Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:55 am

True but i think its still a huge leap to imply she has anything angelic about her. I mean its as plausible as the eye patch itself serving as an artificial eye and that's why it glows (obviously not true.) I just think its a huge jump from a glow in her eye to her being in any way angelic or part angel. I mean there's no part angels in the mythos at all for rebuild or any other evangelion source, the closest you get is the adam and lilith human clones and th gendo/adam hybrid. I think it's just one of thoes things to notice but wont resolve in a plot point....would love if it did mind don't get me wrong just playing devils advocate.

fleeting
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby fleeting » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:55 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:It's probably Bardiel screaming (similar to Arael), since Asuka doesn't seem extremely injured when the plug is broken open. But it could be either of them.

I would also like to point out that there seems to be an amount of blue involved in Asuka's new plugsuit in Q:

SPOILER: Show

Particularly the blue object in the solar plexus region where most plugsuits have a red circular object, the blue collar etc. Possibly another visual link to Bardiel?

Just pointing out the collar has always been blue. Even in NGE. All the Asuka toys staring at me have blue collars ;)

Glowing eyepatch....check.....cracking a few inch thick observation window...check. She may not be part angel but she was altered by contact with Bardiel somehow.

I never noticed the staple thing with Asukas face. kinda gross.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:23 am

What I always found odd was the piece of her new plug suit on the left side of her collarbone, which is blue, while the right side is orange.
At first I thought it was a nod to the blue armband the WILLE member wears, but Mari's plugsuit has this same piece of her plugsuit white on both sides...
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:48 pm

View Original PostHaydenn wrote:I mean there's no part angels in the mythos at all for rebuild or any other evangelion source, the closest you get is the adam and lilith human clones and th gendo/adam hybrid. I think it's just one of thoes things to notice but wont resolve in a plot point....would love if it did mind don't get me wrong just playing devils advocate.

Why would that hinder the possibility of human/angel hybrids in the movie series? Just because it hasn't existed in the Eva mythos at all yet means it won't happen with the movies? In that case, how could Anno do anything new?

And the precedent has been there for a while already. Every time a pilot reaches an excessive plug depth (Asuka in Unit 03, Mari in Unit 02, and Shinji during Eva 01's awakening,) Ritsuko makes a comment about potential contamination or not being human anymore. And with Shinji tearing out the central panel of his pilot seat in 2.0, (with one hand, no less) and Asuka breaking that glass, it's pretty clear the Evas have enhanced the pilots' physical forms somehow.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:54 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:What I always found odd was the piece of her new plug suit on the left side of her collarbone, which is blue, while the right side is orange.

Personally, my speculation is that it isn't vanity. Knowing the state that the world is in, resources for custom plugsuits are probably scarce. To top it off, Wille is using all of its power and money to construct the Wunder and build more Evas. I imagine that the blue is there to serve a particular purpose.

AlphaGamma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaGamma » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:03 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Personally, my speculation is that it isn't vanity. Knowing the state that the world is in, resources for custom plugsuits are probably scarce. To top it off, Wille is using all of its power and money to construct the Wunder and build more Evas. I imagine that the blue is there to serve a particular purpose.

It's probably a color code (nothing new there) to represent something, connected to the eye (considering it's on the same side). It won't be explicitly explained, it's just there for viewers to notice and speculate. Ofc if it turns out that Asuka is in part angel that will explain it.

ElMariachi wrote:What I always found odd was the piece of her new plug suit on the left side of her collarbone, which is blue, while the right side is orange.
At first I thought it was a nod to the blue armband the WILLE member wears, but Mari's plugsuit has this same piece of her plugsuit white on both sides...

The asymmetry definitely makes it interesting. The idea that she may be half human/half something else (one part orange, the other blue). It's the only plugsuit that lacks symmetry. Funnily enough, even her old plugsuit lacks it in 3.0 (due to the fact that it's ruined), so there's definitely a symbolical meaning of some kind there.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:53 pm

View Original PostAlphaGamma wrote:It's probably a color code (nothing new there) to represent something, connected to the eye (considering it's on the same side). It won't be explicitly explained, it's just there for viewers to notice and speculate. Ofc if it turns out that Asuka is in part angel that will explain it.

The asymmetry definitely makes it interesting. The idea that she may be half human/half something else (one part orange, the other blue). It's the only plugsuit that lacks symmetry. Funnily enough, even her old plugsuit lacks it in 3.0 (due to the fact that it's ruined), so there's definitely a symbolical meaning of some kind there.

How did I missed that : maybe that's a reference to the pattern orange(humans and Evangelions) and pattern blue!(Angels and angelic based entities like the Nemesis Series!)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Why would that hinder the possibility of human/angel hybrids in the movie series? Just because it hasn't existed in the Eva mythos at all yet means it won't happen with the movies? In that case, how could Anno do anything new?

And the precedent has been there for a while already. Every time a pilot reaches an excessive plug depth (Asuka in Unit 03, Mari in Unit 02, and Shinji during Eva 01's awakening,) Ritsuko makes a comment about potential contamination or not being human anymore. And with Shinji tearing out the central panel of his pilot seat in 2.0, (with one hand, no less) and Asuka breaking that glass, it's pretty clear the Evas have enhanced the pilots' physical forms somehow.

Id say it would hinder it as much as say.....Shinji becoming a ghost buster because why not, it hasn't happened but could. I realize i've taken that to an extreme but the movies and the pre-existing material are not completely separate, yes the Rebuilds are a new take and everything can change but im merely stating there's no actual evidence just conjecture. Like your comment on the pilots being enhanced, i dont see any evidence of that. Asuka punches glass and it breaks....well i can punch glass and it breaks i'm not enhanced and their is nothing saying the panel was difficult to break it could have been fragile. As i've said id much rather it be something interesting like an angel/human hybrid. Just posting some other potential perspectives.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:23 am

View Original PostHaydenn wrote:Asuka punches glass and it breaks....well i can punch glass and it breaks i'm not enhanced and their is nothing saying the panel was difficult to break it could have been fragile. As i've said id much rather it be something interesting like an angel/human hybrid. Just posting some other potential perspectives.

Do you imagine the central panel of a pilot's seat in the most powerful weapon available to humankind is made of cheap plastic? :um: So cheap that a fourteen year old boy of very light build is able to just tear it out, wires and all, with one hand?

Considering he visibly strains and sparks fly out of the thing as he tears it out, I find that unlikely.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:07 pm

It seems very "Japanese (storytelling)", that her just saying, "It's 14 years of pent up rage" is as good as explanation as needed to explain why she was able to crack the glass. I don't think we are meant to look at it beyond what Asuka says.

OT There is also the possibility that there is something foreign in Asuka's eye socket that is important, and has nothing to do with Bardiel. We think it has to do with Bardiel, but wille or Nerv could have put something extra in there, like an Adam fetus for example, and is meant to be a plot twist when she revels her eye is actually.... dun... dun... dun... a mini lance of loginus... or whatever.
Last edited by Lonecow12 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaGamma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaGamma » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:07 pm

View Original PostLennik wrote:Do you imagine the central panel of a pilot's seat in the most powerful weapon available to humankind is made of cheap plastic? :um: So cheap that a fourteen year old boy of very light build is able to just tear it out, wires and all, with one hand?

Considering he visibly strains and sparks fly out of the thing as he tears it out, I find that unlikely.

He's probably talking about the glass panel Asuka breaks in 3.0. Still, it definitely seems strange that the glass panels in a battleship would be fragile to the point where a thin girl could actually break them with a punch.

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:32 pm

I thought it was more telling that Shinji is beating on it with both fists (not just once) and the cracks don't get any larger.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:59 pm

View Original PostCharsi wrote:I thought it was more telling that Shinji is beating on it with both fists (not just once) and the cracks don't get any larger.

And the fact it cracked all the way through to Shinji's side. As witnessed when Ritsuko presses the button to make the two-way glass one-way.

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Do you imagine the central panel of a pilot's seat in the most powerful weapon available to humankind is made of cheap plastic? So cheap that a fourteen year old boy of very light build is able to just tear it out, wires and all, with one hand?

So you think it being designed for quick manual release is less likely than Shinji being a super human? Despite their never being a single mention of that being the case? I mean look at the quick release in some fighter jets cockpit (or even the emergency shoot on the chair) the pilot rips it out of the side, wires and all, there not designed to look pretty when pulled off and the idea of the most powerful weapon not having a quick/emergency release on the pilots harness is absurd. not to mention at the point your mentioning Shinji's plug depth is at its deepest point essentially meaning Shinji himself has been absorbed and no longer 'exists' hence why he's glowing blue with glowing red eyes its probably just a story telling device like the glass (as mentioned above by Lonecow12, i completely agree btw) That's far more likely than the pilots having become captain america.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05 pm

View Original PostHaydenn wrote:So you think it being designed for quick manual release is less likely than Shinji being a super human? Despite their never being a single mention of that being the case? I mean look at the quick release in some fighter jets cockpit (or even the emergency shoot on the chair) the pilot rips it out of the side, wires and all, there not designed to look pretty when pulled off and the idea of the most powerful weapon not having a quick/emergency release on the pilots harness is absurd. not to mention at the point your mentioning Shinji's plug depth is at its deepest point essentially meaning Shinji himself has been absorbed and no longer 'exists' hence why he's glowing blue with glowing red eyes its probably just a story telling device like the glass (as mentioned above by Lonecow12, i completely agree btw) That's far more likely than the pilots having become captain america.

The quick release function of the entry plug is shown when Asuka uses it in 3.0, and if I remember correctly, though I could be wrong on this detail, it isn't the central panel of the seat. Meanwhile, Ritsuko mentions contamination over and over again throughout the films, so you can't write off the possibility that they have some kind of angel DNA as if it's completely out of left field. They don't even physically age for god's sake, and Asuka refers to this as the curse of Eva, which already implies that the nature of the Evangelion fundamentally changes the physical nature of the pilot.

Shinies
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:43 pm

I always thougth that the mention of contamination meant more on the psychological side rather than the physical side though it remains a possibility. What is behind the eye patch is rather interesting, as well as what type of damage she has on her left side of the body, though angel contamination could be a valid answer having 01 crush your plug with you inside would be the most obvious as to why all that damage on her.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:08 am

Ritsuko flat out warns during the climax of 2.0 that Shinji won't be human anymore if his plug depth increases too much, so there's also that.

Shinies
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:16 am

Indeed she did but the circumstances are different, in the case of Asuka it was not a problem of plug depth but of being surrounded by angel tissue which might interact with her mind and only that, or as you said it might contaminate her on a physical level.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:51 am

View Original PostShinies wrote:Indeed she did but the circumstances are different, in the case of Asuka it was not a problem of plug depth but of being surrounded by angel tissue which might interact with her mind and only that, or as you said it might contaminate her on a physical level.

Actually, when Bardiel takes over, it causes Asuka's plug depth to increase beyond the safety limit; thus she did experience a dangerous plug depth and might have been altered in the same way as Shinji.

SPOILER: Show
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:10 am

The quick release function of the entry plug is shown when Asuka uses it in 3.0, and if I remember correctly, though I could be wrong on this detail, it isn't the central panel of the seat.

Im not referring to the plug release, i'm postulating the seat harness itself may have a quick release. I know how the release to get the entry plug out works (you see it often enough) but it would be odd for the actual harness holding the pilot in the seat to not have a release in the event of loss of function ect. I thought the contamination was always clear as a mental thing, doesn't it say on screen, mental contamination a few times? i may be wrong there. Also by not being human anymore i'm sure Ritsuko is referring to being absorbed into the EVA rather than becoming something else like a hybrid. Still it would be cool if they did but that's a bit more evangelion manga campus apocalypse lol.

Also ill touch on the curse of eva i guess, again this is purely a story telling device in my opinion. Anno wanted to advance the time 13 years but people would go nuts if they had characters that didn't look the same as the ones they love. Some would be happy to see it (like in anima) but allot wouldn't and tho i doubt Anno would care too much there must be sales ect related to merchandise ect ect with the characters. I mean look at some of the things they sold related to these 14 year old girls and now they can say "no no they're 28" So its a convenient way of making changes while keeping things the same. That's probably why its just explained with a throw away line,.

Mind you anything is possible and it makes more sense than some other eva stuff out there (like anime....which is still ace) and would be very cool, i mean id expect more from Shinji considering all he's gone through, i mean the kid did awaken an eva and live in it for 13 years. Anyhow prob getting off the original topic too much isn't this about an eye or something?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”