Everyone's favorite manga topic (again)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Yup. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:28 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:For me, the fact that manga!Asuka acts nothing like her prototype...

What, she failed to lament over how Shinji's behavior was completely un-Rzhevsky, and close out everything she said with "In Soviet Russia..."?

I do believe NGE!Asuka would be the Test type in this lineage Professor.

Which means Manga!Asuka is the production type, :guffaw: and free to brag about herself all she wishes, while the prior takes all the glory.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:You're a couple of stages behind, it seems.

I dunno, we know EVA-02 can go berserk, the question is if Mr. Sadamoto will see fit to let it happen.

Either way, I think I'm going to enjoy watching this thing squirm as it vainly attempts to equate its message to the series.

Creating different characters who make different choices that still demonstrate the same point was possible, but Mr. Sadamoto squandered that chance in the name of fanboyism.

Where he might have complimented, he sought only to *improve*, and instead became the lesser for it.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Yup. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:30 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:What, she failed to lament over how Shinji's behavior was completely un-Rzhevsky, and close out everything she said with "In Soviet Russia..."?
That too.

I dunno, we know EVA-02 can go berserk, the question is if Mr. Sadamoto will see fit to let it happen.
That's no longer the issue. The question is whether EVA-02 has aerial capabilities.

Creating different characters who make different choices that still demonstrate the same point was possible, but Mr. Sadamoto squandered that chance in the name of fanboyism.
QFMFT
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Yup. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That's no longer the issue. The question is whether EVA-02 has aerial capabilities.

Ah, I see, well I suppose that depends on where F-Type equipment's canonicity stands. :leekspin:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Brainman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Well, and honestly, it's never too late for an ass-pull.
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:35 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Just want to double check if there is that statement comes with some context and if there is anything "lost in translation", and when he said that. It is quite something for Sadamoto to say he does not understand Asuka when he is one of the earliest involved in the creation of Evangelion.

I don't think it's likely Sadamoto made the comments in question. I pulled up a few of the comments Sadamoto made on Rei and Asuka and attempted to translate them. I'm not confident in some of the translations, and very much appreciate corrections. But maybe some people will find them interesting.

Edit: Many, many thanks to symbv for providing corrections!! I edited the translations to incorporate them.

From a 1997 Newtype interview:

http://evangeliwon.blog107.fc2.com/blog-entry-461.html

――漫画にも、先日発売された第4巻でアスカが登場しましたが、アスカについてはどんな女の子にしようとお考えですか。

-- Asuka appeared in the fourth volume of the manga, which recently went on sale. What sort of girl do you intend to make Asuka?

貞本 アスカは性格的に、いい子ぶっていたり、2面性があるところなんかはアニメにも通じるんですが、シンジにとってアスカが、“異性”として、ある程度尊敬できる、あこがれを感じるような存在にできたらなと思っています。時には友達、時にはライバル、でも時には異性、と。

Sadamoto: Like in the anime, Asuka will act like she is a "good girl," but have a second aspect to her personality. I think it would be good if I can make Asuka an existence that, to Shinji as a member of opposite sex, he can respect to a certain extent and feels longing for. Sometimes a friend, sometimes a rival, but sometimes a member of the opposite sex.

アスカとシンジが使徒を倒すためにユニゾンを組む話では、アニメであったキスシーンをあえてやらなかったんですよ。男から見たら初めてのキスというのは魅力的な事件ではある。でもキスってなんだろうと考えちゃうと、好きな子と肉体的に結ばれる最初の事件じゃないですか。それよりも精神的なつながりが先のほうが、僕にはリアリティーがあるかなと。それに男と女の精神的なつながりも、14歳だと大人よりピュアに描ける気がして。漫画で描いた、2人が音楽に合わせて踊る場面が、僕にとってはキスみたいなものですね。

I decided not to do the kiss scene that was present in the anime as part of the storyline where Asuka and Shinji have to come together in unison in order to defeat the angel. From a boy's point of view, the first kiss is an enchanting incident. But if you start to think about what a kiss is, isn't it the first incident where you connect physically with the girl you love? But to me it is more real that before that psychological connection comes first. Moreover, I felt I could depict the psychological connection between fourteen-year-olds as being more pure than that between adults. For me, the scene depicted in the manga where they dance together to the music is something like a kiss.

――漫画ではアスカの出生が試験管ベビーということになっていますね。

-- In the manga, Asuka is born as a test tube baby.

貞本 アスカには、結構辛いゆがんだ部分があって、それを強く出そうと思ったんです。アスカは異性同士で愛し合って生まれた子ではない、という。アスカの母は男に愛されなかった。彼女もそれを引きずって、男なんていなくても生きていけると思っている。でも心のどこかで父や男性的なものを求めていて、加持に甘えたり、シンジに対しても、拒否してる部分と、自分を抑えきれない感情があって、だんだんシンジを好きになっていく。そんなふうに描けたらいいと思ってます。

Sadamoto: Asuka has parts of her that are painful and distorted, and I wanted to bring that out more strongly, the fact that Asuka's not a child who was born of a loving union between two members of the opposite sex. Asuka's mother wasn't loved by her father. Asuka's mother did not receive the love of a man. [Asuka] was strongly influenced by that and thought that she can just live without any man in her life. However, as somewhere in her heart she wants a father or someone masculine, she acts dependently towards Kaji, and even towards Shinji, there is a part of her that rejects him, and a feeling beyond her control where she gradually comes to like him. I thought it would be good if I could depict [things] in this way.

――レイについてはいかがですか。

-- How is it with Rei?

貞本 シンジにとって、アスカがあこがれの異性の象徴だとすると、レイは“母性”だと思っています。シンジの母親の遺伝子をもっているみたいだし。僕自身が、アスカやレイどっちが好きかと言うと、たぶんレイで、どこか母性的なものをもっていて、シンジがくじけそうになったら優しく“けなして”くれるわけです。レイはシンジに「また、逃げるのね」って、結構、トドメを指すようなきついことを言うんですが、友達が言ったら絶好になってしまうようなことばなのに、なぜかそうならない。それは母親は絶対に子供を見放さないからなんです。シンジにとって、レイはそんな存在なのかなと。

Sadamoto: I think, if you take Asuka as being, for Shinji, a symbol of the longed-for opposite sex, Rei is "maternal." For one, it seems like she has the genetic material of Shinji's mother. For myself, if I am asked who between Asuka and Rei I like more, it is probably because somewhere in Rei there is something motherly, and when Shinji looks disheartened she "scolds" him ever so softly. Rei asks Shinji, "Are you running away again?" Quite often she says harsh things that really get down to the point. It would be ideal if a friend of his would say it, but for some reason that doesn't happen. That [action of Rei's] is because a mother will absolutely not abandon her child. I think that, for Shinji, Rei is that sort of motherly existence.

From a 1996 Pafu interview:

http://johakyu.net/lib/2007/07/2007-07-30-000585.php

レイはおかげさまで評判がいいんですけど、僕としては自分の中の恥ずかしい、ドロドロした部分、S願望みたいなもの、を取りだして作ったキャラなんです。今までに描いたことのなかったタイプだったので、あれやこれや悩みながら作りました。アスカは、そういう意味では僕の中のM願望の部分が出たキャラです。

Sadamoto: I have become popular thanks to Rei, but for me, she is a character I created by drawing on an embarassing, messy part, something like a sadistic desire, within myself. She's a type of character I've never drawn before now, and I had all sorts of worries while creating her. Asuka, in this sense, is a character where the masochistic part of me emerges.

A related comment by Anno, probably under the influence of Sadamoto (and after a few drinks ^__^):

http://johakyu.net/lib/2007/07/2007-07-27-000535.php

庵野「S(サディスト)の人は、間違いなくレイにいきますよね、S願望で。M(マゾヒスト)の人はアスカにいくと思うんですけどね。で、同世代の年代の女の人と、精神的に子どもの人はミサトにいく傾向がある。」

Anno: Sadists, without question, go to Rei, because of their sadistic desires. I believe that masochists go to Asuka. And, there is a tendency for women of the same generation and people who are children mentally to go to Misato.

Finally, a fairly blunt comment from Sadamoto at a recent speaking appearance, according to someone who was in attendance:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/gc4332/archives/51631942.html

「よく、綾波レイ派かアスカ派かと聞かれるけど、どっちでもないです。あんな暗い子やはっちゃけた子はいやです笑。案外、女の子の趣味は普通なので…」
「キャラクターでは、おじさんキャラが好きですね。エヴァでいうと、ゲンドウとか冬月とか」

I'm often asked if I am a Rei fan or an Asuka fan, but I'm neither one. I dislike such gloomy or frivolous girls. (laughs) Surprisingly, I have an ordinary taste in girls...

The characters I like are the older males. In Eva, Gendo and Fuyutsuki.
Last edited by 1731298478 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Wow, thanks for that, 1731! Some interesting stuff in there. That Anno quote is hilarious.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks a lot 1731298478-kun !! When someone makes an unusual claim, it always get the skeptical me to ask for source and context. Fortunately it is not that Sadamoto admitted that he does not understand Asuka as character, but far from it.

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:I don't think it's likely Sadamoto made the comments in question. I pulled up a few of the comments Sadamoto made on Rei and Asuka and attempted to translate them. I'm not confident in some of the translations, and very much appreciate corrections. But maybe some people will find them interesting.

From a 1997 Newtype interview:

http://evangeliwon.blog107.fc2.com/blog-entry-461.html

There are a few places where I will translate a bit differently...

貞本 アスカは性格的に、いい子ぶっていたり、2面性があるところなんかはアニメにも通じるんですが、シンジにとってアスカが、“異性”として、ある程度尊敬できる、あこがれを感じるような存在にできたらなと思っています。時には友達、時にはライバル、でも時には異性、と。

Sadamoto: Like in the anime, Asuka will act like she is a "good girl," but have a second aspect to her personality. To a certain extent she is valuable as "the opposite sex" in relation to Shinji. I think it would be good if I can make her an "existence" [he] feels longing for. Sometimes a friend, sometimes a rival, but sometimes a member of the opposite sex.

シンジにとってアスカが、“異性”として、ある程度尊敬できる、あこがれを感じるような存在にできたらなと思っています。
I think it would be good if I can make Asuka an existence that, to Shinji as a member of opposite sex, he can respect to a certain extent and feels longing for.

アスカとシンジが使徒を倒すためにユニゾンを組む話では、アニメであったキスシーンをあえてやらなかったんですよ。男から見たら初めてのキスというのは魅力的な事件ではある。でもキスってなんだろうと考えちゃうと、好きな子と肉体的に結ばれる最初の事件じゃないですか。それよりも精神的なつながりが先のほうが、僕にはリアリティーがあるかなと。それに男と女の精神的なつながりも、14歳だと大人よりピュアに描ける気がして。漫画で描いた、2人が音楽に合わせて踊る場面が、僕にとってはキスみたいなものですね。

I decided not to do the kiss scene that was present in the anime as part of the storyline where Asuka and Shinji have to come together in unison in order to defeat the angel. For a boy, one's first kiss is an enchanting experience. When you think about what a kiss is, isn't it the very first time you come together physically with someone you like? I think the reality is more that it's the first psychological connection. Moreover, I felt I could depict the psychological connection between fourteen-year-olds as being more pure than that between adults. For me, the scene depicted in the manga where they dance together to the music is something like a kiss.

I would use some word that stresses the physical connection part as the word 肉体的に結ばれる is more than coming together (like walking and holding hands side by side) but has a sexual component. And I think それよりも精神的なつながりが先のほうが should be translated differently.

男から見たら初めてのキスというのは魅力的な事件ではある。でもキスってなんだろうと考えちゃうと、好きな子と肉体的に結ばれる最初の事件じゃないですか。それよりも精神的なつながりが先のほうが、僕にはリアリティーがあるかなと。
From a boy's point of view, the first kiss is an enchanting incident. But if you start to think about what a kiss is, isn't it the first incident where you connect physically with the girl you love? But to me it is more real that before that psychological connection comes first.

貞本 アスカには、結構辛いゆがんだ部分があって、それを強く出そうと思ったんです。アスカは異性同士で愛し合って生まれた子ではない、という。アスカの母は男に愛されなかった。彼女もそれを引きずって、男なんていなくても生きていけると思っている。でも心のどこかで父や男性的なものを求めていて、加持に甘えたり、シンジに対しても、拒否してる部分と、自分を抑えきれない感情があって、だんだんシンジを好きになっていく。そんなふうに描けたらいいと思ってます。

Sadamoto: Asuka has parts of her that are painful and distorted, and I wanted to bring that out more strongly, the fact that Asuka's not a child who was born of a loving union between two members of the opposite sex. Asuka's mother wasn't loved by her father. I thought that Asuka, bearing that as well, could be born without a man['s involvement]. However, as somewhere in her heart she wants a father or someone masculine, she acts dependently towards Kaji, and even towards Shinji, there is a part of her that rejects him, and a feeling beyond her control where she gradually comes to like him. I thought it would be good if I could depict [things] in this way.

The original text アスカの母は男に愛されなかった。 only said her mother was not loved by any man. It is not about one particular man, but men in general.
And the translation of "I thought that Asuka, bearing that as well, could be born without a man['s involvement]." is not correct.

アスカの母は男に愛されなかった。彼女もそれを引きずって、男なんていなくても生きていけると思っている。
Asuka's mother did not receive the love of a man. [Asuka] was strongly influenced by that and thought that she can just live without any man in her life.

貞本 シンジにとって、アスカがあこがれの異性の象徴だとすると、レイは“母性”だと思っています。シンジの母親の遺伝子をもっているみたいだし。僕自身が、アスカやレイどっちが好きかと言うと、たぶんレイで、どこか母性的なものをもっていて、シンジがくじけそうになったら優しく“けなして”くれるわけです。レイはシンジに「また、逃げるのね」って、結構、トドメを指すようなきついことを言うんですが、友達が言ったら絶好になってしまうようなことばなのに、なぜかそうならない。それは母親は絶対に子供を見放さないからなんです。シンジにとって、レイはそんな存在なのかなと。

Sadamoto: I think, if you take Asuka as being, for Shinji, a symbol of the longed-for opposite sex, Rei is "maternal." It seems like she has the genetic material of Shinji's mother. If I were to say myself who I like [?] between Asuka and Rei, probably with Rei, she has somewhere within her something motherly, and she "speaks harshly" to Shinji in a kind manner when it seems that he will fall apart. Rei asks Shinji, "Are you running away again?" [i]She uses harsh words towards him that will put a stop to it. It would be ideal if a friend of his would say it, but for some reason that doesn't happen. That [action of Rei's] is because a mother will absolutely not abandon her child. I think that, for Shinji, Rei is that sort of motherly existence.

> If I were to say myself who I like [?] between Asuka and Rei
I guess the translation is correct. I may translate it as "For myself, if I am asked who between Asuka and Rei I like more"

I may also add "For one," in front of " It seems like she has the genetic material of Shinji's mother." to convey the subtle expression of だし.

くじけそうになったら becoming "will fall apart" seems a bit too strong. くじける is more like "feeling down" "getting dispirited". I get くじける once in a while but I never feel like falling apart. :wink:
I also think けなして can simply be translated as "scolding" which may be better than "speaks harshly".

たぶんレイで、どこか母性的なものをもっていて、シンジがくじけそうになったら優しく“けなして”くれるわけです
It is probably because somewhere in Rei there is something motherly, and when Shinji looks hisheartened she "scolds" him ever so softly.

トドメを指す is a proverb that means "straight to the point" (or "deliver the final blow" which does not apply here), so a literal translation may not be best:

結構、トドメを指すようなきついことを言うんですが、
Quite often she says harsh things that really get down to the point.

From a 1996 Pafu interview:
http://johakyu.net/lib/2007/07/2007-07-30-000585.php

Quote:
レイはおかげさまで評判がいいんですけど、僕としては自分の中の恥ずかしい、ドロドロした部分、S願望みたいなもの、を取りだして作ったキャラなんです。今までに描いたことのなかったタイプだったので、あれやこれや悩みながら作りました。アスカは、そういう意味では僕の中のM願望の部分が出たキャラです。

Sadamoto: I have become popular thanks to Rei, but for me, she is a character I created by drawing on an embarassing, messy part, something sadist-like, within myself. She's a type of character I've never drawn before now, and I had all sorts of worries while creating her. Asuka, in this sense, is a character where the masochistic part of me emerges.

S願望 is more like "Sadist-wannabe" (or as you translated later "sadistic desire") but I guess just saying "sadist" is also fine. Same with M願望 for masochistic.

Perhaps the part "I had all sorts of worries while creating her" got interpreted that he does not understand Asuka's character?? But that would be way out of context and off the mark (such worries and struggles in character design is very common for writers).

A related comment by Anno, probably under the influence of Sadamoto (and after a few drinks ^__^):
http://johakyu.net/lib/2007/07/2007-07-27-000535.php

Quote:
庵野「S(サディスト)の人は、間違いなくレイにいきますよね、S願望で。M(マゾヒスト)の人はアスカにいくと思うんですけどね。で、同世代の年代の女の人と、精神的に子どもの人はミサトにいく傾向がある。」

Anno: Sadists, without question, go to Rei, because of their sadistic desires. I believe that masochists go to Asuka. And, there is a tendency for women of the same generation and people who are children mentally to go to Misato.

Actually I think there is a lot of truth in it. Perhaps you get the feeling that he said it after a few drinks because it sounded so nakedly true? :) For me, I really have a certain self-awareness of something of a masochist in me that I will be most happy to be abused by a lovely and intelligent girl like Asuka :lol:

Finally, a fairly blunt comment from Sadamoto at a recent speaking appearance, according to someone who was in attendance:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/gc4332/archives/51631942.html

Quote:

I'm often asked if I am a Rei fan or an Asuka fan, but I'm neither one. I dislike such gloomy or frivolous girls. (laughs) Surprisingly, I have an ordinary taste in girls...

The characters I like are the older males. In Eva, Gendo and Fuyutsuki.

He is just being honest :) The blogger also noted that a writer being able to draw appealing female characters does not necessarily mean that he must like women :) And then he proceeded to write that it is ANNO himself who likes women :lol: (one reason he quoted is in his first draft of Eva every character is female and apparently once said he just wanted to make a "robot version" of "Sailor Moon" :lol: ) He also mentioned how he can fully understand the travails of Shinji and can identify himself with him, a character who was forced to fight but did not want to. Also another piece of evidence of how many in the west failed to grasp why there is so little hate and dislike towards Shinji in Japan.

There are also other interesting things from the Sadamoto's talk, like the brainstorming to come up with various things is Eva was never much of a struggle and most of the things just came out naturally from chatting. Sadamoto loved to read things about secret history and things like the Lost Continent MU so he came up with the Seele thing. They also raised the idea of getting Nazi involved, but dropped because they knew it would not be accepted in the industry. Another interesting thing was why the manga came before the anime -- Sadamoto said it was a strategy to make sure Eva copyrights would really go to Gainax (apparently the anime production studio did not always get the full copyrights). Finally Sadamoto touched upon the idea of "SF evolution" when he drew Eva but on Eva there was not much else.

At the end there was mini-live by Yoko Takahashi, who sang two songs - Cruel Angels' Thesis and Soul's Refrain.
Last edited by symbv on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:11 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Actually I think there is a lot of truth in it. Perhaps you get the feeling that he said it after a few drinks because it sounded so nakedly true? :) For me, I really have a certain self-awareness of something of a masochist in me that I will be most happy to be abused by a lovely and intelligent girl like Asuka :lol:

I am not sure how much Anno knows about the roots of masochistic tendencies, but they aren't necessarily related to a desire to experience pain/harm. In a psychological sense it's more that someone with masochistic tendencies is willing to endure unreasonable amounts of hardship in return for love/affection/acceptance/whatever. In that sense I think Anno's right -- if one sees Asuka as emblematic of how things work in real life they'll be drawn to her because they think that so long as they can put up with her what they get in return will at least be real (vs. the fantasy represented by Rei).

I'm a little fuzzier on his logic with Rei, but I suspect it's more about control than sadism per se. There's probably something to this as well, given the extent to which the fanbase and the Gainax Cash Cow have twisted Rei into a caricature of what she actually is in the show (i.e., the marketed version of Rei is a gentle, submissive girl, basically every traditionalist's ideal woman. The extremely unnerving reasons behind her demeanor are generally swept under the rug, and I think this is telling).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 pm

I think the M and S as used in Japanese popular culture (it is not just anime otaku words, mind you, but I heard very often on mainstream media in Japan these days) is used a lot more casually and quite a bit less psychiatric inclined than in the west. People use words like M and S quite often in everyday talk -- like: what type of person you are? M or S? Very M? Very S? It is even more popular among the young generation. So what Anno said is clearly within the mood of the times, and is meant to be understood as being more tolerant of (or preferred) being on the aggressive or forceful side or the passive side taking the aggression. Under this context I can clearly identify with what Anno said and believe he is telling quite a bit of truth, at least regarding his compatriot Japanese people.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:42 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Thanks a lot 1731298478-kun !!

And thank you very much for your corrections!! ^__^

View Original Postsymbv wrote:But to me it is more real that before that psychological connection comes first.

This makes much more sense now.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:And the translation of "I thought that Asuka, bearing that as well, could be born without a man['s involvement]." is not correct.

Ah, I carelessly misread that.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:たぶんレイで、どこか母性的なものをもっていて、シンジがくじけそうになったら優しく“けなして”くれるわけです
It is probably because somewhere in Rei there is something motherly, and when Shinji looks hisheartened she "scolds" him ever so softly.

This is the part Sadamoto began by saying, "僕自身が、アスカやレイどっちが好きかと言うと". Is he implying he prefers Rei because he sees her as "motherly"?

View Original Postsymbv wrote:トドメを指す is a proverb that means "straight to the point" (or "deliver the final blow" which does not apply here), so a literal translation may not be best:

Ah, I didn't know the sense of "トドメを指す." That is much clearer.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Perhaps the part "I had all sorts of worries while creating her" got interpreted that he does not understand Asuka's character?? But that would be way out of context and off the mark (such worries and struggles in character design is very common for writers).

I actually thought he was still talking about Rei here, that he was worried because she came from this darker, embarrassing part of him...

Actually I think there is a lot of truth in it. Perhaps you get the feeling that he said it after a few drinks because it sounded so nakedly true? :)

I had that feeling about a few parts of this interview, but I think also there are some references to him drinking ... Earlier there was "(すでに酒しか目がいってない)" and later "(笑・すでに酔ってる)" .. though at the very top it seems he denied drinking so much ..

(one reason he quoted is in his first draft of Eva every character is female and apparently once said he just wanted to make a "robot version" of "Sailor Moon" :lol: )

This is too funny, and somehow it seems to explain a couple of things as well ^^

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Brainman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:01 am

Wow. What's interesting about all that is it seems Sadamoto's intent was wildly different than what fans generally accuse him of in terms of character rivalry. Which is probably why I thought I read something else (likely misquoted/out of context statement). But this is pretty reassuring.

Very good find.
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:08 am

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:This is the part Sadamoto began by saying, "僕自身が、アスカやレイどっちが好きかと言うと". Is he implying he prefers Rei because he sees her as "motherly"?

That's right. Although given what he said in the seminar later, he likes the old men even more :lol:

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:I actually thought he was still talking about Rei here, that he was worried because she came from this darker, embarrassing part of him...

Hmm... The whole sentence "僕としては自分の中の恥ずかしい、ドロドロした部分、S願望みたいなもの、を取りだして作ったキャラなんです。今までに描いたことのなかったタイプだったので、あれやこれや悩みながら作りました。" seems to indicate that あれやこれや悩みながら作りました refers to creation of the Asuka character. Also, the word 悩み seems to be more about struggling in thoughts about how best to render the character rather than worrying about what happens to the character.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:51 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Hmm... The whole sentence "僕としては自分の中の恥ずかしい、ドロドロした部分、S願望みたいなもの、を取りだして作ったキャラなんです。今までに描いたことのなかったタイプだったので、あれやこれや悩みながら作りました。" seems to indicate that あれやこれや悩みながら作りました refers to creation of the Asuka character.

Actually, I think this is my fault, because of the way I formatted it. In the source interview ([url]http://johakyu.net/lib/2007/07/2007-07-30-000585.php[/url]) the quotes are formatted in a way that indicates (I think, at least) that he's referring to Rei. I also omitted him mentioning right after that he thought of Nadia when he got the request to do Asuka, so he probably didn't think of Asuka as a kind of character he had never depicted before. Though I might still be mistaken.

Here's the original version:
 レイはおかげさまで評判がいいんですけど、僕としては自分の中の恥ずかしい、ドロドロした部分、S願望みたいなもの、を取りだして作ったキャラなんです。今までに描いたことのなかったタイプだったので、あれやこれや悩みながら作りました。
 アスカは、そういう意味では僕の中のM願望の部分が出たキャラです。これは発注もらってすぐに"ナディアだな"と(笑)。

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:29 am

My apologies, much of the fault was on my part too. With closer look, that sentence was indeed about Rei, even in your original post. Sadamoto referred to "S-desire" from an author/reader/audience point of view. And this matches nicely with Anno's comment that S-type people would gravitate towards Rei. It is quite clear now!
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:05 pm

that was a interesting read thanks for the translation Symbv and 1731298478
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”