemileTLDR on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
—V. De L'Isle-Adam

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:53 am

I, for one, had no trouble understanding you.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:35 am

View Original PostelemileTLDR wrote:Precisely: it was Shikinami who was suddenly happy (getting intimate with Misato and shit) and Bardiel told her that such happiness wasn't like Asuka (the real one, the bitter one) at all.

Oh, OK. I'm sorry, maybe I'm not reading these thoroughly enough.

But as, I said, Asuka Sohryu Langley never becomes powerful enough to cross dimensions in any official Evangelion media, and she was still human at the end of EoE which knocks out any idea of her crossing over via the sequel theory.

And I'm nothing like you

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:59 am

Just remember that these are just references to NGE and EoE. Nothing serious.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:07 am

I like your theory. It doesn't sound too far-fetched and what you say could be possible. Q's Asuka reminded me Soryu in some parts although there are still some differences.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:19 am

View Original PostDima wrote: It doesn't sound too far-fetched and what you say could be possible. Q's Asuka reminded me Soryu in some parts although there are still some differences.

I would say it is far-fetched in that it entails Asuka Sohryu crossing between parallel dimensions or living for the many years between EoE and NME and somehow turning into a blue ooze so she can shove herself into Shikinami's left eye.

And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:17 am

The idea of Anno combining characters from different continuities in a hidden way like that sounds completely unlikely to me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:58 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I would say it is far-fetched in that it entails Asuka Sohryu crossing between parallel dimensions or living for the many years between EoE and NME and somehow turning into a blue ooze so she can shove herself into Shikinami's left eye.

Well if you believe the sequel theory or parts of it then it doesn't sound so crazy.

My personal opinion is that after instrumentality the universe is resetting in some way. Many things change but some things remain intact like the selection of the pilots, angels, Kaworu, Impacts etc
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:05 am

View Original PostDima wrote: sequel theory

Did you have to summon this abomination from the grave?

Regarding the OP - I see it as Shikinami accusing Shinji of not helping enough with the Bardiel incident, resulting in her getting contaminated.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:57 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Well if you believe the sequel theory or parts of it then it doesn't sound so crazy.

Even that's super unlikely, as Sohryu was a human when we last saw her, instead of blue Angelic goo. Additionally, Sohryu would be under the impression that Eva-03 was meant for Toji- unless she's got precognitive powers or can somehow monitor Nerv Japan from a cumulonimbus cloud near America. There is very little reason why Sohryu would want to replicate the original Bardiel's attack, there is very little reason that she would have taken Bardiel's form, being a human, and there is no way she could have known she would come into contact with Asuka by taking over Eva-03.

Finally, Bardiel is a resplendent blue- whereas Sohryu is often associated with red, as is Shikinami.

And I'm nothing like you

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:28 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Even that's super unlikely, as Sohryu was a human when we last saw her, instead of blue Angelic goo. Additionally, Sohryu would be under the impression that Eva-03 was meant for Toji- unless she's got precognitive powers or can somehow monitor Nerv Japan from a cumulonimbus cloud near America. There is very little reason why Sohryu would want to replicate the original Bardiel's attack, there is very little reason that she would have taken Bardiel's form, being a human, and there is no way she could have known she would come into contact with Asuka by taking over Eva-03.

Finally, Bardiel is a resplendent blue- whereas Sohryu is often associated with red, as is Shikinami.

Yeah. Sorry, while I do have a pet theory that Eva is a Stein's Gate/When they Cry style multiverse with repeating chances to "get it right", I don`t see this as happening.

The hidden face is very cool, and it is the first time I`ve ever seen it or heard of it, but it looks more to me like a reflection caused by Bardiel`s bright light inside the LCL tube as Asuka is flung down into it. A reflection distorted by her own fear at this moment.

That or maybe Bardiel is female, and it`s a projection of her self-image in Human form. :shrug:
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Even I'm not prepared to think this far outside the box. Asuka contamination in Rebuild is almost certainly exclusively Bardiel related. But possibly also related to Eva-02, Third Impact, Rei, Mari, Kaworu, Shinji, etc, etc. Reaching for continuity bleed before exhausting other in-universe options is an unjustified stretch.
Last edited by ObsessiveMathsFreak on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:39 pm

I for one am still expecting a monumental plot twist regarding the purpose for her name being changed in the first place. Aside from the whole Mari/Asuka/Rei are clones/genetically engineered theory, this is the only other one which seems amazing on a fanwank fappability index.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”