Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:13 pm

View Original PostIronfoot wrote:Replace Spirited Away with Naussica and I'm in the same boat. That movie didn't captivate me like it did with most other people because of the art style like you mentioned, plus Nausicca's personality was extremely irritating. Her level of reasoning is so far below my understanding that I couldn't relate to her at all save on a intuitive, compassionate sense of days long gone by. And those days are over.

You sourpuss.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:24 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:You sourpuss.

:< Just showing GVman that he is (not) alone.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:39 pm

Just wanted to wish Hayao Miyazaki a Happy 70th Birthday.
Here's a Miyazaki smile. :toothy:
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Madman Entertainment is set to release the Castle in the Sky Blu-Ray in Australia on April 20th! Wheeeeee
Voluntary Illusion.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 pm

I bumped this thread because there is news that Disney no longer has the rights to Princess Mononoke. It might be a good idea to get the Japanes Blu-ray when the time comes.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:58 am

Studio Ghibli's newest film, Kokuriko-Zaka Kara, based on the manga of the same name, was released in cinemas in Japan on the 16th of July. It is the second film directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son Gorō Miyazaki.

According to ANN, a documentary about the production of Kokuriko-Zaka Kara, focusing on the relationship of Hayao and Gorō, is schedule to air on Japanese TV channel NHK in early August.

As to the film itself, an IMDb user has already posted a detailed and postive review of Kokuriko-Zaka Kara.
Voluntary Illusion.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:00 am

What does symbv know about Japanese reaction, I wonder I wonder

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:10 am

As the international release of The Borrower Arrietty nears, I felt it would be a great time to share some information about the film.

Firstly, it was licensed in the UK a couple of months ago under the title Arrietty and featured a UK English dub. I believe this is the first time in a while that non-Disney dub has been licensed. IIRC Mr. Tines is one of a lucky few to have seen Arrietty in UK theatres, although if he saw it subbed or dubbed I cannot recall; and I think Oz saw it subbed a few weeks ago.

Secondly, Arrietty will be coming to Australian cinemas in January 2012, likely with the UK dub, however there have been some subbed versions of Arrietty touring with the Annual Japanese Film Festival - I happen to know it is screening at the National Film and Sound Archive this Sunday, however because I've been procrastinating I'll likely have to miss it to complete my assignments.

As for the U.S. release date, it has been licensed by Buena Vista/Disney for a few months now and is set to be released to cinemas in February 2012 under the title The Secret World of Arrietty with its own U.S. voice cast.

If you're a little impatient for Arrietty to arrive in theatres, apparently the Japanese DVD (Region 2) and Blu-Ray (Region A) editions contain English subtitles - but don't take my word on it, as I found information on English-language Wikipedia.
Voluntary Illusion.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:22 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Mr. Tines is one of a lucky few to have seen Arrietty in UK theatres, although if he saw it subbed or dubbed I cannot recall
The UK dub, which made sensitive use of accents.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:39 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:If you're a little impatient for Arrietty to arrive in theatres, apparently the Japanese DVD (Region 2) and Blu-Ray (Region A) editions contain English subtitles - but don't take my word on it, as I found information on English-language Wikipedia.

I just checked the details in Amazon JP and the information is correct: "Japanese DVD (Region 2) and Blu-Ray (Region A) editions contain English subtitles."
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:05 am

Thanks, symbv! :)

For Australian residents interested in where Arrietty is screening with the 15th Japanese Film Festival:
It'll be screening in Canberra on Sunday the 20th; it's already been screened in Perth and Brisbane; and it is set to screen in Sydney on the 26th of November and in Melbourne on the 4th of December. Arrietty will only be screened once at each of these locations, so if you miss it now you'll have to wait until January when it is released in cinemas nationally with the UK Dub.
Voluntary Illusion.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Bumpity bump, so I saw the trailer for the film The Secret World of Arrietty on T.V. and I was wondering should I go see it?, It comes out on the 14th of February so I was debating seeing it, is it worth seeing in theatres?

Also the only other Ghibli film I’ve seen was princess Mononoke (does that matter).

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:21 pm

I think just about any Ghibli movie is worth seeing in theatres. And Arrietty is good movie.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:35 pm

I was able to see Ponyo at the Duke of York picture-house, in Brighton. Subtitled.

It was...interesting.

The largely adult audience was engrossed right up until Ponyo's prison break; you'd think that would be the moment people really started to pay attention...
The worst moment of the experience was when Ponyo (the source of all the energy and fun in the story) fell asleep.
Everybody in the audience yawned with her, myself included.
To make matters worse- she falls asleep several times.

When the credits rolled, you could hear the silent exclamations of all in attendance: "It's over?"

Needless to say, it was far-cry from the experience of watching 1.11 and 2.02 at the BFI.
Still, you don't see Japanese cartoons on the big screen every day. Go support it.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:45 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:Bumpity bump, so I saw the trailer for the film The Secret World of Arrietty on T.V. and I was wondering should I go see it?, It comes out on the 14th of February so I was debating seeing it, is it worth seeing in theatres?

The film is called "The Secret World of Arrietty" not "The Borrower Arrietty" in the west? Or is it just the name used in Canada? Because I think I have seen "The Borrower Arrietty" used in some English source...

Arrietty may not be directed by Miyazaki, but quality-wise it is still very high. I would even say it is on par with Ponyo (which Miyazaki directed) although Ponyo has a lot more dazzling fast actions which is the trademark of Miyazaki.

Bear in mind that the film can be seen on several levels, and the pathos that prevails in the film is really quite adult, though of course the film can surely be enjoyed by little kids as well.

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:Also the only other Ghibli film I’ve seen was princess Mononoke (does that matter).

Mononoke is my best favorite Miyazaki film (though not my best favorite Ghibli film, but it comes close). Mononoke is also a film that can easily by read on several levels that can cater to younger and older audience (though Mononoke's theme and its depiction of violence is quite adult).

But it does not sound right. You mean you have not seen other Ghibli films like Nausicaa, Totoro, Laputa, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo or Porco Rosso??? You should drop all your Gundam and rush to check all these films first first!

Let me help you with the list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghi ... ture_films
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks for the advice everybody I’ll go watch it.
View Original Postsymbv wrote:The film is called "The Secret World of Arrietty" not "The Borrower Arrietty" in the west? Or is it just the name used in Canada? Because I think I have seen "The Borrower Arrietty" used in some English source...

According to the ever loving information database known as Wikipedia The secert world of Arrietty is its name in North America
The Secret World of Arrietty, known in Japan as The Borrower Arrietty (借りぐらしのアリエッティ Kari-gurashi no Arietti?) and in the UK and Australia as Arrietty

View Original Postsymbv wrote:But it does not sound right. You mean you have not seen other Ghibli films like Nausicaa, Totoro, Laputa, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo or Porco Rosso???

Yeah the only Ghibli film I have seen was Mononoke, funny thing is I watched it in school of all places and had to do a project on it (at the moment I can’t remember the project though). All of the grade eights had to watch it in the cafeteria via a large projector and it was an interesting experience, seeing the faces of students who normally don’t watch anime was priceless (facial expressions ranging from “WTF is this I don’t even” to amazement).
View Original Postsymbv wrote:You should drop all your Gundam and rush to check all these films first first!

yeah I think I will drop everything and watch them all (well everything except the currently airing stuff)

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Let me help you with the list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghi ... ture_films

many thanks hmmmm. I guess I’ll start with castle in the sky or spirited away

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:56 am

Thread reminds me that I have yet to watch Porco Rosso.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:43 pm

According to info on the Madman forums, Australia is going to be getting the Blu-Ray release of Howl's Moving Castle and Arrietty sometime in May. Personally I'd been hoping they'd do My Neighbour Totoro next, but as I haven't seen Howl in a couple of years this would be a good reason to see it again.
Voluntary Illusion.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

I'd rather be a pig, than a reindeer-rider. B)

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:10 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Thread reminds me that I have yet to watch Porco Rosso.

My favorite of their works, it does well to capture the look of the 1930's Mediterranean. By far, the film is the most explicit when it comes Miyuzaki's own love of aviation, it even has a rather beautiful sequence adapted from a short war story by Roald Dahl.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind seeing Ghibli adapting one of his works. James & the Giant Peach, George's Marvellous Medicine, The BFG, and of course, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. Having adapted two British works already, I can't help but wonder if they don't already have them in mind, these works certainly align well with the aesthetic they're going for.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:59 am

[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Return to “Anime and Manga”