What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:10 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Nope. Here's another hint: Braaaaaaaains! Braaaaaaaains!

but I figured High School of the Dead was up your alley as it was due to high amount of action etc. :lol:

and zombies are monsters :P

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 pm

High School of the Dead

Ding ding ding! Congratulations Xard, you win money (not really)! :peace:
I wonder if Star Trek IV is the originator of this trend.

Kawamori: Darn it I need an idea to finish Macross 7. Crap, I blew the budget for ideas on Escaflowne, might as well rip off Star Trek and add a reference to an old time-y book. *throws dart as dart board with names* Moby Dick it is!

Kind of debating as to which series I should start next: Dancouga or Orguss? Hmm. On one hand I liked the remake series of the former. On the latter there are three less episodes. On the other hand the latter might also be Macross-y which gives a high chance of being all talking and lack of much action. On the other hand the former has more follow up OVAs.

Edit: And I finished Panda-Z. Very cute series although the lack of a good final showdown was a tad disappointing.
Last edited by Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:33 pm

Watched Blood-C, No 6, Usagi Drop.

Blood-C was pretty good, and maybe after todays episode Saya will finally realize dear old daddy is a big fat liar. I'm hoping for an epic beatdown when she does.

No.6 was alright, but this show is still playing games. We got a taste of the truth, but mostly it was just more vague mysteries. Stop being a tease and seal the deal, damn it.

Usagi Drop was it's usual awesome self. I really liked the ending with it's surprise gut check, though it was even better that Rin recovered so fast.

Edit: Watched Mawaru Penguindrum. . . . Yeah. That's about it.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:05 am

Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:13 am

Got ahold of the Trava: Fist Planet OVAs.
It´s pretty fun so far.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:51 am

Watched Dantalian no Shoka. It was pretty mediocre. The regular leads just don't hold a candle to the other two from last week. I did get a laugh from the ending when everyone in town basically gets high, though.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:15 am

View Original PostXard wrote:(did anyone but me and :bow: Tines watch Otome Youkai Zakuro anyway?
View Original PostSome idiot nobody cares about wrote:Otome Yōkai Zakuro (Demon Maiden Zakuro) was… surprisingly very good.

You could certainly do a lot worse, TDSA, and it's currently free.

Watching Macross Frontier. Started roughly the same time as Spud...but it looks like I'm going to beat them to the finish. I rule :]

Anyway- it's been pretty damn good. Singing is serious business.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:37 am

Sounds like typical magic girl junk, no thank you.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:47 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Sounds like typical magic girl junk, no thank you.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I'll never trash something I haven't experienced

You have a bright political career ahead of you.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:52 am

Maybe junk wasn't the right word I should have used.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Watched Kami-sama no Memo-chou. Most of the episode was pretty bland, though the ending was alright. Also, things turned out just like I thought they would. Which was of course no surprise.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:04 pm

So yeah, up to ep 8 in Highschool of The Dead, surprisingly entertaining. Yes, I know, the super sonic mammary glads, not really that big a deal as you think it might be. I wonder if I'll be considered "cultured" by you guys after I'm done this. :tongueflap:

Alrighty folks, it's time for once that YOU (No, not you, YOU!) get to decide what TDSA will watch next! Yep! What do you want TDSA to take on next? Well, you have two choices and depending on which one it is will determine whether or not you have to put up with me typing it sooner or later. :thumbsup: :biii: The winners of those that participate and had their choice be the winner will get to determine whether or not they can subject me to............. THAT. :deadhead:

So here are the choices!

First choice: Super Dimension Century Orguss, better known as The Robotech that never was, an 80s real robot anime featuring that guy that voiced Max from Macross and Sandman in Gravion. This anime's storyline is so out there that Banpresto practically started the SRW Z timeline based solely on this anime's events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECfGtSgPRhw

Second choice: Super Beast Machine God Dancouga, an 80s hybrid robot anime featuring four robots that transform into animals and combine using the power of life force energy. This anime and it's titular robot have become so legendary that it has become one of the most iconic mechs in anime history and is one of Banpresto's most used mech series for crossovers only after the likes of Gundam, Getter Robo, Mazinger, Raideen, Combattler V, and Daitarn 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vowqv6ec ... re=related

Alright folks, voting is done 40 hours after this post aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand GO!
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:17 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:So yeah, up to ep 8 in Highschool of The Dead, surprisingly entertaining. Yes, I know, the super sonic mammary glads, not really that big a deal as you think it might be. I wonder if I'll be considered "cultured" by you guys after I'm done this. :tongueflap:
HSotD is about as "cultured" as Red Sonja :lol:

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:55 am

TDSA, if you want to be cultured, watch the music videos for all Morning Musume singles (47 altogether). DO IT.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:08 am

@TDSA
There's a reason we don't have poll threads. Just flip a coin.

With HSotD being a pure fanservice title, you could go on to a more advanced series like Strike Witches which has plenty of scope for checking out the WW2 period detail in the hardware.

Recent series that might be closer to your tastes would be last year's Cobra remake, or this year's Level E. You might also be pleasantly surprised by last year's Giant Killing.

A few more of those under your belt, and then we can start thinking how to acquire you the veneer of culture.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:43 am

TDSA, if you want to be cultured, watch the music videos for all Morning Musume singles (47 altogether). DO IT.

With HSotD being a pure fanservice title, you could go on to a more advanced series like Strike Witches which has plenty of scope for checking out the WW2 period detail in the hardware.

Recent series that might be closer to your tastes would be last year's Cobra remake, or this year's Level E. You might also be pleasantly surprised by last year's Giant Killing.

A few more of those under your belt, and then we can start thinking how to acquire you the veneer of culture.

I have no interest sadly, sorry. Looks like TDSA will never get what the heck you folks are talking about, but I've been around longer than a year so I think I can survive without being culturalized.
There's a reason we don't have poll threads. Just flip a coin.

I can't choose and a mere coin flip on series this legendary and hard to find? It's actually kind of difficult, but if the local Macross fans are willing I'll see Orguss first so they can read the stuff I write to determine if they want to see it or not.

Well Macross folks, what do you say?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:26 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I can't choose and a mere coin flip on series this legendary and hard to find?

Those shows are reasonably well-known among mecha fans, but they're hardly legendary. And they're most certainly not "hard to find". Dancougar has had official subs since the VHS era. Orguss was licensed in 2007, and it has been available fully subbed ever since.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:37 am

They were hard for me to find. :(
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:21 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:No.6 was alright, but this show is still playing games. We got a taste of the truth, but mostly it was just more vague mysteries. Stop being a tease and seal the deal, damn it.

I'm pretty sure they can't put explicit gay sex to tv anime even if it airs after midnight...

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Sounds like typical magic girl junk, no thank you.

except that it's not magical girl series at all and it's not junk. It's pretty good little series though it has its problems in second half. Unlike Tines I don't think the shift from Youkai of the Week to serious PLOT was problematic in itself, but the writing does fall kind of short in the end when it tries to establish pity towards the antagonist. That felt very forced to me.

Apart from that it's pretty nice.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:but I've been around longer than a year so I think I can survive without being culturalized.

damnit now I can't help but think of TDSA as some sort of EGF Gol Bodolzar

Prepare your anus for inevitable "Minmay Attack", sooner or later in form of magical girls and slice of life :tongue:

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Well Macross folks, what do you say?

I think Merri watched original Orguss some time ago and was not impressed. Other reviews of it have given rather bland impression and unlike eg. Nick I'm not old school mecha afficiando in general which gives me very little reason to check it out.

holy shit Idolmaster ep 8 was great and really entertaining. I wonder if they can top this

They also had some GAINAX sakuga animators doing the action scenes. Damn

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:35 pm

damnit now I can't help but think of TDSA as some sort of EGF Gol Bodolzar

He was the glaug pilot that killed this own squad mates, right?
Prepare your anus for inevitable "Minmay Attack", sooner or later in form of magical girls and slice of life

I have no anus, only a second head for I am....

THE AMPHISBAENA!

I'll be sure to eat your little terrible pop music attack.
I'm not old school mecha afficiando in general which gives me very little reason to check it out.

Not even if I reviewed it and tried to convince you?

Anyway, I finished High School of The Dead and it's OVA. Normally I'd say the ending was bad since it was done on a cliffhanger, but Drifters of The Dead was a nice follow up (only for being a follow up because this is were stop tolerating fan service). I don't know, maybe I kind of like the series because I enjoy B-Movies, but either way it was action packed except on slow eps and the characters weren't too annoying for the most part, so yeah, it was enjoyable.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Return to “Old Stickies”