When Evangelion 3.0 comes out in Japan

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Dan The Cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dan The Cat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:32 pm

i will be avoiding this forum, but I will be seeing in Glasgow film festival in the UK if it comes out their, if not Leeds film feast where I saw 2.0

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:46 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I will watch it illegally as soon as possible with the given pledge to purchase the Funimation release when it comes out, as I did with the last two films. Even if I hate it. As for spoilers, I'll be unable to resist. I'll read whatever I can as soon as I can. Frankly I feel 'spoilers' is a misnomer; it spoils nothing and allows for a sharing of experience among those discussing it. Being 'spoiled' during the flurry of info surrounding the last films the first few hours and days after they came out was a very fun experience, moreso than the films probably. You know what isn't fun at all? Depriving yourself of that kind of whirlwind community experience. Knowing things that will happen should diminish nothing in the way of enjoying a work, or coming to ones own (sometimes evolving) opinion of it.

I never forgave the guy who spoiled that the ship sank at the end of Titanic.

Er, I mean, I agree. Yes.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:14 pm

I will probably watch the first thing that has english sub, even if it resembles the original bad camrip, but I'll still buy the Blu-Ray (In fact, I bought 1.X twice: One as DVD and once more because we bought a Blu-Ray player in the interim) to support the making of 4. X with my cash XD
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:09 am

The cam rip gets a bad rap. A lot of people turned it off during the horribly murky Mari sequence, but beyond that it was watchable.

In the final episode of last seasons Breaking Bad (no spoilers), there was a tremendous... "face" moment. Fans will know what I mean. It was a masterful fake out (double fake out!) that you CAN'T tell me would have been more effective spoiled by the internet. It makes me really sad to think how easily I could have lost that experience because of an ill-advised headline.

We're entering uncharted territory in Rebuild. Why would you want your first taste to be watered down via some second-hand Cliff Notes? If you haven't seen the film, you don't know the context anyway, so discussing it would be pointless. I won't be able to resist a cam rip, but at least that allows the creators to tell me their story first.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:34 am

My thoughts are pretty much with Chee's. And I need to know what happens next. Besides, it's been said (how true this is is another thing) that people who find out about spoilers to a book/film/etc are able to focus on and appreciate the themes of the story more.

Although I did watch some of the camrip for 1.0 and I think the full camrip of 2.0, I'll make a point of not watching 3.0 until the 3.33 BD-rip release. I'll also order the 3.33 Japanese BD too. (Still need to get the 1.11 BD).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:49 am

I will watch the first camrip that gets available.

It's not like 3.0 is going to be coming to a theater near me anytime soon. If that was the case - I.E. It will be playing near me 1 month after release - then I would wait. In reality, 3.0 probably won't be available for me to view in HD until 9 months or so after theatrical release. So what, I am to hold out till Summer or Fall 2013 just so I can watch it on my TV? I will never get the real theatrical experience of heading over to a theater to see it with a bunch of fans projected on a screen.

Why should I run away from all snippets of 3.0 info and conversation for almost a whole year? Hell, if Final is coming out in 2013 it could hit theaters in Japan before I even get to see 3.0, thus I would need to avoid any info on Final just in case the synopsis says "Last we saw Shinji, he was on fire...."

Nah. The second a camrip hits the Interwebs I'll be downloading it and cancelling everything I have planned that day.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:44 am

I will watch it illegally as soon as possible with the given pledge to purchase the Funimation release when it comes out.

Never had anything spoiled for me eva-wise why start now? I will, however, see it as soon i can get it... with subs of course. As cool as it would be, I can't speak Japanese.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:35 pm

I'll try to be on the lookout for reviews, but will try to avoid spoilers as much as I can. Maybe I will watch a camrip but if there are movies I really want to watch that I've gone years without watching, maybe I can handle holding on for a while.

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:44 pm

I'll avoid any camrips etc. but will definitely order the Hong Kong BD when it's out. I did this for both 1 and 2 and found that the subs on the HK translation were very acceptable, as was the sound and video quality. I ended up ordering Funimation's BD of 1.11 anyway, but I was so pleased with the HK version of 2.22 that I didn't order the US release.

As the HK version is a licensed copy there's no guilt involved, Khara still gets paid and I get it early.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:32 am

I have no idea why the Japanese release waves off free money by excluding English subs. I'd happily import it at obscene markup and shipping prices for the privilege. Our fansubbers are saints, but it would be great to have an official translation to start with. Why you gotta make me torrent, Khara? Reach into my wallet. Come on. Come on.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:17 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I have no idea why the Japanese release waves off free money by excluding English subs. I'd happily import it at obscene markup and shipping prices for the privilege. Our fansubbers are saints, but it would be great to have an official translation to start with. Why you gotta make me torrent, Khara? Reach into my wallet. Come on. Come on.

Because the several thousand (generous estimate) more that they'd get to import the DVD/BD for the English subtitles isn't worth it, when they'd get 800k pre-orders from Japan alone, who would never use the English subs. I imported both movies, pre-ordered them just because it came with a film strip. Subs for them (unofficial) were available and timed to the DVD/BD within days after it arrived at my house.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:01 am

It's such a small adjustment, why not do it? Even if the extra revenue pales in comparison to local sales, it's still money on the table. They probably would have made about as much as they did not including that film strip, but it did drive a few purchases (as you can attest). Producing subs would cost far less than the strips. Why not stack the deck?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:28 am

The film strip was part of the reason the LE editions practically sold out before they were released. If it was cost effective to add subtitles all studios would be putting 10 languages on all their big releases, unfortunately, the added cost is not just finding translators, finding people who are close enough to the production who know the language that can review all translations, time and author the subtitles, but also losing ground on negotiating licensing fees with countries whose language you've already translated to and provided subtitles for. I obviously don't know what the numbers are but Funimation isn't going to be that interested in paying the massive $$$ for Rebuild knowing in the US niche anime market, all the hardcore fans already bought the Japanese release because it came with official subtitles in English.

Amitch1991
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch1991 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:48 am

Can i ask, with 1.0 and 2.0, how long was the gap between the Japanese dvd release and them being released in the UK ? will the gap be the same for 3.0 ?

Sorry if that is a noobish question, i'm new here lol :D
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Xbox Live Gamertag : Th3at3rofDr3ams

Facebook : www.facebook.com/BigDogAdz

Twitter : @RealAACentral

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:42 pm

Not really.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Umm so apparently there's a release date??? October 13 2012
Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelion:_3.0_You_Can_%28Not%29_Redo
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0860907/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kum4ZCFB3pQ

Someone better confirm this....

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:32 pm

If you look at the wikipedia page's history, it keeps getting reverted to say "Fall" but people keep (without a source) changing it to "October 13". There's no confirmation.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Re: When Evangelion 3.0 comes out in Japan

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:32 pm

View Original Postfadadio wrote:I for one will forsake this place until I have seen it myself
Damn straight. Only way to go.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Amitch1991
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch1991 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:29 am

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:Do not even ask how long the difference between 1.0 JPN DVD and the UK release was. I'm pretty sure it was 2 years in the very least. 2.0 was close to that, pretty sure we got that 1 year later than the American release :(

We do get the BD DVD combo pack for £20ish though.

2 years ?, oh that sucks :(, but £20 for the combo pack is pretty awesome :)

As for seeing 3.0 itself, i will probably read the plot somewhere and try to resist downloading a torrent, but i will defenetly read the plot and some reviews :)
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Xbox Live Gamertag : Th3at3rofDr3ams

Facebook : www.facebook.com/BigDogAdz

Twitter : @RealAACentral

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:I'd love to avoid anything related to 3.0 until the Blu-rei is out to enjoy it in its full glory but given the nature of regularly browsing 4chan it will be really hard to not get spoiled somehow.

You call it Blu-Rei too? I am not the only person. Good.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”