Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Last Movie You Watched

Postby Oz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Since the Most Watched thread has come to its end I think it's time to revive the "original" film thread, Last Movie You Watched.

There's one rule: in order to avoid spam write at least a sentence or two about what you think about the movie you're posting about.

Kaneto Shindo's Children of Hiroshima: A manipulative but not demonizing portrayal of the aftermaths of the atomic bomb. Shindo's direction is smart despite relying on sentimentality and he manages to create a truly haunting atmosphere. A striking portrayal of huge loss that can never be forgotten.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Well, I went to see Shelock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows this friday (30th Dec) with my girlfriend and a friend of mine and his wife and the wife's brother.

It was... interesting experience. I haven't seen the first one, and I had only seen a trailer of this movie beforehand. I kind of knew to expect an action flick but... maybe not to this extent. My idea of Sherlock Holmes isn't James Bond, sorry. About the only thing I could find matching my view of Sherlock in this movie was his substance abuse and "insane genius" that's looked at through the eyes of Dr. Watson. But even that was done a bit over-the-top for my tastes. Anyway, it was still kind of an entertaining movie nevertheless. (And no, I didn't expect Citizen Kane 2, so I guess it's all good.)

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:44 pm

The Trotsky, a Canadian indie comedy that my hipster friend made me watch. In case the words "indie comedy" aren't enough of a tipoff... it was pretty bad.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:59 pm

The Dark Knight

It's brilliance has dimmed since the first time I've watched it, but it's still the best superhero movie ever made in my opinion. I'd forgotten how awesome the score was.

BTW, what's the spam warning all about?
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:12 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:BTW, what's the spam warning all about?
Hit and run posts that just name a movie and add maybe a phrase or so extra really are things you might tweet or put on Facebook. We would like to encourage a little more thought than that in contributions to the board.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Just saw Mamma Mia! with my dad because it was on Television.
A great little film, but the younger cast is mostly shit compared to the real name actors.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Manila Kingpin at the local cinema. Probably one of the best Filipino-made action movies of all time, and what's more, it's been shot entirely in black-and-white for the classic film-noir feel. Made all other MMFF 2011 entries look like total corny recycled shit in comparison.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:39 pm

The best thing about the new Sherlock Holmes movie is Stephen Fry plays Mycroft.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:48 pm

The Dark Knight.

I actually really liked the movie, I hope The Dark Knight Rises is just as good.

And actually, I've owned this movie on DVD since 2008 and didn't watch the whole movie until yesterday.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:27 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:The Dark Knight.

I actually really liked the movie, I hope The Dark Knight Rises is just as good.

And actually, I've owned this movie on DVD since 2008 and didn't watch the whole movie until yesterday.

DERP.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:16 am

Watched Summer Wars. This was a great movie, even better then I'd been expecting. One of those few times when all the hype turns out to be true.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:24 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Watched Summer Wars. This was a great movie, even better then I'd been expecting. One of those few times when all the hype turns out to be true.

Have you seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time? It's by the same director, Mamoru Hosoda. I like how different the two are in terms of scale and focus, but both of them are clearly the work of the same director (form and art design reveal Hosoda's involvement).
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:19 pm

^
Not to mention that everyone has a sadamotoface in both films
:lol:

Re-watched Love Exposure today with a friend of mine who hasn´t seen a single film non-western film(maybe a Ghibli film or two) and really wanted to see what the 4 hour length was about.
Needless to say, he was left a little confused at some parts, but generally liked the film.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person under age 35 who honestly believes The Dark Knight to be overhyped crap.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:13 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person under age 35 who honestly believes The Dark Knight to be overhyped crap.

Being hipster is suffering?

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:17 pm

At least I know I'm not the only one who resents being called a hipster just because I happen to dislike something that is popular.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Of course the film was overhyped, but it's debatable whether or not the film was crap. I'm glad though I was capable of entering the film being completely neutral towards it.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Too often people have their judgement or opinion affected by hypes. At the end they allow people to decide what is good or bad for them - either they love it because others love it or they dislike it because others love it.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:33 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Have you seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time? It's by the same director, Mamoru Hosoda. I like how different the two are in terms of scale and focus, but both of them are clearly the work of the same director (form and art design reveal Hosoda's involvement).
Not yet. It's one of those movies I keep planning to see but somehow never do.

I have heard that SW is the better of the two. Would you agree with that?
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:22 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I have heard that SW is the better of the two. Would you agree with that?

It depends on what sort of film you prefer. I think Hosoda does equally great jobs with both films. Whereas SW was an epic film with a huge cast and worldwide terror, TGWLTT focuses on a few characters stuck in their personal conflict. Even the dislikers of the film like it up to the last third which divides the audience. Personally I like it as it is and after the second view I didn't find it confusing at all. Furthermore, I saw the first cinematic adaptation of the same story (from the 80's) and concluded that Hosoda's treatment is as good as it gets.

Return to “Film and Video”