Asuka's role in 3.0 & Beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:47 pm

[quote="CJD#588750"]
SPOILER: Show

This. Only because it'd be a tremendously powerful thematic device to show Asuka's hidden pining for Shinji after all these years (if she even does). I still think that if Anno had the balls to have Shinji wacking it in EOE, he could feasibly do so with Asuka in Final.

But then again, Anno '97 was probably in a much different place mentally than Anno '12.

He's probably also less sex-deprived.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:27 am

After Near-4I, how come Asuka doesn't go back to Wille with Mari? Instead she heads off into the wilderness with Shinji and ReiQ. Shoudln't her first priority be to hand Shinji (the Impact trigger) and ReiQ (member of Nerv) over to Wille?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:44 am

When she ejected from her Eva she had no control of where she'd land, Mari didn't have to eject so she threw herself somewhere the Wunder could reach her afterwards. Asuka holds out some kind of detector in the end and says that the levels of I don't know what in that place are too high for them to come for her, so she has to go to them instead of waiting for rescue.

Olmer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olmer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:36 am

Asuka holds out some kind of detector in the end and says that the levels of I don't know what in that place are too high for them to come for her, so she has to go to them instead of waiting for rescue.

That's actually one of the most interesting things for me to think about regarding 3.0 now. I suspect that they're in a place, where you'd normally need a special suit to enter (like the one that Shinji was wearing when Kaworu led him to see the results of the Impact). The fact that nobody in the scene needs it (and that Asuka refers to humans as "Lilim") would support the idea that pilots aren't really humans anymore.
Of course Shinji has no idea that the contamination (or whatever prevents people from entering) won't harm him, so he's given the suit anyway...

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 am

View Original PostOlmer wrote:That's actually one of the most interesting things for me to think about regarding 3.0 now. I suspect that they're in a place, where you'd normally need a special suit to enter (like the one that Shinji was wearing when Kaworu led him to see the results of the Impact). The fact that nobody in the scene needs it (and that Asuka refers to humans as "Lilim") would support the idea that pilots aren't really humans anymore.
Of course Shinji has no idea that the contamination (or whatever prevents people from entering) won't harm him, so he's given the suit anyway...

Then again, there was always the implication that there's something fundamentally different about people born after or having been in utero during Second Impact... and that being an EVA pilot fundamentally alters one after a while. Even back in the original, Shinji just couldn't get the LCL stench washed off anymore after a while...

The sad thing is, the thought of having turned into... something would probably freak him out if he wasn't busy vacantly staring into the distance because there's so many other things he can't process right now.

Or maybe people like them are "the next step", the beginning of evolution towards something that can survive in that blood-caked wasteland?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:15 pm

View Original PostOlmer wrote:That's actually one of the most interesting things for me to think about regarding 3.0 now. I suspect that they're in a place, where you'd normally need a special suit to enter (like the one that Shinji was wearing when Kaworu led him to see the results of the Impact). The fact that nobody in the scene needs it (and that Asuka refers to humans as "Lilim") would support the idea that pilots aren't really humans anymore.

That scene cemented how stupid Shinji is, i mean, here is this creppy boy who doesnt know personal boundaries has the same eyes as Rei, and some creepy rape smile walking without protection in a hazardous enviroment and you just follow him around ? EEESH.

at no point during the movie it is made clear if Shinji know kaworu is not human or at very least different, plus the magic spell. Shinji was relutant to go to evas, then kaworu says something and Shinji just jump to the conclusion that he must be right,lmao !

btw i like your theory as i wrote here before something similar.
ANATA BAKA !?

skeletor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby skeletor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:04 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:Does anyone have any theory on Asuka saying,we need to go where the LILIN are ? the only other character to refer to humans as lilins is kaworu,and we all know what he was.

I think she was speaking to Rei III and explaining it to her in terms that she would understand, like an adult speaks to a child. This is just speculation though.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Okay I've been thinking, and I got three words for you. Giant Naked Asuka. I mean we've had plenty of Giant Naked Rei's. It's Asuka's turn to be the harbinger of our destruction/asscenision.

Actually that's not as random as I first thought. What with all the speculations about the girls having Nami in their names, or that Asuka's an angel. Plus it'd kinda neat to see.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Okay I've been thinking, and I got three words for you. Giant Naked Asuka. I mean we've had plenty of Giant Naked Rei's. It's Asuka's turn to be the harbinger of our destruction/asscenision.

Actually that's not as random as I first thought. What with all the speculations about the girls having Nami in their names, or that Asuka's an angel. Plus it'd kinda neat to see.

No it wouldn't. It'd mean her permanent death, which would completely suck.

Anyway, Rei and Lilith are still connected here so I don't think it's too plausible. I really doubt they'd go the lazy already-done-that route of having a giant naked anyone going around collecting souls, anyway, though. EoE already exists. If Final is just EoE again, there was no point to any of this other than "give me your moneys".
Last edited by esselfortium on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 pm

View Original Postskeletor wrote:I think she was speaking to Rei III and explaining it to her in terms that she would understand, like an adult speaks to a child. This is just speculation though.

Rei Q never calls humans "Lilin", and, even if she did, how would Asuka know, and decide to make such a weird word selection on account of it? Does Asuka even give that much of a damn what Rei Q thinks?

Doubtful. Given the glowing blue eye, and the fact that she is unharmed by the "L Barrier" (which is preventing Wunder's crew from providing assistance), Asuka's use of "Lilin" is clearly meant to tell us something about herself.

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:It'd mean her permanent death, which would completely suck.

...or would it? :chuckles:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:50 pm

i dont think theres going to be a giant naked anything....this isnt Eoe...and it wont be anything like Eoe....as for Asuka possibly dying...maybe....but will it be permanent? i doubt it.

skeletor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby skeletor » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:38 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Rei Q never calls humans "Lilin", and, even if she did, how would Asuka know, and decide to make such a weird word selection on account of it? Does Asuka even give that much of a damn what Rei Q thinks?

Ah, that makes sense.

I guess I was thinking that because Asuka clearly knows Rei is a clone, maybe she also knows that humans are from Lilith (having been informed of various information in the years post Near Third Impact). It could be common knowledge to people in their field 14 years in the future. Maybe there is a distinction between clones and "Lilin" since clones are made by man from man instead of being from Lilith and Asuka intended to emphasize that when speaking to a clone. Rei Q might just be obtuse enough to need the distinction drawn, who knows?

Like I said I was just speculating because the scene is really full of weird moments. Like why would Rei Q even decide to approach them? Ostensibly she knows that Asuka is at best unfriendly and at worst an enemy.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Doubtful. Given the glowing blue eye, and the fact that she is unharmed by the "L Barrier" (which is preventing Wunder's crew from providing assistance), Asuka's use of "Lilin" is clearly meant to tell us something about herself.

I am not convinced that the "L Barrier" is harmful to humans and that pilots are somehow not human anymore. I think it is plausible, but that other plausible explanations exist. It could be that it simply interferes with communications and would make any attempt at coordinating a rescue impossible.

I do think that the glowing blue eye is a good hint that Asuka may be part Angel now. The idea that she is a trigger in 4.0 seems to fit and that would be a convenient explanation as to how she could be one.

You guys definitely have some interesting ideas.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:48 am

View Original Postskeletor wrote:I am not convinced that the "L Barrier" is harmful to humans and that pilots are somehow not human anymore.

The pilots have a lot going against them, what with the whole "Curse of Eva" thing implied to be the follow-up to Ritsuko's blather about high plug depth threats to one's humanity from 2.0. It's accumulating evidence, not just any one thing.

The "L Barrier", being something only mentioned once so far, can naturally lend itself to multiple possible explanations. I think the idea that it somehow "blocks out" Lilin has potential, since it would go a long ways toward explaining why Wille hasn't taken anywhere near as much action against Nerv as we might expect.

Far as Asuka being a trigger in 4.0 goes... Eh, they put Asuka in the position of possibly triggering something back in 2.0, and nothing came of it. Nothing has happened in the fourteen years since, either. I don't think the story is interested in going down that path.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 am

View Original Postskeletor wrote:I do think that the glowing blue eye is a good hint that Asuka may be part Angel now. The idea that she is a trigger in 4.0 seems to fit and that would be a convenient explanation as to how she could be one.

Mari and Shinji have had the glowing eye thing going on at different times. I'd say it has more to do with the Evas than Angels.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:22 am

L-barrier is actually mentioned twice, first ritsuko is concerned about getting the wunder bird airborn due to L-barrier around the ship,maybe wunder at field was assisting the people working on the bridge ?
then Asuka mentions it in the end.

Mari eyes glow in beast mode, Shinji glows BEFORE going beserk pre god mode when the eva had no power, and i think Shinji is the biggest question mark, since we dont know if the eva went beserker becouse of mommy or Shinji will in 1.0, we were not given the eye poping reflection in the window scene,plus mari comments in two instances that Shinji is special or different.

About Rei going to them, my thoughts watching was her desire to be with ikari kun, maybe some vestigious of yui data, when she chops mark 4 heads, she says it was on order with typical anime shamefull emote,head low, dark patch on eyes,as if she regretted it.
ANATA BAKA !?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Okay I've been thinking, and I got three words for you. Giant Naked Asuka. I mean we've had plenty of Giant Naked Rei's. It's Asuka's turn to be the harbinger of our destruction/asscenision.

Well, as I said here, Asuka can somehow make her left eye glow in a small blue cross-shape outside of Beast Mode: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13654/SPOILERSAsukas-Left-Eye-in-30/20/#589945

But there will be forever be an army of people who believe it's the fabric of her eyepatch and whatnot.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:49 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:But there will be forever be an army of people who believe it's the fabric of her eyepatch and whatnot.

I suspect it's only me, actually - but I haven't changed my mind yet!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:38 pm

For a major character whose development got the "shaft" (once again) in 3.0, Asuka totally dominated, as well as kicked ass, in virtually all the scenes she appeared in. It's also no coincidence, IMHO, some of the best action scenes in the film featured her and Unit 02. I could empathize with her frustration at Shinji's dumb-assery (who happens to be someone I like more than her, as a character). It also was nice to see her show "affection" toward her Eva, apologizing to it for having to blow it up. Nice contrast to the "you're just my puppet" mindset she had in episode 22 in NGE.

Did I mention how awesome it was to see her in beast mode? Kyoko would be proud. I like Pirate Shinkinami a lot.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Mari and Shinji have had the glowing eye thing going on at different times. I'd say it has more to do with the Evas than Angels.

This. The Evas' onboard displays are able to identify both the 12th and 13th Angels during the final battle, and the Nemesis units earlier. There are four Evas in the climax, and not one of them picks up an Angelic reading on Asuka or Unit 02. Whatever's going on with it, it doesn't seem to be dangerous in the Angel way, even if it is the side-effect of one.

That, and I seriously doubt Misato would let Asuka anywhere near an Eva if there was a remote chance her condition could cause trouble.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:32 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:No it wouldn't. It'd mean her permanent death, which would completely suck.

Giant Naked Asuka was a joke. Although just imagining what would happen makes me grin.
"Shini you BAKA!" GNA starts Chasing Shinji in Unit-01 to beat him up.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”