A Full Analysis of the Genesis 0:X Laserdisc

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

A Full Analysis of the Genesis 0:X Laserdisc

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:29 am

A lot of people (myself included) have talked about the Genesis 0:X LD for the last 13+ years, but no-one's really given an in-depth analysis of it. Since I had nothing to do today, I decided to dust off my LD player and rectify that.

First off, it's a 2-sided CLV disc with 2 episodes per side. That means that you can't pause the disc to view an individual still frame unless you have a higher-end player with a digital frame buffer. However, since CLV discs can hold 60 minutes per side versus CAV's 30 minutes per side (as was used for the 2-episode Genesis 0:1 ~ 0:14 releases), it's a necessary technical decision.

There are two identical stereo audio tracks: analog and digital. The analog track is mostly there for compatibility with early players that were produced before the introduction of digital audio tracks. As for the digital audio track, I'd recommend selecting it because of its inherently higher quality. Also, you can bitstream uncompressed PCM audio from the digital track to your receiver if you have a late-model LD player with a TOSLINK optical output connected to your audio receiver.

Now for the actual content. As is common, the first things you see are the corporate logo clips as seen below:

Corporate logos:
SPOILER: Show
Star Child logo:
ING logo:
Movic logo:

Then you've got your opening credits, nothing unusual about them. However, what comes immediately thereafter is really interesting. There's a still frame with no audio showing Eva-01, Ritsuko, Shinji, and Misato that lasts for precisely 10 seconds immediately after the OP credits end. Based on seeing many a raw TV-rip encode of other series in my day, I'd say that most likely this is where the broadcast sponsors' names would have been overlaid via telop, along with a voice-over saying something like "This show is brought to you by the following sponsors" back when the episode was originally televised.

Presumably that part of the production would have been finished off-site at the station, so Gainax's own master used for this release logically wouldn't have the finished sponsor message with the telop and voice-over completed. Of course, that's just my speculation.

OP broadcast sponsor screen:

From there, the original OA version of Episode 21 begins as normal, with no NPC / DC improvements or added scenes to be found. However, when it gets to the episode's Japanese title screen, something is different: The episode's title is duplicated in hiragana within a box inset at the bottom right!

Episode 21 title screen:

The rest of the episode continues as normal, with the episode-specific ED credits using the proper version of "Fly Me to the Moon" followed by the original 15-second next episode preview. After that, there's 2 more curiosities: There's another 10-second broadcast sponsor screen with Eva-01, and then immediately afterwards there's another 5-second still frame showing Shinji along with text saying "Look Forward to Next Time!".

ED broadcast sponsor screen + "Look Forward to Next Time!"

From there it goes on to the OP credits for Episode 22 and follows the same pattern of presentation differences as listed above. When you flip the disc to the other side (or the player does it for you if you have a nicer model), it starts immediately with the OP for Episode 23 (no corporate logos) and continues as previously outlined through the end of Episode 24. After that, you see the King Records logo, and then the standard copyright message.

End-of-disc screens:

In short, when Gainax said that they were going to use the TV broadcast version of Episodes 21-24 for this release, they weren't kidding around. It's just about as close to what was actually broadcast in February and March of 1996 as you can get, short of getting a copy of some otaku's VHS recording of the original TV Tokyo airing!

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Re: A Full Analysis of the Genesis 0:X Laserdisc

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:56 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:In short, when Gainax said that they were going to use the TV broadcast version of Episodes 21-24 for this release, they weren't kidding around.

Really, even the HK VCD version that you mentioned in this other thread cut out those segments after and the opening the trailer. According to your compendium GDVD-006-2 has the same short static sequences, do you have that DVD as well?
Anyway, thanks for your nice analysis, could it be a good idea to post it on the wiki as well?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Really, even the HK VCD version that you mentioned in this other thread cut out those segments after and the opening the trailer. According to your compendium GDVD-006-2 has the same short static sequences, do you have that DVD as well?
Anyway, thanks for your nice analysis, could it be a good idea to post it on the wiki as well?

I'm not surprised that the HK VCDs of 21-26 excised those 10-second long static screens, as they really serve no purpose in a home video context. Remember that ADV's original pre-Platinum releases (both VHS and DVD) of Episodes 21-26 also were sourced from broadcast masters, but they also deleted the sponsor screens as well.

As for the Second Impact Box, I recently downloaded an ISO of GDVD-006-2 from a Chinese server, and it indeed has those static sequences. In fact, all the screen-caps were sourced from that except the corporate logos.

Obviously the lack of provenance for the ISO means I can't be 100% sure of its authenticity, but since the main menu and some of the "data menu" entries are different than the standard KIBA-6 / GDVD-006 release, I believe it to be real. It would be far too much trouble to modify all the little things in the disc's menus that were changed, and the data structure and A/V bitrate all match up with Gainax's disc encoding practices from that era.

Regarding the Wiki, I'm no good at creating Wiki-type formatted pages. I can barely manage to maintain my Compendium using MS Word 2000 to create the HTML pages, which is hardly an optimum way to do things! However, if someone else wants to do something with my data and create one, that's fine with me.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:00 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:I'm not surprised that the HK VCDs of 21-26 excised those 10-second long static screens, as they really serve no purpose in a home video context.

Yeah, actually it's not really that surprising, what's surprising is that Gainax decided to release an almost 1:1 copy of the original aired masters. People could almost start wondering why they didn't release on air versions of the other episodes as well, maybe they had some minor differences as well, besides the title cards with furigana scripts. Actually I wonder if anyone knows something about it.
View Original Postsvenge wrote:Remember that ADV's original pre-Platinum releases (both VHS and DVD) of Episodes 21-26 also were sourced from broadcast masters, but they also deleted the sponsor screens as well.

Well, I was thinking that ADV did a more "thorough" work compared to the fast adaptation of the HK version, including their "nice" substitution of the title cards with English ones. Actually I can forgive ADV for doing that in early 2000s but I wonder what Funimation was thinking when they substituted them in NME... Why don't they take example from Right Stuf for a change?
View Original Postsvenge wrote:As for the Second Impact Box, I recently downloaded an ISO of GDVD-006-2 from a Chinese server, and it indeed has those static sequences. In fact, all the screen-caps were sourced from that except the corporate logos.

I see, thanks for the info.
View Original Postsvenge wrote:Regarding the Wiki, I'm no good at creating Wiki-type formatted pages. I can barely manage to maintain my Compendium using MS Word 2000 to create the HTML pages, which is hardly an optimum way to do things! However, if someone else wants to do something with my data and create one, that's fine with me.

I'm really not good at all with the wiki as well, maybe we could just try to steal the formatting of some other page, or we could see if ath is interested in it, I don't hear him from quite some time though.

EDIT: I forgot asking it before, the digital audio of the LDs is uncompressed LPCM?
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:33 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Yeah, actually it's not really that surprising, what's surprising is that Gainax decided to release an almost 1:1 copy of the original aired masters. People could almost start wondering why they didn't release on air versions of the other episodes as well, maybe they had some minor differences as well, besides the title cards with furigana scripts. Actually I wonder if anyone knows something about it.

I think that the "Eva Tomo no Kai" broadsheets included w/ the VHS/LD releases (and the 2003 "Monolith" DVD-BOX) had a list of changes by cut number for each episode. I could be wrong, though.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Well, I was thinking that ADV did a more "thorough" work compared to the fast adaptation of the HK version, including their "nice" substitution of the title cards with English ones. Actually I can forgive ADV for doing that in early 2000s but I wonder what Funimation was thinking when they substituted them in NME... Why don't they take example from Right Stuf for a change?

Funimation is oriented towards the lowest common denominator (read: dub fans) and make it their mission to over-localize everything to death. Their motto seems to be "No Japanese telop screens left unmolested!" Thankfully, there's very little in the way of telops in Eva 1.11 and 2.22 (just the title screens, the "To Be Continued" [つづく] notations, and the Japanese-language telop screens in the Next Episode Previews).

Many of the TV episodes (and especially Evangelion:Death) had 10x more telops, which is why I pray that Funi never gets the license to Eva TV nor Revival of Evangelion. There's no telling how bad they'd butcher it visually...

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I forgot asking it before, the digital audio of the LDs is uncompressed LPCM?

Yes, it is.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 am

Interesting read, thank you! I like the fact they really did make it a near replica of what was aired on TV, down to the sponsors message and all!

And I guess I'm just a purist with my collecting, but partly due to Funi's editing the Japanese tel-op screens (and not including all the trailers/extras) I sold my DVDs of Funi 1.11/2.22 a year back and now have the Japanese 2.22 BD instead. Gotta pick up 1.11 BD at some point.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:54 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:I think that the "Eva Tomo no Kai" broadsheets included w/ the VHS/LD releases (and the 2003 "Monolith" DVD-BOX) had a list of changes by cut number for each episode. I could be wrong, though.

I see something that looks like the description of single cuts in each issue, I can't read the whole title but it says "check" in katakana, do you think that it's that part?
View Original Postsvenge wrote:Funimation is oriented towards the lowest common denominator (read: dub fans) and make it their mission to over-localize everything to death. Their motto seems to be "No Japanese telop screens left unmolested!"

Well, Dynit is so focused on dub fans that they don't even care enough to make a separate script for the subs, but they still left all telops and credits in Japanese. Maybe my weird countrymen have become visual perfectionists but they still don't care about the original audio track, I really don't know.
View Original Postsvenge wrote:Many of the TV episodes (and especially Evangelion:Death) had 10x more telops, which is why I pray that Funi never gets the license to Eva TV nor Revival of Evangelion. There's no telling how bad they'd butcher it visually...

I have the impression that there aren't many alternatives besides Funi, though.
View Original Postsvenge wrote:Yes, it is.

Thanks for the confirmation.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:43 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Interesting read, thank you! I like the fact they really did make it a near replica of what was aired on TV, down to the sponsors message and all!

And I guess I'm just a purist with my collecting, but partly due to Funi's editing the Japanese tel-op screens (and not including all the trailers/extras) I sold my DVDs of Funi 1.11/2.22 a year back and now have the Japanese 2.22 BD instead. Gotta pick up 1.11 BD at some point.

I can certainly see where you're coming from on that. However, since there's relatively few telop screens, I decided to hold my nose and buy the Funi BDs anyhow. As a supplement to them, I decided to make hybrid DVDs of 1.11 and 2.22 by taking uncompressed ISOs of the R2J DVDs and muxing the appropriate subtitle tracks from the Funi DVDs onto them. Worked like a charm, but obviously it's only in standard-def.

As for the extras, Funi really didn't too bad a job (except for the second and subsequent printings of 1.11 not having the three "Fly Me to the Moon" trailers and the 2.0 teaser). The only substantive extra (read: not TV-spots) missing is "Explanation of Evangelion 1.01", and I don't think that anyone ever expected that feature to be brought over, as it would require a separate dual-layer disc and also is of limited interest to the general public.

Of course, that didn't stop me from buying the R2J LE of 1.01 and creating a custom subtitle track for the Explanation of Evangelion disc based on Reichu's translations. Actually, I currently have 2 copies of it (as one came somewhat dinged-up) and am trying to sell my extra copy due to tight finances.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:The only substantive extra (read: not TV-spots) missing is "Explanation of Evangelion 1.01", and I don't think that anyone ever expected that feature to be brought over, as it would require a separate dual-layer disc and also is of limited interest to the general public

But it's not particularly hard to do so, actually I'm considering of buying this edition just for the sake of completeness.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:But it's not particularly hard to do so, actually I'm considering of buying this edition just for the sake of completeness.

Of course it's not hard to do so, if a single individual can create the subtitles by himself upon having the ~250 telops translated. But since Explanation of Evangelion 1.01 is wholly based on Japanese-language telops, Funi would never go near that. Telops are like kyrptonite to those fools.

As for the Italian 1.01 DVD, it doesn't seem that bad of a deal @ EUR 15.59 (~$20 USD) including shipping. It cost me a little over $30 (~25 EUR) to get my most recently acquired R2J LE copy of 1.01, and then I had to go to the trouble of making the Explanation of Evangelion 1.01 subtitle file myself. At least the Italian version would have it ready-made...

I actually bought a used copy of the US 1.01 DVD for $4, mostly so that I could have a US copy of all Evangelion content available domestically. Since it had no extras as well as the overly-dark video inherent with all 1.01 releases, I think any price over $5 for it would have been too much :)

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:24 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:Of course it's not hard to do so, if a single individual can create the subtitles by himself upon having the ~250 telops translated. But since Explanation of Evangelion 1.01 is wholly based on Japanese-language telops, Funi would never go near that. Telops are like kyrptonite to those fools.

Well, actually those telops have been exchanged with Italian translated ones in the Explanation of Evangelion 1.01 featured in the BD, presumably it was the same in the previous 1.01 2 discs edition DVD. It's one of the two instances where they removed Japanese telops, the Japanese translations of the "English" dialogues in 2.22 were also removed and substituted with soft subs.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:12 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Well, actually those telops have been exchanged with Italian translated ones in the Explanation of Evangelion 1.01 featured in the BD, presumably it was the same in the previous 1.01 2 discs edition DVD. It's one of the two instances where they removed Japanese telops, the Japanese translations of the "English" dialogues in 2.22 were also removed and substituted with soft subs.

I did not know that they didn't use the JP telops in the Italian version of Explanation of Evangelion. I guess it really wouldn't matter too much, as the original Japanese version of Explanation just added telops on top of the normal film footage. It's not like anything from the movie itself would have been altered to make room for the Italian captions.

As for the removal of the Japanese translation telops for the English dialogue in 2.22, it was removed for the US and Hong Kong releases as well. In this one case I don't consider that a problem, as it was strictly a translation aid for the Japanese audience and not any kind of independent visual content like normal telop screens usually contain (such as the "To Be Continued" and "Next Episode Preview" ones).

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:53 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:Corporate logos:
Star Child logo:
ING logo:
Movic logo:

Wow. Thanks, man, that solved a mystery.

Now I know what version of Eva was used back in December '99, when a local TV station tried to air the whole show, and left an impression.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:50 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Wow. Thanks, man, that solved a mystery.

Now I know what version of Eva was used back in December '99, when a local TV station tried to air the whole show, and left an impression.

If you're basing that solely on the presence of those 3 corporate logos, you might be wrong in assuming that this was the TV station's source.

I can't tell where you're from based on your profile, but I just now grabbed my old VHS copies of Eva TV (ADV's US release) and they had those three logos at the beginning as well. One thing to note however, is that they were preceded by this ADV logo...

Screenshot of late-90s AD Vision logo:

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:59 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Yeah, actually it's not really that surprising, what's surprising is that Gainax decided to release an almost 1:1 copy of the original aired masters. People could almost start wondering why they didn't release on air versions of the other episodes as well, maybe they had some minor differences as well, besides the title cards with furigana scripts. Actually I wonder if anyone knows something about it.

Actually yes there were minor changes to several episodes between on-air and video versions, beyond the removing of hiragana from all the title cards and the 30-second previews.

These are the minor changes, which I got from this Japanese site: http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~yato/eva/video.htm

Episode 2 - truck added Mitsubishi logo, beer changed to Yebisu from Yebichu; Misato's laundry changed from general clothes to underwear

Episode 5 - the Yebisu thing again

Episode 17 - Maya's dialogue changed from 'minutes' to 'seconds'

Episode 19 - the episode was redubbed (I guess that could really count as a major change)
the counter for EVA power seen in the NERV control room changed from 0:03:05 to 3:05:68

Episode 20 - when Kaji and Misato are having sex at the end of the episode, the original broadcast had her making sounds; subsequent broadcasts removed this; it was added back for the video version

Obviously 21 - 24 have the big changes so I won't list all of those.

The credits for 25' and 26' were changed to a normal scrolling credit, and the song at the end of 26' is different ("主よ、人の望みの喜びを").
Also there was a preview for Love and Pop at the very end.
Last edited by JoeD80 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:53 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:These are the minor changes, which I got from this Japanese site: http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~yato/eva/video.htm

Thanks a lot for this link and for the translated list. Actually I think that I read something about the beer's name but I didn't know that episode 9 was redubbed.
EDIT:
isn't it episode 19 rather than episode 9?
View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:The credits for 25' and 26' were changed to a normal scrolling credit, and the song at the end of 26' is different ("主よ、人の望みの喜びを").
Also there was a preview for Love and Pop at the very end.

This last part is also pretty much well known, but there's no trailer for Love&Pop in KIBA-7, perhaps it was featured only in the LD/VHS Genesis0:13/0:14?
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Oh yeah, episode 19. Sorry about that. There is a note there about the DVD not having the Love & Pop trailer as well.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:13 am

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:There is a note there about the DVD not having the Love & Pop trailer as well.

You're right about that. When you originally wrote about that trailer I knew something was off, because I knew there wasn't a "Love and Pop" trailer on my copy of KIBA-7. There's a TV-spot for it on the bonus disc for the 2003 "Monolith" box set and the 2007 thinpak re-release, as well as a full trailer for Anno's subsequent film (Shiki-Jitsu).

Misato's toyboy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Misato's toyboy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 pm

So the next episode trailer was 15 seconds. When were the 30 second ones used, releases & if at all on TV?

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:02 pm

View Original PostMisato's toyboy wrote:So the next episode trailer was 15 seconds. When were the 30 second ones used, releases & if at all on TV?

As far as I know the 30'' previews were made for the home video release, if you check the various releases on svenge's website you can see that the original Japanese release used 30'' previews for the main feature and it included 15'' previews as extras. Later they exactly reversed this scheme for the Renewal which uses 15'' previews for the main feature and it includes the 30'' ones as extra, except obviously for the OA/DC episodes 21-24 which use directly their respective previews.
ADV's Platinum omitted the 30'' previews extras while it's "interesting" (or maybe not) to note that the Italian Platinum release kept the old Japanese format, it uses 30'' previews for the main feature and it also features the 15'' ones as extras.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”