[NO SPOILERS] Evangelion 3.33 on Blu-ray and DVD April 24th

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:34 pm

I don't speak Japanese, but will add subs on my computer.

I am buying rather than just downloading, because I wish to support the continuation of the market in physical media (and in the production of films in the first place). Also as a penance for downloading the camrip...

And sometimes things are just nice to have - like, I have the latest volume of the manga in the Japanese edition with extras. And though I can't read the writing, the pictures benefit from good printing on better paper than the Viz volumes (though the new 3-in-1 volumes are also on good paper).

OK, I'm a little crazy; but I can afford to be.
Last edited by pwhodges on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:38 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I don't speak Japanese, but will add subs on my computer.

I don't know if you CAN add subs to a Blu-ray. I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Not to the disk, obviously (at least, I don't have a BD burner) - but I can do that on my computer, and watch it from there (at full resolution, if I want). I've done it before.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Are the people that are ordering the Japanese versions fluent in the language, or simply doing it for the sentimental value?

Sentimental value, and the packages look and feel so good. Haptics, you know? :)

Fifth
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fifth » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:59 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Not to the disk, obviously (at least, I don't have a BD burner) - but I can do that on my computer, and watch it from there (at full resolution, if I want). I've done it before.

About that...
How does one go about doing this? I'm also considering pre-ordering the BD but I wouldn't be able to understand much :lol:.
oh yes

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Sentimental value, and the packages look and feel so good. Haptics, you know? :)

I agree with this, especially considering the fact that FUNimation only really tried with the 1.11 packaging. 2.22 looks good from a distance, but fails upon closer inspection. The Japanese releases are consistent, plain, to the point, and cool.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am

How is it that 2.22's packaging "fails upon closer inspection"?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 am

View Original PostFifth wrote:How does one go about doing this?

Basically, I fiddle around with the programs I have until I get what I want.

To rip from BD to HD with no change, I use Slysoft's AnyDVD-HD. I can play the files using VideoLan VLC - but it has to be a beta version, as the release version doesn't handle Blu-ray files or disks yet. I transcode into mkv or mp4 format using Handbrake (again, a beta to get BD functionality). If subtitles are available in a suitable format, they can be put in the same directory as a video file, with a matching name, and VLC will find them automatically; or maybe they can be muxed in with the video using mkvmerge (once an mkv file has been generated), or burned in as hard subtitles using Handbrake again (that enables watching on an iPad or iPhone using the standard player).

I find some care is needed to avoid going down blind alleys and wasting time; but I was able, for instance, to take the English dub track of the Manga release EoE and add it to the Renewal version of the video from the Italian release (I used Machete to cut the extra length from the start of the longer one so that they synched).

I'm sure other people do this quite differently, and may even point out that I'm doing it inefficiently.

transcendent12
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby transcendent12 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Basically, I fiddle around with the programs I have until I get what I want.

To rip from BD to HD with no change, I use Slysoft's AnyDVD-HD. I can play the files using VideoLan VLC - but it has to be a beta version, as the release version doesn't handle Blu-ray files or disks yet. I transcode into mkv or mp4 format using Handbrake (again, a beta to get BD functionality). If subtitles are available in a suitable format, they can be put in the same directory as a video file, with a matching name, and VLC will find them automatically; or maybe they can be muxed in with the video using mkvmerge (once an mkv file has been generated), or burned in as hard subtitles using Handbrake again (that enables watching on an iPad or iPhone using the standard player).

I find some care is needed to avoid going down blind alleys and wasting time; but I was able, for instance, to take the English dub track of the Manga release EoE and add it to the Renewal version of the video from the Italian release (I used Machete to cut the extra length from the start of the longer one so that they synched).

I'm sure other people do this quite differently, and may even point out that I'm doing it inefficiently.

I'd say this is pretty inefficient:
a) VLC not the best renderer
b) Quite rightly, blu ray play back on PCs is pretty convoluted and limited in player choice
c)transcoding with hand brake loses quality.
d) While transcoding has to be done until official subs come out, proper release groups do it way way better than us people (they don't use handbrake for one)
e) All that said, you definitely get some satisfaction from actually using your own Japanese release copy...
f) All in all your greatest possible experience will come from: Buy Japanese for cool factor -> download proper release to play on your TV/PC -> buy funimation to play on TV/PC with reference quality, menus etc.
g) alternatively, pay khara/publishers so much money that they make an official eng subbed version with the Japanese box specially for you
h) put the funimation release in the Japanese case and throw funimation box away.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:28 am

That's overcomplicating things

-Copy BD to HDD (with prefered software that get you around anti-consumer garbage)
-play with MPC-HC and it can add subs or audio streams on playback

That's it. No messy transcoding or remuxing needed.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:13 am

I'm pretty sure this is old news but I guess its now clear that the 1st press releases for the blu ray and dvd will only have the 3.0 OST included with the movie. No film strips or other bonus materials from what we can gather so far. And anyways...these films are now shown from a digital harddrive. Nobody prints these films out in physical film reels anymore!

[url]http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIXA-290[/url]

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:-play with MPC-HC and it can add subs or audio streams on playback

I don't know that one - thanks.

That's it. No messy transcoding or remuxing needed.

Except that I routinely watch on other devices for which it is required.
Last edited by pwhodges on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Based off of the previous 1.11 and 2.22 releases, how do the Hong Kong versions compare to the Japanese and Funi releases, in terms of packaging, image/sound quality, price and translations?

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:42 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:How is it that 2.22's packaging "fails upon closer inspection"?

The orange box can be damaged very easily. My 2.22 box came with some white scratch marks that are unnoticeable from a distant but makes the cover look very bad as you take a closer look at it. The DVD case inside the orange cover is just a typical BD case where 1.11 was like a book with simple art on it. Not to mention the cover for the BD case wasn't really interesting, the front was just Mari with Evangelion 2.22 on it, and the back was the same as the back of the orange cover. Overall, it wasn't that great.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:21 pm

You're right about the slip cover being able to become scratched easily. That definitely shouldn't be happening.

I still like the art design myself though.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:36 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:I still like the art design myself though.

It's not as bad as I'm making it out to be I guess, but 1.11 still had a better design.

Toonsis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Toonsis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Regarding 3.33 getting licensed by FUNi.

On estimate, how long do you think they have the license and start working on it before they make an actual announcement on acquiring it?

I'd absolutely love to be hopeful on an NA release by December-ish, because that would be a full 8 months after the Japan home release, but would never consider holding my breath.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:38 pm

^ Funimation has been sitting on their asses for a while now watching other companies like Sentai Film Works pick up anime licenses left and right. I wouldn't hold my breath on a speedy Funimation release for 3.0, assuming they even get the license to the film's north american release. Funimation really is getting lazy these days. I haven't seen any good announcements from them about new and upcoming anime releases for a while now. They seem content to make money on the old licenses they already have instead of getting new ones....

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:11 pm

It was bad enough that EoE got licensed by a different company from NGE; if NME got split between two companies, that would be a definition of crazy.

Toonsis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Toonsis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Don't even say that. It was bad enough having every other co-star and minor character change aside from Asuka, Shinji, and Misato, via voice actor.
Being split between 2 companies would be beyond terrible.

I can't imagine FUNi would let this slip through their company fingers. I also imagine no one can outbid them, and they have first dibs. I strongly want to believe they've got some contract to the future releases, but know that more than likely isn't true.

Announcing they have it 4 months after its been released, then releasing it 4 months after that isn't so crazy, is it?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”