Seele Monoliths

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Seele Monoliths

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 pm

In the T.V. series of Evangelion, the Seele monoliths were pretty nondescript. They simply had the number and mode of conversation. However, something changes about them in RoE. Specifically, on the back of the monoliths. Whereas before they were solid black, they now have images. One was of particular interest to me: a representation of the Pythagorean theorem. Image
Why is this symbol on the back of the Seele monoliths? One popular idea about the symbol in general is that it should be made visible from outer space to signify intelligent life on earth. This theory makes no sense as pertaining to the Evaverse, so what is it doing on Seele's backs?

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:05 pm

What? I never even noticed the Seele monoliths got tattoos. Where exactly did you see it?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:07 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:What? I never even noticed the Seele monoliths got tattoos. Where exactly did you see it?

Evangelion 1.0. There's a scene where Gendo is conversing with them, and they show a back shot of one of the monoliths. I'm sorry that I can't point you closer in the right direction, but somebody I lent my copy of 1.0 to lost the DVD. I'm in the process of acquiring a new one, and then I can post the exact time.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm

That's fine, I just saw it at about 23 minites in but apparently they all have the same symbol on their backs.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:19 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:That's fine, I just saw it at about 23 minutes in but apparently they all have the same symbol on their backs.

Yes, I know this. Sorry if I gave a different impression. Anyway, what is it doing there? I've been researching ever since I posted, and I'm coming up empty.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Who knows? Knowing Eva it's very likely we'll never get an answer.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:28 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Who knows? Knowing Eva it's very likely we'll never get an answer.

Knowing Eva, it's very likely there's some very esoteric meaning that is buried deep within religious symbolism in the dark and twisted labyrinth of Hideaki Anno's brain, that we will only find out when Reichu has another period of her revalations or until somebody else cracks and begins spilling Evangelion knowledge from their pores. It just means that I have to watch Evangelion really, really hard after I have finals in a few weeks. Perhaps I should pursue a career as a Hikikomori.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 pm

The Pythagoreans were known for the notion that numbers represent the true nature of things, and for purification rites with the intent of facilitating the transmigration of the soul to join a higher being.

They also believed that the soul is limited by the physical form, which creates a conflict between the needs of the body and the true divinity of the disembodied soul.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Which sounds a lot like most of their mythology babble about rites.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Was originally brought up by Zuggy, he's since deleted his posts about it but I brought it back up here: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/190942/Seele-monoliths-reverse-sign/#190942

The free mason's link is too old so use archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/20081221202058/http://masonicdictionary.com/47.html

You can probably find a bunch of other random things about it if you search the forums for "Free mason"

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Chuckman, that is perfect.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:31 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Was originally brought up by Zuggy, he's since deleted his posts about it but I brought it back up here: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/190942/Seele-monoliths-reverse-sign/#190942

The free mason's link is too old so use archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/20081221202058/http://masonicdictionary.com/47.html

You can probably find a bunch of other random things about it if you search the forums for "Free mason"

Looking at this, I see several occult symbols. The mark in the central pythagorean triangle implies the eye in the pyramid. It looks like there's a pi symbol to the left, and there's a trio of triangles through the center of the diagram, surmounted by the square, which is another important figure in pythagorean math. I can't make out the other symbols. I'll have to bust out the blu ray sometime and see if I can figure out what they are.

The eye in the pyramid in the center over the lower checkeboard resembles a Freemason's ceremonial apron, as well.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Can someone post a good image of the symbol here? All of the relevant images in that thread that Ornette linked have been removed.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:35 pm

So basically Seele IS the Illuminati. Bob won't be liking this...
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 pm

View Original PostAnonymous_Evafan wrote:So basically Seele IS the Illuminati. Bob won't be liking this...

Who?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Bob BQ. He didn't like it when the CI basically said Seele was the Illuminati because it was lazy and uninspired.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:43 pm

They're nothing at all like the Bavarian Illuiminati. The fictional Illuminati are just short hand for "Big Bad Background Conspiracy" so they do fit that mold.

Seele are pretty much a western esoteric order, down to the way they're organized and the symbols and language they use.
the prophecy is true

DeadClones
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DeadClones » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:14 am

Sorry about the poor quality, I was rewatching it on some unreputable website to see the symbols in question.

SPOILER: Show
I used to really enjoy swimming pools... until I saw the pool of Rei clones get disintegrated.

Can I get that feature in my pool?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:45 am

In 3.0,
SPOILER: Show
The monoliths appear to actually be sentient entities.
That's just creepy beyond all belief.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Nice Find!
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”