[NO SPOILERS] Evangelion 3.33 on Blu-ray and DVD April 24th

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:12 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:They'd better release it before I go on my one-month anime hiatus. I'll murder somebody if not.

Well, you can always move your hiatus few months forward. Even if you try, you will never be free of anime, even for a day. :tongue:
(Like i once tried to put :fap: on a hiatus for two weeks........Didn't work as planned..........)
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:13 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Well, you can always move your hiatus few months forward. :tongue:

I can't do that. I made a commitment in the departures thread; there's no changing it.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Would love to get it...
1) if it weren't for the high price due to importing and how things are priced over there
2) if I knew Japanese fluently.
Sadly for me, I have to wait longer for an American Company (likely Funimation again) to be able to distribute the film here with subtitles, dub, and whatnot.

Amitch1991
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch1991 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:48 am

i have 2 questions related to this topic :

1. Would a Japanese region DVD work in the UK ?

2.Does Amazon.co.jp ship to the UK ?

It would be great not to have to wait much longer for 3.33 in the UK
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Xbox Live Gamertag : Th3at3rofDr3ams

Facebook : www.facebook.com/BigDogAdz

Twitter : @RealAACentral

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:31 am

View Original PostAmitch1991 wrote:i have 2 questions related to this topic :

1. Would a Japanese region DVD work in the UK ?

2.Does Amazon.co.jp ship to the UK ?

It would be great not to have to wait much longer for 3.33 in the UK

1. If you buy it for Blu-Ray player/Playstation 3(?)

2. I don't know.
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:35 am

1) Yes - both are region 2 (for BD they are different regions, but the BD of Q is multi-region, so that's OK).

2) Yes - but many marketplace sellers do not, so check where the purchase is coming from. CDJapan also ships to the UK.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Amitch1991
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch1991 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:16 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:1) Yes - both are region 2 (for BD they are different regions, but the BD of Q is multi-region, so that's OK).

2) Yes - but many marketplace sellers do not, so check where the purchase is coming from. CDJapan also ships to the UK.

thanks for the help :)
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Xbox Live Gamertag : Th3at3rofDr3ams

Facebook : www.facebook.com/BigDogAdz

Twitter : @RealAACentral

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:44 am

What about the U.S.? Can a Japanese DVD work here?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:47 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:What about the U.S.? Can a Japanese DVD work here?

DVD? No.
Blu-Ray? Yes.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 am

DVD - depends on your DVD player. Most players can be unlocked with your remote control.

Just search your dvd player like "philips dvd player 2000" or whatever plus "code free". You will probably find a code with easy instructions to make it region free.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:06 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:DVD - depends on your DVD player. Most players can be unlocked with your remote control.

Just search your dvd player like "philips dvd player 2000" or whatever plus "code free". You will probably find a code with easy instructions to make it region free.

Already did this a while back. However, there are some DVDs that you can't play here no matter what, like ones from England. Those are recorded in PAL, and the USA plays NTSC. Japan has NTSC too, so we're lucky in that regard.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:10 pm

My DVD players handle both PAL and NTSC; I thought most did these days. Most UK music DVDs I buy are all-region NTSC, so dual-standard is expected here. I would expect the manufacturers to use the same dual-standard chips world-wide, rather than having different less-capable ones for the US.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:My DVD players handle both PAL and NTSC; I thought most did these days (Japanese DVD are R2 like UK, but NTSC like US). Most UK music DVDs I buy are all-region NTSC.

I'm not sure what you mean. Region coding and NTSC have nothing to do with one another; you can set a DVD player to play anything 1 through 6, but unless the disc was coded in NTSC it won't play on an American player. If you bought a UK player, it would play everything region 2 and whatever else you set it to play, but it would only be able to play PAL and not NTSC.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:14 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:My DVD players handle both PAL and NTSC; I thought most did these days. Most UK music DVDs I buy are all-region NTSC, so dual-standard is expected here. I would expect the manufacturers to use the same dual-standard chips world-wide, rather than having different less-capable ones for the US.

My old DVD- and new BD-player can handle NTSC and PAL as well. I (region 2) have a few DVDs from Japan and the USA.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:16 pm

What I am saying is that UK players have to handle NTSC as well as PAL, and I wouldn't expect the US to be supplied with different, less-capable players. Why should the Chinese factories bother making twice as many different chips? IOW, I am surprised that you have a player that can't handle PAL - are you actually sure of that?

(edit) Looking at a thread elsewhere from nearly five years ago, it listed seven US-bought DVD players, of which even then five played PAL OK. The two that didn't were expensive ones (i.e. not cheap Chinese imports), but I doubt that matters now.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Actually guys, maybe I'm just stupid with regions. But under Product Details, it says 3.33 is All Regions.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Yes, the BD is all regions, but the DVD is not (note also that BD and DVD regions are in any case quite different). It seems a curious way to go about it.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:56 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Yes, the BD is all regions, but the DVD is not (note also that BD and DVD regions are in any case quite different). It seems a curious way to go about it.

*Checks 3.33 DVD and compares to 3.33 BD*

Gasp! You're right. That's very odd, what's the point in making the DVD Region specific? Or is it just easier to make BD's region free?

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:34 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Gasp! You're right. That's very odd, what's the point in making the DVD Region specific? Or is it just easier to make BD's region free?

BDs are more modern and so the system got kinda abolished, but region codes were also a way of stopping you from importing films for less money from other countries.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:49 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:BDs are more modern and so the system got kinda abolished, but region codes were also a way of stopping you from importing films for less money from other countries.

That's ridiculous, imports cost just as much as the blood of your first born child. I don't see how importing the film from other countries makes it more cheap unless you're getting it from China, but by then you're not even going to get the real movie.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”