What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:14 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:You know, this begs the question (and this addresses Xard's quote on SEED Destiny's time slot too) how do you people know these time slots? :???:
There's this research tool called the internet. You should try it some time.

Would someone tell me what ">insert writing here" means? Please?
In old style 7-bit ASCII based mail and news agents, quoted text was marked with a leading > on the line. This is a derived usage meant to highlight the quoted remark.

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Anyone able to recommend a fall anime that isn't horrible or mediocre?
It all looks pretty dreadful -- even Horizon, which looked from first summary to be a maybe worth watching SF-ish thing turns out to be shallow fanservice. The only one I'm holding any hope for is the josei series Madhouse are doing, and that's a forlorn hope at best.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm just going to add my two cents into this whole gundam debate (seeing as how I'm a self proclaimed gundam expert (I'm not even going to get in to this loli debate)) the whole purpose to gundam is to sell gunpla. Gunpla is roughly 95 percent of all plastic model kit sales in Japan. Gunpla is the whole reason gundam got back on the air again (as the orginal was cancled). The gundam movies helped zeta gundam get on the air but ultimatly it was the gunpla that got the show on tv (gundam is bandai's cash cow).

@ xard regarding seed's air time I'm pretty sure it aired at 6:30 pm (I might be wrong though). Seed got into big trouble because of kira and flea'a bed room sceen in episode 16 there were major complaints from parents as they did not want their kids exposed to that. So seed had to air at a time when children could watch it.

To sum up my little rant gundam is all about selling gunpla anything else such as the homo lust for the fangirls is just a bonus

(Oh and sorry if my spelling sucks I wrote this post on my phone)
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Double standards, keep them, but don't advertise. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:54 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:He also said it's aimed for adults and had a midnight time slot.

Yes, for Nanoha, I was talking about Tamers there, a show made for kids, broadcasting nude silhouettes of its cast (10 year olds) unedited here in the USA, the very thing you tried to finger as "offensive" in Nanoha, that, compared to Tamers, wasn't given even a fraction of the same amount of screen time.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:You know, this begs the question

That's not the right usage of that phrase, what you should have said is "brings on the question".

Sorry, it's a peeve Reichu passed onto me.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:(and this addresses Xard's quote on SEED Destiny's time slot too) how do you people know these time slots? :???:

I know when Tamers was on because it's a kid's show, thus, it would typically be played at primetime.

With shows not made for kids, it's a safe bet it was set in the midnight time slot, where virtually all anime is found now in Japan, a trend Evangelion itself helped make happen after offending average Japanese sensibilities one too many times.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Because whats her name was in a Siren outfit for three minutes? I'll admit that was disturbing, but three minutes isn't enough to drag down the entire series.

It's funny then that you'll hold the transformation sequences against a series, which typically last only a few seconds.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I'm not using double standards,

TDSA, I probably avoid watching these series for the exact reasons you do, but I don't go around chiding others of how "gross" or "unmanly" it is, and you know why?

Because as everyone here has been trying to show you, if you take this stance, then damn near all of anime is put into shades of gray.

Insisting that your gray is somehow less dark than another shade is both tiresome and pointless, this isn't about morality, this is about taste, what you, personally, can stand before an alarm goes off in your head.

If it's about morality, then why the hell did you watch Evangelion? It has sexual imagery up the wazoo, both far more in explicit detail and quanity than Nanoha, and all for nothing more than the sake of "F*ck, why not?"

Hell, in Aquarion, every damn time they enter the robot, they're having an orgasm, that fact alone was having Grumpy Jii-san rolling his eyes. Oh, F*ck, there's those nude silhouettes again, better look away now!

In short, you don't get to play this card, because you are already knee-deep in it, whether you recognize it or not. You're the frog, and you've long since passed 100° in this pot.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:11 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote: @ xard regarding seed's air time I'm pretty sure it aired at 6:30 pm (I might be wrong though). Seed got into big trouble because of kira and flea'a bed room sceen in episode 16 there were major complaints from parents as they did not want their kids exposed to that. So seed had to air at a time when children could watch it.

oh yeah that's another possibility, some typically "late-nightish" anime do make it to those time slots now and then. Star Driver in last fall-winter for example. Still, SEED wasn't really aimed at little kids. Kids don't hoard and build Gunpla after all :lol:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:18 pm

View Original PostXard wrote: are you saying there hasn't prior to this been any reason to do so? :uhh:

Well, no. But I'm a Gundam otaku (or was back in the day), so this just rams the point home for me in the starkest possible terms. I don't think he could be more out of step with the fanbase (or even good taste) if he tried.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:42 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:oh yeah that's another possibility, some typically "late-nightish" anime do make it to those time slots now and then. Star Driver in last fall-winter for example. Still, SEED wasn't really aimed at little kids. Kids don't hoard and build Gunpla after all :lol:

Very very true. I'd say gundam's main audience is teenagers and people in they're 20's (and all of the model building comunity). Seed was one of the most popular gundams in a long time. Seed and seed destiny had huge viewer ratings so it only makes sense to put them into a prime time slot as more people could view it. The next gundam series after seed destiny 00 did not get as good ratings because it was not in a prime time slot (it's viewer rating was like 4.5 percent at it's best while seed's was like 7 or 8 percent (if I'm remembering the number's correctly))

(Again I apoligize if my spelling sucks I posted this on my phone again)
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:49 pm

Yes, for Nanoha, I was talking about Tamers there, a show made for kids, broadcasting nude silhouettes of its cast (10 year olds) unedited here in the USA, the very thing you tried to finger as "offensive" in Nanoha, that, compared to Tamers, wasn't given even a fraction of the same amount of screen time.

If it's about morality, then why the hell did you watch Evangelion? It has sexual imagery up the wazoo, both far more in explicit detail and quanity than Nanoha, and all for nothing more than the sake of "F*ck, why not?"

Hell, in Aquarion, every damn time they enter the robot, they're having an orgasm, that fact alone was having Grumpy Jii-san rolling his eyes. Oh, F*ck, there's those nude silhouettes again, better look away now!

The reasoning is quite simple: Nanoha (based on observation and evidence) is made for pedophiles/lolicon folks while the stuff I watch is not.
You're the frog, and you've long since passed 100° in this pot.

Sounds like I gained a heat resistance power up. :cool:
In short, you don't get to play this card

Why would I want the old maid card to begin with?

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:59 pm

To both sides of this lolicon fanservice debate all I have to say is "I don't care what your opinion is on this subject and neither should you"

Damn I'm missing steins gate and Tiger & Bunny already, all I got is penguindrum and also mlp fim. Though I have been checking out more eps of "Rose of Versailles" I hope the french revolution starts soon, so far its been 13 episodes of beorgeosiesploitation with no french revolution. I want to see some nobles beheaded already!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Oh tdsa your comedy always gives me a laugh

But in all seriousness maybe we should stop this loli debate things are starting to get a little intense imo (or maybe this is not intense as I've only been here for just over a month and I don't know what is intense here and what is not)

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:12 pm

To both sides of this lolicon fanservice debate all I have to say is "I don't care what your opinion is on this subject and neither should you"

But in all seriousness maybe we should stop this loli debate things are starting to get a little intense imo (or maybe this is not intense as I've only been here for just over a month and I don't know what is intense here and what is not)

Yeah, stopping this senseless debate is smart, lets all stop and start the new "what you watched" topic.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

No change, and no dice. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:17 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:The reasoning is quite simple: Nanoha (based on observation and evidence) is made for pedophiles/lolicon folks while the stuff I watch is not.

This reasoning fails, because the very things that allow true Lolicon shows to exist, also influences the anime you still like to watch, and incorporates its elements.

To attract a diverse audience, producers tend to do that.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Sounds like I gained a heat resistance power up.

Uh no, you really didn't.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Why would I want the old maid card to begin with?

As Ojii-san said in his review, the only thing that separates Aquarion from your typical Mecha series, is the orgamsic combination crap. Now I wonder why the series would put that in, who are they trying to attract exactly?

And in any case, even with those elements, you bought into it anyway. You can call Nanoha many things, but it never literally jerks off to itself.

Shades of gray, and your chosen shade is pretty damn dark. No matter how you try to spin it, you're not following a set moral code here, your determination was arbitrary.

Defectron wrote:"I don't care what your opinion is on this subject and neither should you"

Check back, that's what I said. The problem is TDSA didn't let sleeping dogs lie, and actively sought out the fans and said "This displeases me, your interest is sick, are you aware that you're all pedophiles for liking this?".

I'm not into these things anymore than he is, but I don't try to call others on it, because as I've stated, it just be hypocrisy.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Uh no, you really didn't.

And this link is used for what purpose exactly?
As Oji-san said in his review, the only thing that separates Aquarion from your typical Mecha series, is the orgamsic combination crap. Now I wonder why the series would put that in, who are they trying to attract exactly?

Oh yeah lets totally ignore

-Art styles
-New power up attacks (and in creative ways)
-Neat monsters of the week
-Likeable characters that actually do stuff
-Creative back story
-Awesome CGI

and whatnot.
You can call Nanoha many things, but it never literally jerks off to itself.

Aquarion and the likes weren't MADE FOR the lolicon crowd though.
you're not following a set moral code here

I am though.
"This displeases me, your interest is sick, are you aware that you're all pedophiles for liking this?".

This I did not say.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Alastor » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Yo, Go Nagai fan and genrnal /m/an here.

I'm wondering if TDSA has even read Nagai if he's bothered by Nanoha. Nagai's made some fucked up shit after all.

Also, I like SEED Destiny. My SEED Destiny's just called Super Robot Wars Z, which isn't a trainwreck.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm wondering if TDSA has even read Nagai if he's bothered by Nanoha.

I have never read manga nor do I ever intend to.
Nagai's made some fucked up shit after all.

I am aware he has made hentai and despite being a fan of his works I have zero intention of seeing hentai of any kind no matter who it's from.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

And the Double standard lives on. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:34 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:And this link is used for what purpose exactly?

See that thing on GNR's forehead? That's a vulva, and that only scratches the surface of the sexual imagery Evangelion plays with.

Not to mention, this is all played upon a girl with the body of a 14 year old, and her sexualizing was heavily played upon for the merchandise sales of the show.

Just because she has ample boobs and intelligence, doesn't make her any less a child.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Oh yeah lets totally ignore

You're in the minority for all points relating to characterization and story, while the CGI simply hasn't aged well. By and by, the reviewers say Aquarion was generic, and I see their point.

The actual new twist they gave, was just as I said, and once again I ask, who were they trying to attract with it?

Answer: Evidently, people who like to jack off to how awesome they (think) they are, or who just like smut like that in general.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Aquarion and the likes weren't MADE FOR the lolicon crowd though.

The debauchery it engages in isn't any improvement, but to each their own... which is precisely the point.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I am though.

No you're not, you just fail to recognize the pot you're in.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:This I did not say.

Didn't you? Remind me who you said Nanoha was made for again?

There's saying something, then there's implying, and you've done a great deal of both.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Alastor » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:46 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I have never read manga nor do I ever intend to.

I am aware he has made hentai and despite being a fan of his works I have zero intention of seeing hentai of any kind no matter who it's from.
...You're missing my point entirely.

You like things like Violence Jack and Devilman. These are gory as hell, chock full of nudity, and are utterly disturbing. Not to mention fucked up as all hell.

Yet you're bothered by featureless nudity in a Magical Girl show. When Nagai shows worse pretty often.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:12 pm

The debauchery it engages in isn't any improvement, but to each their own... which is precisely the point.

........What?
Answer: Evidently, people who like to jack off to how awesome they (think) they are, or who just like smut like that in general.

Or maybe they were just trying something new. (you're looking way too deep into that)
By and by, the reviewers say Aquarion was generic, and I see their point.

Only to someone that's seen a variety of anime genres and use trope logic.
See that thing on GNR's forehead? That's a vulva, and that only scratches the surface of the sexual imagery Evangelion plays with.

Not to mention, this is all played upon a girl with the body of a 14 year old, and her sexualizing was heavily played upon for the merchandise sales of the show.

Just because she has ample boobs and intelligence, doesn't make her any less a child.

There is a difference between teenagers and little kids. When it's done to teens it's a little weird and I don't care for it, but it is usually tolerable and somewhat understandable since they do somewhat resemble adults body wise. An elementary school kid? Then it's just plain wrong and that's my issue.
No you're not, you just fail to recognize the pot you're in.

Chairs are not cooking devices.
Yet you're bothered by featureless nudity in a Magical Girl show. When Nagai shows worse pretty often.

As screwy as Go Nagai stuff can get at least isn't made strictly for lolicon crowd, his main audience is usually for the action, horror, comedy, fantasy, and sci-fi crowd.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Great I said I'd would not get in the loli debate but here I go

In general most anime has it perverted moments hell everything has it's perverted moments. Human beings are naturally lustful and we have to take our pervyness out on something so people put fanservice in their shows. Now I don't like the over use of fan service (it's why I can't watch ikki tosen and go danner) but some people do and that's all right. All I can say is that people have their prefrences and better to take that out on something that is fictional.

Now can we end this debate now (sorry for getting in the middel of this) the omnislasing here is getting a little out of hand. Can't we all just agree to disagree before things get really ugly (again sorry for jumping in the middle of this)
Last edited by Final Messenger on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:40 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Anyway the only anime I'm watching right now is mawaru penguindrum, none of the other anime looks at all interesting to me right now. Anyone able to recommend a fall anime that isn't horrible or mediocre?

I am sure you have read the relevant thread viewtopic.php?t=11576 and also heard I say that 2011 fall is supposed to be the strongest season of the year. But since you and I hold a very different standard of what makes a horrible or mediocre anime (I think quite a few of this season's anime are really good if not great, for example), I am afraid I have nothing to recommend to you if you have not found what you want in that thread already.

And just my 2 cents: TDSA is indeed inconsistent about his standard, particularly regarding loli, but he always have very alternative view like aversion to talks or girliness. I am fine as long as he does not claim he is the authority of every anime, and we can let him keep his person standard and enjoy what he likes. :wink:
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:01 pm

I agree with symbv here

Also regarding the fall anime the ones I am looking foward to are gundam age and gundam unicorn 4 (I'm a huge gundam otaku if you guys could not tell)
Last edited by Final Messenger on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Old Stickies”