Where do the angels come from?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Either way... B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:02 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:Ancient race ? FAR.....you guys are just making this up, where does anno say any of this.

Trolling, I presume, but if not.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:05 pm

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:18 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It is made explicit in the material he supplied for the NGE2 game, the so-called "Classified Information"; after having been implied by use of standard genre conventions in episode 21.

i didnt understood you very well, this material comes with the game ? is presented in the game, or was made as guide for the game. Cos i can see this being invalidaded as non cannon.
ANATA BAKA !?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:01 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:i didnt understood you very well, this material comes with the game ? is presented in the game, or was made as guide for the game. Cos i can see this being invalidaded as non cannon.

You're in the wrong thread. The information you're looking for is in the first 2 paragraphs of the wiki page linked to from here.

Why is Classified Information accepted as gospel?
Reconsidering the NGE2 PS(2/P) Game's Canonicity

Go there if you plan on continuing.

merri
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby merri » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm pretty sure the Angels were made by underpaid, underfed animators somewhere...
No magic involved it that. xD

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:You're in the wrong thread. The information you're looking for is in the first 2 paragraphs of the wiki page linked to from here.

Why is Classified Information accepted as gospel?
Reconsidering the NGE2 PS(2/P) Game's Canonicity

Go there if you plan on continuing.

wow, i didnt even know there was a discussion on the subject.i was just asking him to clarify his post,jeez.
ANATA BAKA !?

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Okay so I know there are canon answers that contradict the thought that the Angels in Evangelion are like angels in the bible, but... is it really possible to ignore the man-overcoming-God subtext in NERV/SEELE destroying the Angels who have biblical names and such? Someone should, like, come up with a "Satanic" interpretation of it one of these days, if just because it'd bring the lulz.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm

View Original PostBorn of Lilith wrote:man-overcoming-God subtext

Uh, dude, have you seen EoE :sweatdrop: ? I mean, that whole thing's blatantly blasphemous. Shinji, a mere human, decides that he doesn't want Instrumentality and kills Lilith (God) on a whim.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Seiya
Embryo

Who Sends the Angels?

•      
  •      

Postby Seiya » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:49 pm

I Think Seel does
Seel send Kaworu to Nerv ...
that was already an angel and Seele knew it all the time
But why?
[center]Have you Ever Felt Your Cosmo?
[/center]

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:13 pm

No one sends the Angels. Upon waking up, they come to Tokyo-3 on their own in search of their mother, Adam. Kaworu is the lone exception to this.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:00 am

Weren't their "seeds" spread around after second impact? If that's the case, they come from Adam itself.

GetOvaDaBridge
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GetOvaDaBridge » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:58 am

Nobody. They arrive to Tokyo-3 on their own accord to attempt to breach NERV HQ, to merge with Adam to cause Third Impact with the intention of wiping out their enemy, the Lilin (mankind), or (according to the classified information in NGE2) intentionally want to fuse with Lilith to reset life (IDK why) prior to Adams arrival in Ep. 08.

And Kaworu is the exception, he was sent there to fulfil Seele's plans of their own version of Instrumentality.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:57 pm

I have generally assumed that the angels simply wait, in some sort of hibernation state, concealed in geological and other natural features until their instincts wake them and alert them to the fact that their presence is needed. This could be completely random, but I believe that once the angels know that they are needed, another instinct takes over, a drive in which their only motive is to reach Lilith and initiate Third Impact.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Xavierla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xavierla » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:25 pm

where do the angels come from though. In the series and even in rebuild they just arrive out of nowhere. I even saw one in space.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:21 pm

View Original PostXavierla wrote:where do the angels come from though. In the series and even in rebuild they just arrive out of nowhere. I even saw one in space.

Their eggs (or whatever) might have been distributed across both Earth's surface and orbital space as a result of Second Impact. After a 15-year incubation, the Angels hatch (why they do in a conveniently stacked manner, nobody knows) and begin to head toward the Black Moon. It is possible for some to completely avoid human detection until they're all but at Tokyo-3's doorstop. (Approaching by ocean is a favorite tactic. Implied ATF hax0rz might be another.)

This is referring to NGE only. NME hasn't gotten into their origins or nature at all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:51 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Their eggs (or whatever) might have been distributed across both Earth's surface and orbital space as a result of Second Impact. After a 15-year incubation, the Angels hatch (why they do in a conveniently stacked manner, nobody knows) and begin to head toward the Black Moon. It is possible for some to completely avoid human detection until they're all but at Tokyo-3's doorstop. (Approaching by ocean is a favorite tactic. Implied ATF hax0rz might be another.)

This is referring to NGE only. NME hasn't gotten into their origins or nature at all.

Well, it's implied that they come from coffins on the moon. Unless Q has squashed that theory...
I could understand if they wanted to go to the White Moon (homing instinct and all), but why the Black Moon? I'd always assumed they headed for whichever Seed of Life was closest rather than any specific Moon, or that the first three mistook Lilith for Adam as Kaworu did, and after were heading to either one.
Maybe a Seed in its right Moon is somehow attractive, and they don't bother to check who's in it until they're right in their face or if they see Adam wandering around?
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:35 am

View Original Postjimmiel wrote:Well, it's implied that they come from coffins on the moon. Unless Q has squashed that theory...
There are enough changes between the two versions that it's not likely that one will be able to shed any light on the back-story of the other.

For the original series as it happened, despite what the original proposal suggested, the Moon only served as a backdrop for Rei and in EoE, a target for the Spear of Longinus; the angels were most likely seeded by Adam's detonation in 2I, including a couple launched into orbit.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:58 am

Oh, I wasn't saying that had anything to do with NGE. The first line was addressing the NME point along, the rest was regarding NGE.
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 pm

In regard to the location, I think Angels came from the outer space or the Moon, since they always seemed to "descend" from somewhere high in the sky.

As for the timing, I always thought Angels had some sort of psychic power that connected them to each other; a sort of "give me a signal if you fail your mission, so the next Angels in line will plan out where to hit next time".

The feeling that all Angels could keep in touch somehow is strong in my mind, although this might be just my bizarre theory. :)
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:13 pm

View Original PostEvaBrothers wrote:In regard to the location, I think Angels came from the outer space or the Moon, since they always seemed to "descend" from somewhere high in the sky.

Sachiel didn't. Shamshel didn't. Ramiel didn't. Gaghiel didn't. Israfel didn't. Sandalphon sure as hell didn't (was actually born underground!). Matarael didn't.

Who did? Pretty much only Sahaquiel and Arael. You could make the case for Bardiel (seeming to originate from a cloud) and maybe one could argue that the floaters like Zeruel and Ramiel came down from way high up but those (Sahaquiel+Arael) are the only two clear cases.

As for the timing, I always thought Angels had some sort of psychic power that connected them to each other; a sort of "give me a signal if you fail your mission, so the next Angels in line will plan out where to hit next time".

Then why didn't they just all attack at the same time?

I always felt that the Angels were distinctly alone. Thematically, it's what separates them from humanity. Each was an entire species unto itself, unlike humanity, the 18th Angel, who are a giant colony instead of a single entity -- up until Third Impact would have changed that.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”