4th Film Info (READ OP) + Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ScottAsher
Embryo

Postby ScottAsher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Someone posted on /a/ that the symbol for the 4th movie is the endrepeat symbol in music.

IF THIS TURNS INTO AN ENDLESS TIMELOOP ANNO I'LL KILL YOU.

Oh god watch it turn out to be a prequel to NGE and the repeat be NGE. Because so far the ORIGINAL is happier than Rebuild.

WHAT A TWIST

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:18 pm

View Original Postbalofo wrote:At least we're getting a battle against MP EVAs in Final.
He thinks anything from the next episode preview will actually be in [s]Coda[/s] :|| :pointlaugh:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby svenge » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:32 pm

View Original PostScottAsher wrote:Someone posted on /a/ that the symbol for the 4th movie is the endrepeat symbol in music.

IF THIS TURNS INTO AN ENDLESS TIMELOOP ANNO I'LL KILL YOU.

Oh god watch it turn out to be a prequel to NGE and the repeat be NGE. Because so far the ORIGINAL is happier than Rebuild.

WHAT A TWIST

The "end repeat" barline you mention (Unicode "MUSICAL SYMBOL RIGHT REPEAT SIGN") is largely similar to the "final barline", but the "end repeat" barline has 2 dots in it. The one used for the 4th movie does not, and it indicates the end of a given work.

ScottAsher
Embryo

Postby ScottAsher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:36 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:The "end repeat" barline you mention (Unicode "MUSICAL SYMBOL RIGHT REPEAT SIGN") is largely similar to the "final barline", but the "end repeat" barline has 2 dots in it. The one used for the 4th movie does not, and it indicates the end of a given work.

Ah, alright.

Well, it's still a twist NGE is seemingly happier than Rebuild

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:36 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:The problem is that the Unicode character used (MUSICAL SYMBOL FINAL BARLINE) is only supported by 4 fonts, none of which are commonly found on Windows or Mac. It's cool conceptually, but it's not very user-friendly.
Damnit, Anno -- you did have to go out into the astral plane for the title, didn't you.

Oh, well, maybe by the time it comes out, fonts that extend beyond the basic multilingual plane will be as common as BMP-Unicode fonts are today. Otherwise, it's just a U+1F4A9.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Are people calling this coda? That symbol isn't a coda, it's a double bar, or more rarely, a fine. The movie calls it coda?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:39 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Are people calling this coda?
The term has been used, yes, and I'm guilty of repeating it.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby svenge » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:40 pm

View Original PostScottAsher wrote:Well, it's still a twist NGE is seemingly happier than Rebuild

It would be wise to wait for 4.0 to debut before saying that...

Grub
Lilith

Postby Grub » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Oh btw, the repeat symbol doesn't mean "repeat forever," it just means "go back to this point and do it again" and you get past the repeat symbol once you've repeated. And if that repeat symbol is right at the end of the song, it's more than appropriate to call the music after the repeat symbol the Coda.

So maybe 4 is when we learn about Shinji having done this all before, and then he gets past the "repeat point" and gets his coda.
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:46 pm

View Original PostGrub wrote:Oh btw, the repeat symbol doesn't mean "repeat forever," it just means "go back to this point and do it again" and you get past the repeat symbol once you've repeated. And if that repeat symbol is right at the end of the song, it's more than appropriate to call the music after the repeat symbol the Coda.

So maybe 4 is when we learn about Shinji having done this all before, and then he gets past the "repeat point" and gets his coda.

I hope this is true, because if it, is, it turns out the NME series followed a simple pattern: the first six episodes are normal with slight changes, and then, because this is the part where every single fanfic decides to diverge the plotline, the rest of the movies are a love song to all the fandom madness that Eva has inspired.

That's some meta, right there.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby svenge » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:47 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Are people calling this coda? That symbol isn't a coda, it's a double bar, or more rarely, a fine. The movie calls it coda?

In the absence of clear evidence from 3.0 itself or its theatrical pamphlet, I've been calling it "final".

The formal name of that musical notation is "final barline", and the original "News Flash" trailers from 2007 gave the 4 movies' titles as 1.0/Jo, 2.0/Ha, 3.0/Kyu (Kyu was later replaced by "Q"), and FINAL/?.

I know that the text rendering of the 4th movie's title has already changed from the originally planned "Evangelion Shin Gekijoban: Final" (Evangelion New Theatrical Edition: Final) to "Shin Evangelion Gekijoban: [final barline]" (New Evangelion Theatrical Edition: [final barline]), but until something official is known, I think that being keeping "final" as the English rendering of [final barline] is the safe choice.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:50 pm

View Original PostGrub wrote:Oh btw, the repeat symbol doesn't mean "repeat forever," it just means "go back to this point and do it again" and you get past the repeat symbol once you've repeated.

I'll just leave this here:
SPOILER: Show

I don't know what it says but it seems to be related. :lol:
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:54 pm

I don't think that's a repeat, I think it's just a colon followed by a bold(final) double bar. Final does seem to make the most sense. Maybe "fine" if we want to get fancy. But I don't think it's a repeat, and it's definitely not a coda. Sorry to be all anal but music is kinda my thing. Just don't want the wrong names catching on.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Baz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:59 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:I don't think that's a repeat, I think it's just a colon followed by a bold(final) double bar.

Seele08 said (waaay back) that there was no colon, just a double bar.

Edit: What I mean to say is: it is just "fine". Song's over. No repeat.
Edit: Aha... I see how the colon might actually be present... ahhh
Last edited by Baz on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Grub
Lilith

Postby Grub » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:02 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:I don't think that's a repeat, I think it's just a colon followed by a bold(final) double bar. Final does seem to make the most sense. Maybe "fine" if we want to get fancy. But I don't think it's a repeat, and it's definitely not a coda. Sorry to be all anal but music is kinda my thing. Just don't want the wrong names catching on.

But it's seriously a repeat sign. I'm not sure why you're thinking it isn't...

EDIT: Oh, wait. I see. You mean it's a colon to designate a secondary title, aren't you? I see...

Anno's just being a jerk again.
Last edited by Grub on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Grub
Lilith

Postby Grub » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:09 pm

No, wait! It's got to be a repeat sign! There's a difference in spacing between a colon and the dots in the repeat sign. Repeat sign's dots are noticeably closer together, and that characteristic is present in the title. Not only that, but if it were a colon, it'd be contained within its own separate character space in the font, with the "end sign" in a second space. However, the whole repeat sign in the preview name is within a single character space.

Repeat sign. Calling it.

edit: sorry, got a little off topic.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:17 pm

I'll just leave these here

Title from the scan

MUSICAL SYMBOL RIGHT REPEAT SIGN (U+1D107)

Kodaemon
Lilith

Postby Kodaemon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:18 pm

You can (:)||
just a signature

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:54 pm

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby gorgeousshutin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Real title of fourth film: You can (not) Troll
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”