Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:09 pm

It is the year 0013 of the EvaGeek Century. A half-century has passed since Geeks began moving its burgeoning population into gigantic orbiting space threads. After 2 years of continuing clusterfuck, spam and autism we are finally breaching new frontiers. A new home for mankind, where users are born and raised. [Dramatic Pause] And die.

Gundam thread: the Zeta Edition, please continue :coffee:

and

TO ALL GUNDAM NEWCOMERS WITH ALL THEIR IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, GET TRAINED BY THE RED COMET HIMSELF!

SPOILER: Show
ImageGreetings young recruit, and welcome to Gundam! Today I, Char Aznable, will be your official instructor.
So you think you got what it takes to engage in Mobile Suit combat? Well, let's take a look where to begin with first.

Gundam is one of the most iconic robot franchises from Japan. Several TV series, movies, Ova, manga and video games playing in multiple universes have spawned at this point. Every new watcher will ask themselves first where to start and what series are even worthwhile? This isn't so easy to answer, every Gundam show has it's own little spin and every fan will tell you something different. However you can close down your options based on your personal interests. For this, I will give you a brief guide

As you can see, the Universal Century is the biggest Universe in Gundam. It is known for having pioneered the real robot genre and has usually a more serious and dark tone to it. If you are really interested in Gundam and what started it all, this should be your starting point. Production order is usually recommended.

In case you have actually seen series before but you need to refresh your memories a quick and rather bare bones timeline of the previous U.C. events (Careful, spoilers!):

Mobile Suit Gundam: The One Year War (U.C.0079) was a conflict between the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon (Side 3) led by the Zabi clan. It stemmed from the fact that Zeon wanted to break away from the colonial rule imposed upon them by the Federation and left the other Sides (Space Colonies) either allying with the Federation, in ruin from Zeon attack, or claiming neutrality. Of course Gihren Zabi was a Space Hitler to justify our heroes aboard the White Base and the Federation winning despite the fact that space colonies wanting autonomy is a valid claim (which seems to be the basis of Unicorn currently).

Zeta Gundam: The Gryps Conflict (U.C.0087) was fought between the Earth Federation which, since the OYW, had become highly corrupt at the hands of the Titans, and the Anti-Earth Union Group, which was a political faction within the Earth Federation that opposed the fascist policies of the Titans. During this conflict the Axis, a group that consisted of the remains of Zeon who had retreated to the asteroid Axis after being defeated in the OYW, emerged and became the true victor of the Gryps Conflict by playing the Federation and AEUG against each other in order to build an army that would be known as Neo Zeon. It's important to note for Unicorn that Mineva Lao Zabi ("Audrey Burn"), Dozle Zabi's daughter, was used as a figurehead by Haman Karn to give her the ability to lead the Axis and Neo Zeon due to Mineva being the last surviving member of the Zabi clan.

ZZ Gundam: (U.C.0088-89) Not anime, therefore it doesn't count. Seriously though, at the end the first Neo Zeon movement eventually ends with the death of Haman Karn ;__; because of a civil war in the ranks of the Zeon sparked by Glemy Toto who proclaims himself as Gihren Zabi's heir but who dies as well.

Char's Counterattack: (U.C.0093) A second Neo Zeon movement is headed by Char Aznable (who is the son of Zeon Zum Deikun, the founder of the Republic of Zeon prior to it becoming a Principality under the Zabis) who fell off the map after Zeta Gundam. This is where the Londo Bell was first introduced since it was a ship under the command of Bright Noa (who commanded the White Base in the original Gundam and the Argama in Zeta and ZZ). Char's genius plan for this new Neo Zeon was to speed up the migration of humanity to space by purchasing the Axis asteroid from the Federation government and chucking it at the Earth in order to make it uninhabitable. It was stopped by Amuro because he was the good guy, but both Char and Amuro died as a result of this.

Gundam Unicorn: (U.C.0096) From what it looks like so far, remnants of Neo Zeon wish to acquire the contents of Laplace's box so they can use them to justify and gain support for another war based on the ideal of self-governance. Mineva is against this, but fails to stop the war from erupting obviously. Full Frontal, as a result of being a Char clone (literally for once), is most likely the one these remnants are rallying around.

The Alternate Universe represents all the newer produced series who offer a variety of different shows. They often reference U.C. and have certain gimmicks to give them their own identity. They are however contentual independent from each other.

If you are interested in pro and cons, /m/ has made a chart, albeit as stated, opinions differ greatly and it should be taken more as an orientation than gospel.

Lastly, if you are still unsure, Ghostligtning has made a survey to find out your gateway Gundam:

http://werememberlovespecials.wordpress ... ay-gundam/

-----

Of course, Gundam wouldn't be Gundam without advertising plastic toys or what they are called among experts: "Gunpla". If you are interested in model building yourself, you should check out the following links

http://otakurevolution.com/content/laym ... d-tutorial
http://www.hlj.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIvB95cV ... pindex=109
http://www.youtube.com/user/rrobbert184
http://gundamguy.blogspot.de/ (also good source for general Gundam News)

Well then, any more questions, address yourself to one of the resident poster in the thread. Happy watching and building and always try to remember - in war to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy!

SIEG ZEON!

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:12 pm

It begins!

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Holy shit, nice job on that OP Fireball

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Beautiful post Fireball

Sasuga kore wa Gandamu da

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:33 pm

10/10 post couldn't think of a better way to kick off the new gundam thread excellent job
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Nice post, man. :D

So what's everyone's favorite AU? Mine's probably G Gundam, though I might still be high off of finishing it for the first time today.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:06 pm

despite it's problems my favorite AU is 00. I liked the mecha designs. I thought Setsuna was a great MC and Gram was a great Char clone.

Opinion is subject to change after I watch Turn A though I hear it's fantastic and if the ending theme is anything to go by the OST is pretty amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2NkIJyRylw
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:41 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:despite it's problems my favorite AU is 00. I liked the mecha designs. I thought Setsuna was a great MC and Gram was a great Char clone.

Opinion is subject to change after I watch Turn A though I hear it's fantastic and if the ending theme is anything to go by the OST is pretty amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2NkIJyRylw

Wait, you never watched Turn A??

When you don't count Turn A, I'd say G Gundam is my favorite A.U. as well although, like FM, I really dig the first season of 00. Setsuna was hilarious and Graham was definitely one of the better Char clones. Hell, even Mr. Bushido was wackyawesome, I'll give that season 2.

Yeah, I think everyone should also say his favorite series, character and Gundam/mobile suit while you are at.

Favorite series/OVA/Movie
Mobile Suit Gundam
Zeta Gundam
CCA

Character
Char Aznable
Haman Karn
Amuro Ray

Gundam/Mobile Suit
AMX-004 Qubeley
Nu-Gundam
Zaku II

also I'm really happy you all liked the OP! It was hard making it comprehensive but not too overwhelming. I also edited the /m/ guide a bit since it said some eye-rolling stuff I just couldn't support :cringe:

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Wait, you never watched Turn A??

Yeah I haven't watched it yet, well that's unture I watched the first two episodes a while ago and just haven't had the time recently to watch the remaining 48 I plan to do so once exams are finished though

Favorite series/OVA/Movie
Zeta
CCA

Character
Amuro Ray
Char Aznable
Kamille Bidan

Mobile suit
Hi Nu Gundam
Qubeley
Sazabi

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:38 am

Good work with the OP, Fireball
Voluntary Illusion.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 am

Fireball-chan, i'm in love.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 pm

Magnificent OP from a magnificent bastard, as expected :)

If I had to rank the Gundam series I've seen so far, including OVAs:

0080: War in the Pocket
MSG film trilogy
Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam series
Char's Counterattack
8th MS Team
ZZ
0083: Stardust Memory
G Gundam
Victory Gundam
Zeta Gundam: A New Translation film trilogy
F-91
After War X
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Gundam Wing

I've just started Turn A and I'm finishing up 8th MS Team currently, but Turn A is already great and really shaping up to be my favorite AU title of the franchise. I'm interested to see what the hell the "Correct Century" shit comes out to mean, but the internet has told me that apparently it doesn't do a great job actually integrating the previous series into its plot. I guess I'll find out.

lol Unicorn, you're missing from this list... someday I'll get around to you

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:14 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:Yeah I haven't watched it yet, well that's unture I watched the first two episodes a while ago and just haven't had the time recently to watch the remaining 48 I plan to do so once exams are finished though

Well, consider myself surprised. I always thought you had seen it already. You gotta get on that asap and on dat gunpla too. I'm waching you bro!

View Original PostMerridian wrote:lol Unicorn, you're missing from this list... someday I'll get around to you

You better do, we want to watch it the next stream.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Yas does it again.

SPOILER: Show
Buy yours too, dammit. It's the only way we can get more Gundam-related manga.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm

View Original Postschwarzstahlhelm1993 wrote:Yas does it again.

Oh, where'd you disappear to?

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Nice purchase.

View Original PostTankred wrote:Oh, where'd you disappear to?

That's not Schwarz, that's Scherz Hardhat. Can't you tell by the sunglasses?

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks for the excellent guide, OP, much appreciated!

I have watched very little Gundam, so far the only one I've gotten into has been Gundam: The 08th MS Team, which I liked for its grittier, more grounded in reality approach.

I plan to watch the original series as well, possibly 00 (for no particular reason other than it has some of my favourite MS designs), War in the Pocket, and maybe Zeta.

Which are the most "realistic" (so not so much "GOLDEN FINGER SWORD" crap or OTT Newtype weirdness, and further to the "real robot" end of the Super/Real Robot spectrum) Gundam series?

Also, as someone who loves action figures and model kits, aside from the good ol' Zaku II, what other Mobile Suits do the Principality of Zeon field? I know there's a Sniper variant, and I think there's this big weird yellow thing with huge feet and 2 arms that extend from the girdle armour, but I don't know much about the Zeon armoury...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:01 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Which are the most "realistic" (so not so much "GOLDEN FINGER SWORD" crap or OTT Newtype weirdness, and further to the "real robot" end of the Super/Real Robot spectrum) Gundam series?

I'll let that slide. You still have much to learn.

most "realistic"

MS Team
War in the Pocket
Stardust Memory

the rest all have their Newtype shenanigans and CRUAZY, some more, some less.

Also, as someone who loves action figures and model kits, aside from the good ol' Zaku II, what other Mobile Suits do the Principality of Zeon field? I know there's a Sniper variant, and I think there's this big weird yellow thing with huge feet and 2 arms that extend from the girdle armour, but I don't know much about the Zeon armoury...

You might as well ask what cars Mercedes has made.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/

The Sniper is a modified Zaku I

The yellow one you are talking about is probably The O.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:10 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Nice purchase.

That's not Schwarz, that's Scherz Hardhat. Can't you tell by the sunglasses?

True this. I was thrown into the Bajoran Wormhole after being possessed by Dukat when I tried modifying it to get to the Cosmic Era to kill Kira and Lacus and fix that Universe. Sadly, I instead ended up in the Bubblegum Crash universe and was stuck there for several centuries before finally using Sylia's hardsuits to get back here.

Anyhow, let's hope this release brings us more Gundam. Yas' art still holds up even thirty years later. Based Yas shall forever be the best.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:18 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:I'll let that slide. You still have much to learn.

most "realistic"

MS Team
War in the Pocket
Stardust Memory

the rest all have their Newtype shenanigans and CRUAZY, some more, some less.

You might as well ask what cars Mercedes has made.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/

The Sniper is a modified Zaku I

The yellow one you are talking about is probably The O.

Thanks! Yeah, those are the ones. I've always had a fondness for the Zeon suits, with their mono-eyes and spiky shoulders.

And please, forgive me for my heresy. I am uninitiated in the ways of Teh Gundam.

Speaking of heresy, just came across this ugly bug.

ARGH.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Anime and Manga”