Rei's portrayal in rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:23 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:People got blood test before marriage? never said they'd get married, anyways..

Yes. It's not as common nowadays, but it used to be a requirement for a marriage license.

Past that...well, it's off topic. If you want to know why incest is bad do some basic research on it. It doesn't really matter if anyone knows about it or not.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:33 pm

If we want to continue the generic Rei, Shinji, and matters of incest discussion, let's do it in this thread -- http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=11465 -- which I've reopened for the purpose.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Well, quoted all the stuff in there. It can be closed again, considering how we just ended the argument of that topic right here.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Bender
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bender » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:35 am

I hate Rei.. Not the real Rei the beautiful philosopher who is enigmatic that we all know and love. I hate this mainstream rendition of Rei that seems like the Betty in a lovers spout. Her feelings are more revealing and makes her seem very hard to care for. It was because of Rei's hidden depths in the Tv series that I like her. It was her struggles that I wanted to understand Rei and liked her. Even if she was quiet, calm, and tender I still cared for her. The Rei in Rebuild of Evangelion is very perplexing and conflicting. Does she want to be a quiet girl who starts little parties being social, convinces Gendo to attend and yet puts on this quiet girl persona.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:28 pm

Well, she isn't going to become a complete extrovert in one night, THAT would be fanfic level. There's nothing conflicting about her portrayal.
She isn't putting on a "quiet girl persona", that's just the way she is - She mantains her mostly-quiet personality because her life shaped her that way and its inflence isn't going to suddenly disappear, even if she is developing proper relationships with people besides Gendo.
It's not like ppl are either super-duper-extroverted or total loners.
Her motiovation to do that party thing is not to be sociable or to project a certain image. She does it because she thinks it's a potentially effective way to archieve a specific goal. (i.e. to make the Ikaris happy/have them get along) This fits neatly within her purpose-centered thought-patterns we always knew, we see Misato commenting on how "straightforward" Rei's methods are etc...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:42 pm

On the one hand I can see how every character in Rebuild seems like a simplification, but the fact of the matter is that we only have half of the story. Even though the events of 2.0 have gone to episode 19, the story is really at the halfway point. Think about how little we knew at episode 13 of the original series. We got some hints, but many of those things (seeing Unit-01’s real face at the end of episode 2, the hints of deeper aspects of Asuka’s character from the end of episode 10, etc.) seem less like acts of foreshadowing, and more of a part of the television format – a hook to tell viewers that there is more than meets the eye here, but is then left alone until much later in the series. With the movies, there is no need for any of that, so all of the twists are being saved for the final acts.

Relating this to Rei, her role in the story so far is a heavy connection to Shinji. In the original series, starting at episode 8, the focus shifted from Rei to Asuka very heavily. Rebuild toned this down, carrying the theme of Shinji and Rei’s relationship from 1.0. What I’m hoping this means is that in 3.0, something akin to the Armisael battle occurs, including Rei’s sacrifice. This would serve the purpose of both increasing and justifying Shinji’s anguish (that she would die after he risked Third Impact to save her), and would justify an increase in the prominence of Asuka and/or Mari’s character (which they both desperately need.) But, I could be completely wrong, in which case I’ll be kinda pissed.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:06 pm

According to the CR, the finale of 2.X was meant to be the equivalent of the ep 23 sacrofice, except it gets subverted and Rei gets saved. So the sacrifice part is considered "finished" by the writers.
She can, of course, still die, but if they do it, they'll wait for the grand finale.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:06 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:According to the CR, the finale of 2.X was meant to be the equivalent of the ep 23 sacrofice, except it gets subverted and Rei gets saved. So the sacrifice part is considered "finished" by the writers.
She can, of course, still die, but if they do it, they'll wait for the grand finale.

Wait, really? Well, I'm still holding out for Rei death, since the idea of someone getting a happy ending in Evangelion is just silly.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:14 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:Wait, really? Well, I'm still holding out for Rei death, since the idea of someone getting a happy ending in Evangelion is just silly.

*Points at EoTV*

Not really. Eva's not nearly as depressing or tragic as people seem to assume. Even EoEoE is strongly subject to interpretation, and can be quite positive depending on how you spin it.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:16 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:*Points at EoTV*

Not really. Eva's not nearly as depressing or tragic as people seem to assume. Even EoEoE is strongly subject to interpretation, and can be quite positive depending on how you spin it.

True. I always did imagine that most people were able to pull themselves out of the LCL after everything happened. But if not, a world with just Shinji and Asuka is the ultimate bad end. :tongue:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:38 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:True. I always did imagine that most people were able to pull themselves out of the LCL after everything happened. But if not, a world with just Shinji and Asuka is the ultimate bad end. :tongue:

Yui's pretty explicit about the fact that that's unlikely, though. Rei also seems to think humanity's future is assured (and she would know...).

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:42 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Yui's pretty explicit about the fact that that's unlikely, though. Rei also seems to think humanity's future is assured (and she would know...).

Oh, I know, I was just joking. They just have a lot of cleaning up to do after all that. (In fact, when I first heard of Rebuild before I knew any details, I though that the title was referring to humanity rebuilding after the events of EoE. I still think that would be an interesting thing to see...)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

ENDING! B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:07 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:Wait, really? Well, I'm still holding out for Rei death, since the idea of someone getting a happy ending in Evangelion is just silly.

That said, the tone Rebuild is taking seems to imply that things will end differently for the characters, not mention the CRC's talk of deciding to avoid Rei II's death, and of "destroying Eva" from the inside.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: ENDING! B/

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:11 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:That said, the tone Rebuild is taking seems to imply that things will end differently for the characters, not mention the CRC's talk of deciding to avoid Rei II's death, and of "destroying Eva" from the inside.

NME's tone thus far is "you stupid shits, we're trolling the fuck out of you and you don't even realize it." Destroying Eva from the inside will be far, far worse than Rei's death could ever be.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:13 pm

Shinji's going to fall in love with Rei, and Rei will asplode in the entry plug, causing Shinji to be sad.

This is what I can interpret.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Re: ENDING! B/

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:13 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:That said, the tone Rebuild is taking seems to imply that things will end differently for the characters, not mention the CRC's talk of deciding to avoid Rei II's death, and of "destroying Eva" from the inside.

But I think that Enokido mentioned that Rei II is still going to die sooner or later, I hope that it's not going to be the case, though.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Reckoner
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Reckoner » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Rebuild Rei just offers up much of the same annoyances that the other Rebuild character portrayals did like Asuka...

They're different characters, and much of the development of Rei in Rebuild seems to be overly simplified... However this alone isn't enough to enrage me. It's the fact that so much of the events and development of Rebuild and NGE are the same, that it just feels patronizing. Rebuild detracts significantly from NGE, but not enough to make it feel like a valuable new experience.

If Rebuild is not really a new experience because it doesn't detract ENOUGH (I mean Rei II potentially dieing again... Really?), I just don't see the value in the entire production. Pretty pictures sure. But why make a overly simplified and generic retelling of the story and characters like Rei?
Anno has let us all down.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:47 pm

View Original PostReckoner wrote:If Rebuild is not really a new experience because it doesn't detract ENOUGH (I mean Rei II potentially dieing again... Really?), I just don't see the value in the entire production. Pretty pictures sure. But why make a overly simplified and generic retelling of the story and characters like Rei?

Well, it seems like that's what the other two movies are going to do. Or at least, that's what we were told from the start. That it would begin the same, and end up in a completely different way. We've just got to get there (and I think we're only going to see less than a handful of scenes reflecting the original series. Especially now that we have SPACE Asuka.)

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:55 pm

Asuka Spaceboots thread, anyone?

Rei better not die. I love her too much.
The Moats of Quotes

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:57 pm

View Original PostReckoner wrote:They're different characters, and much of the development of Rei in Rebuild seems to be overly simplified...

It wasn't really simplified imo, but it was somehow "amazingly fast", you could say "rushed", maybe. Anyway she didn't become completely another character, for example her passiveness when Shinji decided to leave Nerv was quite typical of Rei, a completely different character would have tried to actively do something, instead she simply decided that she'll do her best to help Shinji even in this situation (and the "maternal" attention towards Shinji was already a key aspect of Rei even back in NGE).
View Original PostReckoner wrote:However this alone isn't enough to enrage me. It's the fact that so much of the events and development of Rebuild and NGE are the same, that it just feels patronizing. Rebuild detracts significantly from NGE, but not enough to make it feel like a valuable new experience.

It's surely a matter of taste but I disagree, it detracts enough and it adds enough to create a new experience.
View Original PostReckoner wrote:Pretty pictures sure.

I'm glad to hear it, someone would deny even this point.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”