Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:I just don't see it that way. Light does have a grand purpose- it's very clearly stated- and the plot is basically L & Successors molesting him and distracting him from it with the constant mind games.

They have to, he's a serial murderer with a god complex. Cops are paid to stop those guys.

But anyway, if Light were serious about his principles he'd kill select people in subtle fashion, influencing society by increments to make a better world and keeping himself out of the limelight so he could continue his work uninterrupted. But he's not serious about his principles; he's just using them as an excuse to boost his own ego and, well, we see where that gets him.

I do wonder what Near and co. would do with the Death Notes, though. Or would Rukh just reclaim them once Light's dead?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 pm

I'd sympathize more with Light if his desire was actually trying to make the world a better place, but he really just wanted to play God. Also I really liked the first half of the series, everything after was kinda meh.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:38 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:They have to, he's a serial murderer with a god complex. Cops are paid to stop those guys.

But anyway, if Light were serious about his principles he'd kill select people in subtle fashion, influencing society by increments to make a better world and keeping himself out of the limelight so he could continue his work uninterrupted. But he's not serious about his principles; he's just using them as an excuse to boost his own ego and, well, we see where that gets him.

I do wonder what Near and co. would do with the Death Notes, though. Or would Rukh just reclaim them once Light's dead?

Near burned the deathnote, though he may have used it to kill mikami first, which is something tsugumi ohba neither confirmed nor denied when asked.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But anyway, if Light were serious about his principles he'd kill select people in subtle fashion, influencing society by increments to make a better world and keeping himself out of the limelight so he could continue his work uninterrupted. But he's not serious about his principles; he's just using them as an excuse to boost his own ego and, well, we see where that gets him.

Hmm, it's hard to say whether he didn't want to admit his methods were more ego-boosting, or he just didn't realize there was a better way like what Bagheera mentioned. He is a genius, but just 17. In any case i have to admit that Light turning into a rather clear villain was a bit of a let-down for me. The way both L and him screamed "I am Justice!" gave me hopes and illusion of two very different people fighting each other for their own idea of justice, so it was somewhat dissapointed when Light ruined that.

Going by Near's comments about the Death Note in the final episode, he will most certainly destroy it. It's never explicit what are the others's feelings regarding the Death Note (Well, except Matsuda at least) but it's most likely that they feel a similar way.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:They have to, he's a serial murderer with a god complex. Cops are paid to stop those guys.

Regardless of how much money they get for it, or even if they are right, they are still distracting him.
But his plan was to show off, and keep himself in the limelight. The point was to make himself a god. His goal wasn't so much to kill all of the criminals but rather to make justice inevitable, and so to frighten the world into proper behavior. Crime couldn't pay, because you will die. Being subtle wouldn't work like this. Regardless if you think it would actually work, it did in the story, as world crime rates actually dropped by seventy percent.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:39 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Regardless of how much money they get for it, or even if they are right, they are still distracting him.
But his plan was to show off, and keep himself in the limelight. The point was to make himself a god. His goal wasn't so much to kill all of the criminals but rather to make justice inevitable, and so to frighten the world into proper behavior. Crime couldn't pay, because you will die. Being subtle wouldn't work like this. Regardless if you think it would actually work, it did in the story, as world crime rates actually dropped by seventy percent.

Yes, at the cost of subservience to a lunatic who got to rule the world and shape it to his whim. I stand by my assessment: his motives aren't as virtuous as you seem to think they are.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:45 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Yes, at the cost of subservience to a lunatic who got to rule the world and shape it to his whim. I stand by my assessment: his motives aren't as virtuous as you seem to think they are.

Ah yes, but I just don't see Light as a lunatic. I do see him as ambitious, with an eye both to his own gain and the gain of others as well.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

deliberately awkwardly phrased questions are go

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:09 am

So did we ever find out if anime-Misa is an attractive woman or not because they were really skirting around the issue with Light at first being repulsed by her and then five years later sharing a bedroom with her and that bit of dialogue that made it seem like they were doin' it?
Voluntary Illusion.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: deliberately awkwardly phrased questions are go

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:05 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:So did we ever find out if anime-Misa is an attractive woman or not because they were really skirting around the issue with Light at first being repulsed by her and then five years later sharing a bedroom with her and that bit of dialogue that made it seem like they were doin' it?

Remember that scene with Patrick Bateman and the prostitues? Instead of flexing his muscles he is writing names down in exaggerated manners.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 am

Lavinius wrote:Ah yes, but I just don't see Light as a lunatic. I do see him as ambitious, with an eye both to his own gain and the gain of others as well.

That's the mindset of many dictators, as much as we'd like to think of them as purely cruel bastards with no regard for anyone else some of them actually believe that whatever regime they impose is better for everyone, that doesn't make them right.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:So did we ever find out if anime-Misa is an attractive woman or not because they were really skirting around the issue with Light at first being repulsed by her and then five years later sharing a bedroom with her and that bit of dialogue that made it seem like they were doin' it?

My understanding is that Misa was good looking, being a model and all, but very immature with a voice like the tenth circle of hell. Light was sleeping with her, but only to keep her quiet. He never seemed at all enthused by her attentions.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:38 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:My understanding is that Misa was good looking, being a model and all, but very immature with a voice like the tenth circle of hell. Light was sleeping with her, but only to keep her quiet. He never seemed at all enthused by her attentions.

Eh, I liked Misa's voice, but she is pretty immature though. I kinda wish they showed what happened with her after the series ended more. From what the manga author said she got a bad end.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:46 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But anyway, if Light were serious about his principles he'd kill select people in subtle fashion, influencing society by increments to make a better world and keeping himself out of the limelight so he could continue his work uninterrupted. But he's not serious about his principles; he's just using them as an excuse to boost his own ego and, well, we see where that gets him.

QFT
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Defectron wrote:Eh, I liked Misa's voice, but she is pretty immature though. I kinda wish they showed what happened with her after the series ended more.

We see her standing on the edge of a rooftop in the end, presumably contemplating suicide, so it's likely she killed herself, 20 episodes too late in my opinion.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:58 pm

Very well put. I'd say it's his ego that's making him think he's sticking to his principles.

Light Yagami was no saint before he grabbed hold of the Death Note, and he never realized it. That thing brought out a side of him that he never knew existed, and that he failed to understand in his self-righteousness. And since he never understood his dark side well enough, he let his newfound power destroy him altogether. I think the series does a wonderful job of portraying that corruption.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:53 pm

It showed him corrupted from the very beginning, which is why I quickly tired of him and nominated him as my most disliked character. The trouble with the series is that there is so little real development.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 pm

I'd say he was a douche before he found the note but he likely would have just stepped into his father's shoes and become a respectable police officer without it. Yeah, the note probably fell into someone's hands prone to megalomania but not many wouldn't end up similar ways. The power is just too seductive to handle for the single mind.

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Eh, I liked Misa's voice, but she is pretty immature though. I kinda wish they showed what happened with her after the series ended more. From what the manga author said she got a bad end.

Yup, guidebook dates her suicide one year later after Light demise.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:I'd say he was a douche before he found the note but he likely would have just stepped into his father's shoes and become a respectable police officer without it. Yeah, the note probably fell into someone's hands prone to megalomania but not many wouldn't end up similar ways. The power is just too seductive to handle for the single mind.

He didn't really strike me as much of a douchebag before finding the death note. Just an isolated and rather bitter gifted child, which probably isn't too uncommon. It does seems like the Death Note has an effect on the user similar to that of the One ring, but i think it's just mostly the power that ended up corruptin him.

And on Misa's death, as far as i understand it it only says she dies on Valentine's day, but it doesn't specify if it was a suicide or for what reason (as in, if Ryuk had a hand in it, her time was up because of the eye-deals, etc.)
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:11 am

It was suicide.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:54 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Remember that scene with Patrick Bateman and the prostitues? Instead of flexing his muscles he is writing names down in exaggerated manners.

This is an excellent post although it took me a while to realise that your comment about Light is actually an answer to my question about Misa

I guess it's what I should expect from the fireball-san

View Original PostLavinius wrote:My understanding is that Misa was good looking, being a model and all, but very immature with a voice like the tenth circle of hell. Light was sleeping with her, but only to keep her quiet. He never seemed at all enthused by her attentions.

I agree - with exception to your comment about her voice, on which I agree with Defectron in that it isn't her voice that is the issue but rather her immaturity in some scenes.

Also, to Bagheera and Ursus: Good posts, Gentlemen!
Voluntary Illusion.

Return to “Anime and Manga”