ADV Sues GAINAX for Live Action Movie Rights

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:16 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote: I don't think Japan even has renewal of any kind.
No, Japan most definitely has Renewal.

That was way too easy.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Postby gwern » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

And the reward for worst joke in the thread goes to...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Seems like a pathetic attempt by ADV to stay afloat now that they've gone under.

ADV never had it in them- creatively or most especially financially- to play it with the big boys. I feel like the "masterminds" at ADV feel they have it in them to reap Lord of the Rings sized rewards. They entered negotiations in 2003 when LOTR ruled the problem. None of them seem to have the foresight to realize the Lord of the Rings didn't just come out of nowhere and drop billions of dollars in New Line's pockets. Rather it took mountains of money to get those films to happen. Yeah, WETA may be part of the deal but they're just an effects company.

This lawsuit seems rather petty. Sounds like Gainax-rightly so- wants to get out negotiations with ADV because they are a nobody. I'd be very surprised if this court ruling-which seems like a pitiful last attempt to stay alive- was in ADV's favor.

If Live Action Evangelion ever does happen it's not going to have Matt Greenfield, Joseph Chou, or ADV associated with it.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:01 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I kind of wonder how this now affects Tiffany Grant and Matt Greenfield's relationship

This is only business. There is no reason for ADV not to file this lawsuit, as the potential gains are enormous.

gwern wrote:I'm not sure ADV has any basis for getting perpetual rights

Apparently they did have the option to purchase them, within a specific timeframe and with specific conditions met. So the case hinges on whether those conditions were met.

Sounds like Gainax-rightly so- wants to get out negotiations with ADV because they are a nobody.

Thankfully, "this guy is a nobody" is not a valid legal defense for breaking a legal contract.

At this point, there's nothing more for us to do but sit back and watch what stories the two sides come up with. (Or maybe they'll settle out of court). And also wonder why Gainax thought that a LAEM movie was only worth $1,000,000 to them -- although, on the other hand, this arrangement would have protected them from all financial risk in the event of a flop. And with Hollywood accounting, every movie is a flop.

Start your popcorn makers.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:30 pm

The best thing that could come of this is that ADV is allowed to keep the rights to the adaptations provided they make an Evangelion film immediately so they hire Roger Corman to make a low-budget live action Eva movie without the intention of releasing it. The film should then be leaked for fans to enjoy without the general population ever becoming aware of it.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:46 pm

I had been thinking about that, actually.

([url]https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/The_Fantastic_Four_%28film%29[/url] if you're wondering what he's referencing).

Tabby-chan
Adam

Postby Tabby-chan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:19 am

Uh-oh, it seems ADV's run out of vagina.

But seriously, guys. This whole dispute is, IMO, one Giant Naked Laugh. GAiNAX never should have considered such desperate, low-lying people to do buisiness with.

I'd say it's time ADV grew up (or, at least, watched the very films they did buisiness with GAiNAX to produce) and recognize that when they're on the end of the line, that's it's time to come to terms with each other and BE ON YOUR MERRY WAY.

Honestly, I don't know who in their right mind selected such immature 12-year-olds to do buisiness with, but I do think that GAiNAX jointed with Khara Studios deliberately in the very case that this might happen. Glad to see that my all-time favourite animation studios are both artistic and smart about when and who they do buisiness with.

Sorry, ADV. Didn't mean to be so-- Wait, yes I did.

Well, a common apology and a laugh.
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:37 am

Are you confusing ADV with someone else? They didn't release the films, they released the series, and did a good job. They worked with GAINAX over the course of some 10 or so years.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:37 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:I had been thinking about that, actually.

([url]https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/The_Fantastic_Four_%28film%29[/url] if you're wondering what he's referencing).

Yeah, I've always been in fear/anticipation of this movie. Its almost a shame, really. A film like that could have been so bad that it would be entertaining to watch without it becoming the definitive form of Evangelion within the U.S. culture, simply because no one other than us would be interested enough to watch it.

McDirty
Adam

Postby McDirty » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:47 pm

$100,000!?

I didn't know Evangelion was worth so little...

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Postby gwern » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:26 pm

View Original PostMcDirty wrote:$100,000!?

I didn't know Evangelion was worth so little...

It's not; what's worth so little (and apparently Gainax now thinks it is worth more, let's not forget, otherwise it'd be *Gainax* suing ADV for nonpayment!) is the option to maybe someday somehow make some kind of film to do with Evangelion.

At every step along the way, a would-be roller-in-money faces steep odds. I don't know what the mortality is for going from option-to-buy-option to actual movie profiting scores of millions, but when all is said and done, it must be like in the single percent range. When you multiply the expectation of failure against the future potential profits, you get a small number...

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:57 pm

View Original PostMcDirty wrote:$100,000!?

$1,000,000. That was just the down payment.

When you think about the fact that Gainax was taking on none of the risk of the production, it starts sounding like a better deal. Still possibly too low, but who knows?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:35 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:$1,000,000.
[...]
When you think about the fact that Gainax was taking on none of the risk of the production, it starts sounding like a better deal. Still possibly too low, but who knows?

Wasn't $1 million also the amount one of the characters in Godzilla vs Mothera: Battle for Earth wanted for the two small girls? :lol: Oh, Gainax! I doubt that was intentional on your part, but it makes me laugh anyway.

(Only the English dub of that film has been released to the States, so it's worth in yen may not have amounted to $1 million U.S. But still...)

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Legal mess is legal. Even though i may have no future as a lawyer now, I will pay close attention to this since it interests me.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:27 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Wasn't $1 million also the amount one of the characters in Godzilla vs Mothera: Battle for Earth wanted for the two small girls? :lol: Oh, Gainax! I doubt that was intentional on your part, but it makes me laugh anyway.

(Only the English dub of that film has been released to the States, so it's worth in yen may not have amounted to $1 million U.S. But still...)

I heard somewhere that $1 million was the amount Funi would need to pay to acquire the rights for EOE
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Seen » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:38 pm

If ADV looses, will this kill them off for good? Does that put the rights to EVA back up in the air?

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:24 am

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Kinda like Harmony Gold squatting on Macross.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

$1 Million DOLLARS! B)

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:34 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:I heard somewhere that $1 million was the amount Funi would need to pay to acquire the rights for EOE

$1 Million is how much Manga paid to acquire the rights when they first brought it over, there's no telling how much Gainax might want for it now.

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Kinda like Harmony Gold squatting on Macross.

I just want them to stop "squatting" on Mechwarrior 5. Seriously, they have the rights to distribute Macross material, nothing else, I don't see how their claims are being upheld like this.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:57 am

Since i have nothing to do, if someone would prepare a visual timeline of the events leading up to this lawsuit and give me a more accurate description of the claim I can try to predict how this will play out. I'm betting at this point ADV is SOL.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Sephizim » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:08 pm

View Original Postsupershinjiasukashipper wrote:I'm betting at this point ADV is SOL.

ADV is the Spear of Longinus?! *Gasp!*

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”