What do you watch with? (Dub or Sub?)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Dub. Just because I don't want to look at the screen all the damn time.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:14 pm

I used to swing both ways but lately it's just been subs.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Flyvapnet
Embryo

Dubya

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Until recently, I preferred subtitles over dubs. But my eyes ain't what they used to be and reading the constantly-shrinking subtitles has become problematic. Hence, of necessity I've fallen back on dubbed stuff. I really wish there was some way for end users to make subtitles larger!

[center]:asuka_sad:[/center]
[center]Beauty is the purgation of superfluities.
Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (1475-1564)[/center]

Misato's toyboy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Misato's toyboy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Back in the VHS days I watched both, depending how impatient I was to get the next tape - dubs were always released first.

I liked Allison Keith as Misato (also Gendou, Fuyutuski, Rei, Ritsuko, Kaji in English).

But as I watched more anime with Japanese dialogue, & more Eva likewise, I switched & stayed with the original cast.

EoE's dub with its deliberate obscenities nailed the lid on any more Eva in English.

So for Eva, & all other anime. Japanese. :asuka_thumbsup:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:46 pm

I used to be less fussy about it, but as I've started watching more and more streaming anime (much fansubbed, some licensed) I've found that dubs aren't available even if I want 'em. I now watch subs nigh-exclusively out of habit. There are exceptions, though; I'll watch Steins;Gate dubbed any day of the week, and the same with a couple of other works. But mostly it's subs all the way.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I used to be less fussy about it, but as I've started watching more and more streaming anime (much fansubbed, some licensed) I've found that dubs aren't available even if I want 'em. I now watch subs nigh-exclusively out of habit. There are exceptions, though; I'll watch Steins;Gate dubbed any day of the week, and the same with a couple of other works. But mostly it's subs all the way.

Same here about streaming anime. I watched the original Naruto series dubbed, but switched to subs when the dubbed episodes ran out in Shippuuden. Insert "Shit-puuden", "Shipooden", "Shipoopooden" jokes here. I also watched Cowboy Bebop dubbed since the site I streamed it from was missing some subbed episodes. ...I wasn't much of an explorer at the time. XD I also saw the dubs of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1 and FLCL, but that was after watching them subbed. If you're watching a series that is in the process of being broadcast, your only choice is subbed unless you feel like waiting months or even years for the dubs to come out.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dubya

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:58 am

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:some way for end users to make subtitles larger!
For certain values of end user -- there's the DIY fansub approach, ripping the video and subtitles separately, editing the font definition in the latter. Or there's the cheating approach of picking up enough Nihongo to watch the raws.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Or there's the cheating approach of picking up enough Nihongo to watch the raws.

Yeah, working on that myself through various means, mostly just watching tons of anime. XD I plan to take some Japanese classes in college, though. Memorizing all those Kanji should be fun... -___-
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Flyvapnet
Embryo

Ah, yes....

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Mr. Tines, your suggestions are greatly appreciated. But, what happens if one is too lazy to fuss with all that editing? *hides* Seriously, though, I wish I was literate in Japanese.

But I'm not, so I'll have to look into the whys and wherefores of subtitle editing--or else be satisfied with dubbed versions. Or, I can simply move my comfy chair closer to the television receiver. It's so damned heavy! *whines*

[center]:asuka_miffed:[/center]
[center]Beauty is the purgation of superfluities.
Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (1475-1564)[/center]

Fig
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fig » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:26 pm

I watch the English dub, not cause I dislike subs or anything, but for the reason being that I actually like the English VA cast a lot.

I know I'm in the minority and I accept it, but I'm not saying it's better than the Japanese VA's (I'll even admit that statement would be false), it's just the voices I've grown to like.

Except End of Evangelion, fuck that dub, subs or raw all the way.

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 pm

With most shows I watch whatever language's dub I think is superior of the ones available (about ninety-seven percent of the time this is Japanese, nearly three percent is English and the other one is Elfen Lied in German, because the Japanese dub sucks and the English is one of the worst things I've ever heard). With Eva, I wouldn't go English even if I preferred it, because of the lack of subtlety and accuracy, the swapping out of sound effects, etc.

I still think Spike Spencer and Allison Keith do some great acting (although Megumi Ogata outscreams the former at every turn), and the English dub has some great moments (the "naughty bits" and "I'm so fucked up" lines). The NGE dub was a wildly inconsistent but fun ride, the original movies' were kind of crap. I actually really like the Rebuild English dubs - not more than the original, though. They're some of the best work I've heard from Funimation, whose works I usually find merely acceptable. I especially enjoy Trina Nishimura's enthusiasm in the 10th Angel fight.

View Original Postarkiel wrote:I don't want to look at the screen all the damn time.

Good call watching television. ;)
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:55 am

My eyes ain't the greatest, so I prefer dubs when I can get them. However, at times I am driven to subs when a dub isn't available. My enjoyment of various anime has been impacted by this, as focusing attention between reading and comprehending the action on screen as well as the dialogue can get taxing on the brain.

Not to mention having to pause a subbed show every damn time my cats do something retarded (like suddenly jump in front of my screen or knock over half the shit on my desk).

I do realize that some dubs are sub-par, but if I feel the need to, I will refer to a sub to see what is meant to happen.

Also, sometimes a dub is just absolute comedy gold. If anyone has the Wrath of Kahn dvd, go to languages, switch the spoken language to French, and just enjoy two hours of Scotty speaking French with a Scottish accent.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Jomei
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jomei » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 pm

I watch with subs. I believe my first viewing was with the dub, which isn't all that bad, but since then, I've learned some Japanese and enjoy not only the superior voice acting but the opportunity to listen to and understand some of the language.

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:30 am

View Original PostMisato's toyboy wrote:EoE's dub with its deliberate obscenities nailed the lid on any more Eva in English.
It's not like they swear at any chance they get like in the dub of this anime. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILQ_pvI4AGI And the swearing is placed rather well.
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Sub. I don't hate the dub, but it's mediocre, and the original Japanese voice acting is absolutely stellar. Few things have sent shivers down my spine like Shinji's screaming in the Japanese version of End of Evangelion.

Ah, Ogata-Senpai. Truly you are the Japanese female Stephen Fry. The Japanese male Stephen Fry, of course, being Norio Wakamoto.

Spike Spencer's attempt at the scream, on the other hand, sounded like he'd just sat on a pin.

Still, it could have been worse. It wasn't 4kids, after all...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:16 am

I always try to watch Asian films first with original Japanese/Chinese voices with English subs.

I love how the Japanese language sounds, and the voices of the women are so cute.

But I do go back and watch it with English dubs because then my eyes are free the entire time to soak up the visuals.

This is especially true for NGE (and even more-so for the text laden Eps 25/26) because the words come so fast.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:48 pm

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:This is especially true for NGE (and even more-so for the text laden Eps 25/26) because the words come so fast.

While I agree with you on your main point, I'd say that you haven't seen words coming fast (and continuously for the whole show) until you've watched Bakemonogatari and the rest of the -monogatari series - and there's no dub option to help out in that case either.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:10 pm

NGE isn't much of a problem, IMO, because the words tends to come at points of minimal activity. I mean, if it's just someone standing there with their mouth flapping open and closed, or, even better, there's absolutely nothing happening on-screen at all, your eyes aren't missing anything by glancing down. Most anime are like this, in my experience: almost never anything interesting to miss in the split-second it takes to scan the words.

I will admit that GitS:SAC bombarded the bottom of the screen so continuously with difficult-to-absorb technobabble that I threw my hands up and put the dub on. And Pom Poko's constant narration makes it tough to do the sub, but damned if I'm going to subject myself to a version sterilized of all testicle references!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:16 pm

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:I really wish there was some way for end users to make subtitles larger!

I saw this just now, and immediately thought of this.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:19 pm

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:I really wish there was some way for end users to make subtitles larger!

I'm pretty sure the 3rd-party video player I use on my Google Nexus 7 for viewing films can do this.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”