What was the saddest part of Eva for you?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 am

View Original PostSJCrew wrote:Rei is just a sad character in general. Shinji was the only good thing to happen to her throughout the series, but then she dies, gets replaced and can't remember a damn thing about him. In that light, I suppose I'd consider Episode 23 to be the biggest downer in the entire series.

While it's true that Evangelion in and of itself is a tragic series, Rei is easily the most miserable of the bunch. I have to wonder what was seriously going on in Sadamoto's head when he created her.

EDIT: On second thought, that's a little unfair; Sadamoto created the character, and quite an interesting one at that, but the series direction and stuff was all Anno. Guess I can't complain too much, given Evangelion as a whole is a masterpiece, I just wish they didn't have to do Rei in as badly as they did.

the manga depicts Rei in a way I consider partly superior (whilst it has its own flaws, and plenty of 'em!), one of the biggest flaws of the anime is that Shinji never tries getting closer to her after episode 6, which is plain contradictory (remember the end of that episode)

wish someone could mix those two mediums and create perfection
no sig

jota
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby jota » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:18 pm

I don't have one saddest part, but various.

When EVA 01 destroys EVA 03, when Rei "dies", when the MP EVAs tear EVA 02 and Asuka apart... But one that is very hard for me is that part when Misato kiss Shinji and push him into the elevator and then dies, because she's my favorite character

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 pm

View Original PostJC Denton wrote:wish someone could mix those two mediums and create perfection

Too early to tell I know, but Eva 2.22 especially seems to be heading this route with Rei at least.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

xark
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:16 am

The scene in ep 23 where Asuka is staying over Hikari's always hits me really hard for some reason; especially after Hikari says something to the effect of "I think you could do whatever you want and I wouldn't say anything, because I think you did your best" and Asuka starts to cry. The more subtly sad moments affect me more than the obvious ones.

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:22 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Too early to tell I know, but Eva 2.22 especially seems to be heading this route with Rei at least.

rebuild... yeah it's the worst of the bunch, flaws and stupidities galore (doesn't belong in this thread though)

why it was (is being) made baffles my mind (but the reason is $$$)
no sig

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:58 am

Asuka's descent. All of it. Probably the kitchen scene most of all, because that's the part she'll really regret when everything is said and done.

Edit: Also, realizing she was groomed to be a child soldier when her entire role was utterly meaningless. Putting someone through all of that just for the sake of appearances . . . geh. Doesn't get much worse than that.
Last edited by Bagheera on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

trkk-KAAN
Lilith

What is the saddest scene in evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby trkk-KAAN » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 pm

What scene made you cry the most? I thought I

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:54 am

Episode 1: The I. Shinji scene.

Deeply meaningful and so, so sad, i remember once when i was seeing i was about to cry, felt so identified with Shinji at that moment :sniffle:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:22 am

The descent arc I found to be pretty sad, it makes repeat viewings of the show harder.

But if I want to be more specific I’d say Asuka getting killed by the MP Evas, to be killed and easily bested after reaching her realization was just cruel

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:10 pm

^ I agree with Final Messenger, but her complete failure to even move her Eva while Armisael arrived also saddened me.

trkk-KAAN
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby trkk-KAAN » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:50 pm

The part I thought was the saddest was in End of Evangelion when Misato died, the other part I thought was the saddest was when after Misato died from the explosion, Shinji started crying in the elevator and stopped to look at Misato's cross necklace covered in blood and her blood and started crying again. Would u agree with that?

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:34 pm

View Original Posttrkk-KAAN wrote:The part I thought was the saddest was in End of Evangelion when Misato died, the other part I thought was the saddest was when after Misato died from the explosion, Shinji started crying in the elevator and stopped to look at Misato's cross necklace covered in blood and her blood and started crying again. Would u agree with that?

Nah, because she once again tried to use Shinji. But, Asuka's death was the worst in my opinion.

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:54 pm

The entirety of Asuka's decent. Watching her completely unravel at the seams was probably one of the most difficult things I've watched throughout the course of the series.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Touji's mutilation at the dummy plug's hands tore me up. Kaji's death was also terrible. But the saddest moment for me was Asuka's final death. She deserved so much better. Life isn't fair, and in her case, neither was death.
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

Dan The Cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dan The Cat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:28 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:When Shinji first meets Rei III.
She looks the same, and Shinji things she is the person that just saved his life, but all that emotions, all that developement, the little humanity she had... it's all gone... Not just her feelings for Shinji, also those for Gendo and that nice, determined little Person that had started to appear behind that icy veil...

this, i remember shedding a tear

Also Touji's mutilation had me with my mouth open in shock when i first saw it

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:52 pm

View Original PostONIAgent150 wrote:Touji's mutilation at the dummy plug's hands tore me up. Kaji's death was also terrible. But the saddest moment for me was Asuka's final death. She deserved so much better. Life isn't fair, and in her case, neither was death.

The manga's darker for Touji. I won't give it away.

If there's one sad moment that I would like to bring up, it's the climax of Episode 24. Why? "Ode to Joy", that's why. How else was this scene so effective. The fatal decision between letting Shinji's only person to understand him loose and crush humanity on his own, or to prevent Humanity from being destroyed. The long-minute shot of EVA 01... suspenseful and shattering...

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Kaji's death. It's not his death itself that kills me, it's Misato's reaction. The cut where her tears fall to the table makes me cry every time.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

trkk-KAAN
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby trkk-KAAN » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Nah, because she once again tried to use Shinji. But, Asuka's death was the worst in my opinion.

Well, I liked the scene better In Japanese because when Shinji screamed you don't understand it sounded like he was about to throw a tantrum. Would u also agree with that?

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:03 am

EP. 23, when Rei dies. Especially hard for me because up to that point she was my favorite character. And then the whole thing about Rei being a clone and Kaji dying and the general descent of everyone ('cept Gendo and Kozo) into manic depression. I agree with donut king, Misato's reaction just kicked me in the face with a cycling shoe
SPOILER: Show
Image(Especially painful because of the cleet)

But then EP. 24 happened. And Kaworu happened. And I was healed.
Last edited by Sgt. Griff on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leave Shinji alone

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:18 am

THE EPISODE WHERE PEN PEN LEFT ;_;

That was the moment you knew "There is no more humour at all"

:(
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”