Q Movie reactions (NO SPOILER)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:19 am

DCP - Digital Cinema Package - are keyed, coded, and protected up the wazoo. So if anyone working in a theater was stupid enough to rip their DCP of Evangelion 3.0 (never mind that these files are huge!) it would be very VERY easy to trace where it came from and who would be to blame.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby TomasJC » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:24 am

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:I can just catch a bus into town...Ha.

Once again, I am defeated by the Rimutaka Hill and Tranzit. Damn buses...
Anyway, @ Topic:
View Original Postos189 wrote:get the impression they are just making these up as they go along. After the first one, a boring scene-for-scene remake, the really amped it up in part two. And then they were like "Uh oh...now what?" That really shows in the new one.

It was all right, but HA is still the best of the bunch.

I think that Final will make up for any distaste from the fanbase. This is Anno we're talking about. If using the original series as an example, 1.0 and 2.0 are like episodes 1-24 (with a few extra elements). 3.0 will probably be to fans what 25 and 26 were. We're comfortable with what we're seeing then BOOM- what the hell is going on? I think it's just a way of saying that they are not afraid to take things in different directions and experiment with the fans. I'm sure Final will tidy things up and send EVA off with a bang.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:30 am

Fanbases are known to be fickle. Stray too far from what they originally fell for - even if it's only on the surface as 3.0 seems to has done - the creator has 'jumped the shark' and doesn't care anymore. Stick too close to what has come before and he's 'cashing a paycheck' and doesn't care anymore.

Fanbases are almost impossible to please.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Stick too close to what has come before and he's 'cashing a paycheck' and doesn't care anymore.

Did Jo get a lot of similar reactions? Back when it was released I avoided it for this reason but I thought that I was just an exception.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Chiral_Spiral
Embryo

Postby Chiral_Spiral » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:I saw it yesterday in a sold out theater and due to my lousy understanding of Japanese, I was just about as lost as Shinji!

It starts off great! Then it draaggggssss and is pretty boring through the whole middle section.

I'm not saying your opinion is invalid or anything, but is it possible that your problems with the movie stem more from not being able to understand the dialogue? I imagine the slower sequences would probably lose a lot of their entertainment value if you couldn't understand what was being said.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 am

As we were walking out, I asked my Japanese buddy how it was, and the first thing he said was "Boring."

But he also admitted to crying, so I'm thinking the Shinji/Kaworu stuff at least got to him, whereas it did nothing for me.

I cry every time I watch HA though.

I said "Did you understand everything that was going on?"

He said "About 30%."

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:29 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:I said "Did you understand everything that was going on?"

He said "About 30%."

I would assume this was the reaction from your Japanese friend even after seeing the previous two movies? If so....wow!

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:12 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:It starts off great! Then it draaggggssss and is pretty boring through the whole middle section. And it finally picks up again at the end.

This doesn't count as spoiler due to all trailer footage so I think I should add caveat to this for the unspoilered: os189 really, really doesn't care for Kaworu and since the film revolves around him quite much you can see where the boring comes from.

If you guys like Kaworu I doubt it'll as boring to you as for os

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Knuckles » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:33 pm

actually? Yeah. You guys are pretty much spoiling the movie. Thanks for essentially saying the sad stuff revolves around Shinji and Kaworu and most of the movie is about them. I thought a thread titled 'no spoilers' clearly meant speak nothing about the plot.
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

Chiral_Spiral
Embryo

Postby Chiral_Spiral » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:16 pm

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:actually? Yeah. You guys are pretty much spoiling the movie. Thanks for essentially saying the sad stuff revolves around Shinji and Kaworu and most of the movie is about them.

Is that really so much of a surprise, though? You can get all of that just from the structure of the original series and what's been shown in the trailers. Even the poster strongly pushes the idea that Kaworu and Shinji are going to be central to the movie.

I guess I might be arguing over semantics here, but I generally don't count as a spoiler anything that could be easily guessed based on marketing material.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:19 pm

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:actually? Yeah. You guys are pretty much spoiling the movie. Thanks for essentially saying the sad stuff revolves around Shinji and Kaworu and most of the movie is about them. I thought a thread titled 'no spoilers' clearly meant speak nothing about the plot.

I think thats being rather naive. We all generally know that Eva 3.0 is heading into depressing, convoluted and sad territory. And as for most of the movie revolving around Shinji and Kaworu? Wake up man! If you haven't noticed most of the promotional posters and billboards in Japan have shown the two characters together. I dont think they would put the two together in most ads out there just for the sake of it!

Really you guys are getting way too sensitive when it comes to name calling and blaming others for spoiling the movie.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:22 pm

View Original PostChiral_Spiral wrote:I guess I might be arguing over semantics here, but I generally don't count as a spoiler anything that could be easily guessed based on marketing material.
I agree.

If this were truly spoliericious, there'd have been redactions throughout this thread.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Knuckles » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:35 pm

You guys are missing the point. That's exactly what it is, a guess. An assumption. You guys are basically saying I'm being naive for not knowing for a fact what the bulk of the movie revolves around when who the hell knows what 3.0 could be about. Except oh wait, you guys who already know, so it's obvious to you guys.
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Spent some time on futaba today, seems like a lot of people are starting to refer to Gendo as Madao
(Nickname for a Character in Gintama the VA of Gendou also voices. Gintama is a long running shounen jump series with over 200 episodes. Madao stands for useless older man cause the character he voices is a homeless older man.)

:lol:

Kuma_nii
Embryo

Dunno what to think

Postby Kuma_nii » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Alright, after reading all of the pages of this thread. For someone like me who won't be able to watch this untill the Japanese dvd gets released, and refuses to watch the first 6 minutes because he wants the least amount of spoilers possible. I can honestly say that nothing I read yet has spoiled anything for me so thank you so much for being faithfull to the "no spoilers" tag :D! But from what I have read, I have no idea if people in general liked it, or hated it. If it's anything like EoE then I can understand the whole "spliting the fandom" but I would really like a clarification on your personal standpoints for this movie. Do you think it's good what Anno-sensei did with this movie, or was it a bad move?
As a man I must be tough in front of my peers,
As a human being I must think of myself before others,
As an individual I choose not to be like the others,
I am an Eva fanboy and I'm proud.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: Dunno what to think

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:37 pm

View Original PostKuma_nii wrote:Alright, after reading all of the pages of this thread. For someone like me who won't be able to watch this untill the Japanese dvd gets released, and refuses to watch the first 6 minutes because he wants the least amount of spoilers possible.

Since it's the first part of the movie you're going to see anyway, I don't really see it as a spoiler. And I'm as spoiler-phobic as they come! XD
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:39 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Spent some time on futaba today, seems like a lot of people are starting to refer to Gendo as Madao

Madao for life~
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Lonecow12 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:57 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:If you read the Complete Records Collection translation threads, you'll see that that is exactly what went on in Ha -- to the extent that they got an early draft together and then went "Oh, hang on a minute -- Asuka's supposed to be in here somewhere, but we were having too much fun with new stuff. Let's jam her in somehow."

To be fair the original series was done in a way where work on the next episode wasn't started until the previous one was done, so they could always change the story as they went. Seemed to work well for them the first time. Why wouldn't they use that same strategy this time.

Kuma_nii
Embryo

Postby Kuma_nii » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:02 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Since it's the first part of the movie you're going to see anyway, I don't really see it as a spoiler. And I'm as spoiler-phobic as they come! XD

Oh no! My spoiler defenses are starting to crumble, I'm now tempted to watch the first 6 minutes XD. Thanks a lot man, you broke me ;-;
As a man I must be tough in front of my peers,
As a human being I must think of myself before others,
As an individual I choose not to be like the others,
I am an Eva fanboy and I'm proud.

Gekusu
Embryo

Postby Gekusu » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:07 pm

View Original PostKuma_nii wrote:But from what I have read, I have no idea if people in general liked it, or hated it. If it's anything like EoE then I can understand the whole "spliting the fandom" but I would really like a clarification on your personal standpoints for this movie. Do you think it's good what Anno-sensei did with this movie, or was it a bad move?

I think the movie is meeting a unique reaction because it is dialogue heavy. Even for those that understand Japanese well it seems to be confusing.

I think what we see in it, structually speaking, is the calm before the storm of 4.0. That calm presented by itself can be less than exciting, but I think that ultimately most fans will agree that RoE wouldn't feel right without the style shift in 3.0. Time will tell.

I'm going back tonight with a native speaker and N1 speaker, so I'll have a bit more information on the audiences' reception of it soon.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”