Q Trailers Thread (was: Q trailer on new Nico Nico)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:18 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Does anyone else find the scene with Rei, her clothes, and the stand look a bit weird? It looks like it takes place in something like what we saw in End of Eva when Shinji was watching Misato and Kaji do it.

Or it could just be the lighting in the room she's in.
The light in the room fluctuates like it's lit by candles. It's probably not real.
Also, is it just me, or does Shinji look a lot older?

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Postby gwern » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:28 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:EDIT:
I got that link from gwern's website, I don't know how to link single excerpts of his database, actually I wonder if it's possible to do it, so I'll just quote the relevant parts:

Each section header is a link target (if you go to the Table of Contents at the top); so http://www.gwern.net/otaku#p-19 would get you to that quote... well, *closer* to that particular quote.

Or I guess you could just link straight to http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30425762&postcount=2056 and http://forum.evageeks.org/post/489284/SPECULATION-Q-30-Final-as-one-release/#489284

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:07 pm

The first shots of Shinji and Rei seem to mirror eachother. In both, the characters seen to be waking with a start while submerged in LCL.

Theory: the "mouth" shot is a closeup of Shinji strangling Kaworu after finding out he's the one who speared Unit-01.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:08 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Theory: the "mouth" shot is a closeup of Shinji strangling Kaworu after finding out he's the one who speared Unit-01.

That'd be fucking awesome.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Wouldn't it? Oh, how quickly an easy day playing the piano can turn sour.

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Knuckles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:07 pm

I second that. That would be fucking amazing.

Here's to hoping that experience really changed Shinji that much. :cheers:
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:15 pm

:headscratch: I don't see what's "awesome" about Shinji strangling Kaworu for saving the world while doing no harm to him or anyone else.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Knuckles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:25 pm

^ Misato pretty much explained it at the end of 2.0. Shinji wasn't being a pussy for once and was doing something for someone else. That, and he pretty much said being with Rei was all he wanted, then he got a spear through the back. Wouldn't you be pissed off too?
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:27 pm

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:Rei was all he wanted, then he got a spear through the back. Wouldn't you be pissed off too?

Ok, I'll add to the list of possible lines on Shinji's mouth close-up:

"I-WAS-GONNA-GET-SOME!"
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:33 pm

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:^ Misato pretty much explained it at the end of 2.0.

No, she didn't. That's why Ritsuko calls her retarded because some weird shit is about to go down. Eventually she starts gaping in horror when she realizes that Unit-01 is looking like one of the Adam's.

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:Shinji was being a dick and was doing something for himself

Fixed that for you.

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Knuckles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:48 pm

I thought it went without saying by this point but... some people like what Shinji did, some people still hate him and hate what he did, the point is that he was asking why we thought it was awesome. We (and I hope I'm not speaking falsely for you other guys, correct me if so) think it'd be awesome because it's Shinji showing some spine.

No, she didn't. That's why Ritsuko calls her retarded because some weird shit is about to go down. Eventually she starts gaping in horror when she realizes that Unit-01 is looking like one of the Adam's.

What's your point? She still said what she said.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:07 am

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:What's your point? She still said what she said.

Which she decides to take back when Unit-01 starts going critical, because holy shit what the fuck is going on, and she has no idea that Shinji is going to rescue Rei. The only people in that scene that have any vague idea what is possibly going on are Gendo and Fuyutsuki, Kaji, and possibly Mari.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:33 am

As it's been brought up several times before, there's a contrasting duality of what's going on at the end of 2.0. Some may take solely the one thing and disregard the rest, some solely the other, but you'd be doing a disservice to ignore the other half. This goes beyond what the audience is supposed to get out of it, any audience expectations, and what's really going on internal to the story.

(Searching for a good thread for this hasn't resulted in much, so this'll just be a slight nudge for topic).

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:02 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote::headscratch: I don't see what's "awesome" about Shinji strangling Kaworu for saving the world while doing no harm to him or anyone else.

I just mean that it would be an awesome moment for his character, regardless of whether or not he's right. A James Bond villain blowing stuff up is awesome, even though we all pretty much agree it's wrong.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:07 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:TIME TO GET HYPE YOU SONS OF BITCHES

:koolaid:
OH YEAH

Also was glad to find out we had something new to talk about
But that you've already talked about it. Like, all of it almost.
Voluntary Illusion.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:31 am

I don't think he'd be too pissed about the spearing thing, after all, he had already acconplished his goal (grab Rei), the world destruction thing was a side-effect he wasn't even aware of, so no actual plans of his got twarted by that.

I don't think he'll ever know the world was in danger unless someone tells him. He may be glad that nothing happened, he may go emo with guilt, he may even get all snap back at the person telling him how a world without [s:2p2wp8zg]Michiru[/s:2p2wp8zg] Rei isn't worth protecting (If he tells that to Gendo, the latter will probably be shocked into silence, anyone else will probably give him a mayor scolding him for being childish, reckless and/or not thinking things through) but his reaction certainly won't be "Geez, that stupid planet survived!"

@Jorno:
Yeah.

When I first saw the tube I thought " maybe Rei III activating", my first impression was that her eyes looked blank, but, taking a closer look, she has an exression there...

Also, they have us in the fortunate situation of knowing that Rei is past her expiration date, so to speak. Her fate is completely up in the air, they can shock/surprise us however they want, it's not like we have any old canon content she still "has to be in". That is, they can make the audience genuinely worried.
No way they'd lose that advabtage by hinting at her fate in a trailer, not after most of Qs campain has deliberately told us nothing at all.
(The "swiftly takes a dark turn" may indicate a mayor gamechanging plot twist that would be spoiled by anything more indicative)
All we got is a piano, and shots of Asuka, Shinji, Rei, Mari and Kaworu doing the most typical Asuka, Shinji, Rei, Mari- or Kaworu-y things, respectively.

Also, Shinji IS blushing, whatever that means, they're just using a more realistic effect than luminiscent face lines.

I mean, look at our predictions for 2.0 and how wrong they were, because of the same flaws some of our current Q predictions have. For example, we did...

a) ...assume that it would mostly Asuka's movie. In our classic-NGE-filled heads, she's a mayor main character, but in Rebuild, she's as ndew as Mari, and the movies, as a tetralogy, need consistent focus and storytelling. It's like expecting the harry potter books to suddenly put all their focus on, say, Neville, and put Harry & co out of focus because "We've already seen so much of damn Harry, Ron and Hermione!"
Regardless so their relationships to each other, Rei, Shinji and Gendo are the main characters, so they will keep recieving wide-arching and won't suddenly drop out of the equation because it would be a cool what-if scenario.
Mari, Kaworu, Asuka and the adults will all get their nice little subplots, especially Kaworu since his cameos were setting him up for a larger role, he may even get main character status, but Shinji, Rei and Gendo will presumaly still be recognizeable as the protagonists and Anno won't follow crazy what ifs for their own sake. He's not writing a fanfiction. So something like Shinji spending the movie tangified or Rei becoming a glorified computer voice won't happen.

b) expect the EVA 04 deal to get a mayor role - What if EVa 04 this, EVA 04 this?... Again, focussing on things that were only plot devices/handwave to begin with. So many threads on soul mechanics, when Anno probably hardly gave them any thought beyond "I want this character to have an identity chrisis of sorts" or "I want that sort of connection there".
The plot devices are going to stay plot devices - they exist to make the plot possible, not the other way around. When we look at 2.0, the new developements were mostly tied to the characters, BG mechanics things were alteres, but no more than simply switching some words in the cryptic conversations for others. What surprised us was Asuka's journey taking a wjole different road, Gendo actually giving his son some advice, and when Kaji elaborated on a "setting thing" like the states of the ecosystem, it was done to caracterize him as a "tragedy survivor" and him trying to teach Shinji a lesson.
Expecting Qs twists/alterations to be like that is not unreasonable.

c) conversely, we were given many things we *didn't* expect.
Like, in years and years of writing fanfic, this fandom hasn't produced any story where Rei tries to get the Ikaris back together. In hindsight, it seems so obvious that she would do that - but the possibility never occurred to anyone.
Q may as well have such surprisingly plausible developemernts that we didn't see comming.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:58 am

I hope Shinji and Kaworu fuck in this version.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:04 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I hope Shinji and Kaworu fuck in this version.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:07 am

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:I thought it went without saying by this point but... some people like what Shinji did, some people still hate him and hate what he did, the point is that he was asking why we thought it was awesome. We (and I hope I'm not speaking falsely for you other guys, correct me if so) think it'd be awesome because it's Shinji showing some spine.

Historically, Shinji's bouts with strangulation tend to be among his more "spineless" moments.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Knuckles » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:15 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Historically, Shinji's bouts with strangulation tend to be among his more "spineless" moments.

LOL. Well said. :hahaha:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”