Character Heights

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 29, 2013 7:18 pm

I realize there might be a temptation to screen me out on account of my being opinionated and guilty of posting in excess and all, but I did address this in detail here.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed May 29, 2013 7:32 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:So as far as I can see, Shinji and the other kids being short is just artistic license.

I'd say it's pretty much this. I don't really see the point in trying to figure out why Shinji is so short because it's ignoring the fact that all the kids are short, Toji and Kensuke included. Why? Who knows. The obvious example is that making them short is a great way to differentiate them from the adults. Maybe there's something more, maybe there's something less.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed May 29, 2013 8:25 pm

<snip>
View Original PostBagheera wrote:I realize there might be a temptation to screen me out on account of my being opinionated and guilty of posting in excess

</snip>

Don't be ridiculous. I tossed in my two cents about the height issue, the same as you.

5'5" - 5'6" for Shinji and Rei sounds right, but are you sure about 5'8" for Asuka?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 29, 2013 8:59 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:5'5" - 5'6" for Shinji and Rei sounds right, but are you sure about 5'8" for Asuka?

For what's in the show, not at all. The heights Reichu gave way back when are spot on compared to lineart and show reality. But as I said, if Rei is a clone of Yui and we're supposed to expect them to match up when Rei matures it means she has to grow another 26 cm, which just doesn't work. So I backtracked from the final result (i.e. Yui's height) by three cm (which I got from the graph linked earlier, it's growth based on the assumption that Asuka's 13 and will gain 3 cm more before she stops growing) and applied the same formula to the other kids (well, I knocked off 7 cm in Shinji's case, since a 14-year-old boy can expect to gain about that much before he stops, but still) for the sake of consistency; in reality they would grow at different rates, though I think it would work out well in Shinji's case (Reichu had Yui at 5'6", not sure if there was a miscommunication somewhere that led to 5'9" for her but I think Reichu's figure is right). But if Asuka's supposed to be even with or a tad taller than Shinji 5'8" fits in her case as well. It just means the exaggeration in the Eva-Store pic is accurate even when you scale them up so they fit with the adults. :lol: And of course, it also means that when Shinji is past his growth spurt the two will be almost exactly eye-to-eye, which is appealing for the LAS folks out there. :thumbsup:

But if you're asking if the math is right, then yeah. She's a cm taller than Shinji in the lineart, so scaling up we get corrected heights of +23 cm for her and +19 cm for him, meaning she's got 5 cm on him when all is said and done. That's a little less than two inches, or 5'8" compared to 5'6". He'll catch up eventually, but boys are slow. :tongue:

If my wording there seems convoluted or confusing let me know and I'll try to present my rationale a different way.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Actual scan of NME height chart. Interestingly enough it seems like it overlays quite well on top of the NGE one. Everyone is in the same position except for Hikari. Maybe they just lazily traced it and adjusted what needed adjusting?

Image Image
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 29, 2013 10:00 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Actual scan of NME height chart. Interestingly enough it seems like it overlays quite well on top of the NGE one. Everyone is in the same position except for Hikari. Maybe they just lazily traced it and adjusted what needed adjusting?

I still don't understand why they made Fuyu taller.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 pm

They're freakin smurfs :lol:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Fuyu stayed the same. Gendo and Kaji shrunk.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 29, 2013 10:22 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Fuyu stayed the same. Gendo and Kaji shrunk.

No, check again. Many people changed heights in that chart, including Fuyu. He used to be 183, now he's 193. Gendo and Kaji indeed shrank, while Misato and Ritsuko gained 10 cm and 11 cm respectively. Hikari gained 5 cm, Shinji gained 7 cm, and Touji gained 14 cm.

Chart is weird, man.

Smiles
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Smiles » Thu May 30, 2013 4:22 am

We talking about the chart where Shinji is 157cm tall?

Where did that graph come from anyway? :o
#YOLOSWAG

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 am

View Original PostSmiles wrote:We talking about the chart where Shinji is 157cm tall?

Where did that graph come from anyway? :o

I believe it's from the 2.0 Complete Records Collection, but I might be wrong.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu May 30, 2013 8:11 am

NME chart = CRC 2.0
NGE chatr = Newtype Film Book 1, but I'm sure it has been reprinted in other places as well.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 30, 2013 11:08 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:NGE chatr = Newtype Film Book 1, but I'm sure it has been reprinted in other places as well.

My scan which Tines posted earlier is from the Newtype 100% Collection, and it doesn't have the scale bar because it wasn't included in that printing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Remember that the heights from the first chart were rough estimates based on Misato's height;

If we got official numbers from the CR, we should take them.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 30, 2013 5:58 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Remember that the heights from the first chart were rough estimates based on Misato's height;

If we got official numbers from the CR, we should take them.

No we shouldn't, they have nothing to do with what's seen in NGE.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 pm

...are you implying that all these ppl sat there together, in a circle or so, and then one of them said, "Hey, do you know what? Let's just randomly make Asuka three inches shorter this time, because that will totally get some deepu pointsu across!!" and the rest of them went "Hell yes!".

What would be the point in changing something like that, so a few of the most hardcore geeks can notice? Esp when their sizes relatively to each other are mostly the same, ie Touji's still huge, while Kensuke's still short, and Asuka's still a tidbit taller than the other two etc.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:...are you implying that all these ppl sat there together, in a circle or so, and then one of them said, "Hey, do you know what? Let's just randomly make Asuka three inches shorter this time, because that will totally get some deepu pointsu across!!" and the rest of them went "Hell yes!".

No, I'm telling you that what they came up with for NTE has no bearing on what they came up with for NGE, since the characters could be subtly re-designed in all sorts of ways that aren't immediately apparent. That Eva-Store pic makes this incredibly obvious, and the numbers given in that CR pic simply cannot be made to match up with what's shown in that group shot from the Newtype book published way back when. That pic reflects what we saw in the show more than any numbers anyone cares to throw around, since it came from the same style sheets that determined the look of the show. That means it trumps numbers people came up with 14 years after the fact.

So no. Assuming the characters kept their relative proportions as shown in that pic (and for the most part it appears as though they did) the numbers Reichu gave are more relevant than anything we've seen for the NTE since the NTE is a different work. And if someone gave official numbers for NGE that were at odds with the style sheets used in the show I'd cry foul and say they're bogus, just as we've done the same thing with Asuka's age -- they say she's 14, we know that's impossible given her birthday, so we say "tough shit guys, she's 13, deal with it". It's the same principle here.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu May 30, 2013 8:04 pm

By the way, this is Reichu puts Yui at 5'9", not 5'6".
http://forum.evageeks.org/post/125329/Character-heights-v2/#125329

That makes Yui my height, and she'd tower over a whole lot of people. :lol:

View Original PostBagheera wrote: But if Asuka's supposed to be even with or a tad taller than Shinji 5'8" fits in her case as well.

I get your rationale, but I'm pegging Asuka's adult height based on her parents' height, the same as with Shinji. If Yui and Gendo are that tall, Shinji would realistically expect to come close to both of them. If Asuka's mom and dad are both tall, she would realistically go eye-to-eye with Baka-Shinji. But how tall are her mom and dad?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 30, 2013 8:24 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:By the way, this is Reichu puts Yui at 5'9", not 5'6".

But then why did she use 5'6" in the list of character heights?

And 5'9" is stupid tall for Yui. Apart from the fact it's crazy tall for a Japanese it also means that once Rei and the kids are corrected for age they'd all come close to six feet as adults. That doesn't even make sense.

Perhaps Gendo's height changed as convenient much like the Evas! :lol:

I get your rationale, but I'm pegging Asuka's adult height based on her parents' height, the same as with Shinji. If Yui and Gendo are that tall, Shinji would realistically expect to come close to both of them. If Asuka's mom and dad are both tall, she would realistically go eye-to-eye with Baka-Shinji. But how tall are her mom and dad?

We've never even seen them, let alone seen them in comparison to other characters, so we can't even speculate. I guess we could try to get Kyoko's height from ISRP, but that seems dodgy at best to me.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 30, 2013 8:36 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:By the way, this is Reichu puts Yui at 5'9", not 5'6".

That was before I corrected for the high heels.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”