What are you currently playing? [3]

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:31 am

Have you already played MGR ssguy?
Sorry, but i have to ask people what they think about it....(I have it)
Because i haven't heard much positive opinions about it from some players. But i really like it.
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:39 am

View Original Postssguy wrote:YES.

If you have a PS3, get MGS1 on PSN, the HD collection and 4. Then, play the games in release order. MG1 and 2 for the MSX can be skipped, but you should at least read the plot summaries online. Both of those games are on the MGS3 main menu in the HD collection, so it's not like they're hard to find, and I do think they're really fantastic games.

Peace Walker came out after 4, but is on the HD collection. Don't play it until after 4. To be honest I didn't like it as much; it was originally a PSP game so instead of one big seamless level it's split into 2 or 3 minute levels. However, this does mean that there's lots of replayability, even after the main game is over. Oh, and chapter 5 is the epilogue chapter and really boring until the end, but goddamn you need to see the end.

I know pretty much everything about these games so feel free to ask. They usually have great easter eggs, with MGS3 being the king of easter eggs. No game is better than MGS3 in terms of this.

It's a shame you can't experience MGO. At least, not unless they bring it back.

Also, for the love of god get a smaller forum signature. It's larger than any of your posts.

Thanks for the advice!
I think I won't buy the HD Collection. My XBox 360 doesn't work, I don't have the PS3 and don't have money right now to buy it. I think I'll just buy the PS2 versions in eBay. Oh, and there are minigames (like the Ape Escape one) that aren't in the collection, and I want to have it all. About Metal Gear 1 and 2, I want to play them, and I downloaded them. I'll have them if I buy MGS3, so I think it's legal. The thing is, the version of MG in MGS3 hasn't got all the dialogue. Oh, and I LOVE easter eggs (I already saw the "Snake, you're badass" from MGS4). That's the reason I eant to play Snatcher and Policenauts, because there are easter eggs from those two games in MGS games. (Meryl is from Policenauts, and the music that appears with the Konami symbol is Policenaut's main theme). But how can you play those without downloading if you live in Spain?

Oh, and I'm not interested in MGS PO and MGR, they aren't Hideo Kojima games.

I´m not that interested in MGOnline either, but still it´s sad that the online experience ends.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:59 am

I don't know about MGOnline or the others, but in MGR Hideo was deeply involved in the project.(At the beginning he was working on it fully) Kojima and his team wrote the script, and made character designs, but the development of the actual game was moved to Platinum games because Kojima's team had problems with the game's cutting mechanism.
Also, fun fact: They changed the name of the game to "revengeance" because they wanted........Well, retribution when Kojima's team failed to develop it.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:05 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:I don't know about MGOnline or the others, but in MGR Hideo was deeply involved in the project.(At the beginning he was working on it fully) Kojima and his team wrote the script, and made character designs, but the development of the actual game was moved to Platinum games because Kojima's team had problems with the game's cutting mechanism.
Also, fun fact: They changed the name of the game to "revengeance" because they wanted........Well, retribution when Kojima's team failed.

Hm...I didn´t know that about MGR...Let´s what people think about it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

BlackberryMilk
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby BlackberryMilk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I didn't know there was any "noise" around Penumbra (except the noise I just made). I don't think I've ever really heard anything about it except as "the previous game by the guys who made Amnesia". As for Amnesia, what have you heard? In what way are you afraid it will be a letdown? That it won't be scary enough?

The couple of opinions right now in this topic on this game include a ringing endorsement and a much less enthusiastic one. Where do you rank it?

In the blogosphere, word of Penumbra and a few other horror games have been spread :] And that's how I learned about it (Youtube too). Amnesia then came to my attention from Steam.

I'm afraid it'll let me down in terms of the scare factor, and plot. A lot of people are putting it on a pedestal, saying it's scarier than most other survival horror.. Survival Horror is also one of my favorites because the attention to detail is there for the sole purpose of harboring fear in the player; so if those minute details aren't there I get let down.

TL;DR Im not a super big fan of a survival horror that only has cheap scares. Dead Space kind of walks that fine line for me.. And graphics never take much part in swaying me.

As for MGR, so far from what I've played the game mechanics feel super smooth for me, almost a little too smooth? You can definitely tell it's a jet fueled rocket ship to Kojima-land for newcomers. I'd give it a decent enough rating.
PSN: HTMLOL

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:57 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:I don't know about MGOnline or the others, but in MGR Hideo was deeply involved in the project.(At the beginning he was working on it fully) Kojima and his team wrote the script, and made character designs, but the development of the actual game was moved to Platinum games because Kojima's team had problems with the game's cutting mechanism.

There's more to it than that actually.

The issue was that Hideo was so involved in production when he didn't want to be. But the staff just couldn't get the right balance between hank-and-slash and stealth without him (I recall a quote with him saying he hadn't been so hands on with a MG game since Metal Gear Solid) - So they handed the project over to Platinum, which resulted in a very different game, basically removing all stealth elements Kojima Productions intended but couldn't get right.

Compare the early Metal Gear: Rising trailer with the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ones and you'll get my drift.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:There's more to it than that actually.

The issue was that Hideo was so involved in production when he didn't want to be. But the staff just couldn't get the right balance between hank-and-slash and stealth without him (I recall a quote with him saying he hadn't been so hands on with a MG game since Metal Gear Solid) - So they handed the project over to Platinum, which resulted in a very different game, basically removing all stealth elements Kojima Productions intended but couldn't get right.

Compare the early Metal Gear: Rising trailer with the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ones and you'll get my drift.

I didn't know that part about balancing things between stealth and hack-and-slash.....

But i know that Kojima wanted the stealth element remain there even when he gave the project to Platinum.

But Platinum found the stealth part dull. So they made it more action focused.
Also, they asked more freedom when creating it. Originally, the games plot was going to be focused on the events between MGS2 and MGS4 where it follows how Raiden becomes a cyborg ninja. But instead, they had to re-write it so that it would be a spin-off series for newbies, than a game between two other titles for HC players.

And, i know how different the game is compared to what it is know. (I have it.)
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:12 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!! Is it half as fun as it was at the arcade? Fuck so many quarters I must have spent on that game and it's sequel. I miss arcades (but my wallet doesn't).

Forgot to specify, I am playing Time Crisis: Project Titan. It's so cheesy, I'm loving it.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:41 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Forgot to specify, I am playing Time Crisis: Project Titan. It's so cheesy, I'm loving it.

Ah, it seems that was a Playstation only version so I can't say I've played it. Glad your enjoying it though.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:56 pm

For those that played MGR: Does the game continue the same butchering of Raiden's character that MGS4 and the trailers for Rising started? Because I hated that shit. It was like if Anno turned Shinji into John McClane.

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Anyone remember Gundam:Battle Assault for the PS1? found my copy today after having lost it somewhere in my closet, It still holds up today at least in my opinion.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:37 pm

View Original PostBlackberryMilk wrote:In the blogosphere, word of Penumbra and a few other horror games have been spread :] And that's how I learned about it (Youtube too). Amnesia then came to my attention from Steam.

What are these "few other horror games"? And have you heard about anything else recently that looks good?
I'm afraid it'll let me down in terms of the scare factor, and plot. A lot of people are putting it on a pedestal, saying it's scarier than most other survival horror.. Survival Horror is also one of my favorites because the attention to detail is there for the sole purpose of harboring fear in the player; so if those minute details aren't there I get let down.

I wrote some detailed impressions of my experience with Amnesia earlier in the topic if that helps. To summarize, I feel that Amnesia, while not as good a scare as I felt it had been promised to be, did a good job at several points making me genuinely tense, and a better job overall than anything I've played in years. It works best the less you know or understand about the game's underlying particulars, such as the rules for how the monsters behave or what they look like. In my particular case, I thought that the monsters were used very effectively because you can go the entire game without a good look at them, and that works very well on me because I was always afraid that their faces would terrify me because I have a weakness for scary faces. As far as horror games that require you to run and hide instead of fight go, it did the formula better than I've ever seen it.

What other kinds of horror games did you/do you enjoy? Specific titles, I mean.
TL;DR Im not a super big fan of a survival horror that only has cheap scares. Dead Space kind of walks that fine line for me.. And graphics never take much part in swaying me.

Walks the fine line how? As in, it walked the fine line on the border between decent and sucky-because-of-cheap-scares?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Thanks for the advice!
About Metal Gear 1 and 2, I want to play them, and I downloaded them. I'll have them if I buy MGS3, so I think it's legal.

It isn't, but no one cares. Be sure to get the MSX-2 versions. The NES version of one has a number of terrible changes and Kojima hates it, and 2 on the NES is a completely different game that's non-canon.

And you don't got to tell me about Psychonauts. I know that stuff. Man, that game had a lot of underage sex. Relatively speaking, I mean.

MGS3 is the king of easter eggs. You can wear a crocodile cap and pretend to be one in the swamp to scare guards, you can throw snakes at people to kill them, you can blow up food warehouses so that enemies are starving and get stunned more easily, you can give people poisoned food so they die, etc. There's even one easter egg where you can have a nightmare and play the demo to an unreleased game. Kojima didn't even know about that one until after release.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:34 am

View Original Postssguy wrote:It isn't, but no one cares. Be sure to get the MSX-2 versions. The NES version of one has a number of terrible changes and Kojima hates it, and 2 on the NES is a completely different game that's non-canon.

And you don't got to tell me about Psychonauts. I know that stuff. Man, that game had a lot of underage sex. Relatively speaking, I mean.

MGS3 is the king of easter eggs. You can wear a crocodile cap and pretend to be one in the swamp to scare guards, you can throw snakes at people to kill them, you can blow up food warehouses so that enemies are starving and get stunned more easily, you can give people poisoned food so they die, etc. There's even one easter egg where you can have a nightmare and play the demo to an unreleased game. Kojima didn't even know about that one until after release.

I knew about the NES version, because I saw the Angry Video Game Nerd review. :lol: Do you know him?

And Policenauts...must be pretty strange, but I'll play it. I also knew about the demo nightmare in MGS3, but Kojima didn't know? He's the director and still they put things in there without asking him?
Wow...
Well, I really want to play these games. And apparently the english dub is as good as the Japanese (doesn't usually happen). Was Kojima involved in the dub? I have seen a trailer that came with the Special Missions/VR missions disc, it was in Japanese, it was awesome, but the english version is too. I mean: David Hayter, Campbell's voice! They make any sentence epic. :lol:

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:And Policenauts...must be pretty strange, but I'll play it. I also knew about the demo nightmare in MGS3, but Kojima didn't know? He's the director and still they put things in there without asking him?

It's a Kojima game, of course it's strange.

And yeah, being the director of a product doesn't mean you actively see what every person does all the time. I've only worked on smaller applications, and even then the boss really wouldn't know what we were doing until we demoed it for him.

The English dub is superior to the Japanese dub. Metal Gear is a very western series, heavily inspired by American action movies. MGS1 is actually a deconstruction of them, and MGS2 is a deconstruction of MGS1. MGS3 is all about James Bond and MGS4 is 9 hours of cutscenes about nanomachines.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:09 am

View Original Postssguy wrote:It's a Kojima game, of course it's strange.

And yeah, being the director of a product doesn't mean you actively see what every person does all the time. I've only worked on smaller applications, and even then the boss really wouldn't know what we were doing until we demoed it for him.

The English dub is superior to the Japanese dub. Metal Gear is a very western series, heavily inspired by American action movies. MGS1 is actually a deconstruction of them, and MGS2 is a deconstruction of MGS1. MGS3 is all about James Bond and MGS4 is 9 hours of cutscenes about nanomachines.

:hahaha: I have often heard that joke about nanomachines. But is the 4th good?
Oh, and do you think The Phantom Pain is actually a Metal Gear?

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:25 am

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:For those that played MGR: Does the game continue the same butchering of Raiden's character that MGS4 and the trailers for Rising started? Because I hated that shit. It was like if Anno turned Shinji into John McClane.
Well the bit where Raiden picks up a Ray by the arm, throws it into the air, jumps like 200m into the air and slices the Ray into a dozen pieces was the opening of the game. Before he gets a massive upgrade. As such Raiden being ridiculously powerful is common throughout the game (well, whenever it suits the plot. He can be really strong or really weak at any given moment). Later on he spends a lot of time going "LET 'ER RIP" in a Quinton Flynn equivalent of the new Batman voice.

Raiden is the antithesis of everything he was in MGS2. In MGS2 he was a deconstruction of power fantasy seeking players who just wanted to shoot things as the badass hero they'd seen in Shadow Moses and now he's the most overpowered thing in Metal Gear canon. He has plenty more depth than your average over-powered video game character, sure, but he's still throwing Rays into the sky like it's nothing.

Honestly, after MGS4 I don't really care if they do stuff like this. There's no going back from what MGS4 did so they might as well have fun with the material until it stops making money or someone returns the series to the MGS1-3 days. Platinum makes great games, and this game is honestly like a parody or mockery of MGS2 and everything it did. Still, I like both games for what they do, even if Rising has major gameplay issues due to being quite rushed and a small number of bosses, with a lot of those not being up to Platinum's usual standard.

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote::hahaha: I have often heard that joke about nanomachines. But is the 4th good?
It shows a flaming Volgin and Psycho Mantis so it's highly likely, not to mention the name of the guy in charge of the fictional Moby Dick studios can be rearranged to spell Kojima Mogren, with Ogre being the new engine Kojima Productions has made.

Also, the white petal you see in the opening. If there's white petals and the guy looks like Big Boss and there's Volgin and Raikov and a kid Psycho Mantis and a horse and James Bond music and Joakim Mogren then you've got yourself an MGS game.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 am

TBH, I like the new Raiden. If a little cheesy and really Dante-like from the original DMC series, if they try to give him some more depth, he could really become something really cool, but also deep. Kojima did this well with Snake, I could see it happen again (without it being a copy of Snake).

Also, what type of name is "Revengeance" anyways? It sounds like something you'd name your gas-powered chainsaw after you broke your electric one on a 4in diameter sapling.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:58 pm

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:
It shows a flaming Volgin and Psycho Mantis so it's highly likely, not to mention the name of the guy in charge of the fictional Moby Dick studios can be rearranged to spell Kojima Mogren, with Ogre being the new engine Kojima Productions has made.

Also, the white petal you see in the opening. If there's white petals and the guy looks like Big Boss and there's Volgin and Raikov and a kid Psycho Mantis and a horse and James Bond music and Joakim Mogren then you've got yourself an MGS game.

And when they asked him about the game he laughed and said it had good graphics. And he also said that the character looking like Big Boss was coincidence. :shifty: Yeeeeeeah Kojima.

Also, after telling my friend about the game, he said (because of the Kojima cutscenes) something like "That's it. This is not a game, it's a fucking movie."
Kojimas dream come true. A cinematic experience of 20 hours, but it's not a series, it's one work, thanks to videogames. The only interactive part will be the menu...OK. I'm exagerating. And I love cutscenes. That's why I want to play the MG series.

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:17 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote::hahaha: I have often heard that joke about nanomachines. But is the 4th good?

It does a lot wrong but it does a lot right as well. Chapter 4 is so great. The entire game could have been a weird fetish video followed by Chapter 4 and I'd still say it was a fantastic game.

I don't think Phantom Pain is a Metal Gear game. I think people just want you to think that it is so you're really surprised when it isn't.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”