FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Will he continue with the rewrite?

In the end, we write fan fiction for fun. If it's not fun, why bother?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:56 pm

No idea but it's definitely not going to happen anytime soon.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Well, that sucks but I can't say it's surprising.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:30 pm

View Original PostRommel wrote:Well, that sucks but I can't say it's surprising.

Maybe it's a matter of particular tastes and preferences, but it baffles me that your work doesn't receive the same level of attention as a S&WH40K or Nobody Dies.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:03 pm

What a waste. He could have at least ended it with a "FUCK YOU" conclusion.

Fanfiction of fanfiction isn't an ending.
Last edited by Clover on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:What a waste. He could have at least ended it with a "FUCK YOU" conclusion.

There's already a story called "Everybody Dies", though.

I haven't actually read it. ND and its outriggers were never my cup of tea.
Last edited by Chuckman on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the prophecy is true

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Maybe it's a matter of particular tastes and preferences, but it baffles me that your work doesn't receive the same level of attention as a S&WH40K or Nobody Dies.

I don't know. If by attention you mean getting the author to hate his own story so much he'd rather never touch it again I'm not sure it's a good thing. I didn't particularly like Nobody Dies, but the problem really is that I guarantee for all the people giving him shit about it there were probably a few that did like it and just couldn't be assed tell him.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:04 am

Not at all surprising. Between the way I felt after reading up to wherever it left off a year ago and what the author has been saying on this forum, I can't imagine that shit was much fun for anyone there at the end.

And I suppose I can comprehend people attacking the author's characterizations. Nobody Dies as it stands is fucking twice as long as Moby Dick. Its hard to stay consistent (in character, form, theme... anything) over that period of time. Characterization can drift on you, and unless you want to re-chart their progression every time you sit down to write (which in this case is practically impossible) you can end up with something that people who have read the work all in one piece don't recognize (think about pretty much any franchise book series ever, Star Wars EU in particular... though Nobody Dies is now going on eight of those books in length). Add to that your unrealized plans, deleted scenes, and massive rewrites, and pretty much any characterization is a huge fucking mess that flies because the readers don't know any better.

tl;dr blah blah blah organic blah blah not getting paid anything so why put up with all the crazy!fan shit blah blah blah
The Weaver - Shinji and a Mad Spider God.
The Foregone Conclusion - Two years into a seemingly endless Angel War.
Wake Up, Ikari! - Wake. The Fuck. UP.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.
Beneath, Shinji deals with a ten-year timeskip.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:58 am

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Nobody Dies as it stands is fucking twice as long as Moby Dick.

Jesus. And I thought my story was getting long.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

WithinBloom
Embryo

Postby WithinBloom » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:19 am

Nobody Dies is actually being updated in tiny bits on spacebattles as of Tuesday. Not sure how much he's got done, but it seems really interesting so far. :w00:
"I demand one million helicopters and one dollar." - Kei Ayanami, Nobody Dies

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:43 am

View Original PostRommel wrote:I don't know. If by attention you mean getting the author to hate his own story so much he'd rather never touch it again I'm not sure it's a good thing. I didn't particularly like Nobody Dies, but the problem really is that I guarantee for all the people giving him shit about it there were probably a few that did like it and just couldn't be assed tell him.

As a general rule, people who dislike something will be more vocal than people who liked it. That is, a person with a strong negative reaction is more likely to express it. So has been my experience.
the prophecy is true

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:22 pm

View Original PostWithinBloom wrote:Nobody Dies is actually being updated in tiny bits on spacebattles as of Tuesday. Not sure how much he's got done, but it seems really interesting so far. :w00:

Will we see it return to FF.net, though?

WithinBloom
Embryo

Postby WithinBloom » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:32 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:Will we see it return to FF.net, though?

Remains to be seen I guess.

I personally don't mind chasing stuff, and finding it around the web in different places such as COAEG's ending and all that. I'm just happy it's getting written again.
"I demand one million helicopters and one dollar." - Kei Ayanami, Nobody Dies

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:53 pm

As much as Greg has my sympathies for still being pestered about it, he could/should have known better (and if he did, he obviously underestimated it). Reset Buttons are generally disliked and "It was all a dream" has got to be the most despised of them all, given its global and all too sudden nature. It comes out of nowhere, cutting off any development.
To be fair, I don't remember it that well since I was already only reading it on and off at that point, so when he says the character development was kept intact by having everyone remember it might be true in a way, it could even give the development a push when they reflect on their decisions in the dream. But even then that would still be a forced, sudden change they'd have to deal with, not a natural progression.
And what about other development, ie plot? Again, I honestly don't remember well if it was the case with ND, so this is more generally speaking. But if you have plot developments, teases and hints of things to come, mysteries waiting to be resolved, things that the reader is looking forward to - and then they go nowhere, not even because they were red herrings but because they never existed. So unless you have everything wrapped up and want to start a whole new storyline, it's basically a kick in the balls for all readers who liked the way things were going. If you want to retcon your story, do it slow, subtle, bit by bit, at the very least as little "offensive" as possible.

tl;dr: never ever do "it was all dream" copouts unless you have a very, very good idea what to do with it.

Regarding Chuckman's original question, I think most people agree that there is some form of attraction between Shinji and Kaworu, even if one may argue its nature. I'm willing to say that you'd probably risk more flak for changing his gender than for having them romancing it up a a bit. If it makes you uncomfortable though, you may want to ask yourself: Does it have to be Kaworu? You could have the classic triangle with Asuka and Rei, non-canon but official Mana and Mayumi, Hikari can easily take an emphatic role, Mari is still a mostly blank sheet but certainly shares a certain directness, you could even go for an original character as long as you flesh her out enough. Of course they all have their own problems in regards to fandom acceptance though. But that's just the thing, isn't it? You can never please everyone. Especially when it comes to pairings.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:52 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm afraid the fanbase will rebel against me if I depict Shinji as even bisexual, much less gay.

The fanbase should be ready to accept the truth: Shinji Ikari is a desprisexual. If you'll give him emotional intimacy he'll do whatever you want. Lets all pause for a moment and reflect how lucky we are that Pen^2 expressive range does not include "compassionate understanding."
Last edited by arkiel on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:how lucky we are
Heh

SPOILER: Show
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Super glad I opened that during class.

I've got a rough draft of some Sack Cat shenanigans in TFC that culminate in a Shinji-form Sack Cat dancing to "Moves Like Jagger" with a hundred Sack Cat backup dancers. Apparently the multiversal consensus is that Shinji is bisexual. I'm playing it like this is an error, but I really don't think it is.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby EvaBrothers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:09 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Apparently the multiversal consensus is that Shinji is bisexual.

When I first watched the TV series I thought he was straight... but then all that blushing and being shy around Kaworu in ep. 24 made up my mind that Shinji really is bisexual.

Or maybe he just gets all the love and affection he can find, since he's received so little in his life.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm afraid the fanbase will rebel against me if I depict Shinji as even bisexual, much less gay.

I never got around to it in an actual fanfic (only my long defunct http://ikarishinji2015.tumblr.com/ interactive fanfic/RP thing), but IMO bisexual Shinji is an interesting angle. In my case I went with him crushing on both Kaworu and Asuka. He ended up with Asuka but there was still tons of internal--this being Shinji--and external conflict before and after he made his choice.

I doubt there will be much backlash--we bisexuals aren't portrayed all that much in media, whether it is positively or negatively.

FWIW, I don't write fanfics anymore (various reasons) but those are my thoughts.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
FWIW, I don't write fanfics anymore (various reasons) but those are my thoughts.

It's a shame really, cause you're a pretty good writer, considering your work.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Return to “Fanfiction”